PDA

View Full Version : NHC Mods

deeks01
06-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Attended a paul weller gig at the weekend , the modfather was awesome as was the support act the rifles (even met their guitarist lucas crowther who rubbished the rumours they're splitting up). However while I was expecting an older crowd I wasn't expecting the 'mod' fashion to be in evidence as much as it was and I loved the tranchcoat/parka and scarves theme (wasny so keen on the suits though) anyway I also saw a few younger lads with the mod look and that surprised me as I honestly didn't believe there was anything left of mod culture/fashion in my generation. Anyway the point of all this rambling is I was wondering if any older .netters could give me a quick lowdown on the must haves of mod fashion as like I said I loved the look! :greengrin:

WE ARE THE MODS... :singing: :wink:

.Sean.
06-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Attended a paul weller gig at the weekend , the modfather was awesome as was the support act the rifles (even met their guitarist lucas crowther who rubbished the rumours they're splitting up). However while I was expecting an older crowd I wasn't expecting the 'mod' fashion to be in evidence as much as it was and I loved the tranchcoat/parka and scarves theme (wasny so keen on the suits though) anyway I also saw a few younger lads with the mod look and that surprised me as I honestly didn't believe there was anything left of mod culture/fashion in my generation. Anyway the point of all this rambling is I was wondering if any older .netters could give me a quick lowdown on the must haves of mod fashion as like I said I loved the look! :greengrin:

The Rifles are absolutely superb. A mate of mine saw them at King Tuts last week and apparantly they were phenomeal.

I've always really liked the Mod look, probably as my Dad is still pretty heavily influenced by it. It's sharp and it's smart. I recently bought a Parka and have received a few complimentary comments when i've worn it out. I've got a few Fred Perry polo's and cardigans and they are really making a comeback, although they've never been 'out of fashion'. Ben Sherman have a new range of smart shirts out at the moment aswell, here's hoping santa's good to me... :greengrin

Pretty Green (Liam Gallagher's fashion label) is producing clothes you'll be interested in if you're looking for a Mod-ish look. I'm wearing quite a bit of Pretty Green at the moment, although it is pricey it's well worth the cash as it's top-quality stuff. Check it out! :agree:

CB_NO3
06-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Glasgow has a huge Mod scene, probably the biggest in the UK. I have been to the last two Glasgow Mod weekenders and they are good. Normally a good few hundred scooters turn up for the ride out on the Sunday. Regarding the Parka/trenchcoat, Mods only wore them in 60s on their scooters to cover their suits. You cant just wear a parka and expect it to look the part, thats probaly the least important bit of the dress. Now most guys in suits look class but you have to be able to pull it off. Some guys just wear nice dress trousers with a polo neck. If you go to a Mod night in Glasgow you cant really wear jeans, the whole point in Mod fashion is to look smart as possible. Although a few younger guys will wear jeans (me included) but they will have to be dressed jeans. Get yourself a couple of Paisley scarves, you can pick them up pretty cheap and will cost anything from £10 to £40.

KdyHby
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.themodgeneration.com/photo/kelso-may-2010-015-7?context=user

It's a great weekend when the Mods make their annual pilgrimage to Kelsae:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlPi_Q-I1FE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hDGvF7zUQ&feature=related

CB_NO3
06-12-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.themodgeneration.com/photo/kelso-may-2010-015-7?context=user

It's a great weekend when the Mods make their annual pilgrimage to Kelsae:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlPi_Q-I1FE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hDGvF7zUQ&feature=related
Kelso is good, it has something for everyone but it aint a Mod rally, its more a scooter rally, out the 400-500 people there, there will be lucky if their is 20 mods there.

seanraff07
06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
The Rifles are absolutely superb. A mate of mine saw them at King Tuts last week and apparantly they were phenomeal.

I've always really liked the Mod look, probably as my Dad is still pretty heavily influenced by it. It's sharp and it's smart. I recently bought a Parka and have received a few complimentary comments when i've worn it out. I've got a few Fred Perry polo's and cardigans and they are really making a comeback, although they've never been 'out of fashion'. Ben Sherman have a new range of smart shirts out at the moment aswell, here's hoping santa's good to me... :greengrin

Pretty Green (Liam Gallagher's fashion label) is producing clothes you'll be interested in if you're looking for a Mod-ish look. I'm wearing quite a bit of Pretty Green at the moment, although it is pricey it's well worth the cash as it's top-quality stuff. Check it out! :agree:

I agree Fred Perry polos are really smart, think i'm getting a Pretty Green polo for christmas.

deeks01
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM

aye the rifles were class , I'll definately be seeing them again at some point hopefully as a main feature rather than support act :greengrin:

Had a look at the pretty green site and have to say it looks top notch , have ordered a black v-neck to go over the fred perry polo's I have already and a black parka as well , think its fair to say they'll be more money going their way with the next paycheck as well. :greengrin:

cheers

deeks01
06-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Glasgow has a huge Mod scene, probably the biggest in the UK. I have been to the last two Glasgow Mod weekenders and they are good. Normally a good few hundred scooters turn up for the ride out on the Sunday. Regarding the Parka/trenchcoat, Mods only wore them in 60s on their scooters to cover their suits. You cant just wear a parka and expect it to look the part, thats probaly the least important bit of the dress. Now most guys in suits look class but you have to be able to pull it off. Some guys just wear nice dress trousers with a polo neck. If you go to a Mod night in Glasgow you cant really wear jeans, the whole point in Mod fashion is to look smart as possible. Although a few younger guys will wear jeans (me included) but they will have to be dressed jeans. Get yourself a couple of Paisley scarves, you can pick them up pretty cheap and will cost anything from £10 to £40.

ah I see... the idea of dress jeans and shirt appeals more than rhe suit I have to say and the scarf obviously. I'll look more into the glasgow mod scene as it certainly appeals but I'm relatively new to this kind of culture.

CB_NO3
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
ah I see... the idea of dress jeans and shirt appeals more than rhe suit I have to say and the scarf obviously. I'll look more into the glasgow mod scene as it certainly appeals but I'm relatively new to this kind of culture.
Glasgow has a club night on the last Friday of every month called Friday Street. The music is 60s soul, RnB and some ska. Its always busy. I would not recommend it if its Mod revival stuff you want to listen to.

As for Pretty Green, I think the clothes are average at best and really over priced. All your doing is making Gallagher richer. But thats my opinion I certainly would not pay over £400 for an average parka because it has a Pretty Green badge on it. A pair of Clarkes desert boots will cost you £60, a pair of Clarkes desert with a pretty green badge on them will cost you £90. If this was not Liam Gallagers label, nobody would care about it.

easty
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Glasgow has a club night on the last Friday of every month called Friday Street. The music is 60s soul, RnB and some ska. Its always busy. I would not recommend it if its Mod revival stuff you want to listen to.

As for Pretty Green, I think the clothes are average at best and really over priced. All your doing is making Gallagher richer. But thats my opinion I certainly would not pay over £400 for an average parka because it has a Pretty Green badge on it. A pair of Clarkes desert boots will cost you £60, a pair of Clarkes desert with a pretty green badge on them will cost you £90. If this was not Liam Gallagers label, nobody would care about it.

I think the Pretty Green stuff is pretty cool. Clearly you are paying more because it's got a Pretty Green badge on it but isn't that the case with just about everything nowadays? If you buy a tin of beans they'll taste more or less the same whether its Heinz of Tesco Value....

CB_NO3
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I think the Pretty Green stuff is pretty cool. Clearly you are paying more because it's got a Pretty Green badge on it but isn't that the case with just about everything nowadays? If you buy a tin of beans they'll taste more or less the same whether its Heinz of Tesco Value....
So your only really buying this because it has Liam Gallaghers name attached to it?. The clothes are ok but nothing is new. Fred Perry (not the high street range), John Smedley, Clarkes and Tootal and so on have been creating these clothes for 40 years now with more detail and they are smarter and cheaper. Liam Gallagher has turned up out the blue created average clothes, slapped his name on it and the British public lap it up.

easty
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
So your only really buying this because it has Liam Gallaghers name attached to it?. The clothes are ok but nothing is new. Fred Perry (not the high street range), John Smedley, Clarkes and Tootal and so on have been creating these clothes for 40 years now with more detail and they are smarter and cheaper. Liam Gallagher has turned up out the blue created average clothes, slapped his name on it and the British public lap it up.

No, you've obviously missed my point completely. My point is that Pretty Green, Nike, BMW, Sony, Fred Perry etc....you're always paying more for the label. Whether you want to buy Pretty Green clothes or not, there will still be purchases that you make because you are buying into the attached messages/meanings that come with the purchase you are making. It's a form of conspicuous consumption.

So Fred Perry is ok but Pretty Green isn't? Don't you think you could get polo shirt, for example, that's just as well made from elsewhere and for cheaper than it would cost for a Fred Perry one?

Simple supply and demand would suggest that the pricing for Pretty Green clothes probably isn't wrong. There's things on the website I'd like to buy but they're sold out.

.Sean.
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I like Pretty Green as it's smart, very good quality, it's cool and not many folk are wearing it. The high price doesn't bother me as I believe you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, you buy twice.

deeks01
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm looking forward to getting my pretty green stuff through as I think it looks top notch but more because I don't know anyone who wears it. As for the parka I bought it was the cheaper version , I'm also eyeing up a lambretta fishtail parka but I doubt I'll actually buy it as I've got the pretty green one now.

Had a look at john smedley stuff and was very impressed , I'll probably try that some time in the next wee while as well.

degenerated
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM

that takes me back, i remember the days of hanging about cockburn street (the name of the shop escapes me for now) in my youth wearing sta press, gibson shoes, desert boots and button downs & cycling tops etc and going to mad hatters on a friday night whilst hammered on illegaly procured vodka :greengrin. still have a lot of the old revival stuff on vinyl as well - the purple hearts, the chords, small ads, circles, killermeters, squire, secret affair, makin' time etc.

as previously suggested pretty green do some decent kit, grenson make some great shoes (my personal favourite are my stanley brogues (http://www.uniquemenswear.co.uk/footwear-c2/grenson-brogues-stanley-p25152?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=29840&utm_campaign=froogle#29840))

some of the more discreet stone island stuff like polo shirts, cp company, john smedley, baracuta, gabicci....... Actually there's quite a lot of crossover between the smarter terrace clobber and the stuff that mods appear to favour these days :agree:

http://www.modculture.co.uk/forum2/index.php?PHPSESSID=91c93ff8a5eb8fd609a990338101f3 ce&board=10.0

.Sean.
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
that takes me back, i remember the days of hanging about cockburn street (the name of the shop escapes me for now) in my youth wearing sta press, gibson shoes, desert boots and button downs & cycling tops etc and going to mad hatters on a friday night whilst hammered on illegaly procured vodka :greengrin. still have a lot of the old revival stuff on vinyl as well - the purple hearts, the chords, small ads, circles, killermeters, squire, secret affair, makin' time etc.

as previously suggested pretty green do some decent kit, grenson make some great shoes (my personal favourite are my stanley brogues (http://www.uniquemenswear.co.uk/footwear-c2/grenson-brogues-stanley-p25152?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=29840&utm_campaign=froogle#29840))

some of the more discreet stone island stuff like polo shirts, cp company, john smedley, baracuta, gabicci....... Actually there's quite a lot of crossover between the smarter terrace clobber and the stuff that mods appear to favour these days :agree:

http://www.modculture.co.uk/forum2/index.php?PHPSESSID=91c93ff8a5eb8fd609a990338101f3 ce&board=10.0
Definately :agree:

I've a Baracuta harrington jacket, it's smart as. Gabicci is excellent quality and it fits perfect, I have a lemon polo shirt and a grey wool v-kneck.

As for desert boots, i've seen Ben Sherman ones I quite fancy.

degenerated
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Definately :agree:

I've a Baracuta harrington jacket, it's smart as. Gabicci is excellent quality and it fits perfect, I have a lemon polo shirt and a grey wool v-kneck.

As for desert boots, i've seen Ben Sherman ones I quite fancy.

i like the clarks ones, i'll wait till the weather turns before investing in a new pair.

i picked a pair of the desert trek up for £30 in clarks on princes street last year, superb shoes and more suited to the winter weather than the suede boots :agree:

http://www.uniquemenswear.co.uk/footwear-c2/clarks-originals-clarks-originals-desert-trek-shoes-tan-p23746?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=23751&utm_campaign=froogle#23751

johnbc70
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I like Pretty Green as it's smart, very good quality, it's cool and not many folk are wearing it. The high price doesn't bother me as I believe you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, you buy twice.

I also think the Pretty Green clothes look smart. What are they like size wise i.e. is a large a large (if you know what I mean) as sometimes a large in certain 'designer' brands are not really large but medium. Hope you know what I mean....if I was buying a polo shirt in M&S then I would buy a large size and that would fit me.

.Sean.
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I also think the Pretty Green clothes look smart. What are they like size wise i.e. is a large a large (if you know what I mean) as sometimes a large in certain 'designer' brands are not really large but medium. Hope you know what I mean....if I was buying a polo shirt in M&S then I would buy a large size and that would fit me.
Pretty Green sizing is fine, I know what you mean and i'd say that it is 'normal sizing' :agree:

Then again i'm pretty slim and the majority of Pretty Green seems slim-fitting. It's certainly not baggy.

CB_NO3
14-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I suppose its each to their own. I just think if I was going to start a new fashion label I would try making it unique rathering copying everyone else's ideas and attaching my name to it at double the price. I mean the marino wool cardigans are basically rip offs from John Smedley, the polo shirts are exactly the same as Ben Sherman and Fred Perry, the paisley scrafs have been about since the 60s, and the Pretty Green ones are boring with no detail. The Clarkes shoes well, they are Clarkes, not much though put into that and Parkas have been about since the end of World War 2. My point is if you liked these clothes, you would have had them already with more detail and they would be better priced and more original.

easty
14-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I suppose its each to their own. I just think if I was going to start a new fashion label I would try making it unique rathering copying everyone else's ideas and attaching my name to it at double the price. I mean the marino wool cardigans are basically rip offs from John Smedley, the polo shirts are exactly the same as Ben Sherman and Fred Perry, the paisley scrafs have been about since the 60s, and the Pretty Green ones are boring with no detail. The Clarkes shoes well, they are Clarkes, not much though put into that and Parkas have been about since the end of World War 2. My point is if you liked these clothes, you would have had them already with more detail and they would be better priced and more original.

What would you do to make a polo shirt or a scarf or a parka different?

CB_NO3
14-12-2010, 02:03 PM
What would you do to make a polo shirt or a scarf or a parka different?

To make it that bit different and more unique. To show that you have put a bit thought into your design.