PDA

View Full Version : How to Catch Out Slackers (Snow Content)

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm sure we all know people who can't get to work because they are snowed in. We also know people who say they can't get to work because they are snowed in.

My advice to employers is, send out taxis for them. Those who the taxi can't bring in have a genuine excuse. Those who the taxi can bring in should be asked to stump up the fare.

Simples

MSK
06-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm sure we all know people who can't get to work because they are snowed in. We also know people who say they can't get to work because they are snowed in.

My advice to employers is, send out taxis for them. Those who the taxi can't bring in have a genuine excuse. Those who the taxi can bring in should be asked to stump up the fare.SimplesAnd those of us that cant afford to pay for a taxi to work..?

Sylar
06-12-2010, 03:12 PM

My advice to employers is, send out taxis for them. Those who the taxi can't bring in have a genuine excuse. Those who the taxi can bring in should be asked to stump up the fare.

Simples

Would be an awful shame to send a taxi all the way from Aberdeen to Dundee, just for it to not be able to get up the hill to my house once it got here :greengrin

Having said that, at least it's cleared enough that I can walk down to the train station - which is fine and well so long as the trains are running...

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 03:14 PM
And those of us that cant afford to pay for a taxi to work..?

My point is, if the taxi can get in, you can get out. Fair enough if there's no bus service, and you normally rely on that. If you are normally a driver though, and a cab can pick you up, your defence that you can't drive to work is shaky.

MSK
06-12-2010, 03:30 PM
My point is, if the taxi can get in, you can get out. Fair enough if there's no bus service, and you normally rely on that. If you are normally a driver though, and a cab can pick you up, your defence that you can't drive to work is shaky.And my point is if ye rely on the bus but they are off & ye cannae afford a taxi then yer ****ed ...providing ye cannae walk ..

As an aside ...one o oor twilights ordered a cab home a few nights ago ..i advised her to meet the cab at the gates o the Royal Ed because the car park was a no-go outside my unit ..she ignored me ..cab came into our car park & got stuck for over 2 hrs ...:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
And my point is if ye rely on the bus but they are off & ye cannae afford a taxi then yer ****ed ...providing ye cannae walk ..

As an aside ...one o oor twilights ordered a cab home a few nights ago ..i advised her to meet the cab at the gates o the Royal Ed because the car park was a no-go outside my unit ..she ignored me ..cab came into our car park & got stuck for over 2 hrs ...:greengrin

Looks like my presentation to the Industrial Society needs some refinement. :hmmm:

ps The Royal Ed. car park been cleared yet? It was in a shocking state on Friday.

iwasthere1972
06-12-2010, 03:59 PM

Simples

The taxi fare for me from Edinburgh to Haddington would take a large slice of my pay so no thanks. What's your telephone number in case I need a lift?

MSK
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Looks like my presentation to the Industrial Society needs some refinement. :hmmm:

ps The Royal Ed. car park been cleared yet? It was in a shocking state on Friday.Most of the roads have FR ...still best avoided if driving though ..nightmare of a place when it snows ...:agree:

Im based behind the Scottish ambulance HQ & we have to go through their car park to access our units ..absolute mare at the moment ..:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Most of the roads have FR ...still best avoided if driving though ..nightmare of a place when it snows ...:agree:

Im based behind the Scottish ambulance HQ & we have to go through their car park to access our units ..absolute mare at the moment ..:agree:

Cheers. :thumbsup:

.Sean.
06-12-2010, 04:52 PM
The taxi fare for me from Edinburgh to Haddington would take a large slice of my pay so no thanks. What's your telephone number in case I need a lift?
Try paying the taxi fare on a Saturday or Sunday at about half three in the morning after a night up the toon... :grr:

Taxi companies = Robbing bassas :agree:

Wembley67
06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
With all respect Sean you know the price prior to going out on a saturday, keep the money aside, pre book a private, get a bus etc...plenty options. Taxis are pricey but we are aware of that before we jump in. Oh and I'm not a cabbie, I have a soul!

Try paying the taxi fare on a Saturday or Sunday at about half three in the morning after a night up the toon... :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM

Don't like the price, don't get in, or move closer to Edinburgh. The fact is the cabbie is only making up for the business he'd lose doing short runs in the town at that time of night.

By the time he gets back to Edinburgh from the sticks, all the business will be gone. Mind you, for the price of a run to Haddington, you'd probably be as cheap with a B&B would you not?

.Sean.
06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Don't like the price, don't get in, or move closer to Edinburgh. The fact is the cabbie is only making up for the business he'd lose doing short runs in the town at that time of night.

By the time he gets back to Edinburgh from the sticks, all the business will be gone. Mind you, for the price of a run to Haddington, you'd probably be as cheap with a B&B would you not?
B&B's often don't let you take back extra 'guests' though :wink:

Not too often I need to get a taxi back as I can usually stay at my mates, it's just a bit of an inconvenience having to pay around £40 a taxi now and again.

Phil D. Rolls
07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Not too often I need to get a taxi back as I can usually stay at my mates, it's just a bit of an inconvenience having to pay around £40 a taxi now and again.

It's a lot of money. :agree:

Hibbyradge
07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

If you book in advance, you can book a travelodge in central Edinburgh for less than £40.

e.g. 15 January Travelodge Learmonth, £35.75.

"Guests" allowed.

Moulin Yarns
07-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Simples

A number of years ago, I drove from Pitlochry to Perth through the snow (28miles) and got to work. A colleague drove from Kirkcaldy to Perth and got to work, passing our manager's home on the way. Guess who phoned to say he couldn't make it because of the snow!!!???

greenlex
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
A number of years ago, I drove from Pitlochry to Perth through the snow (28miles) and got to work. A colleague drove from Kirkcaldy to Perth and got to work, passing our manager's home on the way. Guess who phoned to say he couldn't make it because of the snow!!!???

Your colleague?

Moulin Yarns
10-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Your colleague?

Our manager, he said he was snowed in 5 miles from work, while the guy from Kirkcaldy drove past his front door.