PDA

View Full Version : World cup bids - Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022

Pages : [1] 2

H18sry
29-11-2010, 03:53 PM
The bidding to host the WC 2018 takes place this week. Who would be your choice to host it.

SteveHFC
29-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Holland/Belgium :agree:

Killiehibbie
29-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Does it matter when our players will be spectators?

Sylar
29-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I always enjoy seeing what local culture the fans of the host country bring to the floor.

The Vuvuzelas drew as much attention as the football (sometimes more-so) during the last World Cup. The sheer noise and passion of the Korean/Japanese fans was superb last in 2002. I was in Germany for the 2006 World Cup and it was great travelling around the various cities and seeing different fans enjoying the atmosphere and local German food/drink/activities.

As a result, I think either the Netherlands/Belgium or Russia would be splendid for something a wee bit different. Although having it in England would make it quite accessible, it would be horrible if Scotland qualified, to only make it over the border. Granted, that doesn't seem likely, but stranger things have happened :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-11-2010, 04:43 PM
England would be handy, but I'll be happy with anywhere but Russia.

Way too expensive there.

McKenzie
29-11-2010, 04:47 PM
England so i can go :thumbsup: and so our players don't have jet lag :wink:

seanraff07
29-11-2010, 04:48 PM
England so i can hopefully make it to a game.. something tells me it won't be a Scotland one though.:boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
29-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Need to get my ABE t-shirt out again. :greengrin

Seriously, I don't really mind where the World Cup is held as long as it's not Russia. If it was held there, I think the atmospheres would be rotten as it's like that any time I've seen a Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow etc etc. match on TV.

snooky
29-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Checked up on Nostradamus's predictions.
He never said anything about the 2018 World Cup but did mention the World is coming to an end in December 2012.

Worth a punt?

hibiedude
29-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Spain/Portugal

I don't think England will get the thumbs up

Minder
29-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Checked up on Nostradamus's predictions.
He never said anything about the 2018 World Cup but did mention the World is coming to an end in December 2012.

Worth a punt?

Thank god its December , means we have 2 chances left at the cup rather than 1.

SkintHibby
29-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I voted Russia for political reasons (although politics should have no place in sport).
Russians are still deeply distrustful of the outside world and having thousands of foreigners in their land would help dissolve their paranoia.

Anyone but England though - could not stand them cheating their way to world glory again.

ScottB
29-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd like to see it in England, but their medias campaign into the process has most likely torpedoed any chance they had of hosting it, they will have put a lot of noses out of joint.

So that being said, Russia, because A) It's never been there before and B) It will mean one more place in the tournament is open than if it a joint bid wins.

ionahibby
29-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Holland/belgium for me! Although would probably need to start saving euros now with some of the prices over there 22 euros for 2 drinks in one place i went to a couple of months back :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
29-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I always enjoy seeing what local culture the fans of the host country bring to the floor.

As a result, I think either the Netherlands/Belgium or Russia would be splendid for something a wee bit different. Although having it in England would make it quite accessible, it would be horrible if Scotland qualified, to only make it over the border. Granted, that doesn't seem likely, but stranger things have happened :greengrin

Holland/Belgium had the Euros a few years ago - 2000 I think?

Spain/Portugal

I don't think England will get the thumbs up

Not greased enough palms?

FifeHibby
29-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Spain/Portugal would be ideal to combine with holidays.
Just like 2004 when the Euros was in Portugal

Malthibby
29-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Holland/Belgium. Just across the water & not England.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2010, 06:45 PM
England would be a poor choice. Hotels and bars would go into full rip-off mode and I'd resent watching a game in a shabby, cultureless dump (which all English towns outside London pretty much are.)

I'd much rather be lying on a beach in Spain bronzing those abs or sitting in a continental piazza, drinking proper beer than the gassy, rancid chemicals I'd pay about seven quid for the priviledge of drinking.

Who wants to go somewhere that's just as **** as Scotland fir the greatest sports event?

Woody1985
29-11-2010, 08:08 PM
England so i can go :thumbsup: and so our players don't have jet lag :wink:

That'll depend on where they choose to go on holiday!

leithsansiro
30-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I voted Russia - it's never been in the region before and it'll give them the impetus to push forward on transport and integrated reform.

Phil MaGlass
30-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Holland/belgium for me! Although would probably need to start saving euros now with some of the prices over there 22 euros for 2 drinks in one place i went to a couple of months back :grr:

you must have been in some naughty bars then, prices are not that bad, roughly 4 euros for a pint is the norm.

NOLA
30-11-2010, 11:16 AM
spain/portugal would be grand! good weather and sleeping out at night in a campsite:thumbsup: plus the local cops might be reined in a bit when" dealing" with fans from other countrys:wink:

heretoday
30-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe 2014 in Rio will revitalise the tournament. I have to say I've found the last couple of World Cups less than rivetting.

It's more exciting listening to the pompous bores in the media - on both sides of the Panorama fence - getting on their moral high horses.

For me, they should hold it in Russia for several reasons, not least the fact that they've never staged it yet!

I suppose there would be logistical difficulties due to time-zones, travel distances etc.

sesoim
01-12-2010, 01:35 AM
I'd prefer England. If a double application gets accepted, that means even fewer qualification places are available for Scotland. As for Russia, I can't see many folk going there, it will just be rich fans that can afford to travel there (again). But money will talk with FIFA, as it alway does.

Renfrew_Hibby
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
For the political and cultural reasons stated above it has to be Russia for me.
It would be amazing and open up Russia to the world, a world that doesn't know much of Russia apart from outdated perceptions.
From the muslim city of Kazan to Samara and the cities of the Volga region it would be wonderful!
It's just a shame that Russia is just so big that the whole bid is contained in the west of this massive country as there is soem amazing cities and cultures beyond the Urals.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I simply cannot believe people have voted for England on here, think about all the ****** that comes with anything they are in, they won't have to qualify if they are awarded it and the media and all their deluded fans will have the cup won without even kicking a ball.

I for one don't want them getting it, how many days until 2018?, yep your right....very long one's

:agree:

jackhfc
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Does it matter when our players will be spectators?

Sir David Gray
01-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Apparently they're all confident of a win down south because, according to Lord Coe and David Beckham, the English Prime Minister and future King of England are both in Zurich supporting the cause. :bitchy:

Forget what I said earlier, come on Russia. :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
01-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Apparently they're all confident of a win down south because, according to Lord Coe and David Beckham, the English Prime Minister and future King of England are both in Zurich supporting the cause. :bitchy:

Forget what I said earlier, come on Russia. :agree:

I noticed yesterday that they were 2nd or maybe even 3rd faves to get the nod but they think Beckhams presence has pushed them up to the bookies favourites.

What a load of tosh

crewetollhibee
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Any bid bar England please. It would dominate SSN for the next EIGHT years; seriously we would never hear the end of it. Another thing for the older readers, do you remember when they hosted Euro 96, all we got from Venables et al was how they never played any competitive games before-hand. Don't bid to hold the thing then !!!!!!

Removed
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Any bid bar England please. It would dominate SSN for the next EIGHT years; seriously we would never hear the end of it. Another thing for the older readers, do you remember when they hosted Euro 96, all we got from Venables et al was how they never played any competitive games before-hand. Don't bid to hold the thing then !!!!!!

:faf: what you mean anyone over early 20's

There are plenty folk on here who will remember '66 :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM

The other thing being is if they win it, will they bend the rules ala 66 and 96 and hold all their matches at wembley?

Something no other home nation does

crewetollhibee
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
The other thing being is if they win it, will they bend the rules ala 66 and 96 and hold all their matches at wembley?

Exactamundo ! Aren't they insufferable enough as it is, without WC 2018 latest news, starting from next month onwards. The next WC ( and indeed the next 2 Euro Championships) would be totally insignificant as the clock rumbles on towards the next remix of Baddiel and Skinner. God preserve us !!!!!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Exactamundo ! Aren't they insufferable enough as it is, without WC 2018 latest news, starting from next month onwards. The next WC ( and indeed the next 2 Euro Championships) would be totally insignificant as the clock rumbles on towards the next remix of Baddiel and Skinner. God preserve us !!!!!!

And not forgetting Fat Les.......:bitchy:

James70
02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Anyone but England please!!!

How is it that other countries can put in joint bids, ie Spain/Portugal & Holland/Belgium but England always have to keep these things to themselves. They could easily put in a bid for the 4 home nations and spread the honour around, we are after all a United Kingdom. England would still get the lion's share of the matches but it would at least give Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland a bit of a look in.

It really bugs me that the Prime Minister and King in waiting are in Zurich representing England and I am dreading the media reaction if England win the bid.

Let's face it, the only chance England have of winning the trophy again is if they are able to play all their matches at Wembley like they did in 1966.

Oh, by the way I voted for Spain/Portugal.

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Don't hold out much hope for the Dutch and Belgians bid after that presentation.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I noticed yesterday that they were 2nd or maybe even 3rd faves to get the nod but they think Beckhams presence has pushed them up to the bookies favourites.

What a load of tosh

I'm not so sure it is a load of tosh. There is a strong belief that it was the late appearance of David Beckham that swung the 2012 Olympics away from Paris and into the hands of London.

Love him or loathe him the guy is a sporting and cultural icon and has a certain level of influence.

lucky
02-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I hope England get it. Be a major boost to the British economy. Also they have the best stadiums along with Spain but they had it in 1982. Russia would be a nightmare with the travelling also with the crime and corruption. The lowlands bid is no happening just to plain

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
I hope England get it. Be a major boost to the British economy. Also they have the best stadiums along with Spain but they had it in 1982. Russia would be a nightmare with the travelling also with the crime and corruption. The lowlands bid is no happening just to plain

After watching Panorama the other night this makes me think that might make Russia favourites.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Their presentation has certainly been confident and convincing.

Won't be surprised if FIFA give it to them.

heretoday
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Anyone but England please!!!

How is it that other countries can put in joint bids, ie Spain/Portugal & Holland/Belgium but England always have to keep these things to themselves. They could easily put in a bid for the 4 home nations and spread the honour around, we are after all a United Kingdom. England would still get the lion's share of the matches but it would at least give Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland a bit of a look in.

It really bugs me that the Prime Minister and King in waiting are in Zurich representing England and I am dreading the media reaction if England win the bid.

Let's face it, the only chance England have of winning the trophy again is if they are able to play all their matches at Wembley like they did in 1966.

Oh, by the way I voted for Spain/Portugal.

I keep thinking Cameron and William shouldn't be there at all. They should be back here running a soup kitchen or meals on wheels or something. They'd get more brownie points doing that.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
After watching England’s presentation I’m more convinced it will be Spain/Portugal

All this nonsense about football coming home will come back to haunt them at 3.00pm

HOPEFULLY :greengrin

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
The Russian presentation was going very well until yon politician stepped up.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
William is the "future king of England" according to David Cameron as well. :bitchy:

I can just about accept David Beckham making that kind of error but for Cameron to come out with that is just disgraceful.

It's no wonder the Americans and other folk in Europe etc fail to acknowledge the difference between England and the United Kingdom, when the Prime Minister of the UNITED KINGDOM even makes that error.

The lot of them can go and get stuffed. :bye:

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
William is the "future king of England" according to David Cameron as well. :bitchy:

I can just about accept David Beckham making that kind of error but for Cameron to come out with that is just disgraceful.

It's no wonder the Americans and other folk in Europe etc fail to acknowledge the difference between England and the United Kingdom, when the Prime Minister of the UNITED KINGDOM even makes that error.

He is the future King of England though. As he is the future King of Scotland, Wales and all the other Commonwealth countries.

I don't think that was a mistake at all. England are bidding for the World Cup alone and Prince William is there to represent England, not the rest of the UK.

NOLA
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
i think that because London/England won the olympics bid for 2012, they shouldnt be allowed to host such a big sporting event only 6 years later, imo

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 11:05 AM
i think that because London/England won the olympics bid for 2012, they shouldnt be allowed to host such a big sporting event only 6 years later, imo

Didn't stop Mexico in 1968 and 1970 or the USA in 1994 and 1996. Even Spain in 1982 and 1992 wasn't a million miles a part.

If anything it is a positive because the infastructure improvements are in place and the country is geared up to host a major event.

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Couldnt agree more with that.

It drives me feekin' mental when Americans say England when the mean the UK. If I ever get the chance I am going to thank an American for California helping us in 2 wars. When he says " you mean the USA" I will say " well its the same thing isnt it ? see how they bloody like it. :grr:

As for Cameron ... Like every upper class twit of his ilk he thinks of the UK as England so you cant be surprised when he says it in public. As for the future king of England ....... Who cares, we should be a republic by now anyway.

Spain Portugal or Belgium Netherlands for me. but deffo not England. In a pure football sense its a no brainer for me that they should get it, but I just couldnt stand the bloody ' footballs coming home ' bollocks for a month :bitchy:

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Who was the blonde getting out of the motor on SSN the noo? Must be Russian! :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I hope its England. It'll be brilliant to see them getting pumped on their own patch after building it up so much.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
The London Olympics, Prince William's wedding and the potential World Cup 2018 - how much will they cost to fund?

How much will other parts of the UK be expected to pay towards something which will in no way benefit us?

PeeJay
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
No brainer for me - has to be England - I remember 66 and it was a a magical time - even though Scotland weren't involved - if a British team won it, I'd be over the moon again.

It'd be great for the UK, great for kids all over the country, great for UK football fans. If some people in Scotland want to be upset about it for any reason, then - IMO - they should actually direct their ire at the corrupt officials in FIFA, and how it organises the event and anything related to it: now there is a genuine reason to get upset.

C'mon England!:greengrin

Frazerbob
02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
If the miracle does happen and we qualify, I'd rather go somewhere interesting. If we don't qualify, I really can't think of anything worse than our nearest and dearest having a party which we aren't invited to.

Also, they wont need to qualify.

Anyone But England!

GreenCastle
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Guess where the next World Cup and Olympics after that are being held...

Brazil and Rio - 2014 and 2016

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 12:05 PM
He is the future King of England though. As he is the future King of Scotland, Wales and all the other Commonwealth countries.

I don't think that was a mistake at all. England are bidding for the World Cup alone and Prince William is there to represent England, not the rest of the UK.

That's not what they mean though. It is completely typical of the general English mentality that England=United Kingdom.

Do you really think David Cameron and Prince William would be in Zurich just now, lobbying for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland to get the World Cup if any of them were bidding to host it? Cameron might send a token "good luck" message to them if they were going for the World Cup but there is absolutely no chance that he would be making the kind of effort that he is currently making for England.

Also, even if he did go, Prince William would not be getting referred to as "the future King of Scotland". You can bet your boots on that.

I can understand why William is there just now as he is the President of the FA but I would argue until I'm blue in the face that he is NOT the future King of England and referring to him as that just encourages people from all over the world to continually make that same mistake.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
That's not what they mean though. It is completely typical of the general English mentality that England=United Kingdom.

Do you really think David Cameron and Prince William would be in Zurich just now, lobbying for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland to get the World Cup if any of them were bidding to host it? Cameron might send a token "good luck" message to them if they were going for the World Cup but there is absolutely no chance that he would be making the kind of effort that he is currently making for England.

Also, even if he did go, Prince William would not be getting referred to as "the future King of Scotland". You can bet your boots on that.

I can understand why William is there just now as he is the President of the FA but I would argue until I'm blue in the face that he is NOT the future King of England and referring to him as that just encourages people from all over the world to continually make that same mistake.

Of course David Cameron and Prince William wouldn't be lobbying for Scotland - we'd have representatives from Scotland - we'd also never be in the position of bidding for a World Cup, as we don't have the infrastructure for a sole bid. Even if we had a collective bid from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (A Celtic World Cup), we'd have representatives from those nations.

They also referred to Prince William as the Prince of Wales - how does that fit into your whinge? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 12:17 PM

Do you really believe that being the parochial wee nation that we are that there would be any desire amongst the public to have David Cameron front a Scottish bid to host the World Cup? Can you really imagine wee fat Eck stepping aside and allowing Dave or William a chance to stand up for Scotland?

And you can argue until you are blue in the face if you like but the fact is William IS the future King of England just as he is the future King of Canada, Australia, the Isle of Man etc etc. The argument that he would never be referred to as a fture King of Scotland is pretty much irrelevant becasue further to my previous point there is simply no way the majority of Scottish people would accept him being a major player in a Scottish bid to host anything.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
The London Olympics, Prince William's wedding and the potential World Cup 2018 - how much will they cost to fund?

How much will other parts of the UK be expected to pay towards something which will in no way benefit us?

I don't think that's strictly true to be honest. If Newcastle and/or Sunderland are chosen to host matches, I can see a lot of people making the short trip up to Edinburgh and maybe Glasgow as well and spending some money up here. If Bristol is chosen as a host city, I can see people making the short trip into Cardiff and spending money in Wales as well.

But I would accept that the money that the other countries in the UK would be expected to provide would probably far outweigh the money that the economies in Scotland and Wales would generate if the World Cup goes to England.

It's Northern Ireland that I feel sorry for. They're certainly not going to see any benefit from the World Cup coming to England as there's a sea separating them!

Hibs Class
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM

If they do win the finals in 2018 at least this time around the Russian officials definitely won't be on their side!

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
England please so that I can rent out my spare room to unsuspecting tourists for the games at Liverpool, Old Trafford and Eastlands :agree:

Stew the Hibee
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Russia for me. It has all the stadia, and with plays such as Zhirkov and Arshavin now getting a bit more exposure then their football is now more in the eye of UEFA. Plus they haven't held the thing before, and so for those reasons they would get my vote.

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Russia for me. It has all the stadia, and with plays such as Zhirkov and Arshavin now getting a bit more exposure then their football is now more in the eye of UEFA. Plus they haven't held the thing before, and so for those reasons they would get my vote.

Does it? It was chaos when Moscow hosted the Champions League final from what I remember.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Of course David Cameron and Prince William wouldn't be lobbying for Scotland - we'd have representatives from Scotland - we'd also never be in the position of bidding for a World Cup, as we don't have the infrastructure for a sole bid. Even if we had a collective bid from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (A Celtic World Cup), we'd have representatives from those nations.

They also referred to Prince William as the Prince of Wales - how does that fit into your whinge? :greengrin

First of all, mention of a Scottish bid to host the World Cup was purely hypothetical and for argument's sake only. I realise that we wouldn't be able to host the World Cup, at least not on our own.

I understand what you're saying. Of course Alex Salmond would be the one to be most involved in any Scottish bid but, taking Pretty Boy's argument, if Prince William is the future King of Scotland (which I don't believe he is but I've exhausted that argument), surely he should be involved? The Scottish public might not want him but, since we are part of the UK, he is our future Head of State and therefore he should be part of the lobbying team.

The point I'm making is, I don't believe David Cameron or Prince William would want to front any Scottish bid (or Welsh or Northern Irish), even if they were asked.

Do you really believe that being the parochial wee nation that we are that there would be any desire amongst the public to have David Cameron front a Scottish bid to host the World Cup? Can you really imagine wee fat Eck stepping aside and allowing Dave or William a chance to stand up for Scotland?

And you can argue until you are blue in the face if you like but the fact is William IS the future King of England just as he is the future King of Canada, Australia, the Isle of Man etc etc. The argument that he would never be referred to as a fture King of Scotland is pretty much irrelevant becasue further to my previous point there is simply no way the majority of Scottish people would accept him being a major player in a Scottish bid to host anything.

I think there is a bit of a difference between saying that William is the future king of Australia, Canada etc and saying that he's the future king of England. Australia and Canada are both independent nations who have simply retained the British monarch as their Head of State. England is not an independent nation, it is part of the United Kingdom, and therefore Prince William is the future king of the United Kingdom.

I wish you could see my face right now, it's starting to turn a light shade of blue! :greengrin

plhibs
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Any link to watch the result live?

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Any link to watch the result live?

It's streaming live on the Sky Sports website:

http://www.skysports.com/

Just click on the "Live Decision" box.

plhibs
02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
It's streaming live on the Sky Sports website:

http://www.skysports.com/

Just click on the "Live Decision" box.

Thanks mate just found it on the telly BBC WORLD.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks mate just found it on the telly BBC WORLD.

Sorry, the link I sent was actually a text streaming - I was getting video as I was also signed into the Sky Player.

It IS live on the BBC though:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9247651.stm

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Unconfirmed reports that Qatar have 2022 in the bag.

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Bloody well hope not :grr:

Farce if true.

HiBremian
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Sure I read in the papers that there were backroom deals going on between Qatar and Spain/Portugal supporters.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
If they dont WIN it get ready for the words

WE WOZ ROBBED :greengrin

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Unconfirmed reports that England are out at the first round :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
England out in the 1st round of voting apparently.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
:faf: :faf: :faf:

Nae luck Willie and Dave. :bye:

H18sry
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
England out in the 1st round of voting apparently.

That is hard to believe

Removed
02-12-2010, 02:25 PM
All depressed on five live :faf:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
UNCONFIRMED REPORTS ENGLAND OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND :bye:

HibbyAndy
Just like football the pundits building themselves up for a fall.20 Minutes ago they were practically foaming at the mouth , Creaming themselves it was in the bag, Now wether or not they do get it they never ever learn to pipe down abit

Unconfirmed reports Russia has it :greengrin

Sir David Gray
Russia-2018
Qatar-2022

According to Sky Sports News.

Removed
Spanish radio saying Russia have won it

HibbyAndy
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Spanish radio saying Russia have won it

Hope so.

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
2018- Russia

2022- Qatar

Looks like the pointless friendlies in Trinidad and Tobago and the brown nosing of the despicable Jack Warner were a complete waste of time.

Removed
Hope so.

BBC radio 5 live is class listening :faf:

hibiedude
get ready for the :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

HibbyAndy
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Wish Blatter would shut up and just tell us...

hibee92
02-12-2010, 02:35 PM

gonna be russia and qatar anyway

pacorosssco
02-12-2010, 02:37 PM
fifa more rotten than sfa

fifa envelope receivers russia envelope providers

Removed
Confirmed Russia 2018 :thumbsup:

England giruy :faf:

Sir David Gray
Confirmed host announcement from FIFA;

2018 world cup hosts-RUSSIA

HibbyAndy
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Russia

hibbytam
Couldn't help but giggle slightly. Although they have made the wrong choice, in my opinion. Though I suppose it fits, a corrupt country for a corrupt orginisation.

H18sry
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Too much back stabbing and corruption in FIFA :agree:

Removed
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Aye but he did say "It's a pity" :faf:

Hibs Class
02-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Not happy on radio 5 live

HibbyAndy
Jim White absolute distraught :bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

HibbyAndy
Aye but he did say "It's a pity" :faf:

Ken :faf:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
This story should now die on Sky news because its been on all day

Well Done Russia :thumbsup:

ENGLAND :taxi

Sir David Gray
I can hardly contain my delight! :faf: :faf: :faf:

one day maybe...
:
fifa more rotten than sfa

fifa envelope receivers russia envelope providers

:agree: Huge big wad in that envelope..

HibbyAndy
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
It was wee Arshavins speech that swung it , Hundred times better than Davina Beckham :cool2:

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Now if only the USA could steal the 2022.

If not, any country other than Qatar will suffice :agree:

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 02:43 PM
It was wee Arshavins speech that swung it , Hundred times better than Davina Beckham :cool2:

I particularly liked his stereotypical Russian:

'I am just simple footballer.'

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Their presentation was excellent.

Prince bout to cry. So will Dion Dublin who 'you heard it from me first, England will win'. :faf:

And again, who is that Russian blonde!!

Sylar
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Absolute joke.

Lofarl
Just wait until they start the blame game etc. England are worse than Celtic fans when it comes to bleating and moaning. Mark my words, Fifa corruption, The BBC, Mafia etc.

Sir David Gray
2022 World Cup hosts-Qatar

I'm sure I heard ages ago that if they were to get it, the matches would need to be played indoors as the temperatures in Qatar in June regularly reach over 100 degrees fahrenheit.

Could be wrong though.

magnificent_seven
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Pile of nonsense. Russia an Quatar? Are FIFA having a laugh.
Don't see why so many people are delighted that England didn't get it. Would be brilliant to jump on a train down to England and join in the FanFests and get to a couple of game. Would have done wonders for the economy too.

Lofarl
I never listen to 5 Live but my god Im enjoying it right now.

HibbyAndy

I particularly liked his stereotypical Russian:

'I am just simple footballer.'

:greengrin

:top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Haha! loving it GIRFUY, there is simply no better picture of an englishman in this situation, pure death in the family coupons now and blame blame blame someone else

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Fannies!

:bye:

steakbake
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Very, very disappointing. I would have loved it to have been in England.

Still, Russia will be interesting and it is good to give it to somewhere which has never hosted anything like this before. I'm sure they'll do a good job.

Lofarl
Think of the money Qatar will spend on it. Gold plated seats no doubt.

Pretty Boy
Crap decisions IMO.

Getting a Visa to get into Russia is a nightmare, just ask Chelsea and Man Utd fans or ask me because i've had experience of it. Qatar will see games played in soulless indoor arenas in a country with no footballing history.

I agree with the view that the failing point of both the England and Spain/Portugal bids is that they were too good with too much infastructure and stadia already in place.

Have to love how upset Jim White looks though, looks genuinely raging.

LancashireHibby
What an absolute joke, pure and simple. So corrupt, it's unreal.

Storar
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
2022 World Cup hosts-Qatar

I'm sure I heard ages ago that if they were to get it, the matches would need to be played indoors as the temperatures in Qatar in June regularly reach over 100 degrees fahrenheit.

Could be wrong though.

I was in the UAE on my way back from South Africa in the summer and at 12:30am the temperature was at 45C so it will be very hot

Here's their designs for the Stadiums though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtUS9-Y

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Some poor wee lambs on here moaning because they didn't get it, you guys must be sadists to want to listen to all the guff that would have been spouted if they had been awarded it.

I can't think of any reason to go to any WC finals unless Scotland were in it.

England have already had it so what gives them the right to "expect" to get it again?

Delighted with that I am

Darth Hibbie
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I would actually have liked to see England get it but if the rumours that they went out in the first round are true then that is hilarious :greengrin

Leicester Fan
02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
At least Russia has never held it before even though I'm sure a few stuffed envelopes had more to do with the choice than the actual bid.

Qatar though? How did Blatter say it without busting out laughing?

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
England have already had it so what gives them the right to "expect" to get it again?
And there have been how many generations since then?!

steakbake
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone know what odds you'd have got on this outcome?

Russia for 2018 and Qatar for 2022?

HibbyAndy
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM

1966/1

HiBremian
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Sepp Blatter:bitchy:

--------
Absolute joke.

:agree: Yup. And I haven't stopped laughing since I heard the news. :party:

cabbageandribs1875
will the poor tax payers be landed with the bill for prince billy of windsor/girly voice beckham and the uk PM's expenses :taxi

P.S. poor blatter getting the blame now :faf:

hibiedude
Five live phone in is great

Lets blame everyone for England Failing :greengrin

LancashireHibby
Sepp Blatter:bitchy:

He had it as a treble combined with how long it'd take to drag out his daft speech before announcing the winner.

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Been watching the market on this, just today though, would have gotten about 9/2 for the double.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:03 PM
will the poor tax payers be landed with the bill for prince billy of windsor/girly voice beckham and the uk PM's expenses :taxi

P.S. poor blatter getting the blame now :faf:

Estimated at 15 Million Pounds for the failed bid :grr:

Frazerbob
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Been watching the market on this, just today though, would have gotten about 9/2 for the double.

I got Russia at 5/2 about 2pm.

Woody1985
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm gutted that it's not England. I love it when they get pumped out of competitions but it should have been them. It looks like my first interest in attending a World Cup will be 2026.

I missed Germany in 2006
SA - Not travelling to SA with no one to support
Brazil - Too far for me but these bull**** decisions may have just convinced me.
Russia - **** that.
Qatar - **** that x 20. I would probably die in that heat.

FIFA are ******s.

heretoday
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Predictable chippy reaction from the Brians and Kevins of the English media. One ass actually said the FA should now break away from FIFA "We have the best league in the world etc etc" - Yeah sunshine, take a pill and lie down.

Someone also said Putin didn't turn up because he knew already that Russia had won. Yeah yeah - if he'd known that he'd have been there for sure! Probably doing one-arm press-ups in the lobby! :greengrin

Maybe we shouldn't get so worked up about football. Maybe we shouldn't send our King-to-be and our PM to these events as bag-carriers.

Cameron should have been back here sorting things out so that we don't have to rely on the WC in 2018 to "boost the economy". It is to be hoped the economy will be in better shape by 2018.

Woody1985
02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Estimated at 15 Million Pounds for the failed bid :grr:

So you don't think it would be wise to gamble 15 million with the potential of generating a billion pound + for the economy on a 1 in 4 chance?

heretoday
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I got Russia at 5/2 about 2pm.

It's an ill wind (from Siberia) that blows no one any good......!

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Russia.

o.k. I suppose, but from what I have been told its expensive and difficult to get into also no doubt you will have to fly between venues. Still with any luck they will make a go of things and perhaps put on a decent event.

Qatar.

A country of less than a million people. Where the hell will the fans stay ? Camps in the desert ?

And its more or less alchohol free, though its not illegal to drink it in certain circumstances. The punishment for being drunk in public range from prison to being lashed.

How many football fans want to go to a world cup like that.

Lets hope we qualify for the Euros at some point, coz in my opinion its been a better tournament than the WC for some time now anyway.

Just my opinion of course.

By the way I spent a week in Poland in September and loved it. Would be great if we could qualify for the coming Euros.

Ritchie
02-12-2010, 03:14 PM
i was in the uae on my way back from south africa in the summer and at 12:30am the temperature was at 45c so it will be very hot

here's their designs for the stadiums though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtus9-y

wtf!!!!

lucky
Shocking decision, both Russia and even more so Qatar don't have football as there national sport. It would appear the 22 executive members do like their presents from the bidders. Corruption is rife in both countries sad day for football.

H18sry
:greengrin the movie now starting on ITV 4 is

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE ;-]

Removed
I'm gutted that it's not England. I love it when they get pumped out of competitions but it should have been them. It looks like my first interest in attending a World Cup will be 2026.

I missed Germany in 2006
SA - Not travelling to SA with no one to support
Brazil - Too far for me but these bull**** decisions may have just convinced me.
Russia - **** that.
Qatar - **** that x 20. I would probably die in that heat.

FIFA are ******s.

just ignore my texts then :wink:

Bishop Hibee
It's a good thing North Korea and Burma didn't apply to host the World Cup. The human rights record of a country is obviously no hinderance to hosting it.

Joke of a result where money triumphed over football.

You'll be lucky to get a pint in Qatar to celebrate Scotland winning it :boo hoo: :wink:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
So you don't think it would be wise to gamble 15 million with the potential of generating a billion pound + for the economy on a 1 in 4 chance?

In the middle of a recession and using tax payers money and with students about to get screwed to the wall next week- No I don’t think it was worth the gamble and that’s me speaking as a tax payer

Diclonius
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Qatar.

A country of less than a million people. Where the hell will the fans stay ? Camps in the desert ?

And its more or less alchohol free, though its not illegal to drink it in certain circumstances. The punishment for being drunk in public range from prison to being lashed.

They're legalising it for the duration of the World Cup.

It's the religious, LGBT, kissing in public, clothing etc etc rights that are the problem. Al Qaeda will be planning for it an aw. :bitchy:

Woody1985
02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
just ignore my texts then :wink:

I did. :greengrin

As I say, I love them getting pumped but from a selfish perspective I wanted to go!

Woody1985
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
In the middle of a recession and using tax payers money and with students about to get screwed to the wall next week- No I don’t think it was worth the gamble and that’s me speaking as a tax payer

As a taxpayer and a football fan I couldn't disagree more.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:20 PM
They are now saying its revenge for the allegations made against Fifa :bitchy:

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Same here. Well worth the risk for the potential income.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I can't believe the Qatar decision. I think that World Cup will be an absolute disaster.

That will be a completely soulless World Cup with barely any atmosphere at games.

World Cup matches should not be held indoors for a start and that is what will have to happen since it's going to be so hot in Qatar when the World Cup will take place.

Also I don't know how the European fans are going to cope with the strict alcohol laws that are in force in the nation.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:23 PM

I remember Bankers having a gamble with tax payers money and we are all paying the price for that

Woody1985
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
They are now saying its revenge for the allegations made against Fifa :bitchy:

There's going to be lots of sour grapes but FFS, for them to be knocked out in the first round is a joke.

Am I correct in saying that this is the first time they've announced who went out at each stage? Coincidence? Perhaps they were trying to make a point.

LancashireHibby
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I remember Bankers having a gamble with tax payers money and we are all paying the price for that

Not even close to being comparable as far as I'm concerned.

Gus
:grr:.......that is all

hibiedude

As a scottish tax payer what was in it for us ?

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
:agree: Yup. And I haven't stopped laughing since I heard the news. :party:

It's not funny though Doddie.

How can a "country" of 1.5m people, half of these immigrants, and no football history hold a W.Cup.

How many spectators will go to Qatar?

All the income will come from t.v. rights, payed for by the Europeans.

We now have a situation were-by the continents that keeps the tournament afloat can only view it on t.v., and the population of those continents only realistacally attend once every generation

JimBHibees
02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
What a terrible decision and probably sums up how corrupt that organisation is. England or Spain sounded IMO much better bids than Russia and on a purely selfish basis would have loved to take my son to a game nearby. Now Russia and Qatar awful appointments IMO.

JimBHibees
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM
1966/1

:wink:

Removed
02-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Well worth it to see/hear them all greetin.

If carlsberg did world cup host announcements

:faf: :faf: :faf:

Removed
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Today :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Russia-2018
Qatar-2022

According to Sky Sports News.

Well that's confirmed it then. FIFA most definitely are not corrupt.

Posh Swanny
02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. That's a good 16 years worth of World Cups for the travel companies. And ****ing expensive for fans of European teams - who make up nearly 50% of the participants.

News emerging that England received just four votes in the first round and went out. Looks like the rest of the world has the same opinion of "The English" as most of you lot! :wink:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Not even close to being comparable as far as I'm concerned.

Why because it was only 15 Million and the bankers lost billions :confused: its still tax payers money no matter the amount

Ollie Reed
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
:greengrin the movie now starting on ITV 4 is

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE ;-]

Ah, with the lovely Daniela Bianchi...superb.:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Well that's confirmed it then. FIFA most definitely are not corrupt.

:faf::faf: Yep dear old Joseph has really sorted out that organisation. :greengrin

Kaiser1962
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Very, very disappointing. I would have loved it to have been in England.

Still, Russia will be interesting and it is good to give it to somewhere which has never hosted anything like this before. I'm sure they'll do a good job.

I agree. Would have loved it to be England but I think FIFA are now casting their net further afield now like taking it to Africa last time and Japan and Korea eight years ago when it was always once in Europe and then South America. Dont be surprised to see China and the like trying in 2026 or 2030. I think England, who are not well liked, will not get a chance again for 20 years.

lapsedhibee
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Somewhat relieved, as it will now be possible to switch on a TV or radio during the next eight years and not hear about preparations for England's world cup (/win). And as for the Sky News boy who seemed to be arguing earlier today that England should/would be awarded it over Russia because they sent a PM and a future king along, whereas Russia didn't even send a president, GIRUY.

--------
02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Shocking decision, both Russia and even more so Qatar don't have football as there national sport. It would appear the 22 executive members do like their presents from the bidders. Corruption is rife in both countries sad day for football.

Football not a national sport in Russia? Lots of people in Russia, lots of different sporting interests, but I don't think you can say that lots and lots of Russians aren't interested in football.

Even then, it makes sense to me to give Qatar the tournament in 2022 - football's a growing sport in the Middle East and part of FIFA's remit IS to encourage people to play the sport in parts of the world where it ISN'T already well-established.

Corruption, of course, is unknown in the UK. You must be too young to remember the shenanigans that went on in 1966. :rolleyes:

UTM Hibby
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM

How can a "country" of 1.5m people, half of these immigrants, and no football history hold a W.Cup.

We now have a situation were-by the continents that keeps the tournament afloat can only view it on t.v., and the population of those continents only realistacally attend once every generation

Totally agree. Appaling decision and feel totally sick at what has just happened. The worlds national sport has just been bought by a nation, who, with all due respect, should have no right to hold it.

If FIFA was a third world country the UN would come in and demand fair elections.

10% of the global population have now been denied the right to attend in person as homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Today :thumbsup:

Every major tournament we have to suffer 1966 all over again so lets celabrate that this lot are simply not good enough on the day.

if there is Corruption in Fifa let it be properly investigated but its not all bad news because England are favourite to host 2030 :greengrin

steakbake
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I agree. Would have loved it to be England but I think FIFA are now casting their net further afield now like taking it to Africa last time and Japan and Korea eight years ago when it was always once in Europe and then South America. Dont be surprised to see China and the like trying in 2026 or 2030. I think England, who are not well liked, will not get a chance again for 20 years.

One of the remits of FIFA is to promote football throughout the world.

With this in mind, then the idea of hosting in Russia and Qatar is not that daft. Two regions of the world where there have not been tournaments before.

However, with all the allegations of corruption going about, there is a faint whiff of sheidt about proceedings.

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm all for a bit Schaddenfreude (sp).
I love to wind-up the English but the last W.C. was piss-poor and these will be too.

R'Albin
02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I've been to Qatar , the transport is poor, there is not enough accommodation not sure if it's been mentioned but you need a licence to buy drink over there, shocking decision:(

steakbake
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Get over yourself.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been to Qatar , the transport is poor, there is not enough accommodation not sure if it's been mentioned but you need a licence to buy drink over there, shocking decision:(

Things might change before 2022 :greengrin

LALthehibeeGAL
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Somewhat relieved, as it will now be possible to switch on a TV or radio during the next eight years and not hear about preparations for England's world cup (/win). And as for the Sky News boy who seemed to be arguing earlier today that England should/would be awarded it over Russia because they sent a PM and a future king along, whereas Russia didn't even send a president, GIRUY.

the bit in bold is the part of me that prefers they never got it but to be honest I thought it would have been good to make weekends/week trips out of it by visiting friends relatives etc. if not Engerland I wanted Spain/Portugal purely from a selfish point of view for a holiday of course!! doesn't matter if Scotland are playing.

anyway Russia fair enough but Qatar :confused:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Get over yourself.

Sorry i'm :confused:

--------
02-12-2010, 03:48 PM

I will be very surprised if the games in 2022 are not well-attended - lots of people from all over the Middle East and East Africa will be able to fly in, and I suspect that the facilities - stadia and hotels - will be very good indeed.

Football is a world sport nowadays, whether we like it or not. Once upon a time the African and Arab nations could be referred to as the 'minnows' of the competition - not any longer.

In the next four years the UK will host both the Olympics and the Commonwealth games - at horrendous expense to the taxpayer in a time of financial crisis.

And unless they've moved it since last time I looked, Russia IS a European country, and will be hosting the tournament for the first time. So 2012 has been given to a long-standing football nation, and 2022 to an emergent nation in an area of the world where FIFA wants to develope the game.

Not a problem I can see - unless of course we're thinking that moujiks and mullahs can't run football competitions?

essexhibee
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Typical English arrogance when it comes to football. Alan Shearer pops up and says something along the lines of "Well we are shocked as we fully expected it to be us".

And you can say that how? Oh because England has the most passionate fans bla bla bla... what a load of ***** everywhere there is passionate fans.

For the likes of Shearer and this arrogance it makes for sweeter news. **** 'em.

Remember 1297 at Stirling ya arrogant muppets!! :greengrin:greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM

English businesses would have paid tax on their profits, that tax would have been paid to the UK treasury and under the Barnett Formula a reasonable ammount would have been reinvested in Scotland.

Add to that a few teams flying into Scotland, holding pre tournament training camps here to get used to the climate etc. Fans of teams based in the North of England travelling up to Edinburgh and Glasgow for the day when they have no games.

I think Scotland would have done ok out of it, as we will do ok out of the 2012 Olympics.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
England only got 2 Votes :greengrin

Posh Swanny
02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Confirmed that England received TWO votes in the first round of voting. OK, we may never have been able to compete with Russia but TWO ****ING VOTES?!?!?!

That'll be some serious fuel on the fire for the English media and their corruption hunting ways!

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
English businesses would have paid tax on their profits, that tax would have been paid to the UK treasury and under the Barnett Formula a reasonable ammount would have been reinvested in Scotland.

Add to that a few teams flying into Scotland, holding pre tournament training camps here to get used to the climate etc. Fans of teams based in the North of England travelling up to Edinburgh and Glasgow for the day when they have no games.

I think Scotland would have done ok out of it, as we will do ok out of the 2012 Olympics.

But England didn't get 2018 but we did get 2012

--------
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
England only got 2 Votes :greengrin

Were they allowed to vote for themselves? :cool2:

Wull
02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm all for a bit Schaddenfreude (sp).
I love to wind-up the English but the last W.C. was piss-poor and these will be too.

were you doon here fur the last w/c only heard soor faced inglish *ricks say the same. yoor no inglish are u:grr:

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Were they allowed to vote for themselves? :cool2:

The allegations of corruption have been a major issue and has clearly been a factor in FiFa decision makers. If there is corruption then the media need to pursue this further.

But the fact they only got 2 votes I think tells us more about what Fifa think about English arrogance and all this nonsense about football is coming home has been a step to far.

Just My opinion

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I will be very surprised if the games in 2022 are not well-attended - lots of people from all over the Middle East and East Africa will be able to fly in, and I suspect that the facilities - stadia and hotels - will be very good indeed.
But not from the countries that will really be putting the money into the tournament

Football is a world sport nowadays, whether we like it or not. Once upon a time the African and Arab nations could be referred to as the 'minnows' of the competition - not any longer.

Not on the paying field, no, but for financial input.

In the next four years the UK will host both the Olympics and the Commonwealth games - at horrendous expense to the taxpayer in a time of financial crisis.

The Commonwealth Game s wouldn't even come into FIFA's radar, and hopefully we'll be out of this recession in 8 years.

And unless they've moved it since last time I looked, Russia IS a European country, and will be hosting the tournament for the first time.
Huge sections of "Russia" is in Asia. So 2012 has been given to a long-standing football nation, and 2022 to an emergent nation in an area of the world where FIFA wants to develope the game.Why would the Qataris play football, the Country has no grass!

Not a problem I can see - unless of course we're thinking that moujiks and mullahs can't run football competitions?
I very much doubt that the Russian peasants will have much say in the running of the Russian tournament, more likely multi-national conglomerates and the Russaian Mafia.
Hopefully the Qatari event will avoid being run on sectarian grounds, like our SPL.

lucky
02-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Football not a national sport in Russia? Lots of people in Russia, lots of different sporting interests, but I don't think you can say that lots and lots of Russians aren't interested in football.

Even then, it makes sense to me to give Qatar the tournament in 2022 - football's a growing sport in the Middle East and part of FIFA's remit IS to encourage people to play the sport in parts of the world where it ISN'T already well-established.

Corruption, of course, is unknown in the UK. You must be too young to remember the shenanigans that went on in 1966. :rolleyes:

Absolute tosh. The world cup is about playing the game and fans watching it. Spain and England are both massive football countries are a lot more accessible for European fans (ones who actually go to games) Russia is a vast country with lots of issues such as crime and a poor transport infrastructure. As for Qatar that is a total farce. The world cup is about playing the game not about spreading a message. Its football not a religion

A lots of bull**** on here by some small minded anti-English Scots. What chance of any us got of going to a world cup for the foreseeable future.

Littlest Hobo
02-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Two words

Roman Abramovich :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
If you have the money and if by some miracle Scotland make it, a world cup in Russia could be a hell of an experience and lets face it its closer than South Africa, Japan etc. Not to mention the fact that its practically illegal not to smoke & drink there. So in spite of my earlier luke warm post there could be an up side to this.
:thumbsup:

But Qatar ?

If you want to give it to an Arab Nation what about waiting for a bid from Egypt or Morocco or one of the other nations where football actually has spectators and the fans can have an experience instead of a football backwater which surely can never cater for about 1,000,000 fans, not to mention the media. How many airports does it have ? How many hotels ? How many hospitals ? How many places are there to eat ?

Take away the money they have to spend on stadia, which I have no doubt is limitless and you may as well give the tournament to Iceland or Malta.

Even if they come up with brilliant solutions to all of these questions, FIFA appear to have forgotten that a big slice of the WC experience is what the fans from all over the world can do between matches. I dare say you can only go on so many camel rides or skin dive in the Red Sea so many times.

What will girls going to the tournament be allowed to wear in public ?

How will it make it a great experience for European or South American girls for instance if they are forced to cover up in 90% bloody heat ?

I just dont get it and you have to ask if the qatari budget included more than just cash for infrastructure.

:confused:

euro Hibby
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I think they are intersting choices. Russia will drop the need to have a visa before then and they have already announced that Public transport is free.

I have just come back from Russia last week and visit 2/3 times per year. Moscow in particular is very expensive but if you like vodka and pretty women then its a great choice.

Qatar will contruct the best stadiums and hotels and they will attract alot of people because the country is geographically well placed for some big countries.
As pointed out FIFA need to take football to developing countries hence the choice.

Scotland unlikely to be in the events but you never know. I would have hated having to listen to English drivel for years and the fact that they don't get automatic qualification makes it interesting.

Removed
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Absolute tosh. The world cup is about playing the game and fans watching it. Spain and England are both massive football countries are a lot more accessible for European fans (ones who actually go to games) Russia is a vast country with lots of issues such as crime and a poor transport infrastructure. As for Qatar that is a total farce. The world cup is about playing the game not about spreading a message. Its football not a religion

A lots of bull**** on here by some small minded anti-English Scots. What chance of any us got of going to a world cup for the foreseeable future.

:faf:

watch it on the telly then :bye:

lucky
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Its that attitude that is seeing less fans at ER, usual high quality comment.

Armchair fans rule.

Removed
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Its that attitude that is seeing less fans at ER, usual high quality comment.

Armchair fans rule.

Really, I thought it was poor performances that affected our crowds more than the tv.

Spike Mandela
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Typical English media reaction.......

If they are in a World cup they WILL win it

If they bid for a World cup they WILL win it.

When they don't win it's because of politics, conspiracy or corruption.

We in the West need to realise we don't have a divine right these days to expect things. The football world is changing.

Yes it would have been convenient for us to go to England, Spain or Holland but Russia certainly are a large country with Eastern Europe never having had a World Cup.

Quatar is a more difficult one but if FIFA truly want to develop football then an Arab nation is the next logical step. Who knows it may even help promote peace in the region. Naive maybe.

England had a strong bid , yes, but it was safe, boring and predictable.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Disappointed personally that England didn't get 2018 but not surprised. I think Russia is a good shout, however, as a single country bid and never having had a WC before. All the venues are in European Russia so the distances involved between them, though large, will not be impossible to navigate.

Qatar in 2022, a country half the size of Wales (no offence, Wales! :wink:) and, as I understand, largely using temporary stadia to then be shipped off elsewhere, is, to me, a bizarre choice. I didn't think Japan or South Korea had a good claim, having hosted it jointly so recently, and even USA were relatively recent hosts.
However, Australia would have fitted the criteria of spreading the WC around geographically and seemed, to me, a much more attractive bid.

I also agree with the previous poster who suggested Morocco or Egypt would be good but perhaps they will submit a bid when it's (unofficially) Africa's chance again. I think Morocco bid previously.

WindyMiller
02-12-2010, 04:54 PM

I've only managed to get to 1 W.C., Italia 90.
The wife and I took the laddies and had a marvellous time.
Unfortunately I don't see them ever being able to take their children to one.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 04:55 PM
If you have the money and if by some miracle Scotland make it, a world cup in Russia could be a hell of an experience and lets face it its closer than South Africa, Japan etc. Not to mention the fact that its practically illegal not to smoke & drink there. So in spite of my earlier luke warm post there could be an up side to this.
:thumbsup:

But Qatar ?

If you want to give it to an Arab Nation what about waiting for a bid from Egypt or Morocco or one of the other nations where football actually has spectators and the fans can have an experience instead of a football backwater which surely can never cater for about 1,000,000 fans, not to mention the media. How many airports does it have ? How many hotels ? How many hospitals ? How many places are there to eat ?

Take away the money they have to spend on stadia, which I have no doubt is limitless and you may as well give the tournament to Iceland or Malta.

Even if they come up with brilliant solutions to all of these questions, FIFA appear to have forgotten that a big slice of the WC experience is what the fans from all over the world can do between matches. I dare say you can only go on so many camel rides or skin dive in the Red Sea so many times.

What will girls going to the tournament be allowed to wear in public ?

How will it make it a great experience for European or South American girls for instance if they are forced to cover up in 90% bloody heat ?

I just dont get it and you have to ask if the qatari budget included more than just cash for infrastructure.

I would think that at the very least, they'll need to invest in a headscarf. A lot of Qatari women wear burkas but I don't believe it's as strict as it is in, say, Saudi Arabia.

mim
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Unless I'm missing something, there was something very strange about the voting.

The first round of voting (according to Sporting Life) was:

England 2
Holland/Belgium 4
Spain/Portugal 7
Russia 9

Russia then had an ouitright majority (12 or more) in the second vote.

Now, here's the rub:

When England was eliminated in the first round only 2 votes came up for grabs. If both of those votes had gone to Russia, they would still only have 11 votes.
So, at least one delegate changed their vote between the first and second ballots.

Why would he/they do that?

Removed
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I've only managed to get to 1 W.C., Italia 90.
The wife and I took the laddies and had a marvellous time.
Unfortunately I don't see them ever being able to take their children to one.

Me neither. It's a shame I agree but I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. All this knashing of teeth about the venues makes folk look silly imo. Poor me, I canny go, its too far, its to dear. Just as well the tartan army didn't take that view when it was in Argentina.

If anyone wants to go Just start saving now.

hibiedude
02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Unless I'm missing something, there was someting very strange about the voting.

England 2
Holland/Belgium 4
Spain/Portugal 7
Russia 9

Now, here's the rub:

When England was eliminated in the first round only 2 votes came up for grabs. If both of those votes had gone to Russia, they would still only have 11 votes.
So, at least one delegate changed their vote between the first and second ballots.

The cheque didn't bounce :greengrin

Beefster
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Unless I'm missing something, there was something very strange about the voting.

England 2
Holland/Belgium 4
Spain/Portugal 7
Russia 9

Now, here's the rub:

Because they realised that Holland/Belgium weren't going to win and wanted his second choice, Russia, to win ahead of Spain/Portugal?

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 05:25 PM

:agree: No less than expected though. I can't understand why you wouldn't want the World Cup on your doorstep.

FIFA needs to be investigated and then regulated to ensure there's no corruption.

Hainan Hibs
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
:faf: :faf: :faf: :faf: :faf:

PRIME TIME comedy today. For hours they were bumming up the bid, it was already in the bag, Beckham was already being knighted, Wills had swung it, Cameron rubber stamped it, football was coming home....

and then completely and utterly ****ing ROGERED in the first round of voting with a grand spanking 2 votes out of 22 :faf:

Russian Mafia, Bribes, Blatter, Anti-Englishness, Platini, everyone but themselves to blame for once again letting their arrogance provide the world with comedy gold.

A big Get It Right Up Ye to the 50 odd million English people out there, and the boring ******s who would've preferred a day trip to the delights of Birmingham rather than an adventure to Mother Russia :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
:agree: No less than expected though. I can't understand why you wouldn't want the World Cup on your doorstep.

FIFA needs to be investigated and then regulated to ensure there's no corruption.

Why? As far as I can tell, the World Cup does pretty well.

England could always bid to host another Euros instead.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm loving the fact that because England didn't win it then it must have been corrupt.

Maybe they should just realise it's because the delegates thought the other bids were better.

SidBurns
02-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Pile of nonsense. Russia an Quatar? Are FIFA having a laugh.
Don't see why so many people are delighted that England didn't get it. Would be brilliant to jump on a train down to England and join in the FanFests and get to a couple of game. Would have done wonders for the economy too.

If the economy is still in a bad way come 2018 we've got problems my friend!

ancienthibby
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm loving the fact that because England didn't win it then it must have been corrupt.

Maybe they should just realise it's because the delegates thought the other bids were better.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SidBurns
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Worse than the state of our current transport system!?! **** ME, it MUST be bad!!! Accommodation, not enough in E**land in some of the places they were thinking of hosting it, eg Sunderland. I'm sure the drinking 'laws' laws can be changed just like we do in Edinburgh during the Festival & Christmas. Lastly, if anyone can throw money into a tournament it's ANY country in the Middle East, Good Luck to them I say and GIRUY E**land! :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 05:50 PM

The England bid was a fiasco - the football equivalent of playing rubbish football for 89 minutes, then launching a couple of high balls into the box in injury time and hoping (expecting?) that would be enough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8685009.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278706/FA-chief-Lord-Triesman-Spain-bid-bribe-World-Cup-referees.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/england-lodge-complaint-about-russia-world-cup-bid-chief-2116934.html

lucky
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM

But by all reports England had the best bid but just never got the support. Its clear that FIFA needs to open up up to investigation to prove it is not corrupt.

SidBurns
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
But by all reports England had the best bid but just never got the support. Its clear that FIFA needs to open up up to investigation to prove it is not corrupt.

Aye so the E**lish are saying. They couldn't believe they lose after the positive feedback they received from FIFA Members. Are they all that STUPID to think the FIFA guys weren't saying positive things to ALL Bidders!?! Bunch 'o' Fan Dans the lot of 'em! :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM

They had the best technical bid, but did a rubbish job of selling and promoting it. See above for a few examples.

Paris was a given a higher technical rating than London for the 2012 Olympics, mainly because they already had the Stade de France in place. London won because they did a far better job of selling why they needed to host the Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Evaluation_of_ap plicant_cities

Paris was given 8.5, London was given 7.6 (in third place, behind Madrid).

Sergey
02-12-2010, 05:55 PM

Playing World Cup matches in places like Sunderland, Liverpool and Milton Keynes, only gave them a slightly better chance than Yemen.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Why? As far as I can tell, the World Cup does pretty well.

England could always bid to host another Euros instead.

Did either of you see Panorama the other night? There are guys on the voting committee on the take and Blatter doesn't care. You really think that Russia got it 'cos they had a better bid and nothing to do with Abramovic?

lucky
02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Its seems that because the British media were critical of FIFA and allegations of corruption that ordinary football fans suffer. Yet some on here take great delight in seeing another British country suffer. I am not English and generally want them to lose when they are PLAYING but that is sporting rivalry not hatred some are showing here.
I hope the world is great in Russia and Qatar but doubt it very much

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Did either of you see Panorama the other night? There are guys on the voting committee on the take and Blatter doesn't care. You really think that Russia got it 'cos they had a better bid and nothing to do with Abramovic?

Frankly, so what?

England also joined in the bribery fun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8321089.stm

discman
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM

aye mibbes, however check out wikileaks: "Russia branded "mafia state" in cables"

" In one cable from January 2010,Spanish prosecutor Jose "Pepe" Grinda Gonzales claimed that in Russia,Belarus and Chechnya "one cannot differentiate between the activities of the Government and OC (organised crime) groups"

This is a judge who led a long investigation into Russian organised crime in Spain,leading to more than 60 arrests,

and bribery within the political system totals an estimated $300bn a year!

So maybes aye,maybes....show me the money! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Typical English media reaction.......

If they are in a World cup they WILL win it

If they bid for a World cup they WILL win it.

When they don't win it's because of politics, conspiracy or corruption.

We in the West need to realise we don't have a divine right these days to expect things. The football world is changing.

Yes it would have been convenient for us to go to England, Spain or Holland but Russia certainly are a large country with Eastern Europe never having had a World Cup.

Quatar is a more difficult one but if FIFA truly want to develop football then an Arab nation is the next logical step. Who knows it may even help promote peace in the region. Naive maybe.

England had a strong bid , yes, but it was safe, boring and predictable.

I'm afraid there's a chance that it could go the opposite way.

Al Qaeda and other such groups will already be planning ahead to 2022 and thinking about ways that they might disrupt the tournament. They have 11 and a half years to think about it.

They will not be happy about a Western influence like football coming into a Muslim country and thousands of "Western infidels" coming into a Muslim nation won't be welcomed with open arms either.

I hope I'm wrong but I certainly think it has the potential for disaster.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 06:02 PM

And yet they didn't get enough votes to win until the second round of voting. If it was that corrupt, then surely they'd have made sure they had enough votes to win it no matter what?

The IOC is far more corrupt, yet London's bid won the Olympics. The corruption thing is just a convenient excuse for England to use for their failure.

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Its seems that because the British media were critical of FIFA and allegations of corruption that ordinary football fans suffer. Yet some on here take great delight in seeing another British country suffer. I am not English and generally want them to lose when they are PLAYING but that is sporting rivalry not hatred some are showing here.
I hope the world is great in Russia and Qatar but doubt it very much

I'm not delighted. I'm pointing out that they lost because they made a rubbish bid.

England's bid: It's our turn and we'll make you loadsamoney.

FIFA: 1. Eh? 2. Every World Cup makes loadsamoney.

London 2012 was able to win because they put together a far stronger narrative, after some initial problems. England 2018 never did that.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Frankly, so what?

England also joined in the bribery fun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8321089.stm

So what?! You're happy the game's being run by corrupt officials?

I'm pretty sure it'll be more than a handbag that some of the committee wil receive from FIFA's "holding company".

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm pretty sure it'll be more than a handbag that some of the committee wil receive from FIFA's "holding company".

It's a private organisation. I don't believe in outside agencies interfering in their internal affairs. If they do that bad a job they will be replaced. The evidence suggests the contrary, that the World Cup continues to grow economically.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
And yet they didn't get enough votes to win until the second round of voting. If it was that corrupt, then surely they'd have made sure they had enough votes to win it no matter what?

The IOC is far more corrupt, yet London's bid won the Olympics. The corruption thing is just a convenient excuse for England to use for their failure.

I don't know the ins and outs of how bribery and corruption works at FIFA. I think there are 22 on the voting panel but some of them cover more than one region, e.g. Jack Warner "controls" the Americas, Trinidad and somewhere else so I don't know if he votes more than once? Maybe he could've spread his votes in the 1st round then change his mind in the 2nd on some of them (even though the country he voted on originally hadn't been eliminated).

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm afraid there's a chance that it could go the opposite way.

Al Qaeda and other such groups will already be planning ahead to 2022 and thinking about ways that they might disrupt the tournament. They have 11 and a half years to think about it.

They will not be happy about a Western influence like football coming into a Muslim country and thousands of "Western infidels" coming into a Muslim nation won't be welcomed with open arms either.

I hope I'm wrong but I certainly think it has the potential for disaster.

Absolute tosh.

I wouldn't discount the threat of extremist groups such as Al Qaeda. However places such as Qatar, Oman, Dubai, Doha etc are more than happy to welcome 'Western Infidels' as you put it. Some of the biggest investment in this part of the world comes from American Universities who are being invited to open campuses in the region. The Qataris have already stated that the alcohol and modesty laws will be relaxed for the duration of the tournament. The average joe on the street in this region has no more problem with the west than you or i. Too many people look at unrepresentative governments such as the one in Iran as being a true reflection of a wonderful part of the world.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:12 PM
It's a private organisation. I don't believe in outside agencies interfering in their internal affairs. If they do that bad a job they will be replaced. The evidence suggests the contrary, that the World Cup continues to grow economically.

FIFA will be replaced? By who? The committe would never agree to it!

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't know the ins and outs of how bribery and corruption works at FIFA. I think there are 22 on the voting panel but some of them cover more than one region, e.g. Jack Warner "controls" the Americas, Trinidad and somewhere else so I don't know if he votes more than once? Maybe he could've spread his votes in the 1st round then change his mind in the 2nd on some of them (even though the country he voted on originally hadn't been eliminated).

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/11/04/JackWarnerLetter.pdf

This letter covers both the alleged "corruption" and Mr Warner.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

These are the 22 people who voted today:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland)
Julio Grondona (Argentina)
Issa Hayatou (Cameroon)
Chung Mong-joon (South Korea)
Jack Warner (Trinidad & Tobago)
Michel Platini (France)
Geoff Thompson (England)
Angel Villa Llona (Spain)
Ricardo Terra Teixera (Brazil)
Mohammed Bin Hammam (Qatar)
Senes Erzik (Turkey)
Chuck Blazer (USA)
Worawi Makudi (Thailand)
Junji Ogora (Japan)
Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay)
Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus)
Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast)
Franz Beckenbuer (Germany)
Rafael Salguero (Guatemala)
Hany Abo Rida (Egypt)
Vitaly Mukto (Russia)
Michel D'Hooge (Belgium)

Not many of them come from countries associated with big problems of bribery or corruption

hibeeleicester
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
This may seem really silly but....

Why dont Scotland Bid for the world cup, yes it would cost to upgrade infrastructure, but surely the income would be well worth it, and maybe it would be the lift that Scottish football needed.

Really promote the Bid, "Best fans in the world" "Edinburgh World Arts Capital" ..... bla bla bla.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
These are the 22 people who voted today:

Sepp Blatter (Switzerland)
Julio Grondona (Argentina)
Issa Hayatou (Cameroon)
Chung Mong-joon (South Korea)
Jack Warner (Trinidad & Tobago)
Michel Platini (France)
Geoff Thompson (England)
Angel Villa Llona (Spain)
Ricardo Terra Teixera (Brazil)
Mohammed Bin Hammam (Qatar)
Senes Erzik (Turkey)
Chuck Blazer (USA)
Worawi Makudi (Thailand)
Junji Ogora (Japan)
Nicolas Leoz (Paraguay)
Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus)
Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast)
Franz Beckenbuer (Germany)
Rafael Salguero (Guatemala)
Hany Abo Rida (Egypt)
Vitaly Mukto (Russia)
Michel D'Hooge (Belgium)

Not many of them come from countries associated with big problems of bribery or corruption

Which countries are associated with bribery or corruption?

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/11/04/JackWarnerLetter.pdf

This letter covers both the alleged "corruption" and Mr Warner.

Apologies I only skimmed it but I don't think that's what Panorama were investigating?

discman
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I think they are intersting choices. Russia will drop the need to have a visa before then and they have already announced that Public transport is free.

I have just come back from Russia last week and visit 2/3 times per year. Moscow in particular is very expensive but if you like vodka and pretty women then its a great choice.

Qatar will contruct the best stadiums and hotels and they will attract alot of people because the country is geographically well placed for some big countries.
As pointed out FIFA need to take football to developing countries hence the choice.

Scotland unlikely to be in the events but you never know. I would have hated having to listen to English drivel for years and the fact that they don't get automatic qualification makes it interesting.

Qatar population in 2001: 907,229 of which 350,000 were citizens the rest 550,000 were guest workers ie non citizens,

In 2010 population 1,670,389, roughly 1/3 will be citizens, 550,0009(roughly right)

Its land mass is 11,586 sq kilometers ranked no163 in the world right behind the Falkland islands on 12,173,sq k so thats where the world cup is going.........nothing to do with it being about the richest country in the world,with vast reserves of gas and oil...corruption? bah humbug :greengrin

--------
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Doddie

But not from the countries that will really be putting the money into the tournament

The Commonwealth Game s wouldn't even come into FIFA's radar, and hopefully we'll be out of this recession in 8 years.

And unless they've moved it since last time I looked, Russia IS a European country, and will be hosting the tournament for the first time.

Huge sections of "Russia" is in Asia.

So 2012 has been given to a long-standing football nation, and 2022 to an emergent nation in an area of the world where FIFA wants to develope the game.Why would the Qataris play football, the Country has no grass!

I very much doubt that the Russian peasants will have much say in the running of the Russian tournament, more likely multi-national conglomerates and the Russaian Mafia.

Hopefully the Qatari event will avoid being run on sectarian grounds, like our SPL.

Touch of bitterness in here, mate? :cool2:

Are you suggesting that the Russian and Qatari governments won't be paying ofr the preparations? Or at least raising the finance? Where are these contractors who build stadiums for nothing? Why couldn't RP get one of them to re-build Easter Road? I think we should be told!

I'm sure you're right - the Commonwealths are insignificant these days - but still very expensive. I just hope our Weegie pals make a better fist of their building program than the last lot did, though I'm not holding my breath.

Trans-Ural Russia is Siberia, and it's in Asia, right enough. part of the old Romanov Empire, part of the old Soviet Union. The power-base of Russian football is, however, much more in European Russia than in Siberia - not a lot of football played in the taiga, methinks. Russia has a long and distinguished history as a football nation, and arguably should have had the World Cup long ago - politics and Soviet xenophobia got in the way, I guess.

My reference to 'moujiks and mullahs' was my shy way of taking notice of some of the more superior commentators here and in the media - as if somehow not only did England have the RIGHT to this World Cup, but that no one else could possibly organise it as well as the pukka sahibs of the FA. It was probably a bad idea... :wink:

I, of course remember how well the FA organised things last time - impeccable choice of venues (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); impeccable choice of officials (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); and of course, the frightfully accommodating linesman who might have gone to Specsavers IF they had been in existence at the time. All organised by the awfully decent chappie Sir Stanley Rous. Oh yes - they also managed to lose the Jules Rimet Trophy. :rolleyes:

This was ENGLAND's bid - not the UK's. Frankly I'm relieved to be spared the pomposity, arrogance and self-satisfaction that would have been oozing out of every English media outlet right now if they'd been successful.

My only regret is that they didn't have Ian Wright in the studio when the result was announced.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Which countries are associated with bribery or corruption?

You tell me. You're the one saying the game is run by corrupt officials and suggesting there's more to why people voted than who was the best bid.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
You tell me. You're the one saying the game is run by corrupt officials and suggesting there's more to why people voted than who was the best bid.

Ok I'd say Russia.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok I'd say Russia.

Good stuff - that leaves another 11 votes required to get the nod then since it's a fairly safe bet they wouldn't need any persuasion to vote for themselves :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Good stuff - that leaves another 11 votes required to get the nod then since it's a fairly safe bet they wouldn't need any persuasion to vote for themselves :cool2:

But on the other hand if the Russians "spoke nicely" to some of the other Gods of football on the committee that like manbags and not handbags maybe they could have "persuaded" them?...

--------
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM

So 2012 has been given to a long-standing football nation, and 2022 to an emergent nation in an area of the world where FIFA wants to develope the game.Why would the Qataris play football, the Country has no grass!

[B]Hopefully the Qatari event will avoid being run on sectarian grounds, like our SPL.

Touch of bitterness in here, mate? Why should there be any sectarianism involved? Because it's in Qatar? You mean the mullahs will be pressuring the refs the way the archbishops do in Scotland? :cool2:

Are you suggesting that the Russian and Qatari governments won't be paying for the preparations? Or at least raising the finance? Where are these contractors who build stadiums for nothing? Why couldn't RP get one of them to re-build Easter Road? I think we should be told!

I'm sure you're right - the Commonwealths are insignificant these days - but still very expensive. I just hope our Weegie pals make a better fist of their building program than the last lot did, though I'm not holding my breath.

Trans-Ural Russia is Siberia, and it's in Asia, right enough. Part of the old Romanov Empire, part of the old Soviet Union. And they play football there, too. Russia has a long and distinguished history as a football nation, and arguably should have had the World Cup long ago - politics and Soviet xenophobia got in the way, I guess.

My reference to 'moujiks and mullahs' was my way of taking notice of some of the more superior commentators here and in the media - those who are talking as if somehow not only did England have the RIGHT to this World Cup, but that no one else could possibly organise it as well as the pukka sahibs of the FA.

I'm well aware that not all Russians are moujiks - I wish I was as certain about some of the talking heads that have been sounding off about this vote today. A nation that has produced Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Solzhenitsyn, Tchaikhovsky, Borodin, Mussorgsky, Shostakovich, Eisenstein - I won't go into their scientists, but you'll find some of them on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Russian_scientists - naw, they couldn't organise a World Cup....

It was probably a bad idea to mention 'moujiks', though... :wink:

I cherish my memories of how well the FA organised things last time - impeccable choice of venues (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); impeccable choice of officials (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); and of course, the frightfully accommodating linesman who should have gone to Specsavers IF they had been in existence at the time. All organised by the awfully decent chappie Sir Stanley Rous, President of FIFA. Oh yes - they also managed to lose the Jules Rimet Trophy. :rolleyes:

This was ENGLAND's bid that failed - not the UK's. Frankly I'm relieved to be spared the pomposity, arrogance and self-satisfaction that would have been oozing out of every English media outlet right now if they'd been successful.

My only regret is that they didn't have Ian Wright in the studio when the result was announced.

discman
02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Absolute tosh.

I wouldn't discount the threat of extremist groups such as Al Qaeda. However places such as Qatar, Oman, Dubai, Doha etc are more than happy to welcome 'Western Infidels' as you put it. Some of the biggest investment in this part of the world comes from American Universities who are being invited to open campuses in the region. The Qataris have already stated that the alcohol and modesty laws will be relaxed for the duration of the tournament. The average joe on the street in this region has no more problem with the west than you or i. Too many people look at unrepresentative governments such as the one in Iran as being a true reflection of a wonderful part of the world.

They are investing nothing thats tosh!!! They go there because, the ruling family invites them,who by the way have ruled without any elections and who dont recognise the international court of justice jurisdiction!

As for Iran , Qatar signed a defense co-operation agreement in 24/2/2010 and in march the prime minister of qatar gave his support to Irans right to nuclear technology,

The average jo will be a guest worker like the one who killed a British teacher in 2005,in a sucide bomb attack, but theyve loads of money so no worries eh! :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I was taken aback by Qatar getting WC 2022.

I'm even more astonished now to find that Australia only got 1 vote in the first round as, personally, I would have thought they were a really good candidate.

Has anyone been following the Aussie bid or have any ideas why they did so poorly?

magpie1892
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I was taken aback by Qatar getting WC 2022.

I'm even more astonished now to find that Australia only got 1 vote in the first round as, personally, I would have thought they were a really good candidate.

Has anyone been following the Aussie bid or have any ideas why they did so poorly?

They did so poorly as they couldn't address FIFA's greed in the same fashion that Qatar did.

I heard at 1pm today (in Doha) that Qatar had 2022. This was 11am in Zurich, two hours before voting began.

It stinks to high heaven.

lapsedhibee
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM

The perfect example of how the English media cocked everything up. No English sporting failure of any sort should ever be presented to the licence-fee-paying public without footage of Ian "Wrighty" Wright's greetin pus in the aftermath. :agree:

discman
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM

[B]Touch of bitterness in here, mate? Why should there be any sectarianism involved? Because it's in Qatar? You mean the mullahs will be pressuring the refs the way the archbishops do in Scotland? :cool2:

Are you suggesting that the Russian and Qatari governments won't be paying for the preparations? Or at least raising the finance? Where are these contractors who build stadiums for nothing? Why couldn't RP get one of them to re-build Easter Road? I think we should be told!

Trans-Ural Russia is Siberia, and it's in Asia, right enough. Part of the old Romanov Empire, part of the old Soviet Union. And they play football there, too. Russia has a long and distinguished history as a football nation, and arguably should have had the World Cup long ago - politics and Soviet xenophobia got in the way, I guess.

My reference to 'moujiks and mullahs' was my way of taking notice of some of the more superior commentators here and in the media - those who are talking as if somehow not only did England have the RIGHT to this World Cup, but that no one else could possibly organise it as well as the pukka sahibs of the FA.

I'm well aware that not all Russians are moujiks - I wish I was as certain about some of the talking heads that have been sounding off about this vote today. A nation that has produced Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Pushkin, Solzhenitsyn, Tchaikhovsky, Borodin, Mussorgsky, Shostakovich, Eisenstein - I won't go into their scientists, but you'll find some of them on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Russian_scientists - naw, they couldn't organise a World Cup....

It was probably a bad idea to mention 'moujiks', though... :wink:

I cherish my memories of how well the FA organised things last time - impeccable choice of venues (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); impeccable choice of officials (if you happened to be Alf Ramsey); and of course, the frightfully accommodating linesman who should have gone to Specsavers IF they had been in existence at the time. All organised by the awfully decent chappie Sir Stanley Rous, President of FIFA. Oh yes - they also managed to lose the Jules Rimet Trophy. :rolleyes:

This was ENGLAND's bid that failed - not the UK's. Frankly I'm relieved to be spared the pomposity, arrogance and self-satisfaction that would have been oozing out of every English media outlet right now if they'd been successful.

Tokik Bakharamovich Bakhramov was from Azerbaijan and was asked not long before he died how he was sure the ball was over the line in "that game"?

He replied "Stalingrad" maybe mythical but definately classic! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
They are investing nothing thats tosh!!! They go there because, the ruling family invites them,who by the way have ruled without any elections and who dont recognise the international court of justice jurisdiction!

As for Iran , Qatar signed a defense co-operation agreement in 24/2/2010 and in march the prime minister of qatar gave his support to Irans right to nuclear technology,

The average jo will be a guest worker like the one who killed a British teacher in 2005,in a sucide bomb attack, but theyve loads of money so no worries eh! :greengrin

Investment or otherwise an invite extended to an American University hardly shows a reluctance to welcome 'Western Infidels' to the country.

The original post i replied to was regarding the threat to fans from terrorism not Irans nuclear weapons program so i'm not sure what the point here is, other than Qatar is an unsuitable host, something i never disputed and actually stated earlier in the thread.

As for the average joe being a guest worker who kills civilians in terrorists attacks, i don't think so. I have worked in Qatar as a guest worker and found the people i encountered on a day to day basis to be nothing but friendly and accomodating. Qatar as a country does not deserve to host a World Cup but the post i originally responded to appeared to argue that visitors should be afraid of terrorism from civilians, something i would dispute.

Danderhall Hibs
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
They did so poorly as they couldn't address FIFA's greed in the same fashion that Qatar did.

I heard at 1pm today (in Doha) that Qatar had 2022. This was 11am in Zurich, two hours before voting began.

:agree: A few posters on the other thread don't believe it. It's all about greasing the right palms.

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Some of the posts on here are hilarious.

For anyone moaning about a non-European nation winning the 2018 World Cup - who won the 1960 European championship and was runner-up in 1964, 1972 and 1988?

And as for 2022, congratulations to Qatar :agree:

The World Cup is just that. A World Cup. Not exclusive to Europe and South America, in the same way that decisions in our own league shouldn't go to the Old Firm, despite the fact they are the biggest draw and have the most success.

Qatar can be seen to represent the Middle East, a region with a population larger than the USA, not far behind the European Union. Football's popular enough in the region, has been for long enough and the Qataris have the capacity to create the infrastructure that allows the tournament to happen.

Any criticisms of them getting the tournament because of money are pretty funny in my book when you look at how far removed the English game is from reality - as a nation technically poor but nevertheless floating in a sea of cash.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM

What you say may be true, though the fact that Qatar received 11 votes in the first round may mean they already knew they had almost the requisite number of votes required.

Your thesis doesn't explain, either, why Australia trailed behind both Japan and South Korea, who only held the thing 8 years ago.

I just wondered if there was a political / technical / other explanation why Australia's bid was so disregarded.

discman
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Investment or otherwise an invite extended to an American University hardly shows a reluctance to welcome 'Western Infidels' to the country.

The original post i replied to was regarding the threat to fans from terrorism not Irans nuclear weapons program so i'm not sure what the point here is, other than Qatar is an unsuitable host, something i never disputed and actually stated earlier in the thread.

As for the average joe being a guest worker who kills civilians in terrorists attacks, i don't think so. I have worked in Qatar as a guest worker and found the people i encountered on a day to day basis to be nothing but friendly and accomodating. Qatar as a country does not deserve to host a World Cup but the post i originally responded to appeared to argue that visitors should be afraid of terrorism from civilians, something i would dispute.

Well the guy was from Eygpt so.... there allegiance with Iran may make them unpopular with other Arab states,if theres any credence in the Wikileaks which appeared to suggest Arab leaders as apposed to the general Arab population want to cut the head off the the snake that is these pesky Persians! :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM

For anyone moaning about a non-European nation winning the 2018 World Cup - who won the 1960 European championship and was runner-up in 1964, 1972 and 1988?

The World Cup is just that. A World Cup. Not exclusive to Europe and South America, in the same way that decisions in our own league shouldn't go to the Old Firm, despite the fact they are the biggest draw and have the most success.

Qatar can be seen to represent the Middle East, a region with a population larger than the USA, not far behind the European Union. Football's popular enough in the region, has been for long enough and the Qataris have the capacity to create the infrastructure that allows the tournament to happen.

Any criticisms of them getting the tournament because of money are pretty funny in my book when you look at how far removed the English game is from reality - as a nation technically poor but nevertheless floating in a sea of cash.

:confused: Nobody here's arguing with that, are they? The point is whether Qatar's was the best bid amongst the 2022 candidates, none of whom were from Europe or South America.

magpie1892
02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
What you say may be true, though the fact that Qatar received 11 votes in the first round may mean they already knew they had almost the requisite number of votes required.

Your thesis doesn't explain, either, why Australia trailed behind both Japan and South Korea, who only held the thing 8 years ago.

I just wondered if there was a political / technical / other explanation why Australia's bid was so disregarded.

Agreed, I was being a bit flippant. I spoke to a couple of people this evening and one factor that both mentioned was the time difference for TV. Apparently this was a biggie.

Re: Qatar. What I say is true. When I was first in Doha in March of this year I was speaking to some of the local sports journos. We were talking about the bid and I laughed at the outrageous suggestion that a CITY (for that is what Qatar is) could hold the world's biggest sporting event, all in 50+ C heat. The sports guys looked at me as if I was mental and then went on to say that Qatar was very confident of getting it. I asked why. 'Votes bought and paid for'.

I've a wee pieced in tomorrow's Scotsman about it. Under a pen-name as if I went under my real byline I would get deported. And the piece is pretty tame as well, straight. That tells you a lot about Qatar that I would get kicked out for making a few points about how unsuitable this place is for the World Cup.

It's laughable. Tragi-comic.

Barney McGrew
02-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Qatar can be seen to represent the Middle East, a region with a population larger than the USA, not far behind the European Union. Football's popular enough in the region, has been for long enough and the Qataris have the capacity to create the infrastructure that allows the tournament to happen

The Qatar bid has a hell of a lot going for it, the country is very compact meaning there won;t be a lot of traveling between venues and each team will be able to keep the same base during the whole tournament. Anyone who's been to the Middle East before will be able to tell you that foreigners are made to feel very welcome and the standard of infrastructure is second to none.

Add to that a predicted population of over 700 million in the region by 2022, of which 300 million will be under 24, and you can see why FIFA were keen to get the World Cup there for the legacy it could leave.

I'm just gutted that between 2018 and 2022, one couldn't have been in Qatar and one in Australia.

discman
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM

By whom? Heres some imfo, in 1968 Qatar joined Bahrain and 7 other states in a federation,however disputes quickly followed compelling Qatar to resign and declare independance from the coalition,that would go on to evolve into the United Arab Emirates,

Qatar represents its self,sure its trying to involve its neigbours,but its relationship with Iran is going to piss off more than one Arab state, I think!! :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
02-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Agreed, I was being a bit flippant. I spoke to a couple of people this evening and one factor that both mentioned was the time difference for TV. Apparently this was a biggie.

Re: Qatar. What I say is true. When I was first in Doha in March of this year I was speaking to some of the local sports journos. We were talking about the bid and I laughed at the outrageous suggestion that a CITY (for that is what Qatar is) could hold the world's biggest sporting event, all in 50+ C heat. The sports guys looked at me as if I was mental and then went on to say that Qatar was very confident of getting it. I asked why. 'Votes bought and paid for'.
I've a wee pieced in tomorrow's Scotsman about it. Under a pen-name as if I went under my real byline I would get deported. And the piece is pretty tame as well, straight. That tells you a lot about Qatar that I would get kicked out for making a few points about how unsuitable this place is for the World Cup.

It's laughable. Tragi-comic.

Very sad, if not surprising, if what you say is true. I look forward to your Scotsman article.

magpie1892
02-12-2010, 07:43 PM
the standard of infrastructure is second to none.

Mate, I live here at the moment. The place is farcical.