PDA

View Full Version : Only 928 over Half Full

down-the-slope
14-11-2010, 08:42 AM
And that on a Hibs kids day after a tremendous result at Ibrox...on a perfect day weatherwise for a match...

We need more bums on seats (or standing if you are a rebel :wink:) to give the board more licence to support the manager in the Jan window......

matty_f
14-11-2010, 08:48 AM
And that on a Hibs kids day after a tremendous result at Ibrox...on a perfect day weatherwise for a match...

We need more bums on seats (or standing if you are a rebel :wink:) to give the board more licence to support the manager in the Jan window......

Spot on. I was surprised at how quiet it was, I thought that the win against rangers would have bright more of us out. Folk missed a really good game, and a good hibs performance.

Thankfully those that went made themselves heard.

Big Frank
14-11-2010, 08:49 AM

The hibs fans have had a bit of a gutful to be honest these last 18 months. Keep winning, bums will return.:cool2:

WindyMiller
14-11-2010, 08:52 AM
There was a fair few youngsters in the East, where the atmosphere was as good as it's been for many a day.
Hopefully their "match-day experience" will make them want to be taken back again.

:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
14-11-2010, 08:52 AM
The hibs fans have had a bit of a gutful to be honest these last 18 months. Keep winning, bums will return.:cool2:

:agree:

Despite the Rangers result the pain of last week was still raw.

More performances like that will see the crowds return.

marleyhib
14-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Not really that surprised after our very poor derby showing.

If we can put a good run together people will return.

down-the-slope
14-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Should have said it was nice to see so many whole families there in what was a much more pleasant atmoshpere for enjoying a match....and a good support for the team after the pen set back (a few exceptions of course who were still looking for someone in a green strip to moan at :rolleyes:)

Heard a few saying how much their kids had enjoyed their first match :greengrin

Cropley10
14-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I like the way Colin has been making the link between performances, results and attendance.

He knows he needs to get more bums on seats.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-11-2010, 09:23 AM
After the Pittodrie shocker and the derby, we could have well have been looking at crowd of below 10,000 for the Well game, so I don't think that it was too bad a turn out. Aberdeen's crowds fallen through the floor and Motherwell's crowds are just slightly above indifference, so perhaps we are not doing too badly.

sahib
14-11-2010, 10:21 AM
After the Pittodrie shocker and the derby, we could have well have been looking at crowd of below 10,000 for the Well game, so I don't think that it was too bad a turn out. Aberdeen's crowds fallen through the floor and Motherwell's crowds are just slightly above indifference, so perhaps we are not doing too badly.

Getting beat at Pittodrie and in the Derby is hardly a new experience.:boo hoo:
I thought the crowd would have been bigger. Are season ticket sales right down?

Hibbyradge
14-11-2010, 10:32 AM
There were 11240 at the corresponding fixture last season, and we were third in the league.

Hibs v Motherwell have often served up good entertainment. It's surprising more folk don't want to watch it.

Ringothedog
14-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Game last season against Well at a comparitive time of the season we got 11240. We were also on an 8 game unbeaten streak. Where will all those extra "bums on seats" come from. imho if we can get between 11 & 13k for our bread and butter matches and between 17k & 19k for our bigger matches i.e old firm and hearts We would be doing really well.

Matty_Jack04
14-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I think RP should be sorting this :greengrin.....I think when you have games scheduled for hibs kids games we should be reducing the cost for family tickets also espec at this time of year, tough couple of months money wise, to be spending £60+ on tickets for the game, pies etc is maybe asking too much?

TornadoHibby
14-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Spot on. I was surprised at how quiet it was, I thought that the win against rangers would have bright more of us out. Folk missed a really good game, and a good hibs performance.

Thankfully those that went made themselves heard.

Spot on - definately a much better atmosphere about the place with the team playing much better and fighting for everything on the pitch! Long may that continue! :agree: :cool2:

FromTheCapital
14-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Glad I went, Thought we were superb yesterday but thought that Miller and Murray could have walked. Miller for blootering the ball of Blackman whilst down and Murray for his tackle on Rudloph (Goalkeeper) in the 90th minute.

Anyway a good win and if we keep playing like the Motherwell and Rangers match then the crowds will increase. :notworthy:

Dunbar Hibee
14-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Glad I went, Thought we were superb yesterday but thought that Miller and Murray could have walked. Miller for blootering the ball of Blackman whilst down and Murray for his tackle on Rudloph (Goalkeeper) in the 90th minute.Anyway a good win and if we keep playing like the Motherwell and Rangers match then the crowds will increase. :notworthy:

Did he even do anything?:confused:

Sir David Gray
14-11-2010, 12:30 PM
It'll take more than one great performance for the fans to return. We have had a lot of negatives to contend with over the past nine months or so and very few positives to cheer about, and what we are seeing just now is probably the core support of the club turning out at Easter Road. The extra 4,000 or so that were turning up every other week three or four years ago will come back but only if they see a significant upturn in results and performance levels.

The last two matches are a start on the right road but it'll be a gradual process.

cockneymike
14-11-2010, 01:50 PM
It'll take more than one great performance for the fans to return. We have had a lot of negatives to contend with over the past nine months or so and very few positives to cheer about, and what we are seeing just now is probably the core support of the club turning out at Easter Road. The extra 4,000 or so that were turning up every other week three or four years ago will come back but only if they see a significant upturn in results and performance levels.

The last two matches are a start on the right road but it'll be a gradual process.

yeah - and don't forget the economic situation too. Performances and results will have to consistently improve for a considerable period for attendences to improve that much, given the fact that people will start to really feel the pinch in the new year with higher inflation and the VAT rise - not to mention increased job losses. :boo hoo:

In all honestly I don't see cat B attendences changing that much for a while. But cat A games could start to sell out if results go well, as people will want to attend the big games, if we're playing well; and that's when the increase capacity will help.

Dr What If?
14-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Just for a wee bit of context...

Hibs v Motherwell, 11,200
Dun Utd v Killie, 6,600
St Mirren v Celtic, 6,100
St J v Hearts, 4,150
Accies v ICT, 2,000
Huns v Dons, 45,000

Outside of the Rangers game, we had the highest attendance of the weekend, and by quite a margin. Agreed the numbers were not high but the overall picture makes a much more interesting reading....poor quality league, difficult financial times, over-priced product, bad weather????

WindyMiller
14-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Dun Utd v Killie, 6,600
St J v Hearts, 4,150
Accies v ICT, 2,000
Huns v Dons, 45,000

Outside of the Rangers game, we had the highest attendance of the weekend, and by quite a margin. Agreed the numbers were not high but the overall picture makes a much more interesting reading....poor quality league, difficult financial times, over-priced product, bad weather????

I'd be very surprised if there was 45k at Ibrox.

down-the-slope
14-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Dun Utd v Killie, 6,600
St J v Hearts, 4,150
Accies v ICT, 2,000
Huns v Dons, 45,000

That is both good points and worrying statistics. Hearts gub us in the Derby and are doing pretty well..easy away game....thats poor. Accies....don't know how they survive with crowds much lower than several irst dive teams. 45,000 seems to be the stock figure for ibrox these days (Hearts counting methods:rolleyes:) and as a round figure must be non accurate. OF away near / in Glasgow was a few years ago a garunteed sell out (even with live TV) DUFC...been poor of late and Killie not a big away support so thats about what you would expect.....

So our crowd would be pretty good were it not for Hibs Kids normally adding 1500/2000 to gate

Nigel
14-11-2010, 03:58 PM
tbh I fail to see why we expanded ER when the majority of games of games are only going to attract crowds of this amount. Surely a better squad of players would attract more fans than a new stand

Removed
14-11-2010, 04:18 PM
tbh I fail to see why we expanded ER when the majority of games of games are only going to attract crowds of this amount. Surely a better squad of players would attract more fans than a new stand

Please, not that debate again. Go and have a look back at threads over the past few months.

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I thought by the title this thread was going to about George Foulkes.

Keith_M
14-11-2010, 04:24 PM

That's been discussed sooo many times, and good reasons have been already given. The old East Stand needed replaced, the price was better than the club could possibly hope for and wouldn't likely see again, therefore it was rebuilt.

All that without a single gripe about the Edinburgh City Council and the FSA. Some clubs don't need excuses to cover their lies and fantasy stadia plans :wink:

Mind the door doesn't slam your maroon behind on the way out. :bye:

Jack
14-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Average 13,166 so far (6 home games) against the whole of last season average of 12,164. Seems OK so far :agree:

You could say it was low last season for all sorts of reasons but you'd have to set that against we've been crap this season until very recently i.e. about the last 4 days :greengrin. I'd say its a generally positive outlook.

Wembley67
14-11-2010, 04:42 PM

I honestly dont think the bums will return, if we can average 15k a game thats the max we are going to get for many many seasons.

Until prices are dropped substantially people aren't going to return, I think cost is more the problem than the actual football on display.

Big Frank
14-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I honestly dont think the bums will return, if we can average 15k a game thats the max we are going to get for many many seasons.

Until prices are dropped substantially people aren't going to return, I think cost is more the problem than the actual football on display.

Yeh, there is a lot of truth in that. I would say the main reason for empty seats (anywhere) is poor performances, and after that (especially Scotland) is the price.

James70
14-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I thought by the title this thread was going to about George Foulkes.

:faf: :faf: :greengrin

If we forget about the Mowbray and McLeish years I think the current attendances are really quite good. I can recall when a five figure crowd against non OF/Yams opposition was very acceptable and that was in the days when the admission price was only a few pounds or even less back in the 1970s/80s. It would be quite the norm to get 7-8,000.

Of course the stadium conditions were much more spartan in those days and not so many women went to games. I can recall a few years ago RP saying that we needed average attendances of around 12,000 to break even though I'm sure that figure would be higher now.

Iggy Pope
14-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Is that why your bum wasn't there yesterday?

Hibercelona
14-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Glad I went, Thought we were superb yesterday but thought that Miller and Murray could have walked. Miller for blootering the ball of Blackman whilst down and Murray for his tackle on Rudloph (Goalkeeper) in the 90th minute.

Anyway a good win and if we keep playing like the Motherwell and Rangers match then the crowds will increase. :notworthy:

P!sh.

It was a clear accident. His foot went through the ball as Blackman was falling down. There was no intent at all and was raging about the booking.

McDonald (the so called "hibee" by some on here :rolleyes:) was an utter t!t yesterday.

Wembley67
14-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Is that why your bum wasn't there yesterday?

Nah, personally I've now got better things to do with my time at the weekends. Sorry to say that but its true.

Antifa Hibs
14-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Nah, personally I've now got better things to do with my time at the weekends. Sorry to say that but its true.

Such as..?

Maybe i'm a wierdo, sad git, nae life etc etc, but whenever Hibs are playing, regardless of how good or bad we are, there is only one thing on my mind and that is seeing Hibs, I honestly for the life of me can't see having it anyother way, and thats not me just trying to sound like some sort of uber-fan, its just the way it is, if Hibs are playing, i'm there, and its been like that for 10-15 years, bosses, girlfriends, family, mates etc won't even bother asking me to do something on a Saturday afternoon as they no where i'll be and what the answer is.....

IWasThere2016
14-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Interestingly, The Scotsman ran the stats re the last time we and them bt the OF in '72.

It was something like 11k at Ibrox for Hun 1-2 Hibs and 10k for Yams 4-1 Cellic .. This was with players like Stanton, Dalglish, Ford, Greig etc playing.

Removed
14-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Such as..?

Maybe i'm a wierdo, sad git, nae life etc etc, but whenever Hibs are playing, regardless of how good or bad we are, there is only one thing on my mind and that is seeing Hibs, I honestly for the life of me can't see having it anyother way, and thats not me just trying to sound like some sort of uber-fan, its just the way it is, if Hibs are playing, i'm there, and its been like that for 10-15 years, bosses, girlfriends, family, mates etc won't even bother asking me to do something on a Saturday afternoon as they no where i'll be and what the answer is.....

You're not a weirdo, sad git, nae life imo

Plenty others feel the same

Wembley67
14-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Such as..?

I total respect that and I'm not trying to start one of THESE debates, I just have other things going on right now that are more much more important than Hibs.

Hopefully I will find myself back to ER in the future but unfortunately it wont be the foreseeable one.

Rory89
14-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm really wondering if me and my brother actually counted as being in attendance yesterday.

Turned up at the East 5 minutes after kick off and handed the guy at the turnstile the cash. I was expecting him to give us a couple of tickets and let us in, but when he didn't give us any I asked why and he said "just go in and sit somewhere".

Perhaps there's a perfectly reasonable explanation but I don't think it's totally out of the equation that the guy just kept a wee bit for himself.

NAE NOOKIE
14-11-2010, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=65bd;2637902]You're not a weirdo, sad git, nae life imo

Plenty others feel the same[/QUOTE

I dont get this at all. A HDN poster with 1000snds of posts comments that somebody who states that Hibs are the main thing in his weekend ( he didnt say life ) is a sad git / weirdo ?

I have been posting on this board since summer of 2007 and am not even near 1000 posts yet, so I cant understand why someone who is so obviously committed to at least voicing his opinion on all things Hibs can be so scathing in his opinion of a guy who actually thinks that the main part of being a Hibby is going along to ER to back the team.

If you and " plenty others " feel like that, why do you even bother coming on here to give your comments and opinions on a subject that your post seems to suggest is of no or very little merit?

:bitchy:

Removed
14-11-2010, 09:33 PM

I dont get this at all. A HDN poster with 1000snds of posts comments that somebody who states that Hibs are the main thing in his weekend ( he didnt say life ) is a sad git / weirdo ?

I have been posting on this board since summer of 2007 and am not even near 1000 posts yet, so I cant understand why someone who is so obviously committed to at least voicing his opinion on all things Hibs can be so scathing in his opinion of a guy who actually thinks that the main part of being a Hibby is going along to ER to back the team.

If you and " plenty others " feel like that, why do you even bother coming on here to give your comments and opinions on a subject that your post seems to suggest is of no or very little merit?

WTF are you on about :confused:

FranckSuzy
14-11-2010, 09:33 PM

See word in bold :cool2:

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Average 13,166 so far (6 home games) against the whole of last season average of 12,164. Seems OK so far :agree:

You could say it was low last season for all sorts of reasons but you'd have to set that against we've been crap this season until very recently i.e. about the last 4 days :greengrin. I'd say its a generally positive outlook.

I'm going to be contentious here and say that its to do with the new East effect, which has transformed the look of ER from an old football ground with three new stands into a proper stadium. I think its more attractive for people to visit. With the recession and us playing poorly, i'd say that without the East we would be averaging 9-10K this season. 13k is pretty good when you consider how poor we've been.

A good, winning, entertaining Hibs side in an economic boom, and the place will packed to the rafters every game.

Removed
14-11-2010, 09:39 PM

This aimed at me?

Suzy & Wembley - could you please edit your posts and add the missing "]" in after the [/quote. Looks like I posted that pish from Bovril.

Ta

FranckSuzy
14-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Suzy & Wembley - could you please edit your posts and add the missing "]" in after the [/quote. Looks like I posted that pish from Bovril.

Ta

:aok:

matty_f
14-11-2010, 10:12 PM

Did it not come out at the shareholder's meeting recently, that the average price per ticket at Easter Road is something like £12?

That could be the average price per game for the season ticket holders, right enough, but an average of £12 a game certainly isn't that steep.

Removed
14-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Did it not come out at the shareholder's meeting recently, that the average price per ticket at Easter Road is something like £12?

That could be the average price per game for the season ticket holders, right enough, but an average of £12 a game certainly isn't that steep.

It did Matty, but it means hee haw to the average person buying a ST unless they also buy ST's for a couple of bairns and their OAP dad.

Wembley67
14-11-2010, 10:19 PM

I do recall reading that somewhere and your right £12 isn't too expensive, it must be for the season ticket. Why not make it the same for a walk up fan or even £15? Obviously nobody really knows the costs involved of running the club (unless someone who wants to scrutinise the accounts for us) so all we can do is speculate.

Removed
14-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I do recall reading that somewhere and your right £12 isn't too expensive, it must be for the season ticket. Why not make it the same for a walk up fan or even £15? Obviously nobody really knows the costs involved of running the club (unless someone who wants to scrutinise the accounts for us) so all we can do is speculate.

Because if walkup was £15 I wouldn't buy a ST for myself and the club would lose out on the cashflow up front. Then they would be forced to reduce adult ST prices and average would drop to under a tenner and next thing we'd all be wanting in free :thumbsup:

matty_f
14-11-2010, 10:25 PM
It did Matty, but it means hee haw to the average person buying a ST unless they also buy ST's for a couple of bairns and their OAP dad.

I get that, Billy, but it shows how little scope there is to be bringing prices down which is really where I was going with my point.

I think there is scope to introduce cheaper ticketing policies for walk-ups, I'm certain it would make more sense to have a couple of thousand seats filled with folk paying £10-15 than it does to have those seats lying empty.

I think the club should make 1-2k tickets available on a matchday on a first come/first served basis at the reduced price. Hibs would need to restrict the numbers to make sure that the season ticket was still the preferred method of securing a good value seat, but IMHO, that approach could work.

Removed
14-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I get that, Billy, but it shows how little scope there is to be bringing prices down which is really where I was going with my point.

I agree, can't see much scope and it would open a massive can of worms.

I do think that SPL football is too expensive though and if things get tight for me over the next year with discretionary spending money then football would have to be on a spending review. I am scared to think about how much I spend on tickets, fuel and refreshments.

Antifa Hibs
14-11-2010, 10:40 PM
14000 Hibbys is about our maximum fanbase who attend games (then offcourse you have the hampden support etc on top of that).

Leith though is such as diverse place, an untapped market. Massive Polish and Asian population who I'm surprised we havn't targetted.

Saying that, our average attendence is probably only what..? About 1k lower than Hertz? Team thats 4th, tickets alot cheaper etc. I think pricing is a big factor though, the fact Dundee Utd last season and Motherwell this season can't add to their home or away gates kinda proves that. Even both our away games in Glasgow, Celtic away 45k, Rangers away 40k, its the same for everyone.

Hibernian Verse
14-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Say we have 9000 season ticket holders (I'm not sure how many we actually do).

2000 walk ups at an average of £14.50 let's say due to adult prices and concessions = £29,000 for the club.

5000 walks up at £7.50 average (if the club designated some matches for £10 Adult, £5 under 18) = £37,500 plus more pies!

It's simples :greengrin

Littlest Hobo
15-11-2010, 12:18 AM

2000 walk ups at an average of £14.50 let's say due to adult prices and concessions = £29,000 for the club.

5000 walks up at £7.50 average (if the club designated some matches for £10 Adult, £5 under 18) = £37,500 plus more pies!

If Hibs want to attract bigger crowds they could make a good start by getting their act together.
I attended the game on Saturday with the wife. We elected to sit in the new east stand. I handed a fifty pound note over to the guy at the turnstile who refused to take it. Club policy they don't except fifty pound notes? Fpml. He then tells me that the club shop might change it! I must confess to nearly turning around to head for home but I had made quite a journey to get there in the first place so decided to change it at the club shop were the young lad told me all they need to do is run a special type of pen across the note to make sure it wasn't fake. Why can't the guys in the turnstile have this equipment ? Petrie get it sorted!

Littlest Hobo
15-11-2010, 12:20 AM
If Hibs want to attract bigger crowds they could make a good start by getting their act together.
I attended the game on Saturday with the wife. We elected to sit in the new east stand. I handed a fifty pound note over to the guy at the turnstile who refused to take it. Club policy they don't except fifty pound notes? Fpml. He then tells me that the club shop might change it! I must confess to nearly turning around to head for home but I had made quite a journey to get there in the first place so decided to change it at the club shop were the young lad told me all they need to do is run a special type of pen across the note to make sure it wasn't fake. Why can't the guys in the turnstile have this equipment ? Petrie get it sorted!

So glad we never went home, we ended up in the singing section were we sang our hearts out for most of what was a really enjoyable match!

Lucius Apuleius
15-11-2010, 04:41 AM

Have you advised Petrie of your concerns?

I'm_cabbaged
15-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Would the title have read "Only 928 over Half Empty" last week? :dunno:

mjhibby
15-11-2010, 07:25 AM

How many players calderwood gets in depends on injuries and the likes of grounds loan situation.From yesterdays team there is stack,duffy,nish and zemmamma still to come back and of course the option for the likes of byrne,booth and moyes to finish their loan spells.I think another fb will come in and should bamba go,another ch and also another cmidfield player.January should also tell us who is staying and who is going with of course players able to sign precontracts.Should be a fascinating transfer window for once.

Andy74
15-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Only it's been proven time and again that lowering the price doesn't make those 5,000 turn up.

Everyone keeps mentioning that it was a Hibs kids game - that's pretty negligible these days as most have season tickets or would attend anyway so wouldn't have added anywhere the 1500 to 2000 a few have mentioned.

NAE NOOKIE
15-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Ah ...... Sorry I misread that to read that you didnt think he was a weirdo but was a sad git with no life.

Apologies ......... :foot:

FranckSuzy
15-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Ah ...... Sorry I misread that to read that you didnt think he was a weirdo but was a sad git with no life.

Apologies ......... :foot:

:greengrin Thank you but it wasn't my post you 'queried'! It was 65bd's :cool2:

Luna_Asylum
15-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Interestingly, The Scotsman ran the stats re the last time we and them bt the OF in '72.

It was something like 11k at Ibrox for Hun 1-2 Hibs and 10k for Yams 4-1 Cellic .. This was with players like Stanton, Dalglish, Ford, Greig etc playing.

We played the huns 3 other times that season with the following crowds:

easter rd 30000
hampden 75884
hampden 67547