PDA

View Full Version : De Graaf the key man now?

Shrekko
13-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Thought the midfield was different class 1st half today and for me he was the brains behind it.

He may not be the box to box type we hoped for but now he's settling in it's obvious he knows his was round a football park.

Second half when he went off we were a different team. I've no complaints about the way they worked to preserve the lead but there was no fluency and our work in the final third was nowhere near as threatening.

Seeing as the other guy who made a difference today was Trakys it's maybe a lesson to those who want to write players off after a few weeks. Particularly when they come from another country.

lucky
13-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Dont think he is the key man but today was by far his best perforamnce for Hibs and he was missed in the second half. Trakis and Murray were the key men and Deeks with his goals

random sub
13-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Thought the midfield was different class 1st half today and for me he was the brains behind it.

He may not be the box to box type we hoped for but now he's settling in it's obvious he knows his was round a football park.

Second half when he went off we were a different team. I've no complaints about the way they worked to preserve the lead but there was no fluency and our work in the final third was nowhere near as threatening.

Seeing as the other guy who made a difference today was Trakys it's maybe a lesson to those who want to write players off after a few weeks. Particularly when they come from another country.

Steady on there! A good performance from EDG, and probably his best since signing, but I think that all we can conclude was that he is probably a more effective performer than Stevenson.

shamo9
13-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I actually felt De Graaf was a problem for us in the first half. He was doing very well linking up with the forwards but he kept on leaving Hart with two men to deal with. Our shape basically meant that we had no right midfielder and all of the problems came down that side. It was only when CC had a word with Murray that Trakys pushed a little more to the right and covered the overlapping fullback.

In terms of why we dipped in the second half, I think it was more down to physical fatigue than any one player's absence. I'd consider Liam Miller the real heartbeat in our midfield and everyone can see he's really enjoying letting Ian Murray do the dirty work. Having Murray's presence in midfield really seems to have lifted everyone, they can play a little more freely knowing Murray will be there to mop up any mistakes.

I'd prefer Wotherspoon to De Graaf next week so we can really have a more solid shape. Right now we've got four midfielders who all want to play it really centrally. It's only when Miller, Rankin and De Graaf try the diagonal run that we really start to stretch teams.

hibsbollah
13-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Steady on there! A good performance from EDG, and probably his best since signing, but I think that all we can conclude was that he is probably a more effective performer than Stevenson.

I thought Lewis did well today:confused:

matty_f
13-11-2010, 06:14 PM

I thought that de graaf was excellent, and imho he's been improving week on week. He was very good against rangers as well, and looks now to be finally finding his feet in the spl. We were much less effective after he went off.

Shrekko
13-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Ian Murray was excellent today but I'll guarantee you that if he'd come off at half time it wouldn't have upset he balance of he team as much.

1st half we looked like we had lots of goals in us, 2nd half not.

Gmack7
13-11-2010, 06:18 PM
opinions eh,for me it was the wrong sub who came on,i thought spoony should have been a straight swap for degraff moving rankin to accomodate stevenson was a mistake.IMHO.

shamo9
13-11-2010, 06:21 PM

His final ball really let him down today, he did everything else right. He got into great positions 4 or 5 times and kept crossing it straight into the keepers' arms.

Andy74
13-11-2010, 06:22 PM
He's a good player. Always had looked like one. His misses were problematic for him though and he was being judged mainly on those.

Shrekko
13-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Got to say I think the choice of sub compounded the problem. Not sure why a further switch was made to accommodate Stevenson. Motherwell were so open at times that Lewis found himself in some unusual attacking situations and showed what a limited player he is.

shamo9
13-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Got to say I think the choice of sub compounded the problem. Not sure why a further switch was made to accommodate Stevenson. Motherwell were so open at times that Lewis found himself in some unusual attacking situations and showed what a limited player.

A straight swap for Wotherspoon with Rankin staying on the left would've been better.

Westie1875
13-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I thought that de graaf was excellent, and imho he's been improving week on week. He was very good against rangers as well, and looks now to be finally finding his feet in the spl. We were much less effective after he went off.

Agree with this, hope the injury doesn't keep him out for long.

sahib
13-11-2010, 06:35 PM

I wish Lewis had more belief in himself and had got at their defenders when he had the chance to do so.

Jonnyboy
13-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Ed had a good first half and looked a more confident player but like shamo9 I was a bit concerned that Hart rarely had an out ball down the right. Still, hope he's fit for our next outing and that his form continues to improve

Shrekko
13-11-2010, 06:56 PM
De Graaf was providing options to people over the park. Rather that than someone hugging the touchline and only being available to his full back.

Surely it's more of a concern that we had nobody regularly supporting the strikers in the 2nd half?

A good midfield will be fluid with everyone providing support and cover when necessary.

thebakerboy
13-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Thought EDG had a very good 1st half but as someone already posted he didn't cover his full back and CC made the double change because Lewis and Rankin both helped out the full backs so this helped in that but it also meant we were pushed a bit deeper. Also his decision to take Miller off when he started to blow oot his erchie and put Thicot on was good timing. The main difference to me is Murray in midfield and Trakys upfront and a new team spirit , all credit to the new manager.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
13-11-2010, 06:57 PM

De Graaf was better than he has been but for me Murray is the key man . His defensive play and drive have made all the difference to the side.

essexhibee
13-11-2010, 06:59 PM
He was always going to come good at some point. You dont captain a fairly decent dutch league team, play in europe, start hundreds of games if your pish.

Taken time to adjust but there is a clear player in there and he will come good.

fife hfc
13-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I thought De Graff was excellent in the first half and cimplimented the work done by Miller and Murray, both are not really players to make forward runs. In the second half we missed that but we dug in and showed a will to win that has been missing.

s2hart
13-11-2010, 07:24 PM
After watching De Graaf a couple of times, in the derby I thought we should build the midfield around him, when he took a booking for the team in the first half he disppeared for the rest of the game, I changed my mind but after I realised he was on his own wave length I do think the guy is class, for what I've seen of him.

Dirkster23
13-11-2010, 07:29 PM

:top marksReally made the midfield tick in the first half and i thought Motherwell struggled with our passing and movement. He was making runs today and always open for a pass. Unfortunately, we really missed him in the second half and this was made worse by putting Stevenson on for him. Hopefully it wasn't a serious knock for EDG and he'll be fit for next weekend.

NAE NOOKIE
13-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I have spent the whole season slagging Edwin for his poor performances so I was really pleased today to see him have easily his best game in a Hibs shirt.

Have to say I was disappointed to see him not appear for the 2nd half. It would be great if he can play like he did today every week.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I think he's been pish since he signed, but today was his best game for us imho, it was a pity he got injured.

matty_f
13-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I think he's been pish since he signed, but today was his best game for us imho, it was a pity he got injured.

I think he had been badly utilised up until recently, but he did well against Utd, was one of the better ones against the Yams, and was good against the Huns and again today.

It's taken him a while to adjust to the SPL, but I think he'll be an important player for us this season.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I think he had been badly utilised up until recently, but he did well against Utd, was one of the better ones against the Yams, and was good against the Huns and again today.

It's taken him a while to adjust to the SPL, but I think he'll be an important player for us this season.

Still to be convinced Matty, but if he can play like he did today you might be right?:dunno:

marinello59
13-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Still to be convinced Matty, but if he can play like he did today you might be right?:dunno:

He is right. :wink:

Dirkster23
13-11-2010, 10:07 PM

:agree: think there's been a steady improvement in his game. The more reasonable posters have always said it would take him time to setle in.

He looks a lot more comfortable in a midfield that's passing and moving at a pace.

7Hero
13-11-2010, 10:07 PM
thought he was excellent first half, still looks cumbersome which begs the question if you saw him running why would you buy him ???

however after a few games he is growing on me and i did think we missed him second half and so hopefully he will become a vital part of the team.

miller is an excepetional player but i feel we will only see the best of him (on a regular occasion !) when he has better players performing around him.

degraaf could compliment him well indeed..

onwards and upwards..

PISTOL1875
13-11-2010, 10:16 PM
As much as EDG done will today , the key man for me today big Trakys up front.. When we was the last time we had a forward like him ?? The last being GO'C ??..

He was brilliant today until say the last 15 mins when he was blowing due to lack of games...

He held the ball up well , set up both goals with good forward play , ,drew fouls to take the pressure off and gave both Craigan and Reynolds all sorts of problems and he even looks like he can tackle a bit as well...

If CC is going to play the 4141 system then he is the player that we need to keep fit.. If VT isn't fit enough to play then we will no out ball up front...

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2010, 10:18 PM
He is right. :wink:

I certainly hope he is. :pray:

Shrekko
13-11-2010, 10:22 PM

I'm guessing that you're not convinced because of one game and you think it could just be a false dawn?

The other way of looking at it is that he's simply taken 8-9 games (of a 3 year deal) to settle into an entirely new league, culture etc etc.

His initial poor form would look to be a blip as opposed to the norm going by his solid career in the Dutch League would it not? I think he was simply playing in a system that suited him better today. A lot of folk have said that others were better today but those other players were still on the pitch in the second half where we toiled (admirably though for a change!).

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm guessing that you're not convinced because of one game and you think it could just be a false dawn?

The other way of looking at it is that he's simply taken 8-9 games (of a 3 year deal) to settle into an entirely new league, culture etc etc.

His initial poor form would look to be a blip as opposed to the norm going by his solid career in the Dutch League would it not? I think he was simply playing in a system that suited him better today. A lot of folk have said that others were better today but those other players were still on the pitch in the second half where we toiled (admirably though for a change!).

I'm not convinced because imho he's been poor since he signed. I never saw him once while he played in Holland, so i'm judging him on what he's done imho since he signed for us. Today was a lot better, more of the same please.

marleyhib
14-11-2010, 09:17 AM
We really missed him in the second half, our midfield was too lightweight without him and we didn't hold on to the ball.

I thought we did well to hold on for a win yesterday when 2 of our best players on the day went off injured.

With Dickoh, Bamba, De Graaf, Murray and Trackys we have some much needed strength in our team and obviously Deek showed his class.

Still think we are weak at full back on both sides and could do with some pace but there are definite signs of improvement.

Hope Edwin and Francis are back soon, well done CC.

Hillsidehibby
14-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I have a Dutch mate who rates him highly. He was actually surprised that he signed for Hibs!

Mind you these dutchies can be arrogant gets at times.

Baldy Foghorn
14-11-2010, 03:18 PM
EDG is turning into a decent player for us, but in no way was yesterday his best performance for us....... He was outstanding against both sides of the old firm at Parkhead and Ibrox.....

Dunbar Hibee
14-11-2010, 03:27 PM
EDG is turning into a decent player for us, but in no way was yesterday his best performance for us....... He was outstanding against both sides of the old firm at Parkhead and Ibrox.....

Wouldn't say he was outstanding at Parkhead but I do think he will play a big part for us this season.

Andy74
14-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Yep. He was.

Cropley10
14-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm a fan - think there's a player in there.

Had a dodgy start in the SPL - but hey ho, had he taken those chances we'd probably still have Yogi in charge :devil:

Keith_M
14-11-2010, 04:51 PM
So, to sum it up, what everybody's saying is that yogi did have an eye for a player after all?

I wish you'd all make up your minds :devil:

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2010, 05:03 PM
So, to sum it up, what everybody's saying is that yogi did have an eye for a player after all?

:tee hee:

Dirkster23
14-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Could spot a player but didn't know how to get the best out of them:greengrin

hibsbollah
14-11-2010, 05:37 PM

He was also good in the European home leg.

basehibby
14-11-2010, 11:26 PM

:top marksSome of the comments on here have been pathetic regarding our newer signings - writting them off as pish when they've barely seen them play :bitchy:

Spike Mandela
15-11-2010, 08:20 AM
it's maybe a lesson to those who want to write players off after a few weeks..

Somehow doubt it. when there are still people on this board who write off Deeks as a 'luxury player'. What chance does a new foreign signing have:confused:

The Voice Of Reason
15-11-2010, 09:55 AM
He was also good in the European home leg.

I can understand people thinking that because he scored two goals, however one was a deflection (and the other was a cracking finish granted).

Myself and my mates thought his actual performance was poor - he looked off the pace and his touch was dreadful.

Opinions eh ?!?!? :greengrin

hibsbollah
15-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I can understand people thinking that because he scored two goals, however one was a deflection (and the other was a cracking finish granted).

Myself and my mates thought his actual performance was poor - he looked off the pace and his touch was dreadful.

He was the best Hibs player on the pitch that day by some distance IMO.

blackpoolhibs
15-11-2010, 11:47 AM

My and the three others who travelled up in the car thought that too. We were astounded when the guy on the radio gave him MOM. We had left before he scored the 2nd. :wink: Although he did play well before getting injured on Saturday.

Phil MaGlass
15-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Edg will be our player of the year..

ballengeich
15-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I still suspect that he's left the Dutch league because his pace is beginning to go. Despite that he probably has enough skill to be good for us if deployed properly.

matty_f
15-11-2010, 01:44 PM
He was the best Hibs player on the pitch that day by some distance IMO.

That's what I thought as well.:agree:

Seveno
15-11-2010, 02:20 PM
DeGraaf was excellent and it was a shame that he took a couple of knocks.

With Trakys beginning to look good and Ian Murray in the holding midfield role, we have a bit of backbone to the team. Motherwell weren't going to push us around and let's hope for a similar performance at Inverness. Remember John Rankin saying that Hibs were always regarded as being soft when he was at ICT ?

The Voice Of Reason
15-11-2010, 02:50 PM
That's what I thought as well.:agree:

You boys are clearly blind and know nothing about football.......:wink: :devil:

I obviously hope that EDG turns out to be a fantastic player for us......but I have severe doubts that that will be case.

If he scores the winner against Farts in the next Derby game he will become my favourite Hibs player and an of all time and an instant hero to boot - simple really ! :thumbsup:

dangermouse
15-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Thought EDG had a very good 1st half but as someone already posted he didn't cover his full back and CC made the double change because Lewis and Rankin both helped out the full backs so this helped in that but it also meant we were pushed a bit deeper. Also his decision to take Miller off when he started to blow oot his erchie and put Thicot on was good timing. The main difference to me is Murray in midfield and Trakys upfront and a new team spirit , all credit to the new manager.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I thought he subbed Miller as he was in danger of getting sent off!

As for EDG, there is a rumour about he has split with his partner which may have affected his performance of late.

joey1875
15-11-2010, 06:07 PM
i thought we were weaker when de graff went off