PDA

View Full Version : CC apologises to Well fans over O'Donnell comments.

3pm
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
This was on the BBC gossip column.

Motherwell fans want Colin Calderwood to apologise for not having a minute's silence following the death of Phil O'Donnell in 2007 when the Hibernian manager was in charge of Nottingham Forest. (Daily Record)

Thoughts?

Ritchie
11-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Motherwell fans want Colin Calderwood to apologise for not having a minute's silence following the death of Phil O'Donnell in 2007 when the Hibernian manager was in charge of Nottingham Forest. (Daily Record)

Thoughts?

motherwell fans are starting to sound like celtic fans.

Sprouleflyer
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Thoughts?

Was it a nationwide minutes silence??

If it wasn't, why are they moaning???

Pretty Boy
11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Calderwood questioned why there should be a minutes silence in England when it was a Scottish player who died in Scotland.

He pointed out there had been no minutes silence for Marc Vivien Foe (with the exception of the clubs he played for) or Miklos Fehrer.

He was widely criticised in the press at the time, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to say (even if he did have a point). I'm not sure an apology is necessary.

3pm
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Did Neil Lennon not ask for it?

Bad Martini
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Motherwell - part time celtc afflicted drama queens.

They piss me off. Not as much as celtc or rangers, but they DO piss me off.

That said, they are insignificant in the world today. Let's hope we stick 3 past them anaw.

Note: that doesn't mean I think any less of the minutes silence for O'Donnell to be observed in Scotland, by his colleagues and opposition. That, was the right thing to do. And indeed, a mark of respect given the man died playing fitba.

:agree:

Judas Iscariot
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
**** them :agree:

Hope we pump the **** out of them on Saturday..

*This is in no way aimed at or meant to offend PO'D, his family, friends etc etc...

degenerated
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Was it a nationwide minutes silence??

If it wasn't, why are they moaning???

according to calderwood there was nothing from the football league on it.

actually i agree with him on this one. whilst common decency alone dictates that in scotland we adhere to a minutes silence for a scottish player it becomes a bit silly when it is expected by supporters that this is done in other countries too.

if we want to carry on like that it won't be too long before we are having minutes silence at games for peoples pets.

Golden Bear
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Calderwood questioned why there should be a minutes silence in England when it was a Scottish player who died in Scotland.

He pointed out there had been no minutes silence for Marc Vivien Foe (with the exception of the clubs he played for) or Miklos Fehrer.

He was widely criticised in the press at the time, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to say (even if he did have a point). I'm not sure an apology is necessary.

Ok I might have my Hibs tinted specs on but imo CC was spot on in what he said. It was fair enough for all Scottish Clubs to stage & respect a minutes silence but where do you stop after that? (England, Wales, France, Lithuania etc etc)

Maybe it was an unnecessary remark but that doesn't make it a wrong one.

Green_one
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
For something in 2007!! God these guys have good memories

Though they do call themselves the Steelmen and they have not made that in Motherwell for a long long time. More like the Dolemen.

The whole thing was overplayed at the time, as it always is with ex OF players. I can remember when Davie Cooper died you would have thought the guy was the white Pele.

No Hibs manager is apologising to that bunch for something that happened at Nottingham three years ago. If they want to raise the temperature of the game, then great!! Perhaps they will apologise to all the creditors they cost millions to.

poolman
11-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Thoughts?

Why apologise for something you think that what you have done is right :confused:

Do these Lanarkshire tosspots think that CC is gonna change his mind because they think he's wrong :bitchy:

No doubt we'll see a banner from the travelling masses :rolleyes: on Saturday

MSK
11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Why apologise for something you think that what you have done is right :confused:

Do these Lanarkshire tosspots think that CC is gonna change his mind because they think he's wrong :bitchy:

No doubt we'll see a banner from the travelling masses :rolleyes: on SaturdayMotherwell say they dont want to be disrespectful to hibs or O'Donnell's family ..if so they should just back off & let it go ...regurgitating this old news imo is being disrespectful ..:bitchy:

Its about time those ****ers moved wi the times !!

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Ok I might have my Hibs tinted specs on but imo CC was spot on in what he said. It was fair enough for all Scottish Clubs to stage & respect a minutes silence but where do you stop after that? (England, Wales, France, Lithuania etc etc)

Maybe it was an unnecessary remark but that doesn't make it a wrong one.

Agree no case to answer and no need for apology

Sir David Gray
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I remember Calderwood making those comments at the time and I did think it was a bit of a crass thing to come out with, if I'm being perfectly honest.

After all, O'Donnell did play in England with Sheffield Wednesday so it's not as if he had no connections with English football at all and also, I realise that in football terms Scotland and England are separate but it was still a British football player who had just lost his life on the pitch so I don't think it was asking too much for there to be a minute's silence at all British games that weekend.

Having said that, it was almost three years ago now and I don't think the Motherwell fans should really be dragging up the past.

Hopefully this won't be the talking point at Saturday's match.

allezsauzee
11-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Surely something like this would be organised by the club secretary anyway? I would doubt that the role of Forest manager would entail organising tributes regardless of where the person has died

Cropley10
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Storm in a tea-pot.

IIRC Dundee United were forced to play their next fixture, despite having watched a man collapse and die on the pitch.

Personally I'm not sure that had an English Notts Forest player died in the same way, we'd have been having a minutes silence at Fir Park or Easter Road.

JimBHibees
11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Storm in a tea-pot.

IIRC Dundee United were forced to play their next fixture, despite having watched a man collapse and die on the pitch.

Personally I'm not sure that had an English Notts Forest player died in the same way, we'd have been having a minutes silence at Fir Park or Easter Road.

I agree there wasnt a minutes silence in Scotland when an Exeter player died recently from a very swift bout of cancer.

skipster7
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
already done:rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9181186.stm

Jim44
11-11-2010, 03:12 PM

I don't think he was obliged to apologise, but he has chosen to do so. I think they were looking to go into the game at the weekend perched on some sort of moral high ground. He's unexpectedly taken the wind out of their sails and I hope we go on to stuff them.

Saorsa
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
and he should tell the tae bolt :bye:

St.Kristopher
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
and he should tell the tae bolt :bye:

Well thats one approach. The other is to be more civilised - say sorry no offence meant and we can all get back to talking about the football. I just wish CC would do that instead...oh wait what's this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9181186.stm)?

persevere1875
11-11-2010, 03:43 PM
" Motherwell fans had demanded such an apology ahead of their sides Scottish Premier league visit to Easter Rd on Sunday "

Or What ??!!, Yer No coming if you don't get what you want ?? Sort yourselves out and grow up, muppett's :grr:

--------
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

That should surely be the end of the matter. :agree:

Cropley10
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Class from Coco! Spot on (again...)

(((Fergus)))
11-11-2010, 03:50 PM

New Corrie
11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Well thats one approach. The other is to be more civilised - say sorry no offence meant and we can all get back to talking about the football. I just wish CC would do that instead...oh wait what's this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9181186.stm)?

Quite right, glad CC has adressed this and we can now move on.

Dunbar Hibee
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/208377-calderwood-apologises-over-odonnell-comments/

Sorry if already posted.

BryanV
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
A classic 'non apology' apology from Calderwood there, like it.

matty_f
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM

No point making a big deal out of it, but a very responsible and tactful apology from Calderwood there.

He's handled that situation very well, IMHO.

bighairyfaeleith
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
CC handled that very well, however motherwell are at it and have to say if he had told them to bolt I wouldn't have cared less, in fact if he chose to take a dump on pa broons lawn I'd buy him a pint:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Starting to feel sorry for the poor chaps who have been up all night stabbing their fingers with needles in constructing a banner. Waste of time if they leave it, branded classless fuds if they take it.

No luck since Ravenscraig.

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Actually, that last comment was as classless as those I would deride. Apos to anybody offended.

In defense live too close to Tynecastle - there's something in the air.

--------
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Starting to feel sorry for the poor chaps who have been up all night stabbing their fingers with needles in constructing a banner. Waste of time if they leave it, branded classless fuds if they take it.

No luck since Ravenscraig.

Not to worry, Bob. If I know the Murderwellers, they'll soon have another grievance they can use it for.

(And around Fir Park lots of people stab themselves with needles for fun....)

Bad Martini
11-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Not to worry, Bob. If I know the Murderwellers, they'll soon have another grievance they can use it for.

According to t'internet, there's 370,000 soor faced getts living in Motherwell. Famous for being soor faced living near scabby auld steelworks, a sheite fitba team and housing north lanarkshire cooncil and the strathclyde bizis N division :greengrin

Hmmm. And, a penchant for trying to out-soor-face rasellick.

Gits. :grr: :greengrin

HibsMax
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Well done, CC. Excellently chosen words. :top marks

The_Todd
11-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh for Christ's sakes.

What happened to O'Donnell was tragic, and everyone in Scotland paid tribute at the time.

Why do Motherwell feel the need to go as far as resurrecting a non-event from 3 years ago in England? Motherwell are actually using their deceased ex-captain as ammo in a petty point scoring excerise and it's frankly cringeworthy. It's also disrespectful to Phil O'Donnell more than anything Colin Calderwood did (or didn't as the case may be) do.

Steve-O
12-11-2010, 06:49 AM
He's apologised if he's caused offence but, rightly, not apologised for what he said.

Part/Time Supporter
12-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Hibs would be entitled to let Mark Brown ask whether Motherwell are ever going to get round to settling up the contracts of all those people they dumped on in 2002, including him.

I think that's more important than whether the (then) Nottingham Forest manager thought it was appropriate to have a minute's applause for a Scottish footballer playing in Scotland, but hey maybe that's just me.

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 09:21 AM
This seems like a particularly petty piece of attention seeking. I despair about living in Scotland more and more every day. People seem to revel in carrying their hurt and anger around with them.

brydekirk
12-11-2010, 09:28 AM
pa broon must be struggling to motivate his team. :agree:

heretoday
12-11-2010, 09:30 AM
The further west you go the more people wear their hearts on their sleeves and get excited about gestures, flags, perceived slights etc.

It make me sick. :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
The further west you go the more people wear their hearts on their sleeves and get excited about gestures, flags, perceived slights etc.

It make me sick. :rolleyes:

That's one reason I am very uncomfortable having a drink with people from that part of the world. It's a lottery whether or not you press one of their "offended" buttons, they seem to have one for every occasion.

Still they're a lot warmer and friendlier than we are in the East. At least that's what they keep telling us.

Keith_M
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I think CC was being very diplomatic in what he said but I personally would have told them to shove it.

It sounds to me that the people that asked for this apology have been associating too much with the professional Celtc fan. The kind that looks for offence at every occasion then make a big fuss.

There's a bit in today's Scotsman about something called the Glasgow effect. The fact that, even taking into account the level of poverty and deprivation, Greater Glasgow has a much higher percentage of people that suffer from depression, heart attacks, and a negative outlook on life than should be expected. Maybe it's because Glasgow and surrounding areas is the epicentre of 'misrabblebarstewarditis'.

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
This seems like a particularly petty piece of attention seeking. I despair about living in Scotland more and more every day. People seem to revel in carrying their hurt and anger around with them.

I don't think that's right and quite frankly, i'm hurt and offended that you felt the need to make such a comment. I'm off to cry into my beer about that bitch who broke my heart and took all my money and has poisoned the kids against me. Hope you sleep well at night.