PDA

View Full Version : Joey Barton

Sir David Gray
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
What a vile, vicious little thug he is.

Has anyone else seen his assault on Morten Gamst Pedersen last night? The pair of them harmlessly brushed past each other, shoulder-to-shoulder, and Pedersen goes to apologise to Barton for that but instead of shaking hands and moving on, Barton gives him a massive punch in the stomach. Not only that but it was also the venomous look on Barton's face when he did it.

To give Pedersen his due, he didn't react and was actually quite calm about things, even when Barton tried to worm his way out of it by giving some pathetic excuse. Even in his interview afterwards, he was very diplomatic and stated that he wants the FA to deal with it and people can make their own minds up by watching the incident.

After his antics last night, I sincerely hope the FA throws the book at him.

He'll never change his ways and they should have chucked the keys away the last time he got locked up. Hopefully it'll not be long before he's back where he belongs.

maturehibby
11-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Joey Barton = Ian Black both yobs

Pretty Boy
11-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else seen anything of the Newcastle game last night other that that incident and the goals, i did and the pictures don't tell the whole story.

Sam Allardyce set his players out to wind up Barton, at least 5 or 6 times he was subjected to some pretty shocking tackling. He was the victim of sly kicks off the ball, shirt pulling, verbals etc etc

Ok a lot of players are able to ignore that but perhaps Pederson pushing against him was the final straw. It wasn't big or cleve by Barton but Blackburn should be equally ashamed of their behaviour.

I suppose put in that context it doesn't make quite as good a story for Sky Sports though.

Oh and if you classify that as a 'massive' punch in the stomach we obviously have a differing opinion on what constitutes a 'massive' punch.

Sir David Gray
11-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else seen anything of the Newcastle game last night other that that incident and the goals, i did and the pictures don't tell the whole story.

Sam Allardyce set his players out to wind up Barton, at least 5 or 6 times he was subjected to some pretty shocking tackling. He was the victim of sly kicks off the ball, shirt pulling, verbals etc etc

Ok a lot of players are able to ignore that but perhaps Pederson pushing against him was the final straw. It wasn't big or cleve by Barton but Blackburn should be equally ashamed of their behaviour.

I suppose put in that context it doesn't make quite as good a story for Sky Sports though.

Oh and if you classify that as a 'massive' punch in the stomach we obviously have a differing opinion on what constitutes a 'massive' punch.

Whether it was a "massive punch" or not (I still think it was, by the way) is neither here nor there. The punch was vicious and aggressive, had nothing at all to do with football and if it had happened outwith the confines of a football pitch, Barton would have spent last night in the cells and would currently be facing ANOTHER assault charge.

I don't see what's wrong with Blackburn targeting Barton either, so long as it's firm but fair. How many of Blackburn's four bookings last night were for tackles on Joey Barton? If you have someone in the opposition that you know has a short fuse then it's only natural that you'll try to wind them up.

If he's now at the stage where he can't handle players from other teams noising him up a little bit then it would be for the best if he gave up playing football.

Barton has to grow up and realise that he can't just go around sorting people out by using his fists.

In saying that, I would love to see him go ten rounds with the guy in your avatar. That should wipe the vicious little grin off his face.

scott7_0(Prague)
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

thanks Chris, how is life after Colin's departure!?:wink:

CMac1988
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CO6ymxxLg8

Grade A thud! :bitchy:

hibee92
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
stupidity. but still a top class player if he gets his heid doon! :agree:

StevieC
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Barton has let himself down, I dont think there is any denying that. It's a shame because for the last year and a half he has probably been targeted every other week to try and get a reaction without rising to it.

I totally agree though, Blackburn were a disgrace yesterday. Big Sam had obviously told them to go out and get a result by whatever means necessary. Diving and time wasting from the word go, trying to get opposing players booked, niggling tackles from behind, intentional jumping into players for every aerial challenge. No excuse for Barton but sticking your elbow in as a player runs past .. any need?

MrSmith
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
One of Wullie Mackeye's boys! He'll be signing for Rangers then...?

Pretty Boy
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Barton has let himself down, I dont think there is any denying that. It's a shame because for the last year and a half he has probably been targeted every other week to try and get a reaction without rising to it.

I totally agree though, Blackburn were a disgrace yesterday. Big Sam had obviously told them to go out and get a result by whatever means necessary. Diving and time wasting from the word go, trying to get opposing players booked, niggling tackles from behind, intentional jumping into players for every aerial challenge. No excuse for Barton but sticking your elbow in as a player runs past .. any need?

:agree: Thats pretty much what i was trying to say above.

I'm not defending what Barton did, it was stupidity and any punishment he gets is deserved. But Blackburn went out to target him. FalkirkHibee suggested he has no problem with a team being 'hard but fair', that last night wasn't anything of the sort, it was constant foul play and the kind of anti-football tactics that Allardyce has built his managerial career on.

My big problme is the way the press are reporting this as some sort of unprovoked attack. Quite simply it wasn't.

cabbageandribs1875
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9181426.stm

Newcastle's Joey Barton has been charged with violent conduct after appearing to punch Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen at St James' Park.

jail him, and make him share a cell with that other bammer gascoine http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11728764

The sentencing of former footballer Paul Gascoigne for drink-driving has been adjourned after he failed to show up at court.

:taxi:taxi

HibbyAndy
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Barton is a vile nasty piece of work, Nasty horrible individual that wont/will not learn.

Throw the book at the rodent faced ersehole.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Never seen one of these threads for about 18 months.

That being "lets have a go Newcastle thread". I nearly started a thread last week when we beat the Arsenal to gloat.

Barton has been sensational recently and has been behaving himself for nigh on 2 years, so last night was extremely disappointing.

Hopefully this is only going to be a flash point as Newcastle will ceratinly miss him in the next few games

Woody1985
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
He's got a cracking dig on him! Mgp **** himself and he won't be winding barton up again any time soon.

If you push people to the limit they break. The problem blackburn had was that when he did break the officials didn't see it and they got no advantage during the game.

Serves them right.

Woody1985
11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
As for the poster above, no one is having a go at Newcastle. THe op was about barton.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-11-2010, 04:54 PM
As for the poster above, no one is having a go at Newcastle. THe op was about barton.

I know. im just being smug as a few years ago there were numerous Newcastle haters on here, who in reality knew nothing about what was going on.

Seeing as they have been doing so well and Joey has been so important to them, i thought i would bring it up:greengrin

Obivously i dont condone what he did, im actually angry as we have relied on him on the right so much

discman
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
What a vile, vicious little thug he is.

Has anyone else seen his assault on Morten Gamst Pedersen last night? The pair of them harmlessly brushed past each other, shoulder-to-shoulder, and Pedersen goes to apologise to Barton for that but instead of shaking hands and moving on, Barton gives him a massive punch in the stomach. Not only that but it was also the venomous look on Barton's face when he did it.

To give Pedersen his due, he didn't react and was actually quite calm about things, even when Barton tried to worm his way out of it by giving some pathetic excuse. Even in his interview afterwards, he was very diplomatic and stated that he wants the FA to deal with it and people can make their own minds up by watching the incident.

After his antics last night, I sincerely hope the FA throws the book at him.

He'll never change his ways and they should have chucked the keys away the last time he got locked up. Hopefully it'll not be long before he's back where he belongs.

I sincerly hope he ducks! :greengrin

jabis
11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
good grief,with all the fuss going on about this,I thought I was going to see a Zidane type "have a bit of THIS"....not a wee slap !
some people should just stick to Strictley Come Dancing,and have a charity greetathon,when some c list "celeb" strains a thumb !

.Sean.
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Joey Barton is nothing other than ****. Should be in the jail.

Woody1985
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
I know. im just being smug as a few years ago there were numerous Newcastle haters on here, who in reality knew nothing about what was going on.

Seeing as they have been doing so well and Joey has been so important to them, i thought i would bring it up:greengrin

Obivously i dont condone what he did, im actually angry as we have relied on him on the right so much

:greengrin

On the hate Newcastle point, I take it everyone loves Mike Ashley (I think that's his name) now?

jabis
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Joey Barton is nothing other than ****. Should be in the jail.

Say's the Oasis fan.

Going by your logic,Oasis would have released 1 album by now,as they would have been locked up by Judge Sean.

Great (sometimes) music.

Thuggish (always) Mancunians.

BigKev
11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Joey Barton is a vile little sc*umbag, very surprised at the backing he's getting on here.

Big Sam obviously got his tactics bang on - they won 2-1 against 11 men did they not?

If bully boy Barton can't handle a dig or two in a game by now he'll never change. Once a thug, always a thug.

truehibernian
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Totally unacceptable from Barton, can't condone it. But football needs villians of the piece and I know that I would have loved playing against him in a midfield battle. IMHO it raises a footballers game to compete against these types of players. Skilful players play on the fact that he will lose the rag, whilst the real "hurters" love giving it back to him with interest. Football would be dull without the Bartons of this world (honestly).

Hibs haven't had one since Calum Milne and Shaun Dennis IMO. They strike fear into the opposition. Our very own Willie Miller could be a right hard bar steward too.

CRAZYHIBBY
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
we could have done with a team of joey bartons for sundays match:agree:

Dunbar Hibee
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Doesn't really matter how hard he hit him. The fact is he hit him.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
3 game ban accepted, no appeal. SSN.

snooky
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM

That being "lets have a go Newcastle thread". I nearly started a thread last week when we beat the Arsenal to gloat.

Barton has been sensational recently and has been behaving himself for nigh on 2 years, so last night was extremely disappointing.

Hopefully this is only going to be a flash point as Newcastle will ceratinly miss him in the next few games

Don't like Barton or what he did but the organised intimidation he was subjected to is much worse. I'm old enough to remember Alex Edwards getting weekly doses of the same medicine till he would eventually crack.

Authorities need to look at the whole NU v BR game and do something about the tactics of Allardyce, and his like.

It's an unsavoury side of the beautiful game that FIFA view with Nelson's eye.

NOLA
11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd have him at Hibs :duck:

Hibs Class
11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Don't like Barton or what he did but the organised intimidation he was subjected to is much worse. I'm old enough to remember Alex Edwards getting weekly doses of the same medicine till he would eventually crack.

Authorities need to look at the whole NU v BR game and do something about the tactics of Allardyce, and his like.

It's an unsavoury side of the beautiful game that FIFA view with Nelson's eye.

Agree. It's not the first time this season that Barton has been singled out for repeated fouling and niggling by the opposition; I remember one week MOTD putting together the examples from one game and Barton kept getting up and getting on with the game until he finally fouled back and got booked. Allardyce is smart at these negative tactics though.

.Sean.
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Say's the Oasis fan.

Going by your logic,Oasis would have released 1 album by now,as they would have been locked up by Judge Sean.

Great (sometimes) music.

Thuggish (always) Mancunians.
Who's he?

SteveHFC
11-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Barton is a vile nasty piece of work, Nasty horrible individual that wont/will not learn.

Throw the book at the rodent faced ersehole.

:agree:

MrRobot
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Guys an idiot but he's a cracking player. Pederson was pretty cool about it though, think he coulda stayed on his feet though.:greengrin

GerryS
11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
There is no doubt that Joey lost it last night and was way out of line. He has been angelic when players try to wind him up and get him to lose it every week (Karl Henry, Lee Cattermole, Ryan Shawcross to name but a few already this season). He has been banned and Chris Hughton will fine him. Move on!

essexhibee
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
****ing animal should never have been allowed to play football again after his stint in Strangeways before.

Disgusting vile creature.

jabis
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Who's he?

my apologies,I meant Judge.sean. :greengrin

ForeverHibs93
12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
How can people blame big sam's tactics:confused:? there are teams that get stuck right into opposition in every league its a fact of football, doesn't give players the right to go punching each other, Barton always was a thug and always will be a thug:agree:

StevieC
12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
How can people blame big sam's tactics? there are teams that get stuck right into opposition in every league its a fact of football, doesn't give players the right to go punching each other

There is getting stuck in and there is diving, cheating, niggling and trying to get players booked. If you had actually watched the whole of the game you would have seen the sort of tactics that were being deployed. There were a couple of times the ref actually ignored Blackburn players lying on the ground because he was sick of their time-wasting tactics.

Barton always was a thug and always will be a thug:agree:

Except for the last year and a half though, where he has buckled down and played the football despite being targeted on a regular basis for "special" treatment.

As I've said, he's let himself down badly here (after getting elbowed), but the level of hatred on here isn't justified based on his recent behaviour. I reckon you could easily name at least a dozen Premiership players that have behaved much worse than Barton over the last year and never had a word said about it.

persevere1875
12-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Cant see why everyone's getting so upset about it really, If he had punched him in the mouth then yes I can see the point but he gave him a dig in the chest and to be fair it didn't look that big a dig IMO, you see a damn site worse deliberate elbows etc every week and I don't see three match bans being thrown out for them,about time some of these footballers decided to man up, can you imagine the vast majority of today's players playing in the 70's early 80's. But hey it's Joey Barton so he'll be crucified regardless .

Just Jimmy
12-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Joey Barton has been a victim of excessive kick him tactics all season. Wolves away, Blackburn at home for example. Nothing is ever made of anything that he's on the recieving end of. In fact following Karl Hendrys assaults on him after the Wolves game the match of the day clowns sat and chuckled away. The fact is Barton has a reputation that although deserved in the past, has been way wide of the mark for the past 2 years.

I'm still waiting on the FA punishing De Jong for the disgusting assault which ended Ben Arfas season by the way.

StevieC
12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
he gave him a dig in the chest and to be fair it didn't look that big a dig IMO

If you look at how much Barton's momentum changes after Pederson sticks his elbow out, it looks like Barton took a harder hit than Pederson. The difference being that Barton didn't go down squealing like a stuck pig, and stay on the ground for 3 minutes afterwards. It was, along with a lot of other dives and cheating by Blackburn on the night, a reaction to try and get a player sent off.

Hibernia Na Eir
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Barton's from the Richard Gough school of dirty hacking bassa's.:agree:

DH1875
12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
He is a horrid little man who is in need of a good kicking.

lapsedhibee
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Joey Barton has been a victim of excessive kick him tactics all season. Wolves away, Blackburn at home for example. Nothing is ever made of anything that he's on the recieving end of. In fact following Karl Hendrys assaults on him after the Wolves game the match of the day clowns sat and chuckled away. The fact is Barton has a reputation that although deserved in the past, has been way wide of the mark for the past 2 years.

I'm still waiting on the FA punishing De Jong for the disgusting assault which ended Ben Arfas season by the way.

Ah. The Jack Regan defence of the indefensible. Someone else is as bad, or worse, therefore our boy/lot is ok really. :bitchy:

As for Barton having been squeaky clean for the last two years, simply not true. At 3 or 4 nil down in the Arsenal league cup tie the other week, he decided it would be a good idea to give someone a good hard knee in the back of the leg for no apparent reason other than that he is Barton. I don't recall him being targeted to breaking point in that match.

lapsedhibee
12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
he gave him a dig in the chest and to be fair it didn't look that big a dig

He gave him a dig in the chest in the same sense that Zidane gently nuzzled that Italian bloke in the Worldcup final. Do you Toon guys watch the matches through barcodes? :confused:

TrickyNicky
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
good grief,with all the fuss going on about this,I thought I was going to see a Zidane type "have a bit of THIS"....not a wee slap !
some people should just stick to Strictley Come Dancing,and have a charity greetathon,when some c list "celeb" strains a thumb !

I agree, young men at their prime, gettin stuck in, that's what we want to see.

Imagine if Pedersen was Kyle Lafferty ?

Pedersen did himself no favours with the big crumble - deserved another one for bein a jessy.

He could've taken the punch to the boob, and asked him if he was trying to chat him up, then spent the rest of the match threatening him with sexual assault.

StevieC
12-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Ah. The Jack Regan defence of the indefensible. Someone else is as bad, or worse, therefore our boy/lot is ok really. :bitchy:

A bit like us with Riordan?

:dunno:

lapsedhibee
12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
A bit like us with Riordan?

:dunno:

I didn't notice anybody using the JR Defence after DR kicked Satchel. I thought more than half the posters condemned him - said he'd done wrong because it was irresponsible, dangerous, left us without a striker for Wednesday, should never be captain again, should grow up, etc; and less than half said he should have kicked Satchel harder. I don't recall anyone saying it was ok because someone else already did something similar this season, either to Satchel or to anyone else.

(I understand the JR Defence to be that however disgracefully Celtc FC or TGFITW behave, it's not that bad really because Huns FC or their fans do, or have done, something similar or even worse.)

StevieC
12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I thought more than half the posters condemned him - said he'd done wrong because it was irresponsible

Ah .. got you .. kind of like the way that more than half the Newcastle posters have said in this thread then (with the exception that none of them have said he should have hit him harder of course)? Not really an overall swing towards a JR defence at all then? That'll just be something you've made up on the back of one part of one post, no?

:hmmm:

steakbake
12-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Yeah, it's a well known rivalry, that of Hibs and Newcastle United :dunno:

Anyhow, the original point: basically, Barton is a disfunctional nutter who, if he hadn't got into football, would have ended up in prison... no wait....

As for behaving himself for 2 years, what does he want, some kind of good behaviour medal or a gold star perhaps? You're supposed to behave yourself.

(((Fergus)))
13-11-2010, 02:01 AM
The only problem with what he did was that he hit pansy Pedersen. I'd prefer to have seen him drop kick fat Sam for setting his team out to get him sent off.

lapsedhibee
13-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Ah .. got you .. kind of like the way that more than half the Newcastle posters have said in this thread then (with the exception that none of them have said he should have hit him harder of course)? Not really an overall swing towards a JR defence at all then? That'll just be something you've made up on the back of one part of one post, no?

:hmmm:

Didn't say or imply that there was an overall swing towards a JR Defence. Merely highlighted one part of Just Jimmy's post as being the JR Defence.

True, no Toon poster has said Barton should have punched the Blackburn boy harder than he did - but a few have tried to argue that it wasn't much of a punch (etc). As Dunbar Hibee has said, the issue is not how hard or soft Barton's punch was - it's the fact that he punched his opponent.

Agree about Allardyce's anti-football approach, too - pity he couldn't be eradicated from the EPL as well as the thug in question (and de Jong). (Or, if you prefer, poor misunderstood victimised ingenue, rather than thug.) :wink:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Nae problem wi Newcastle now, in fact the fans deserve better than the owners have recently given them, Like Chris Hughton and it was good to see the team doing well recently.

Barton is another matter, continues to drag the club into disrepute, you don't know when he is going to let the team down next which doesn't help on the pitch, Vile wee coward and this one might be the final straw as far as the FA are concerned, long ban required, if only to protect other players from possible assaults, as distinct from heavy tackles which are part of the game.

StevieC
15-11-2010, 04:03 PM
True, no Toon poster has said Barton should have punched the Blackburn boy harder than he did - but a few have tried to argue that it wasn't much of a punch

I dont think there's much argument, it quite clearly wasn't much of a punch. I've digged my mates harder for calling me fatty. It was more of a clenched slap of the right boob. :greengrin

Barton is another matter, continues to drag the club into disrepute, you don't know when he is going to let the team down next which doesn't help on the pitch, Vile wee coward and this one might be the final straw as far as the FA are concerned, long ban required, if only to protect other players from possible assaults, as distinct from heavy tackles which are part of the game.

That's the thing that Newcastle fans can point out to you though, regarding Barton. From the start of last season Hughton has used Barton as a midfield playmaker rather than a ball winner, and very effectively I might add. If you watch a full Newcastle game closely you will see that a lot of the midfield play will often come through Barton before being distributed down the wings. Barton's game has improved tenfold from the player that put in that nasty tackle in the closing stages of the relegation disaster and he has certainly become a target rather than the one dishing it out.

I know that this will disappoint those that would still like to view him as a nasty piece of work, but that's the facts.

BryanV
15-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I dont think there's much argument, it quite clearly wasn't much of a punch. I've digged my mates harder for calling me fatty. It was more of a clenched slap of the right boob. :greengrin

That's the thing that Newcastle fans can point out to you though, regarding Barton. From the start of last season Hughton has used Barton as a midfield playmaker rather than a ball winner, and very effectively I might add. If you watch a full Newcastle game closely you will see that a lot of the midfield play will often come through Barton before being distributed down the wings. Barton's game has improved tenfold from the player that put in that nasty tackle in the closing stages of the relegation disaster and he has certainly become a target rather than the one dishing it out.

I know that this will disappoint those that would still like to view him as a nasty piece of work, but that's the facts.

The fact that Barton has been a more creative midfielder this season hardly refutes the point you quote. Barton has been a target this season and I was annoyed by the laughing of the MOTD panel at his treatment in the Wolves game. However, it is noticeable that Barton's outbursts tend to focus on those smaller and younger than him. Perhaps he didn't fancy losing his temper with Carl Henry.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Can see the point, but as a playmaker he probably should have found it easier to stay out of trouble than if he'd been a ball winner, good thinking by Hughton but trouble follows the guy around, and all he has to do to stay out of it is nothing, but get on with the game, instead reacting, with his track record he should know better.

marinello59
15-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Can see the point, but as a playmaker he probably should have found it easier to stay out of trouble than if he'd been a ball winner, good thinking by Hughton but trouble follows the guy around, and all he has to do to stay out of it is nothing, but get on with the game, instead reacting, with his track record he should know better.

Easier said than done sometimes given the provocation he gets. . At least Barton admits he has a problem and I genuinely believe he has been trying to sort himself out. Aye, he was wrong , but he isn't the anti-christ that some would think.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Easier said than done sometimes given the provocation he gets. . At least Barton admits he has a problem and I genuinely believe he has been trying to sort himself out. Aye, he was wrong , but he isn't the anti-christ that some would think.

Just don't feel he should be indulged in the hope that he will get through 90 minutes without doing someone some deliberate harm, theres other players safety to think about. I agree he seems to be trying to sort himself out but theres been quite a few episodes over quite a period of time. When is enough enough?

StevieC
15-11-2010, 05:31 PM
However, it is noticeable that Barton's outbursts tend to focus on those smaller and younger than him.

Which makes it strange that he should have had a go at the older and taller Pedersen? :rolleyes:

BryanV
15-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Roll your eyes all you like. The point is he is selective in his targets. Pederson and Barton are about the same height but I would reckon that Barton is heavier. When I said younger, as I am sure you are aware, I was referring to the teenagers that have been his main quarry up to this point..

Cropley10
15-11-2010, 05:46 PM

There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday.

David Walsh made the interesting point that on MOTD Lineker and Co laughed as they counted 7 heavy tackles in a recent EPL game. He didn't react to any of them.

Blackburn set out with exactly the same tactics the other night, taking it in turns to foul Barton.

Sure he shouldn't have reacted. But he's given up booze and is trying to change himself.

sesoim
15-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Joey Barton has a shocking temperament, but Pedersen is hardly a saint - he has blatently cheated a few times in the past, and I'm sure he has done things to wind people up before as well.

I wouldn't have defended Barton in the past, and he deserves no sympathy given what he has done in the past, but I'll bet there was stuff going on in this game beforehand, just like the Wolves game. Ref's need to to keep an out for this.

lapsedhibee
15-11-2010, 07:49 PM
It was more of a clenched slap of the right boob. :greengrin

Yes - a sort of completely closed, yet at the same time entirely open, fisted contact. It was more of a friendly tonguing than a punch. :agree:

StevieC
15-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes - a sort of completely closed, yet at the same time entirely open, fisted contact. It was more of a friendly tonguing than a punch. :agree:

I'm now embarrassingly aroused, and may never be able to look at Barton the same way again.

StevieC
15-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Roll your eyes all you like. The point is he is selective in his targets. Pederson and Barton are about the same height but I would reckon that Barton is heavier.

Sorry, I missed the official pre-match weigh in.

When I said younger, as I am sure you are aware, I was referring to the teenagers that have been his main quarry up to this point.

Quarry? That'll be the one he caught setting fire to his clothes, the one that ran up to him shouting abuse and then kicked him and the one that followed him down a street giving him abuse when he was out with friends and girlfriends. Quarry seems a strange choice of word for them.
To be honest, I would have probably reacted a lot worse in those situations when I was in my early 20's. Thankfully though most people wouldn't hold it against me .. especially now that I'm a bit older and wiser and, as you've pointed out with Barton, a bit "heavier". :wink:

BryanV
15-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I missed the official pre-match weigh in.

Quarry? That'll be the one he caught setting fire to his clothes, the one that ran up to him shouting abuse and then kicked him and the one that followed him down a street giving him abuse when he was out with friends and girlfriends. Quarry seems a strange choice of word for them.
To be honest, I would have probably reacted a lot worse in those situations when I was in my early 20's. Thankfully though most people wouldn't hold it against me .. especially now that I'm a bit older and wiser and, as you've pointed out with Barton, a bit "heavier". :wink:

My apologies, I did not realise that there was ample justification for all his actions, I was not there.

persevere1875
16-11-2010, 03:56 PM
He gave him a dig in the chest in the same sense that Zidane gently nuzzled that Italian bloke in the Worldcup final. Do you Toon guys watch the matches through barcodes? :confused:

Im not a Newcastle fan to be fair and I struggle to see a comparison between Zidane's headbutt and Barton's slap, as I said in my original post, the one you chose to quote only part of, had he smacked him in the mouth it would have been different. :wink:

lapsedhibee
16-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Im not a Newcastle fan to be fair and I struggle to see a comparison between Zidane's headbutt and Barton's slap, as I said in my original post, the one you chose to quote only part of, had he smacked him in the mouth it would have been different. :wink:

Think I've got the full picture now:

(1) Joey is a victim, not a perp.

(2) A "punch" is defined not by whether the thrower's fist is closed, but by whereabout it lands on the recipient's body.

:wink:

Tranent Hibby
16-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I long for the day when a player like Shades gets to prowl about and intimidate sap millionaires on the pitch. Cant see it happening and I am probably in the minority but if your gonna wind up the radge boys you take whats coming.