PDA

View Full Version : daily record get ian murray spot on

yekimevol
11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
And thankfully for Calderwood he could call upon the services of Hibs' proper skipper Ian Murray.

The midfielder came off the bench on Sunday and in the six minutes he was on the pitch he showed more f ight than the rest of his team-mates had for the previous 84.

At least Murray proved in that short spell he cared. That's what has been missing from this Hibs side for far too long and with Riordan predictably losing the rag against Hearts - Calderwood should give the former Rangers man the armband for keeps after he showed his pouting team-mate how its done last night.

The 29-year-old was inspirational in the middle of the park and is the club's only natural leader.

He sat in front of his back-four, dictated play and cajoled his troops around him.
Injury has curtailed the impact Murray has made since he returned to the club he supports from Ibrox back in 2007.

The likes of Chris Hogg and Riordan have been entrusted with the captaincy ahead of him. But one thing's for certain - if Hibs are to achieve anything under Calderwood his No.6 has to stay fit and remain as captain for the foreseeable future.

i think this is spot on and his performance last night proves that ian can still do his proper job of a holding midfielder and captain !!!
rest of article
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2010/11/11/colin-calderwood-s-new-laid-back-approach-helps-inspire-troops-to-shock-ibrox-win-86908-22708601/

PerthHibby
11-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Totally agree, Murray was imense last night and he seemed to bring out the best in Liam Miller who had his best game for months.

Part/Time Supporter
11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Pity about the wee factual error (forgetting his forgettable spell at Norwich), but the sentiment is more important and correct.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't think Murray has the legs to play left back anymore.

But he is perfect for that holding midfield role if thats the route CC wants to go down. You don't need to be fast to play in that position as long as you can read a game and have a decent footballing brain. Murray ticks both boxes. For someone with such a serious condition he still goes into every challenge 100%, he's not a great footballer but he can pick out a decent pass and he's absolutely superb at spoiling what other teams try to do.

A decent tactical decision by CC and a good performance by Murray that has seen us pick up an unlikely 3 points and hopefully kick start a push up the table.

MB62
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
A blind man, from Blindsville, sitting in his coal cellar with the lights out could see Ian Murray should have been our club/team captain, just another one of the many things our previous manager got wrong.

Murray is our leader and we have missed his presence on the park, if nothing else, to inspire a bit of enthusiasm into the rest of the players, but it sounds very much like his role last night freed up Liam Miller to be more positive.

From being at Dean Bridge jumping mode for so long, i am absolutely buzzing about last night, not just for the result but the fact that boys seemed to go out and at long last, fight for the cause.

Whilst we should now enjoy the next couple of days, we should also look forward with a bit more confidence for what will prove to be another massive game for us on Saturday, win there and we can start looking UP the table.

MORE OF THE SAME FIGHT AND PASSION WILL BE NEEDED anything less and it's back to square one.

GGTTH

bighairyfaeleith
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
said many times before that murray should have been playing the midfield role. I feel very smug right now:smug::greengrin

EVENTUALLY
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
And thankfully for Calderwood he could call upon the services of Hibs' proper skipper Ian Murray.

The midfielder came off the bench on Sunday and in the six minutes he was on the pitch he showed more f ight than the rest of his team-mates had for the previous 84.

At least Murray proved in that short spell he cared. That's what has been missing from this Hibs side for far too long and with Riordan predictably losing the rag against Hearts - Calderwood should give the former Rangers man the armband for keeps after he showed his pouting team-mate how its done last night.

The 29-year-old was inspirational in the middle of the park and is the club's only natural leader.

He sat in front of his back-four, dictated play and cajoled his troops around him.
Injury has curtailed the impact Murray has made since he returned to the club he supports from Ibrox back in 2007.

The likes of Chris Hogg and Riordan have been entrusted with the captaincy ahead of him. But one thing's for certain - if Hibs are to achieve anything under Calderwood his No.6 has to stay fit and remain as captain for the foreseeable future.

i think this is spot on and his performance last night proves that ian can still do his proper job of a holding midfielder and captain !!!
rest of article
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2010/11/11/colin-calderwood-s-new-laid-back-approach-helps-inspire-troops-to-shock-ibrox-win-86908-22708601/

Interesting that Derek Riordan is being hung out for his challenge on Skacel. I seem to remember Ian Murray halfing Aiden McGeedy in two in the last few minutes of a doing at Parkheed a couple of season ago. Murray is as capable of losing it as Deek is. FWIW I think Murray is a better appointment for the armband but I'd rather have Derek as captain than Hogg or McBride.

cockneymike
11-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Ian murray in centre midfield and as captain and you have feel like the team has a real core and strength about it.

Also as was said above, the fact that he's lost his pace doesn't matter in as holding midfielder; as he can sit, tackle, and make the insightful passes that we need.

Long may this continue.

Lots of us said that last season went downhill when McBride got injured, perhaps in actual fact it was when Murray's form went downhill?

Either way if CC can get Murray on form as the beating heart of our team, you know if nothing else we'll be scrapping till the end every week.

brog
11-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Does this mean the debate re the new Matty Jack is finally over? :wink:

cockneymike
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM

In my mind at least!

Pretty Boy
11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Whats Craig Rocastle up to these days?:greengrin

Leith_Hibee
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Derek who?!

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Interesting that Derek Riordan is being hung out for his challenge on Skacel. I seem to remember Ian Murray halfing Aiden McGeedy in two in the last few minutes of a doing at Parkheed a couple of season ago. Murray is as capable of losing it as Deek is. FWIW I think Murray is a better appointment for the armband but I'd rather have Derek as captain than Hogg or McBride.

:agree: And was sent off too. I dont remember Ian being lambasted for that?:confused:

Bad Martini
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Hmm. If in doubt, after a good win, why no - start a riot in an empty room by slagging oor ain team. FFS, leave that to the wedgies and old firm apologists.

Nae need for the sly digs at Calderwood's use of Riordan as captain or at Riordan for the ill-judged tackle.

I recall Murray doing stupid things before and having his share of cards...against the yams anaw.

Leave it there.

If Murray is fit and playing well, get him in the team. When Deeks' ban is up, get him in the team. You'll toil to find 2 who dont want Hibs to win as much as these 2.

Lets leave the infighting to other ********s who have nowt better to do...

ENDOF

Crazyhorse
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;2634165]I don't think Murray has the legs to play left back anymore.

But he is perfect for that holding midfield role if thats the route CC wants to go down.

He learnt alongside a Master of that position as well. I remember him as a young kid getting talked through games at ER by Sauzee.

essexhibee
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
What a hero the guy is :thumbsup:

Brads Laing
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
One Ian Murray, theres only one Ian Murray, one Ian Murray

snooky
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
....(From the Daily Record article) "At least Murray proved in that short spell he cared. That's what has been missing from this Hibs side for far too long and with Riordan predictably losing the rag against Hearts - Calderwood should give the former Rangers man the armband for keeps after he showed his pouting team-mate how its done last night."
-86908-22708601/[/URL]

They just can't help themselves, can they. :grr::grr::grr:

Keith_M
12-11-2010, 01:31 PM
They just can't help themselves, can they. :grr::grr::grr:

I noticed that anaw. The ex Rangers player, and Rangers Fan, Ian Murray. Could that be the reason they think he should be captain? They're not possibly just sucking up to their typical readers by any chance? :dunno:

jacomo
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM

I think Ian Murray is the best we have at playing the Ian Murray role.