PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Show of Ambition?

Cocaine&Caviar
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Does anyone else agree that Petrie's best and most realistic option of showing ambition for this season, exciting the fans, and aiding the team would be to sign Mr. Garry O'Connor?

He was only given a 6 month contract over the summer, so has two months left on his deal. So far this season, he has made only a handful of starts for Birmingham, and is currently on his second loan spell at Lower to Mid Table championship side Barnsley. From what I've seen on the Brum forums, with the likes of Zigic, Derbyshire, Jerome and even Phillips in the squad, and the one man up top method, theyre not too keen on keeping him, especially with their long term ambitions.

Its been well discussed that GOC has made his fortune in Russia and in the Prem, and whislt doing so I would be very surprised if any other Premiership club would be picking him up in January, with both his Fitness issues, and limited attacking effectiveness in that league. Of course he's got the option of elsewhere in the championship, but whos to say he wouldnt value a 18 month deal at Hibs, a club he values highly, both allowing himself to get back in the shop window with a consistent run of games, and helping us in the mean time.

I think we all agree that we need not only another route for goals, but also a decent target man. GOC fills in both of these roles, and would be a very effective SPL striker.

Perhaps a deal similar to what was offered to Riordan and Stokes at similar points in their careers, with ambition being shown by Petrie.

matty_f
10-11-2010, 05:30 PM
It would be great until we kept our promise to sell him if a bigger club came in for him, then we would moan our tits off about lack of ambition and that.

Future17
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd take O'Connor if the terms suited the club (i.e. pay per play til he proved his fitness over a longer term).

But to address your thread title, no I don't think signing O'Connor would be the ultimate show of ambition.

new malkyhib
10-11-2010, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Rhys89;2632733]Does anyone else agree that Petrie's best and most realistic option of showing ambition for this season, exciting the fans, and aiding the team would be to sign Mr. Garry O'Connor?

He sold him before a semi-final against our biggest rivals - what makes you think he would buy him to try and help the team now?:confused:

Betty Boop
10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Rhys89;2632733]Does anyone else agree that Petrie's best and most realistic option of showing ambition for this season, exciting the fans, and aiding the team would be to sign Mr. Garry O'Connor?

He sold him before a semi-final against our biggest rivals - what makes you think he would buy him to try and help the team now?:confused:

A strange decision to say the least ! :grr:

Jack
10-11-2010, 06:03 PM
If he wants to come back to Scotland I think we have a good chance. He knows what the options are up here and the implications of signing elsewhere.

I think however he’ll hawk himself about the English leagues first and maybe even abroad again to a more O’Connor friendly type country, Spain for example.

Ultimately I don't think it will reflect one way or another on Hibs ambitions.

Cocaine&Caviar
10-11-2010, 07:11 PM

He wouldnt have to buy him, he'll be available on a free.

ScottB
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
IF he's fit, sure.

But if he is fit, why would he be getting turfed out at Birmingham?

I'd be worried, don't want to end up paying out a sizable chunk of our budget to an injury prone player, as great as it would be to have him back.