PDA

View Full Version : Poisonous atmosphere

Seveno
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
It's all been said about the performance but I find it increasing hard to get any enjoyment out of a Derby match because of the poisonous atmosphere created by the opposition fans and fed by their players.

In all the years of attending matches of ER, I've experienced some horrible times when the drunken hordes have descended on us from Glasgow. Nothing compares though to the shear hatred poured out from the thugs dressed in Maroon. It goes way beyond any local rivalry and their behaviour with the flares and refusing to give the ball back adds to the despicable nature of the majority of their support on Sunday.

We have our own share of neds ( including our temporary Captain ) and I cannot condone the idiots that threw the coins and lighters. Nothing though comes anywhere near the vile lowlife that now represents Heart of Midlothian FC.

Moulin Yarns
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
The atmoshere of hate yesterday has prompted me to publicly declare that was the last derby I will attend.

Us auld yins remember the time when you could go along to a derby and stand beside your Hearts supporting mates and have a bit of good natured banter. Yes there was still a bit of trouble but not the hatred that is now common place.

Antifa Hibs
08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
LOL

The more poisinous, the better. :cool2:

It's a 90 minute hatred, I was at the Omni after the game, loads of Hibbys and Jambos walking round together and not a hint of trouble.

Pint in the Conan Doyle and it was mixed, moved down to Mathers then the Cask, again, mixed, no hint of bother. Had a pint with a random Jambo from Fife on my own for about half and hour yesterday.

Ritchie
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
lets be honest... we are both as bad as each other! :rolleyes:

deeks01
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
It's all been said about the performance but I find it increasing hard to get any enjoyment out of a Derby match because of the poisonous atmosphere created by the opposition fans and fed by their players.

In all the years of attending matches of ER, I've experienced some horrible times when the drunken hordes have descended on us from Glasgow. Nothing compares though to the shear hatred poured out from the thugs dressed in Maroon. It goes way beyond any local rivalry and their behaviour with the flares and refusing to give the ball back adds to the despicable nature of the majority of their support on Sunday.

We have our own share of neds ( including our temporary Captain ) and I cannot condone the idiots that threw the coins and lighters. Nothing though comes anywhere near the vile lowlife that now represents Heart of Midlothian FC.

its a derby fs , i LOVE that kind of aptmosphere and i do my best to help replicate it when we visit tynie. Some people like this kind of match mate so for god sake let us enjoy it , its rare enough these days. And Im not a thug or a ned and I don't agree with the throwing of coins/lighters.

As for the flare (which looked more like a green smokebomb till me) well... I'd personally love to see flares by hibs fans at an away derby but I doubt it'll happen. However I do understand that as stated on another thread asthma sufferers , myself included , may not cope particularly well with all the smoke... I just can't decide on this one its logic vs passion for my club. :confused:

Seveno
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM
its a derby fs , i LOVE that kind of aptmosphere and i do my best to help replicate it when we visit tynie. Some people like this kind of match mate so for god sake let us enjoy it , its rare enough these days. And Im not a thug or a ned and I don't agree with the throwing of coins/lighters.

As for the flare (which looked more like a green smokebomb till me) well... I'd personally love to see flares by hibs fans at an away derby but I doubt it'll happen. However I do understand that as stated on another thread asthma sufferers , myself included , may not cope particularly well with all the smoke... I just can't decide on this one its logic vs passion for my club. :confused:

Let me get this right .... you would love to see Hibs fans throwing flares at a football match, potentially endangering innocent spectators and players, and then incurring a substantial fine for our Club ?

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 01:54 PM

It's maybe an age thing, that wasn't fun yesterday it was downright unpleasant. However, my question is - how come all it takes is a three foot advertising hoarding to hold back our fans.

It was pathetic to watch them when they could easily have taken the Hearts end, instead they were all being restrained by Casper the Friendly Steward.

The way the supporters are behaving these days is akin to spitting in someone's face and running away. Pathetic, poisonous little cowards on both sides. If they really want to go radge they should, otherwise sit down and wave your little flags I say.

Big Frank
08-11-2010, 01:56 PM
It's maybe an age thing, that wasn't fun yesterday it was downright unpleasant. However, my question is - how come all it takes is a three foot advertising hoarding to hold back our fans.

It was pathetic to watch them when they could easily have taken the Hearts end, instead they were all being restrained by Casper the Friendly Steward.

The way the supporters are behaving these days is akin to spitting in someone's face and running away. Pathetic, poisonous little cowards on both sides. If they really want to go radge they should, otherwise sit down and wave your little flags I say.,

:top marks

Right! Thats enough FR:grr::grr: I'm agreeing with everything your posting just now:bitchy::bitchy:

LancashireHibby
08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Had a good chat with two young lads who were Hearts fans walking down London Road after the game and then went for a pint in Mather's which was absolutely rammed with Jambos who were happy enough to have a laugh - they said to me they don't want us to go down because of the derbies, and I said that's the same reason we don't want them to go bust; thankfully they took the joke in the right manner and had a good laugh about it :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I took my 7 year old for her first Hibs experience on Sunday. She told me afterwards that despite the result and performance she loved all the noise and the shouting and the stadium and the atmosphere and she's wanting to go back as soon as possible. Some of swearing and anger on show took her back a bit but as long as she sees it in the context of 'thats what daft men do at the football and not how you behave outside the stadium' (which is quite a simple concept when you think about it) i'll be taking her back again.

I think its easy to overstate how 'poisonous' the atmosphere really is:confused:

Pretty Boy
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I was in the pub last night and it was mainly Hertz fans. There was a lot of banter flying back and forth and a few songs and whatever. I would never say it was a hatred though. I think a previous poster is right, it's a 90 minute 'hatred; where we all become a wee bit primitive.

I'm sure most of us in our everyday life have workmates, family, mates etc who are yams or supporters of any other team for that matter. I certainly don't hate them but for 90 odd minutes on derby day it can feel like i do.

I would say that throwing things on the pitch whether it be coins, flares or whatever is just stupidity, more than anything else it's just going to cost Hibs a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Rory89
08-11-2010, 03:35 PM

We lost yesterday, it's not fun but accept it and move on, don't moan like a whiny bitch for **** sake.

deeks01
08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Let me get this right .... you would love to see Hibs fans throwing flares at a football match, potentially endangering innocent spectators and players, and then incurring a substantial fine for our Club ?

I said I couldn't decide :wink: , seriously though it happens all the time on the continent and theres very few injuries I would imagine or it wouldn't be done. Maybe its just me that likes to see this kind of thing but as I said with our support its not gonna happen anyway.

deeks01
08-11-2010, 03:44 PM

The way the supporters are behaving these days is akin to spitting in someone's face and running away. Pathetic, poisonous little cowards on both sides. If they really want to go radge they should, otherwise sit down and wave your little flags I say.

dunno why you've quoted me , I don't condone violence in any form I just enjoy the derby aptmosphere.

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
dunno why you've quoted me , I don't condone violence in any form I just enjoy the derby aptmosphere.

Sorry, it was out of order to suggest you did, and had nothing to do with what you wrote. I am just off on one today.

I would say though, that like some other people, the atmosphere is getting a bit uncomfortable to me. It'll sound like sour grapes, but I thought the sheer hatred coming at us from Hearts is enough to make me seriously wonder whether I want to be part of it.

I'm just getting old I suppose.

Hermit Crab
08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
There has been worse IMO for example the 4-4 game when there was seats coins and lighters thrown by both sets of fans in the corner where thier section N is i know because i was near there with my oldman and i got hit in the napper with a lighter after thier 4th went in. TBO the seats flying back and forth was very dangerous and just plain stupidity by both sets of fans.

Yesterdays game was for me just a typical derby atmosphere and the flares and smoke bombs have been let off in the Hearts end before they tend to do stupid things like that im glad they never aimed for the east or west stands as that could have caused mayhem leading to panic or serious injuries. How do you stop it though as flares and smoke bombs can be easily concealed when entering the ground.

Sir David Gray
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
My brother and his mate were walking up London Road after the game yesterday when two Hearts fans obviously noticed his green scarf and started on him. One of them kicked my brother in the ribs and then said that they would get the two of them round the corner in five minutes.

There was absolutely no provocation from either my brother or his mate (despite his mate being a mouthy git when he's had a few too many) and the only "crime" committed was that my brother had his Hibs scarf on.

I'm well aware that these people can be found in every support, including Hibs as we certainly have our fair share of unsavoury characters, but it's not nice to hear that a member of your own family is being assaulted.

California-Hibs
08-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I loved the atmosphere yesterday and i wouldnt have a derby any different! :agree:

frazeHFC
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Yesterdays game was for me just a typical derby atmosphere and the flares and smoke bombs have been let off in the Hearts end before they tend to do stupid things like that im glad they never aimed for the east or west stands as that could have caused mayhem leading to panic or serious injuries. How do you stop it though as flares and smoke bombs can be easily concealed when entering the ground.

That would have sparked absolute mayhem! And as much as i love a loud atmosphere, i felt yesterday was different as in the rivalry did not feel football related, it was more just raw hatred and the players were bang out of order and lacked professionalism.

Riordan's tackle, other Hibs players losing their cool towads the end and hacking.

But the Hearts players were on a different level in terms of twatness. Kyle made a gesture to a Hibee in the FF, and kicked the ball at the East stand fans. Skacel made a gesture to the Hibs fans (i wish Deeks had broke both his legs) and worst of all. Zaliukus made a very rude gesture (W****r sign) to fans in the FF, a family stand, and then today my 7 year old brother did it, and when my mum questioned where he had got that from, he simply said "Zaliukus did it". Totally unproffesional especially to a stand filled with youngsters.

Hopefully we soon get our own back on those ratty, vile, inhumane creatures known as the Yams.

Hermit Crab
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Hopefully we soon get our own back on those ratty, vile, inhumane creatures known as the Yams.[/QUOTE]

Not this season anyway, we will be lucky to get away a low defeat an Tynecastle on the 1st Jan.

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
That would have sparked absolute mayhem! And as much as i love a loud atmosphere, i felt yesterday was different as in the rivalry did not feel football related, it was more just raw hatred and the players were bang out of order and lacked professionalism.

Riordan's tackle, other Hibs players losing their cool towads the end and hacking.

But the Hearts players were on a different level in terms of twatness. Kyle made a gesture to a Hibee in the FF, and kicked the ball at the East stand fans. Skacel made a gesture to the Hibs fans (i wish Deeks had broke both his legs) and worst of all. Zaliukus made a very rude gesture (W****r sign) to fans in the FF, a family stand, and then today my 7 year old brother did it, and when my mum questioned where he had got that from, he simply said "Zaliukus did it". Totally unproffesional especially to a stand filled with youngsters.

Hopefully we soon get our own back on those ratty, vile, inhumane creatures known as the Yams.

I actually thought the FF fans were as much to blame. I saw them giving a couple of players abuse, yet the classic "mammy daddy polis" when the player slagged them back.

For example, some guy called Kyle an ugly b whilst he was getting his head wound treated. Kyle turns back and laughs, as much as to say "look who's talking", cue angry fans gesticulating. They didn't set much example to their kids either.

On a broader note, I would question how much of a family stand the FF is these days. There seem to be a lot of unaccompanied teenagers wandering about, not to mention a couple of "adults" who seem to behave as if they own the place.

timebomb
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I'll be first to condone certain behaviour by the Hearts fans/the Union Jack brigade - all teams have an element and anyone who denies it is blinkered but re the Zal incident. The ball went out into the crowd and he walked back onto the pitch when the guy deliberately threw the ball at the back of his head - if it had been me I'd probably have reacted likewise.

Now if that guy is in the family stand behaving like that (presumably with kids there) then thats hardly an example to be showing them on how to behave. It's the usual supporter behaviour though like when Neil Lennon got dogs abuse off Dundde fans (I think) and he gave them a fingered jesture and all these people suddently took the moral highground and were shocked and complained to the police. If you are going to dish out abuse at the players then I think you should be able to take it back (like Rirodan at Tynecastle when he scored the penalty - he recieved abuse for 90 minutes and responded in the best manner possible for you guys).

That siad, the 22 (or 21 come the end:greengrin) players on the park should be able to go about their business on the park without moronic behaviour of fans endangering them.

frazeHFC
08-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, people in the FF giving those gestures should not have done it in the first place, defeats the purpose of a family stand. However, i still feel the behavior of the players was unacceptable.

Never mind Hibs and Hearts fans, the Celtic fans anti-poppy banners are worse imo

timebomb
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah, people in the FF giving those gestures should not have done it in the first place, defeats the purpose of a family stand. However, i still feel the behavior of the players was unacceptable.

Never mind Hibs and Hearts fans, the Celtic fans anti-poppy banners are worse imo

I agree Zal was daft and unacceptable and as captain he should know better and I hope Jeffereis fiins him for it but your 100% right re Celtic.

The only thing more embarrassing than their banner was the attempt at spelling of bloodstained

big-mo
08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Should the jambo **** be sent a bill for the tens of thousands of damage their fans did to the South Stand yesterday or is that all just part of the game? Would we end up getting a bill for any damage our fans do at away ground?

Hermit Crab
08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
The famous 5 stand is a waste of space nearly empty every game, well the lower tier is anyway its an embarrassment at times.

Also what happened to this 12th man singing section pash aswell?? Never heard much singing from our end at all as usual apart from maybe the first 15min. That has died a death too.

Liamcee1994
08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
My brother and his mate were walking up London Road after the game yesterday when two Hearts fans obviously noticed his green scarf and started on him. One of them kicked my brother in the ribs and then said that they would get the two of them round the corner in five minutes.

I got started on one calling me a fen**n b*****d for just walking up(bearing in mind im 16 years old:confused:)

CB_NO3
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I cant believe the sad people on this thread. Not going back because of 10 people throwing coins and two people throwing smokebombs at a football game. Why I dont agree with throwing coins etc, its always going to happen at a derby so deal with it. You should try attending a derby in Turkey, Milan or Argentina then you will see real trouble. That was nothing yesterday.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
noticed the Hearts Teeny Keyboard Casuals down the front getting all Leeds United when flare went off.

Wester Hailes Fannies

Hibernia Na Eir
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I got started on one calling me a fen**n b*****d for just walking up(bearing in mind im 16 years old:confused:)

dont you know they're up to their knees in Fenian blood? !!

must be messy

.Sean.
08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I loved the atmosphere yesterday and i wouldnt have a derby any different! :agree:
:agree:

Myself and a mate walked passed Middletons around quarter to twelve and there were a fair number of them standing outside. Being Hearts fans, they never bothered giving us any verbals until we were halfway down the road. We were clearly recognisable as Hibs too, as we both had on green zippies. A couple wee laddies clad in Hibs regalia, definately no more than ten years old, also came in for abuse from them. A lovely lot, eh?

Also, I was standing with my dad waiting for the bus back, and a Jambo walked passed giving it the big man, he was pissed and waving a union flag around. I cannae remember what remark he made to my dad but he didn't take too kindly to it. Cue Hearts fan *****ing it and actually apologising to my auld man... :tee hee:

Days like yesterday simply re-affirms my hatred for that lot. A shower of cowardly bawbags.

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I cant believe the sad people on this thread. Not going back because of 10 people throwing coins and two people throwing smokebombs at a football game. Why I dont agree with throwing coins etc, its always going to happen at a derby so deal with it. You should try attending a derby in Turkey, Milan or Argentina then you will see real trouble. That was nothing yesterday.

I remember a Scottish Cup tie in 1979, which we won. Jim MacArthur, our goalie went home with about £40 in loose change and enough hardware to put B&Q out of business. There was 40+ arrests, and the Hearts fans had a massive pagger amongst themselves.

I don't think there was the same level of hatred in the ground that day as there was yesterday. I hear what you are saying about Turkey, but I don't live in Turkey and I don't want to.

You make a point about dealing with what happens at the game. I don't want to have to deal with being called "sc*m", but I acknowledge that is my problem and not that of people who are OK about it.

So, the answer is not to go back to derbies. That shows respect for others who can cope with it, whilst at the same time doing what is right for me.

I would also add, I saw no hatred outside the ground. Presumably because there wasn't stewards, advertising hoardings and polis to protect anyone acting wide.

Brizo
08-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I would also add, I saw no hatred outside the ground. Presumably because there wasn't stewards, advertising hoardings and polis to protect anyone acting wide.

We live in the era of the pantomime fitba wideo. Too much exposure to Danny Dyer programmes and hoolie porn has produced an element on both sides who like to act up while knowing full well theres little chance of them getting involved in any real trouble. How they would have fared in the pre segregated 70s or casual 80s .....

If the current atmospheres poisonous I think it pantomime poisonous. The plums among both supports can pretend like theyre extras in Green Street and then get home safely , thanks to L & B and CCTV , in plenty time for the X factor results.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Do Hibs sell a category B season ticket?

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

We live in the era of the pantomime fitba wideo. Too much exposure to Danny Dyer programmes and hoolie porn has produced an element on both sides who like to act up while knowing full well theres little chance of them getting involved in any real trouble. How they would have fared in the pre segregated 70s or casual 80s .....

If the current atmospheres poisonous I think it pantomime poisonous. The plums among both supports can pretend like theyre extras in Green Street and then get home safely , thanks to L & B and CCTV , in plenty time for the X factor results.

ecosse
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Myself and a mate walked passed Middletons around quarter to twelve and there were a fair number of them standing outside. Being Hearts fans, they never bothered giving us any verbals until we were halfway down the road. We were clearly recognisable as Hibs too, as we both had on green zippies. A couple wee laddies clad in Hibs regalia, definately no more than ten years old, also came in for abuse from them. A lovely lot, eh?

Also, I was standing with my dad waiting for the bus back, and a Jambo walked passed giving it the big man, he was pissed and waving a union flag around. I cannae remember what remark he made to my dad but he didn't take too kindly to it. Cue Hearts fan *****ing it and actually apologising to my auld man... :tee hee:

Days like yesterday simply re-affirms my hatred for that lot. A shower of cowardly bawbags.

unfortunately a few hibs guys did get some abuse from the guys outside middletons but as far as i know nothing major(unless you were the guy putting windows in the house opposite who laughed at it)

hibsfootsoldier
08-11-2010, 09:23 PM
noticed the Hearts Teeny Keyboard Casuals down the front getting all Leeds United when flare went off.

Wester Hailes Fannies

marinello59
08-11-2010, 09:25 PM

clerriehibs
08-11-2010, 09:35 PM
The atmoshere of hate yesterday has prompted me to publicly declare that was the last derby I will attend.

Us auld yins remember the time when you could go along to a derby and stand beside your Hearts supporting mates and have a bit of good natured banter. Yes there was still a bit of trouble but not the hatred that is now common place.

I blame the internet chat rooms & forums ... none of them foster good relations. Before t'web, you'd get a bit of an atmosphere a few days beforehand, during and after ... but the rest of the time it was relatively mild banter. Now it just simmers away constantly, creating tremendous bad-feeling ...

Diclonius
08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll be first to condone certain behaviour by the Hearts fans/the Union Jack brigade - all teams have an element and anyone who denies it is blinkered but re the Zal incident. The ball went out into the crowd and he walked back onto the pitch when the guy deliberately threw the ball at the back of his head - if it had been me I'd probably have reacted likewise.

Correct. Very slowly, and in a loop. It barely hit him.

Not that I'm condoning our fans' actions, but contrast this to some of your guys absolutely hurtling a ball full pelt at van Zanten at Tynecastle a couple seasons ago.

His reaction? Walk away.

On a more balanced note, a couple people in the West Lower were giving Kyle stick so he merely made a "2-0" sign at them. Fair enough, really.

lucky
08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I did not fined it that bad. Yes there were a few on either side getting excited but I have seen a lot worse when we play them at the PBS. At least there was an atmosphere cos I can guarantee Saturday will be like a morgue.

CB_NO3
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I remember a Scottish Cup tie in 1979, which we won. Jim MacArthur, our goalie went home with about £40 in loose change and enough hardware to put B&Q out of business. There was 40+ arrests, and the Hearts fans had a massive pagger amongst themselves.

I don't think there was the same level of hatred in the ground that day as there was yesterday. I hear what you are saying about Turkey, but I don't live in Turkey and I don't want to.

You make a point about dealing with what happens at the game. I don't want to have to deal with being called "sc*m", but I acknowledge that is my problem and not that of people who are OK about it.

So, the answer is not to go back to derbies. That shows respect for others who can cope with it, whilst at the same time doing what is right for me.

Why are you taking 4000 fans shouting **** at the Hibs fans personally. I would hate to see your reaction if someone was giving you abuse personally. I had mates that were in the Hearts end and they would probably be singing that song, but I doubt ill take it to my wee heart and I doubt they actually mean it. The derby is the only decent day out in Scottish football these days and you are going to miss that because of big bad Hearts fans calling you ****.

son of haggart
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Correct. Very slowly, and in a loop. It barely hit him.

Not that I'm condoning our fans' actions, but contrast this to some of your guys absolutely hurtling a ball full pelt at van Zanten at Tynecastle a couple seasons ago.

His reaction? Walk away.

On a more balanced note, a couple people in the West Lower were giving Kyle stick so he merely made a "2-0" sign at them. Fair enough, really.

Agreed - kyle seemed to have a pretty mature attitude to it all, like Van Zanten as you say. There are some player swho can take it and some who are not grown up enough. Unfortunately there is an element in each support who just lap it up and both teams will suffer fianncially as a result

I think the managers responded pretty well too.

The saddest thing is we've given the Glasgow media it gift wrapped - the edinburgh derby is where the problems are and they can forget about their own rancid ******ing mess for a bit.

Nakedmanoncrack
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Why are you taking 4000 fans shouting **** at the Hibs fans personally. I would hate to see your reaction if someone was giving you abuse personally. I had mates that were in the Hearts end and they would probably be singing that song, but I doubt ill take it to my wee heart and I doubt they actually mean it. The derby is the only decent day out in Scottish football these days and you are going to miss that because of big bad Hearts fans calling you ****.

It's only because football has become so sanitised and devoid of atmosphere that yesterday could seem 'poisonous', pitch invasions, bottles flying, mass brawls (often Hearts amonsgt themselves) used to be the norm, yesterday was tame in contrast.

Broken Gnome
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
It was 'poisonous' because we got gubbed. A lot of the incidents weren't great obviously, but i don't think they'd have quite the same negative effect on people had it been a competitive draw for instance. Put it in the context of a horrible game and a pathetic performance and yeah, it was a deeply unpleasant afternoon. I know people get their kicks off the 'danny dyer pantomime' as it was called earlier, but you can't really say it was enjoyable as the whole day was bloody terrible. Hearts turned us over, the team were rotten, then the last five minutes only made things worse. Hibs, players and fans, just came out of the day looking a bit pathetic really. That said, i think Hearts got exactly they wanted in certain situations. Coins and all. Added to the overall smuggery for them, and in turn makes it all a bit harder to take.

Phil D. Rolls
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Can you not just respect the fact that we all feel differently about things, instead of insisting your point of view is right.

I'm not asking for the derby to be cancelled, or for bans to be put in place, I'm saying it isn't for me.

By the way don't lecture me about how to react to personal abuse or you might just end up feeling a bit of a tt.

TrickyNicky
09-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Good post!

Many of these fans don't even like a pagger or football, yet attend religiously to keep a glory box of revered stories to tell anyone who may want indulge in human contact with them.

The stories get bigger and so does the kudos.

I think those with such inclination should jump the fence at half-time and be allowed to partake in a face to face dance-off akin to Michael Jackson's - " Beat It " video clip, where shell suit jacket wearing Hall and Oates lookalikes indulge in their homoerotic fantasy of attending a Hibs / Hertz derby, then go back to their trailers, take off their make-up and phone their talent agents to see when their next big break is coming along.
Call 1800MoahnThenRadge

flash
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM

Interesting post. Do you think it's understandable that guys with young kids might think twice before exposing them to that "Special" Derby atmosphere?

Dashing Bob S
09-11-2010, 12:08 PM

What a wonderful post. It sums up the performative element of it all. While the 90 minute hatred doesn't bother me personally, I worry that it isn't particularly setting a great example for kids.

To take the Mercer song as an example. We have good reasons to dislike the man who tried to destroy our club. Yet expressing that dislike in a song celebrating someones death makes it inevitable that when the next Hibs legend passes away, Hearts fans will start some kind of tit for tat song celebrating their demise. They will choose not to engage with what Mercer done, just see that they have a right to disrespect someone from the Hibs family in a similar way.

And so it goes on.

While there was much more real and consequential violence between the hooligan elements and excited young fans in the 70s 80s and 90s, I'd say that antipathy, contempt, hostility and suspicion are greater amongst rank and file supporters than ever. And I blame Mercer for a large part of that poisonous legacy.

CB_NO3
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Can you not just respect the fact that we all feel differently about things, instead of insisting your point of view is right.

I'm not asking for the derby to be cancelled, or for bans to be put in place, I'm saying it isn't for me.

By the way don't lecture me about how to react to personal abuse or you might just end up feeling a bit of a tt.
Am hardly lecturing you. I just think your excuse is poor but as you say, its your choice. And I am defo not saying my point is right but imagine everyone decided to follow your route and no Hibs fans at all went to a derby anymore because they got called **** by someone the dont even know, then we would be the laughing stock of football and we would miss out on the chance to have the greatest feeling ever, which is a derby win.

CB_NO3
09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Interesting post. Do you think it's understandable that guys with young kids might think twice before exposing them to that "Special" Derby atmosphere?
It may or may not, thats not my call, but I think most kids these days only look forward to Derby days or Old Firm games, its the only games when the atmosphere is a little hostile. Kids watch footy on the TV all the time these days and they see the atmosphere in the continent and can only hope they could go to a game like that. They watch pigs heads getting thrown at Figo, they watch Inter Milan fans throwing flares at the Milan goalie, they watch Italian fans fighting nearly every week so I doubt watching a few guys throwing coins once a season is hardly going to scar them for life.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
It may or may not, thats not my call, but I think most kids these days only look forward to Derby days or Old Firm games, its the only games when the atmosphere is a little hostile. Kids watch footy on the TV all the time these days and they see the atmosphere in the continent and can only hope they could go to a game like that. They watch pigs heads getting thrown at Figo, they watch Inter Milan fans throwing flares at the Milan goalie, they watch Italian fans fighting nearly every week so I doubt watching a few guys throwing coins once a season is hardly going to scar them for life.

My laddy must lead a sheltered life, I can't recall him going on about any of that and he watches far more football than is sensible. Do you have kids?

CB_NO3
09-11-2010, 12:50 PM
My laddy must lead a sheltered life, I can't recall him going on about any of that and he watches far more football than is sensible. Do you have kids?
He obviously does not watch much football because I am talking about the Milan Derby and the El Classico, the two biggest games on earth. I dont have kids but I have younger brothers. My point is every game in Italy has a flare or air bomb going off, pretty much the same everywere in the continent, am not saying that its right but it does so I doubt watching 10 Hibs fans throwing coins is enough for them to stop going back to the football.

marinello59
09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
He obviously does not watch much football because I am talking about the Milan Derby and the El Classico, the two biggest games on earth. I dont have kids but I have younger brothers. My point is every game in Italy has a flare or air bomb going off, pretty much the same everywere in the continent, am not saying that its right but it does so I doubt watching 10 Hibs fans throwing coins is enough for them to stop going back to the football.

I am more worried that he expects me to carry a pigs head about with me. His Mum can stick it in her handbag.:greengrin

CB_NO3
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
I am more worried that he expects me to carry a pigs head about with me. His Mum can stick it in her handbag.:greengrin
You would be surprised what a woman can get in her handbag.:agree:

Hainan Hibs
09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Poisonous atmosphere :faf: :faf: :faf: The Edinburgh Derby is total mickey mouse material.

I'm_cabbaged
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Agreed - kyle seemed to have a pretty mature attitude to it all, like Van Zanten as you say. There are some player swho can take it and some who are not grown up enough. Unfortunately there is an element in each support who just lap it up and both teams will suffer fianncially as a result

I think the managers responded pretty well too.

The saddest thing is we've given the Glasgow media it gift wrapped - the edinburgh derby is where the problems are and they can forget about their own rancid ******ing mess for a bit.

Before I start I'm not condoning coin throwing in any way or form, but your take on Kyle is way off. After missing that header when it was offside he gave the middle finger to last section of the East, then after getting abuse he gave the come ahead sign. This was before he was pelted with any coins, not saying it's right but when you do that to empty heads that've had a few too many shandies and passions are running high it's not very surprising.
It's not right, but Kyle isn't as inocent and mature as you believe.

Moulin Yarns
09-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Hopefully the morons that threw missiles on the pitch and caused damage to seats can be identified by the seats they were occupying, taken to court, thrown in jail (together) for a long time, and leave watching football matches in safety and cheering our teams (rather than slagging the opposition) to us sensible ones.

weecounty hibby
09-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Poisenous atmosphere, don't think so. I took my six year old son to his first derby on Sunday after he had pestered me all week as we don't go much these days, and he had a great time, even though we got beat. We got on the Alloa Hibs bus, something he enjoys a great deal. Walk to the ticket office to collect our tickets talked about Hibs, bought him another scarf. Got into The Four in Hand where a large skinheaded Londoner gave him a seat at the bar which he was delighted with, songs being sung and he was loving it. Into ER and into our seats row P seats 19 and 20 in the east. Sang SoL and GGTTH together. Had pizza and Ribena. Disapointed about the result but we both had a good day as it was dad and son doing stuff together.

Apart from a small section of the east and obviously the Hearts fans with the smoke bombs and the smashing of seats I thought it wasn't that bad an atmosphere.

Another poster talks about the SC 1/4 final at ER in 79. That was much worse IMO. I remember as a ten year old watching as the Jambos fought amongst themselves and then when the police went to stop it fighting them as well. I remember a police hat being thrown about the terracing. I have been to a lot of derbys where it's felt worse than Sunday

Phil D. Rolls
10-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Am hardly lecturing you. I just think your excuse is poor but as you say, its your choice. And I am defo not saying my point is right but imagine everyone decided to follow your route and no Hibs fans at all went to a derby anymore because they got called **** by someone the dont even know, then we would be the laughing stock of football and we would miss out on the chance to have the greatest feeling ever, which is a derby win.

I don't know how civilisation would survive. There's always drugs I suppose. :greengrin

SaudiHibby
10-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Some people watch football and some watch the crowd. Mind you if the fare on the pitch is schect all you can do is watch the crowd. It's just as well there was a wee bit of excitement off it or my eyes would have bled.:yawn:

Seveno
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Having read some of the response to my original post, it seems that a good deal of people can't seem to distinguish between passion and foul-mouthed abouse, aggression and pure hatred.

Personally, I like to see a good game of football, enjoy supporting my team and have a good-natured laugh at our opponents. Fills the day for me.

Hillsidehibby
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Just watched Danny Dyer's Football Factories. Fenerbache v Galatasary.

Now thats what you call poisonous.