PDA

View Full Version : CC Tells Squad to 'Grow Up and be a Man'

ScottB
08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Hibernian manager Colin Calderwood was disappointed that his side even failed to test Hearts' goalkeeper when they were 2-0 behind in the Edinburgh derby.

"It is definitely a mentality thing, because you can see them being a little bit tight on occasions," the recently appointed boss told BBC Scotland.

"But it is time to grow and be a man and be a group.
"The disappointing thing is, from 2-0, we don't really test their goalkeeper again and that has got to change."

Calderwood's side sit second bottom of the Scottish Premier League after he suffered his third straight defeat since taking over from John Hughes.

"It is hugely disappointing," he said. "The first goal is an influence, of course, but we make recurring mistakes and those mistakes have been very, very costly to us.

"The patches when we were okay in the game were not long enough and the periods that the opposition have the upper hand in, we have got to cope with them better.

"There are lots of things we have to work on and that's what we have to do."

Calderwood acknowledged the brilliance of David Templeton's goal, which broke the deadlock after 19 minutes.
"We were having a period of the game which was better and the first half was just a contest that was going to get tipped by a moment of brilliance or some sort of mistake and it is probably a combination of both that has given Hearts the first goal," said the Hibs boss.

"Terrific run, but I think we can deal with it a lot better."

Hibs improved immediately after the break but fell further behind to Stephen Elliott's close-range finish after 67 minutes.

"It was the thing that took the wind out of our sails a little bit, because we were on the front foot," said Calderwood, who did not think his side lacked battling qualities.

"It looked like it deflated us and that is a big problem."

Calderwood said he had to solve the problems with his present squad and was not able to wait until he was able to bring in his own targets in the January transfer window.

"We've got to do it now and that is a challenge for us all to find a feeling - something within the team that might not be the most beautiful-looking thing but gives us something at the end of the game," he said.

Derek Riordan had been made captain, but the forward was sent off in the dying seconds for a reckless challenge on Rudi Skacel.

However, Calderwood did not dwell on that piece of frustration and indiscipline.

"We said before the game that we wanted to finish with 11, as that gives you a greater chance of getting something out of the game, and we didn't do that," he added.

Have to agree with all that, good to hear something better than 'the boys done me proud.'

Baader
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Needs to watch his words - telling some of this sorry bunch to "be a man" could likely be misconstured as an invitation to go to the pub more often...

:grr:

Aldo
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
He the boss ENDOF and if the players dont like it well they can f off and find another club.

CC was and is right to criticise them. None of this namby pamby gold dust pish spouted by our previous manager.

I for one think CC will come good once the gets players in he can trust to do a job.

The players should hang their heads in shame and i for one only want players who will give their all once that jersey is on and they cross that white line onto the pitch. Too many players trying to hide. We need leaders and players who will stand up and be counted.

hibeesjoe
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Just watched the highlights on sky and heard cc getting asked if he needs to make big changes to the team. After a couple of seconds he said no. Not sure if sky have edited the interview and he maybe went into more detail but a bit worrying if he really believes that. The team is lacking a lot of quality but hopefully he will turn it around.

ScottB
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Just watched the highlights on sky and heard cc getting asked if he needs to make big changes to the team. After a couple of seconds he said no. Not sure if sky have edited the interview and he maybe went into more detail but a bit worrying if he really believes that. The team is lacking a lot of quality but hopefully he will turn it around.

Well it wouldn't help motivating this bunch if he publicly stated they are all getting binned I suppose.

We'll know come January I would think, as I would imagine if we are keeping any of them they'd be signed to new contracts by then.

Saorsa
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
He the boss ENDOF and if the players dont like it well they can f off and find another club.

CC was and is right to criticise them. None of this namby pamby gold dust pish spouted by our previous manager.

I for one think CC will come good once the gets players in he can trust to do a job.

The players should hang their heads in shame and i for one only want players who will give their all once that jersey is on and they cross that white line onto the pitch. Too many players trying to hide. We need leaders and players who will stand up and be counted.Be better if most of them did that anyway. Bottle merchants and pansies and just plain garbage