PDA

View Full Version : is it time to play the young guys?

Dr Jimmy
08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
What are the thoughts on giving a few a run ahead of the current charlatens?
Would Stephens, Byrne, Currie etc give us something better than we currently have?
At least we may connect with a few of them.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Why not, surely can't be as bad as the trash we have to put up with at the moment, bring them on I say

truehibernian
08-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Lee Currie could at least deliver a set piece into the box without hitting the wall or row Z.

Argued it last season, we should have been blooding them well before now. The one's who can make a difference are out on loan, or injured.

Broken Gnome
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
A relegation battle might not be the best introduction for them...

Houchy
08-11-2010, 10:48 AM
At least they'd fight for the jersey. I'd make all these saps that call themselves "the current team" sit in the stands and watch what "fighting FOR each other" rather than "WITH each other" really means.

Dr Jimmy
08-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I am not too clued up on the youngsters we have, so someone with a better knowledge should step in, but surely they must be able to offer more than some of the journeymen we currently employ. They would also help the fans associate more with the team, as I feel (just me and my mates anyway) we are drifting away (not literally) from the current players and feel no connection other than frustration and that is not healthy for the club/team.

truehibernian
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Sean Welsh sadly is injured however would easily replace an out of form Miller if fit.

Lee Currie can play in the left mid position, and failing that I would also consider left back. Has dig, bite and a cracking shot.

Kurtis Byrne is a tad arrogant, but I like that. Has not had a real chance, out on loan, may come back stronger for it and hungry to succeed.

Calum Booth for me is the starlet we need to bring back pronto.

Other than that, have to say, none really would get in. Stephens clearly is good enough.

We also have a young striker Danny Handling, only 16, but hey if needs must (and they must) maybe worth doing a "Rooney" and putting him on the bench for two games. You just never know in football.

Kevvy1875
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Would Stephens, Byrne, Currie etc give us something better than we currently have?

Why not? Be aswell to give them a shot.

I would like to see them brought in to play in the wide areas where we could do with some much needed pace and enthuisasm. If CC could build an experienced spine up the middle of the park then we would be ok for this season with a view to making the required signing come the end of the season to push on.

The Tubs
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
If they performed decently and managed to keep us above 12th, it would hopefully bring at least one positive from the season.

I also imagine that the crowd would show a little more patience.

PISTOL1875
08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
The first thing I would do is get Ian Murray in along with Paul Hanlon.. Sol Bamba is NOT the answer at the back.. He was a bomescare again yesterday..

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure this is the best time to blood youngsters. The pressure on the players is about to get cranked up by the fans, and it may affect the youngsters' confidence.

Kaiser1962
08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure this is the best time to blood youngsters. The pressure on the players is about to get cranked up by the fans, and it may affect the youngsters' confidence.

In the current atmosphere they would be chewed up and spat out. Any misplaced pass and they would be hounded the whole game.

Dunbar Hibee
08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Sean Welsh sadly is injured however would easily replace an out of form Miller if fit.

Lee Currie can play in the left mid position, and failing that I would also consider left back. Has dig, bite and a cracking shot.

Kurtis Byrne is a tad arrogant, but I like that. Has not had a real chance, out on loan, may come back stronger for it and hungry to succeed.

Other than that, have to say, none really would get in. Stephens clearly is good enough.

We also have a young striker Danny Handling, only 16, but hey if needs must (and they must) maybe worth doing a "Rooney" and putting him on the bench for two games. You just never know in football.

Yep, Daniel is a quality young player but not ready yet IMO couple years time he will do wonders.

killie-hibby
08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes. From wednesday fill the team with youngsters. The results will be no worse.
Commitment and pride in the jersey will escalate.
Come January, dump as many of the first team squad as possible. Then bring in 3 or 4 hardened professionals.

ahibby
08-11-2010, 04:08 PM
In my view Hanlon, Galbraith and Wotherspoon are young guys, anymore than three in the pool and we are in big trouble. No the experienced players are getting us in this mess and they have to get us out. I am sure Rangers will try and out do their neighbours emphatic win and only experienced players have any chance of stopping that. Our youngsters would be destroyed totally at Ibrox and that wouldn't do them any good. Imagine two sets of players feeling inadequate, it's bad enough having one set feeling that way.

PeeJay
08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Putting young guys intro the team is not per se a bad thing, I was as surprised as anyone after the young lads won the double, yet hardly anyone showed up in the 1st team squad - they should have been coming through one after the other surely? Pace, freshness, ambition and the will to try things out on a big stage would be a great boost for the young guys and our team - they can hardly do any worse than the experienced professionals, after all
Still we need someone at the helm who can help them to move into the first team: they need someone who explains exactly what is to be done on the park - someone who can organise the team and set it up tactically: do we have that? How debilitating would it be for young guys to be blamed for things going wrong at ER?

col02
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
We will at best be bottom six this season so why not blood some of the young players? If they fail then they will not have been good enough anyway and quite frankly can they really be any worse than the underachieving players who play week in week out at the moment? Sink or swim time come January for a lot of our so called better young players imho.

Phil D. Rolls
08-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes. From wednesday fill the team with youngsters. The results will be no worse.
Commitment and pride in the jersey will escalate.
Come January, dump as many of the first team squad as possible. Then bring in 3 or 4 hardened professionals.

I'd go with that, give the lads a couple of months and then rest them again.

I'd empty the wasters now - offer them half their wages to go, with a little encouragement in telling them they'll be playing training with the reserves till their contract runs out.

In January, get in seasoned pros.

Wotherspiniesta
08-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll await Albion Hibs' words of wisdom before giving my input.

Jim44
08-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I think it would be suicidal to cram the team with young players right now. With all due respect, I think the mountain in front of us is too much to put on their shoulders. Calderwoods's aim at this stage should be to keep us from becoming isolated at the bottom of the league, as there is no way we can even begin to climb to safety with the nightmare of a squad he has to work with. He must take a really careful look at the rubbish he is going to bin in January and our success or lack of it in dragging us out of danger, will depend on the quality of 'cheap' players he can beg steal or borrow, aided by a sensible introduction of the best of our youngsters.

Spike Mandela
09-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Aberdeen played a few youngsters against Celtic. Say no more.

BSEJVT
09-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I think it would be suicidal to cram the team with young players right now. With all due respect, I think the mountain in front of us is too much to put on their shoulders. Calderwoods's aim at this stage should be to keep us from becoming isolated at the bottom of the league, as there is no way we can even begin to climb to safety with the nightmare of a squad he has to work with. He must take a really careful look at the rubbish he is going to bin in January and our success or lack of it in dragging us out of danger, will depend on the quality of 'cheap' players he can beg steal or borrow, aided by a sensible introduction of the best of our youngsters.

I agree 100%

Vini1875
09-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes I think they should be pitched come January along with a few signings of experienced or at least hungry players. Not much CC can do at the minute other than get those in the squad drilled. He has to find a way to sort out the midfield. We need a ball winner and some drive. To me that seems like IM.

Franck is God
09-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Realistically the players that were ready for first team football from the double winning under 19 side have already been introduced, those being Hanlon & Wotherspoon.

I would like to see what Currie and Welsh have to offer in centre mid but Welsh has been inured and for me is easily the better of the two. Although saying that I would pick Currie over Rankin every time.

Booth can't be far away from being ready and is playing first team football right now, I wonder if Yogi brought in Grounds to cover us at LB until he assessed how Booth did while on loan.

Kurtis Byrne did have a good goal scoring record at under 19 level but it is a massive step to the first team from there so again his loan period was the right thing to do as a place on the bench and occasional run out was all he was likely to get here. Remember at the time he left on loan we had Stokes, Riordan & Nish with Duffy on the way so he would have been 5th choice.

I also agree with a few posters already, they may be buersting to get on the pitch but its generally not a good idea to introduce youngsters when the pressure is on as it is right now, certainly not all at the same time anyway.

scoopyboy
09-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't fill my team with youngsters but another couple being given a chance would not be a bad thing IMO.

Lee Currie has a sweet left peg and can play a bit, I wouldn't regard him as a gamble in the slightest as again IMO is better than either Rankin or Stevenson. He carries a goal threat that neither Rankin or Stevenson will ever have.

FWIW I wouldn't argue with Callum Booth out on loan, come January he will be back with Grounds returning to Boro I would imagine. Then we will see hopefully just how good he is.

Kurtis Byrne would go into the squad in January as well but I'm not expecting too much from him. I hope I'm wrong.

Sean Welsh would be a regular in the team by now if it were not for injury.

If Kevin McCann avoids injury between now and January I would have him back as well.

truehibernian
09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't fill my team with youngsters but another couple being given a chance would not be a bad thing IMO.

Lee Currie has a sweet left peg and can play a bit, I wouldn't regard him as a gamble in the slightest as again IMO is better than either Rankin or Stevenson. He carries a goal threat that neither Rankin or Stevenson will ever have.

FWIW I wouldn't argue with Callum Booth out on loan, come January he will be back with Grounds returning to Boro I would imagine. Then we will see hopefully just how good he is.

Kurtis Byrne would go into the squad in January as well but I'm not expecting too much from him. I hope I'm wrong.

Sean Welsh would be a regular in the team by now if it were not for injury.

If Kevin McCann avoids injury between now and January I would have him back as well.

Totally agree with you scoopy, especially Lee Currie. How on earth he has not been given a chance this season, when Rankin for me has been poor, is baffling. Has he been carrying an injury or something ? Always looks assured for one so young, great strike, and delivers decent balls into the box.

As you said, Welsh is superb.......him and Miller in the same midfield area could be the way forward. Sean is quite dogged and can fairly put his foot in when required.

I still think Kurtis has something to offer. Once he reigns in a bit, he could be a real player.

Only player I would have reservations about is Kevin McCann.

Otherwise for me you are spot on.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
In the current atmosphere they would be chewed up and spat out. Any misplaced pass and they would be hounded the whole game.

Don't you think we're much more prepared to give our own a chance, rather than a journeyman pro?

I don't get this - leave the laddies where they are, they're not exactly pulling up trees, they need first team football etc. We need new faces, players with a bit of attitude, or nothing to fear. They can't do any worse FFS:grr:

SMAXXA
09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree with many opinions posted, also I think putting youngsters into this team could totally ruin them as we are joint bottom and dont have the luxury of taking risks on unknowns. I do also see the flip side that they couldnt do any worse than that shower of ***** mascarading as our first team at the moment. I am a tad surprised we dont have any young strikers in the squad given our current lack of frontmen, I guess what we currently have availible may not be good enough or anywhere near ready.

To be honest I think its more of a case of CC having a look at most of his first team players to see what he thinks of them over the last 3 games, think its clear early on that he doesnt fancy a number of them and I aint surprised.

Does anyone else think Hanlon and Wotherspoons form may be a result of playing too many games, for me they have both been very poor this season but may be gettin more slack due to their age etc which is fair enough. I though last season more so with Spoony that Hughes played him too often as he didnt seem to fulfill the potential he showed when he first burst onto the sceen.

PISTOL1875
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Hibs should get Ewen Moyes back ASAP.. He for one won't bottle it when it comes to putting a tackle in...

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll await Albion Hibs' words of wisdom before giving my input.

Ask and yee shall receive!

I think I have kind of said my piece on this front, and will take from the above that you are getting bored of it!

"is it time to play the young guys" - IMO, simply answer - NO.

Why we would think any of these guys are better than the current team is quite beyond me. They are as it says on the tin, kids- they would get bossed and beaten about like there is no tomorrow, bullied and battered.

I would think the kids playing the first team would do well not to get beaten by double figures.

I am glad to see they are doing well in the divisions and teams they are playing in, but it means nothing other than experience for them, something I am glad to see them get.

But as for dropping them in, or bleeding, then I would suggest the owners of St Mirren would be the happiest men on earth with such a management decision by Hibs.

BEEJ
09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
What happened to young Cropley who was on the verge a couple of years ago?
Released at the end of July 2009. After that, don't know. :dunno:

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 08:08 PM

I think I have kind of said my piece on this front, and will take from the above that you are getting bored of it!

Why we would think any of these guys are better than the current team is quite beyond me. They are as it says on the tin, kids- they would get bossed and beaten about like there is no tomorrow, bullied and battered.

I would think the kids playing the first team would do well not to get beaten by double figures.

I am glad to see they are doing well in the divisions and teams they are playing in, but it means nothing other than experience for them, something I am glad to see them get.

But as for dropping them in, or bleeding, then I would suggest the owners of St Mirren would be the happiest men on earth with such a management decision by Hibs.

At least you're consistent.:greengrin

Nothing much wrong at Hibs. Keep Yogi. Whatever we do keep him. No need to bring in anyone in Jan, this squad can compete. No wait - we won't get good value in Jan. Now it's don't play the youngsters, none of them, keep shuffling this pack... they'd get their butts kicked etc etc.

You - and me - can't possibly know how the young boys would do. I remember McCann's debut v Aberdeen - he was a stand-out. Lewis was MOTM in the CIS Final. That was over 3 years ago.

No-one is seriously suggesting we play all of them in a one-er - personally I'd like to see Booth or Moyes even Byrne, blooded, given a chance, sparingly, introduced to the hurly-burly - but young enough to play without fear, given their opportunity to play on the big stage. They're not children FFS.

WindyMiller
09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Hibs should get Ewen Moyes back ASAP.. He for one won't bottle it when it comes to putting a tackle in...

I haven't seen him play since the U19's but do you think after 26 games in the 3rd Division he's ready for the SPL?

How often have you seen him play.

BEEJ
09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
You - and me - can't possibly know how the young boys would do. I remember McCann's debut v Aberdeen - he was a stand-out. Lewis was MOTM in the CIS Final. That was over 3 years ago.

No-one is seriously suggesting we play all of them in a one-er - personally I'd like to see Booth or Moyes even Byrne, blooded, given a chance, sparingly, introduced to the hurly-burly - but young enough to play without fear, given their opportunity to play on the big stage. They're not children FFS.
:top marks

There are posters on here talking about some of these guys like they're still only 16. :greengrin

Currie, Booth and Moyes are all 20. So is Welsh, but he's suffered from injury.

Cropley10
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
:top marks

There are posters on here talking about some of these guys like they're still only 16. :greengrin

Currie, Booth and Moyes are all 20. So is Welsh, but he's suffered from injury.

:agree: "they would get bossed and beaten about like there is no tomorrow, bullied and battered" apparently...

WindyMiller
09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
:agree: "they would get bossed and beaten about like there is no tomorrow, bullied and battered" apparently...

I saw Moyes when he was in that U19 team play in a few Reserve games. In one of them he was up against Dr Deuchar, who was playing for St.J (iirc). It was a very difficult fight for Moyes but because Dr D didn't get a lot of the ball he handled it.

I wouldn't want to put him in against Kyle the way he played on Saturday, and he'd be a target for every bully in the SPL in relegation dog-fights.

joebakerforever
09-11-2010, 08:38 PM
The brief appearance of David Stephens at ER early season was impressive.

Another plus factor is he has a decent physical presence (6' 4"), something which was glaringly missing against the Jambos on Sunday.

As I have never seen the rest of the youngsters mentioned, I cannot comment on their eligibility, but I agree it would be perilous to introduce too many at the one time.

However if any are exceptional, and are physically up to it, cotton-wooling such talent is unnecessary. Wayne Rooney, Danny Wilson, and Steven Fletcher are three that did not suffer from being blooded at 16/17.

Iggy Pope
09-11-2010, 08:43 PM
What happened to young Cropley who was on the verge a couple of years ago?

Released at the end of July 2009. After that, don't know. :dunno:

Sadly now working as a plumber according to his old boy.

SMAXXA
09-11-2010, 08:53 PM

If its Jordan Cropley? He plays for Arniston I believe

oconnors_strip
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM

and playing for arniston rangers alongside his cousin blair tolmie

sesoim
09-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Some drastic actions need to be taken tomorrow. For example Bamba should be forced to play in midfield, his best position. If he refuses, he should be relegated to the reserves and then binned. Rankin, Stevenson and De Graf should be dropped and then released asap. I would hope to play a midfield of Wotherspoon, Miller, Bamba and Murray tomorrow - we need a physical presence and people who can score from there.

Defence needs sorted in January , but I'd bring Thicot and Hogg back and play them together in the middle, I'm sure they played ok together before. Upfront, we'll have to make do with Trakys or whatever his name is with Galbraith playing off him. John Hughes is a disgrace for (amongst other things) managing to sign another seven players in the summer yet still leaving us with hardly any credible strikers.

As for youngsters, I'm all for bringing 3 or 4 youngsters into the squad each season, but no more or we will finish bottom. You are better bringing youngsters in when you have good, reliable, experienced players already in the team, and we barely have anybody who fits the bill.

Bostonhibby
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM

:agree: Shame about Welsh, I'd like to see Stephens on the basis that I genuinely think he has a bit more about him that we currently have, a gamble perhaps but...

Booth, I agree on the basis of what I hear and read, Byrne I'd give more games to so we can find out if he has progressed or not, it can't be any more eye bleeding than our attacking "force" on Sunday or recently.

If Currie can land 50% of what he hits in the right area then its better than some of the woeful distribution I witnessed at tthe weekend.

They are probably all a gamble, but a gamble by definition has good as well as bad possible outcomes and the bad or disappointing outcomes for the current shower have been consistent across 2 seasons not one (yes I know we made Europe but look at the performances in the later half of last season into this one).

If any of these guys are winners, leaders or just outstanding talent they are never going to get a better chance to nick a permanent spot of the first choice lot than they have now.

WindyMiller
09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Some drastic actions need to be taken tomorrow. For example Bamba should be forced to play in midfield, his best position. If he refuses, he should be relegated to the reserves and then binned. Rankin, Stevenson and De Graf should be dropped and then released asap. I would hope to play a midfield of Wotherspoon, Miller, Bamba and Murray tomorrow - we need a physical presence and people who can score from there.

Defence needs sorted in January , but I'd bring Thicot and Hogg back and play them together in the middle, I'm sure they played ok together before. Upfront, we'll have to make do with Trakys or whatever his name is with Galbraith playing off him. John Hughes is a disgrace for (amongst other things) managing to sign another seven players in the summer yet still leaving us with hardly any credible strikers.

As for youngsters, I'm all for bringing 3 or 4 youngsters into the squad each season, but no more or we will finish bottom. You are better bringing youngsters in when you have good, reliable, experienced players already in the team, and we barely have anybody who fits the bill.

We'd still be paying for them, and what happens if we had a few injuries/red cards in the next few weeks?

McD
09-11-2010, 10:25 PM

Got sent off at the weekend according to my bro

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 10:35 PM
At least you're consistent.:greengrin

Nothing much wrong at Hibs. Keep Yogi. Whatever we do keep him. No need to bring in anyone in Jan, this squad can compete. No wait - we won't get good value in Jan. Now it's don't play the youngsters, none of them, keep shuffling this pack... they'd get their butts kicked etc etc.

You are unreal in every aspect of what you say IMO, it would appear to me you know very little about football, again IMO. I have witnessed you writing on threads that discuss whether or not relegation is a reality for us, yet you want to bring back guys playing in the third tier of this league.......relegation a possibility, bring back the players from the 2nd division....just keep saying it over and over - I think you will realise it is ridiculous. If we are going to be in for a tough season then I would suggest points are at a premium so sparingly experimenting....really??

Young enough to play without fear / they are not children. I would agree with the later, they should be pushing for first team football at hibs if they are going to get it, none of our recent managers have fancied them though.

What next for a fan like you, not producing enough youth - do you want a new training centre, sack the current one its not working / stadiums not loud enough get another one??

You have in your opening paragraph done your usual spout of randomly selected things you thought you read, I have for the avoidence of doubt ignored that - heard it all before - with the exception of any of your opinions, usually just seem to pick up on you commenting on what other people have written.

Again, we are not going to agree, so happy to agree to disagree, I am sure these guys will get there chance to play in front of the new manager in some capacity, if they are good enough great, if not then so be it.

scoopyboy
09-11-2010, 10:59 PM

So if a young player is better than elder players Hibs shouldn't play them incase they get bullied.

Absolute nonsense.

Did John Collins, Kevin Thomson or Scott Brown get bullied when they broke into the first team?

You don't know how good they are until you try them if they don't cut it then take them out again.

If I had to be involved in a ruck I would rather have Lee Currie and Sean Welsh on my side than some of the half hearted players that have worn the shirt this season.

Ask the likes of Currie and Welsh if they want to play for Hibs right now and 100% I could tell you their answer.

How old in your opinion have you got to be until you can play for Hibs?

scoopyboy
09-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Or more accurately watching Blair Tolmie from the bench.

I've seen him play for Hibs 19s, reserves and Arniston and never been impressed by him.

His father watches him every game, and never seems too impressed either.

Pity considering how good his father was.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2010, 11:17 PM
So if a young player is better than elder players Hibs shouldn't play them incase they get bullied.

Absolute nonsense.

Did John Collins, Kevin Thomson or Scott Brown get bullied when they broke into the first team?

You don't know how good they are until you try them if they don't cut it then take them out again.

If I had to be involved in a ruck I would rather have Lee Currie and Sean Welsh on my side than some of the half hearted players that have worn the shirt this season.

Ask the likes of Currie and Welsh if they want to play for Hibs right now and 100% I could tell you their answer.

Dont think you are reading properly, I have always been of the opinion if you are good enough you are old enough.

My reply was based on dumping a load of youth players into this team - what makes people think bryne has more to offer than nish, why do people think Moyes has more to offer than Bamba, why do people think these players are so much better when they are not tried and tested.

I have never said dont give these players a chance. Currie is in and around the squad and he will get his chance, Booth from what I have heard is a good prospect but to simply revert to the .net line of........lets just try and see what happens - is ridiculous IMO - how many times are people wanting to try something, each time costing us points, where do you think we will be at the end of the season? If we got relegated would you back the manager to take us into the 1st div? Or would you want him out?

Sorry, I totally disagree with the view of some that they must be better, if they were they would be on loan in the first division, scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and have there respective teams at the top of the league. To think the transition is to simply turn up at ER on a Sat rather than there on loan stadium is unrealistic.

What age where Brown and Thompson when they broke into the first team? And at what stage in the season did the manager first drop them into the first team?

sahib
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Absolute nonsense.

:agree:

It will be a bit of a gamble but young players can give you a real boost. Fresh legs and enthusiasm might be what we need. The current team are as good as they are going to get. You have loads of subs these days so they can be replaced if they struggle during a game.

scoopyboy
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Dont think you are reading properly, I have always been of the opinion if you are good enough you are old enough.

My reply was based on dumping a load of youth players into this team - what makes people think bryne has more to offer than nish, why do people think Moyes has more to offer than Bamba, why do people think these players are so much better when they are not tried and tested.

I have never said dont give these players a chance. Currie is in and around the squad and he will get his chance, Booth from what I have heard is a good prospect but to simply revert to the .net line of........lets just try and see what happens - is ridiculous IMO - how many times are people wanting to try something, each time costing us points, where do you think we will be at the end of the season? If we got relegated would you back the manager to take us into the 1st div? Or would you want him out?

Sorry, I totally disagree with the view of some that they must be better, if they were they would be on loan in the first division, scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and have there respective teams at the top of the league. To think the transition is to simply turn up at ER on a Sat rather than there on loan stadium is unrealistic.

What age where Brown and Thompson when they broke into the first team? And at what stage in the season did the manager first drop them into the first team?

I'm not saying Booth and Moyes, more Currie at the present because at this moment in time Welsh is hypothetical because of his injury.

Brown and Thomson were teenagers when they first played for Hibs and if memory serves me correctly they were never really out of the team much thereafter. Thomson made his debut quite early in the seasin IIRC but I'm sure Brown was bedded in quite late on in a season when there was virtually no pressure.

Me, you or anyone else don't know if the laddies will cut it but there is only one way to find out.

Currie and Welsh only have contracts until the end of the year as far as I'm aware.

BEEJ
10-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Me, you or anyone else don't know if the laddies will cut it but there is only one way to find out.

Currie and Welsh only have contracts until the end of the year as far as I'm aware.
That's my understanding too. Currie, definitely.

Kaiser1962
10-11-2010, 09:17 AM

That's my understanding too. Currie, definitely.

I agree with that as well but my concern would be that there is no-one in our current team who I would think could "talk" the young guys through their first few games. We lack leaders.

An example would be I recall Gordon Rae "talking" a young Geebsie through his first few games and "looking out :wink:" for him on the pitch. I cant see we have anyone to do that here.

Cropley10
10-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Where to start?

1. You have NEVER said if you're good enough you're old enough. You [B]actually said these players would get battered bruised and bullied playing in the SPL.

2. No-one is saying dump them all in at once. Far from it. You've just grasped at this as part of your argument. But there are, patently, players in our first team who are not good enough, where a young hungry player could do no worse, probably better, in fact.

3. They're out on loan because of what JH thought. We're now finding out what Falkirk fans found out about JH's knowledge of football. In your world it would seem that if you're not ripping up trees in Div 2 or Div 1 then they can't be good enough. I would suggest that it is you who knows nothing about football if this is what you believe.

Once again you can come up with no coherent alternative suggestion. Just as you came up with no alternative suggestion for manager, and no alternative suggestions for players in January. Those aren't my opinions - they are facts.

Right now, playing the way we are, with the players we have, we are second bottom. We're there for a very good reason. Pretending that to try anything different would somehow constitute a huge an unacceptable risk is nonsense.

Cropley10
10-11-2010, 10:03 AM
You are unreal in every aspect of what you say IMO, it would appear to me you know very little about football, again IMO. I have witnessed you writing on threads that discuss whether or not relegation is a reality for us, yet you want to bring back guys playing in the third tier of this league.......relegation a possibility, bring back the players from the 2nd division....just keep saying it over and over - I think you will realise it is ridiculous. If we are going to be in for a tough season then I would suggest points are at a premium so sparingly experimenting....really??

Young enough to play without fear / they are not children. I would agree with the later, they should be pushing for first team football at hibs if they are going to get it, none of our recent managers have fancied them though.

What next for a fan like you, not producing enough youth - do you want a new training centre, sack the current one its not working / stadiums not loud enough get another one??

You have in your opening paragraph done your usual spout of randomly selected things you thought you read, I have for the avoidence of doubt ignored that - heard it all before - with the exception of any of your opinions, usually just seem to pick up on you commenting on what other people have written.

Again, we are not going to agree, so happy to agree to disagree, I am sure these guys will get there chance to play in front of the new manager in some capacity, if they are good enough great, if not then so be it.

The guys in question have had one manager, John Hughes. He's left. It was his opinion they were not good enough yet. I'm saying what does he know! Lets see one or two them introduced slowly.

But please can you explain why we need a new training centre? I've never said we're not producing enough youth, I've said the conveyor belt has stopped. There are players on this belt. But they are not arriving at the first team as intended. This is because they're on loan. Because the previous manager didn't think were ready. Plenty of people are saying they are or might well be or can't be any worse that what we are playing with right now. Except you.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Phew.

I'm glad CC understands the importance of protecting our young players.