PDA

View Full Version : Nothing like blowing your own trumpet

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 03:07 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3181018/I-should-have-saved-big-Yogi.html

EDWIN DE GRAAF has admitted he feels GUILTY about John Hughes' sacking by Hibs - because he could have scored the goals to save him.

Yogi was axed by the Easter Road board following their nightmare start to SPL season.

But Dutch ace de Graaf, who signed for the Hibees last summer, insists his ex-gaffer did not deserve to be booted out.

The midfield powerhouse was guilty of two awful open-goal misses against Maribor and Rangers earlier in the season.

De Graaf said: "What happened is a pity because in my opinion the manager didn't make many mistakes.

"He was the victim of our failure and I told him that when he was clearing out his desk before he left. In a few matches I missed chances that cost us and led to defeats.

"But John Hughes didn't want to hear excuses and he said 'I'm a big fan of you and maybe we'll see each other again in a different place'.

"Hughes let Hibs play good football in the Dutch way while football played by Hamilton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock is always the same.

"They punt long balls up the park and battle it out physically.

"Under the boss we played in a 4-3-3 formation and tried to build up attacks from the back.

"Purely on quality, Hibs should be in the top four and I believe we'll be back in the top half soon, once we start scoring more."

Hibs go into tomorrow's crunch with Kilmarnock just one point off the bottom, but de Graaf doesn't expect them to be there for long.

He claims their performances against Rangers and Celtic this season have shown they have what it takes to challenge for Europe again.

But the Dutchman knows he has to raise his own game after admitting his displays this season have been disappointing.

He added: "Within the club, there isn't any panic as we're really three classes better than most opponents in this league.

"And in the matches against the top teams we weren't outplayed.

"Against Celtic we lost 2-1, but we were still the dominant team.

"At home to Rangers we lost 3-0 and that is a convincing defeat. But until late in the second half we had the best chances.

"In the 60th minute I missed a big chance.

"If we had scored then maybe the result would have been different.

"I hope in the coming weeks to get my old form back because up to now I've missed far too many chances.

"We'll need to see how things develop with a new manager, but I'm not afraid of losing my place.

"If I play to my normal level then I'm one of the better players here.":rolleyes:

Shamrock Rovers boss Michael O'Neill, has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant post.

O'Neill said: "I can't help what people link me to.

"I came to Shamrock Rovers on a three-year contract and I envisage I'll be here for even longer than that.

"I think we've made a lot of progress in the time we've been here and there's still a long way to go in terms of the progress I believe we can make as a club."

Leithenhibby
15-10-2010, 04:01 AM
EDWIN DE GRAAF has admitted he feels GUILTY about John Hughes' sacking by Hibs - because he could have scored the goals to save him.

Yogi was axed by the Easter Road board following their nightmare start to SPL season.

But Dutch ace de Graaf, who signed for the Hibees last summer, insists his ex-gaffer did not deserve to be booted out.

The midfield powerhouse was guilty of two awful open-goal misses against Maribor and Rangers earlier in the season.

De Graaf said: "What happened is a pity because in my opinion the manager didn't make many mistakes.

"He was the victim of our failure and I told him that when he was clearing out his desk before he left. In a few matches I missed chances that cost us and led to defeats.

"But John Hughes didn't want to hear excuses and he said 'I'm a big fan of you and maybe we'll see each other again in a different place'.

"Hughes let Hibs play good football in the Dutch way while football played by Hamilton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock is always the same.

"Under the boss we played in a 4-3-3 formation and tried to build up attacks from the back.

"Purely on quality, Hibs should be in the top four and I believe we'll be back in the top half soon, once we start scoring more."

Hibs go into tomorrow's crunch with Kilmarnock just one point off the bottom, but de Graaf doesn't expect them to be there for long.

He claims their performances against Rangers and Celtic this season have shown they have what it takes to challenge for Europe again.

But the Dutchman knows he has to raise his own game after admitting his displays this season have been disappointing.

He added: "Within the club, there isn't any panic as we're really three classes better than most opponents in this league.

"At home to Rangers we lost 3-0 and that is a convincing defeat. But until late in the second half we had the best chances.

"I hope in the coming weeks to get my old form back because up to now I've missed far too many chances.

"We'll need to see how things develop with a new manager, but I'm not afraid of losing my place.

"If I play to my normal level then I'm one of the better players here.":rolleyes:

Shamrock Rovers boss Michael O'Neill, has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant post.

"I came to Shamrock Rovers on a three-year contract and I envisage I'll be here for even longer than that.

"I think we've made a lot of progress in the time we've been here and there's still a long way to go in terms of the progress I believe we can make as a club."

Lets be honest here, nobody on this board is blowing his trumpet for him and I'm sure nobody will :rolleyes: until he gets it right. If he doesn't have faith in his own ability then who will........ I don't see anything wrong with his comment.. :wink:

greenlex
15-10-2010, 04:26 AM
The one thing he is correct in saying is that if he had tucked his chances away Hughes wouldstill be in the dugout. The rest is bollox.

Cabbage East
15-10-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm glad he's got a bit of self-belief :agree:

Septimus
15-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Arrogant twit.

PaulSmith
15-10-2010, 06:42 AM
If I'd played for several years in the Dutch top league and captained a team there then I'd have the same confidence in my ability and he's right to think that he should be one of the better players.

For arrogant read confidence, same as any Dutch player

Phil MaGlass
15-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Im all for confidence, thats great, but with a big game coming up does he really need to be saying

"Within the club, there isn't any panic as we're really three classes better than most opponents in this league.

Thats only asking for trouble. On the other hand, now he says it, lets hope he/they back/s it up against Killie.Lets see the three classes.

Mikey
15-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Excellent. Something else we can slag him off about :thumbsup:

Maybe we should give him an extra special boo tomorrow.

matty_f
15-10-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm glad he's got a bit of self-belief :agree:

If I'd played for several years in the Dutch top league and captained a team there then I'd have the same confidence in my ability and he's right to think that he should be one of the better players.

:agree: Agree with both of you here.

I actually think De Graaf has something about him, once he's up to speed with the Scottish game he'll be good.

He's missed some howlers, but he's been there in the first place which is more than can be said for the rest of the midfielders. He is/will be one of our better players and I actually think he's right in saying that we have a better standard of player than St Mirren etc.

I wish we, as a support, started looking for ways to stand up for our players, rather than going through articles/soundbites/matches looking for ways to hammer them.

matty_f
15-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Im all for confidence, thats great, but with a big game coming up does he really need to be saying

"Within the club, there isn't any panic as we're really three classes better than most opponents in this league.

Thats only asking for trouble. On the other hand, now he says it, lets hope he/they back/s it up against Killie.Lets see the three classes.

:agree: Spot on.

hibbiedon
15-10-2010, 07:01 AM

I agree with him, but i'm biased i'm a Hibs fan

Pretty Boy
15-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't get the problem with the underlined part at all. Most Hibs fans have been commenting on how poor De Graaf has been since signing for us, all he's done here is acknowledge this and point out that if we was playing well he would be one of our better players. Given his previous experience i don't think this is a particualrly stupid statement.

The general tone of the article isn't to my liking particularly, but he does have a point, we are better than most other teams in the league if everyone pulls together, puts in a shift, raises their game and plays to their potential. I'd rather see something like this coming from a player than some of the uber negative nonsense on here.

Speedway
15-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I posted on here after the Accies match that I felt EDG was a very clever player and this just reinforces that view.

When I hear of Evans being 'shocked' Hughes was going or Murray pointing out that the fans were unhappy with our home form 'for some reason' it makes me wonder how thick footballers are.

Why on earth would you be shocked to see a manager get the bullet when you've won 4 matches in 28, have the crowds falling and those that are left, booing every game?

*Real World Calling East Mains. Do You Copy?*

SMAXXA
15-10-2010, 08:16 AM

"I think we've made a lot of progress in the time we've been here and there's still a long way to go in terms of the progress I believe we can make as a club."[/QUOTE]

That because he has not been asked by any chance, funny how its taken him nearly 2 weeks to come out with that statement :bye:

Andy74
15-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Even with his misses De Graaf still has a better scoring ratio than Pat McGinlay.

Beefster
15-10-2010, 08:25 AM
So De Graaf's this year's scapegoat then, yeah?

500miles
15-10-2010, 08:35 AM
The thing is, De Graff made a name for himself in the Eredivise scoring goals like the ones he missed this season. Usually he puts them away, and for some reason, it's not happened the last few times. If he put them away like he normally does, then he's a hero.

I'm glad he's got a belief in himself, because he'll need it at this club.

cheltenhamhibee
15-10-2010, 09:15 AM

I actually think De Graaf has something about him, once he's up to speed with the Scottish game he'll be good.

He's missed some howlers, but he's been there in the first place which is more than can be said for the rest of the midfielders. He is/will be one of our better players and I actually think he's right in saying that we have a better standard of player than St Mirren etc.

I wish we, as a support, started looking for ways to stand up for our players, rather than going through articles/soundbites/matches looking for ways to hammer them.

:top markswell said that man:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Im sure every player would say they were one of the better players when up to THEIR LEVEL so i probably shouldnt have picked up on it. As for he thought we were the dominant team v celtic :whistle:

calumb
15-10-2010, 09:37 AM
maybe this interview illustrates what is wrong at the moment if the players are all sitting in the dressing room thinking they are 3 classes above the opposition then its hardly suprising that a well organised team will give them a game. Hughes always said that hard work beats talent if talent doesnt work hard, maybe the next managers only job is to get the players to accept this.
It also shows that hughes was committed to 4-3-3 which every man and his dug could see we were not able to play.

basehibby
15-10-2010, 09:38 AM

:top marks :agree:

basehibby
15-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I posted on here after the Accies match that I felt EDG was a very clever player and this just reinforces that view.

When I hear of Evans being 'shocked' Hughes was going or Murray pointing out that the fans were unhappy with our home form 'for some reason' it makes me wonder how thick footballers are.

Why on earth would you be shocked to see a manager get the bullet when you've won 4 matches in 28, have the crowds falling and those that are left, booing every game?

Did you not think that Murray was indulging in a spot of irony here??? I thought that was pretty obvious - maybe just a case of WHOOSH for many.

emmjayfox
15-10-2010, 09:44 AM
:top marks :agree:

I would hardly say i personally hammered him, but its surely all about opinions or have i lost touch with what forums are all about. :confused:

BEEJ
15-10-2010, 02:10 PM
There are parts of this article which make me feel uneasy - but not the one highlighted in the OP. As a senior player he needs to step up to the mark and put in the performances of which he is capable.

The bits that concern me are

De Graaf said: "Hughes let Hibs play good football in the Dutch way while football played by Hamilton, St Mirren and Kilmarnock is always the same.

"And in the matches against the top teams we weren't outplayed."
So if the gaffer isn't to blame and we're such a classy side, why have we looked every bit like a team that's heading for a relegation struggle this season.

Very puzzling comments. :confused: Plus a ready-made incentive for Killie to prove him wrong tomorrow. :rolleyes:

The one thing he is correct in saying is that if he had tucked his chances away Hughes wouldstill be in the dugout. The rest is bollox.
Don't agree. It is a weak argument that but for a bit of better luck in the last few weeks, Yogi would not have been sacked.

There is no certainty that the outcome of those matches would have been any different had he scored those goals. As he says himself:

"If we had scored then maybe the result would have been different."

The Hibs of 2010 might have been prone to rolling over when they concede a goal; other teams have tended to have a different mentality of late.

Diclonius
15-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I think de Graaf will become a very good player for us this season. He was immense against Maribor and just seems to have fallen away then - you have to take into account that the rest of the team has, too.

Phil D. Rolls
15-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Surely some mistake?

Anyone who has steered a sub through the Baltic is.............:greengrin

Duffys13
15-10-2010, 03:01 PM
So De Graaf's this year's scapegoat then, yeah?

Na it's clearly Nish, based on the way this board seems to feel about him

Hibee Daz
15-10-2010, 03:04 PM
De Graff, coming out and stating that he would be one of our better players if he played to his usual standard doesn't have me up in arms, but I do think he's just heaped a whole lot more pressure on himself to perform!
I really do hope he comes good but I have my doubts as I think his legs are finished. :dunno:

Time to walk the walk Eddie, but not at a snails pace!:wink:

HibsMax
15-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Im sure every player would say they were one of the better players when up to THEIR LEVEL so i probably shouldnt have picked up on it. As for he thought we were the dominant team v celtic :whistle:

That comment was the one I would underline. I only watched the game on a blurry, 3" screen but from what I could see we could barely string two passes together.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I think de Graaf will become a very good player for us this season. He was immense against Maribor and just seems to have fallen away then - you have to take into account that the rest of the team has, too.

Was he? I must have missed that. Yes he scored twice that night, although i thought he was every bit as useless as the rest of them that night. And just as anonymous in the away leg too. In every game since he's shown nothing imho, to make ME think he will be a very good player for us this season.

Skanko79
15-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Ed will be found out by anyone taking on the hotseat with at least half a footballing brain. Going by his performances so far i wouldnt be surprised if he was told to bolt in january.

Alfred E Newman
15-10-2010, 03:31 PM

I actually think De Graaf has something about him, once he's up to speed with the Scottish game he'll be good. He's missed some howlers, but he's been there in the first place which is more than can be said for the rest of the midfielders. He is/will be one of our better players and I actually think he's right in saying that we have a better standard of player than St Mirren etc.

Aye its a big step up from the old Dutch league right enough.

Andy74
15-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Aye its a big step up from the old Dutch league right enough.

It's more the step down that's the problem.

If you are used to playing a bit of football without all the physical stuff it can be a bit of a learning curve.

Playing with players not quite on the same wavelength doesn't help either.

You can't argue that he gets in the right positions, he is in there in positions to take chances and I doubt he's had a spell in his life where he's missed three like that in a row so he's been unfortunate.

I like him and think he could be a really good player for us.

scotiaf
15-10-2010, 04:05 PM
If you are a footballer and you don't beleive you are 1 of the better players..

Then your in the wrong game if you have no self belief

He looked good when he scored a couple of goals in the Uefa cup and looked good against Celtic, he has it but wither he is able to produce it in Scotland we will wait and see

HibbyAndy
15-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I genuinley think De Graff will come good, The name calling he gets on here at times is nothing short of pathetic, Good bad or indifferent namecalling is taking it lower.

He plays for the Cabbage and doesnt intentionally set out to play crap, He will come good IMO.

skipster7
15-10-2010, 04:13 PM
That comment was the one I would underline. I only watched the game on a blurry, 3" screen but from what I could see we could barely string two passes together.

fwiw de graff and riordan linked up very well in the second half and imo was by far his best showing yet.i dont think we were the "dominant team" but certainly had a very good spell in the second half with edwin driving forward and deeks movement for once.
nothing wrong with self confidence and hopefully hes got a lot more to come this season:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
15-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I genuinley think De Graff will come good, The name calling he gets on here at times is nothing short of pathetic, Good bad or indifferent namecalling is taking it lower.

He plays for the Cabbage and doesnt intentionally set out to play crap, He will come good IMO.

:agree:

But unfortunately he's another one that's pedalling the myth that we play good football!

Hopefully the new Manager (whoever he may be), will explain to the players what the idea of the game really is.

bingo70
15-10-2010, 04:59 PM
:agree:

But unfortunately he's another one that's pedalling the myth that we play good football!

Hopefully the new Manager (whoever he may be), will explain to the players what the idea of the game really is.

aye...entertainment :agree:

basehibby
15-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Was he? I must have missed that. Yes he scored twice that night, although i thought he was every bit as useless as the rest of them that night. And just as anonymous in the away leg too. In every game since he's shown nothing imho, to make ME think he will be a very good player for us this season.

He's been far from all action when I've seen him so far and has yet to make my hair stand on end :greengrin - but I have seen a few promising signs - nice through balls on occasion and certainly the ability to pop up in goal scoring positions at the right time (even if he's fluffed half of them so far).

I'm definately looking for more from De Graaf but I've seen enough in snatches to give me hope there's a good player in there who's not far off hitting his stride.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2010, 05:38 PM
He's been far from all action when I've seen him so far and has yet to make my hair stand on end :greengrin - but I have seen a few promising signs - nice through balls on occasion and certainly the ability to pop up in goal scoring positions at the right time (even if he's fluffed half of them so far).

I'm definately looking for more from De Graaf but I've seen enough in snatches to give me hope there's a good player in there who's not far off hitting his stride.

I dont see it, but hope you are right. :pray:

Albion Hibs
15-10-2010, 05:53 PM

That is our vice captain you are speaking about. Do you think that is acceptable?

Maybe he was being ironic, or maybe he was thinking we have had three home games this season, lost once to the OF+Ref and taken two draws in games we should have won / had chances to win.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Basehibby - whos snatches were they?

poolman
15-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Aw for Chrissake

Any more posters to slag of our players

Gie it a ****in rest :bitchy:

alex74
15-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Aw for Chrissake

Any more posters to slag of our players

Gie it a ****in rest :bitchy:Colin Nish end off

Dinkydoo
16-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Arrogant twit.

A bit harsh. :rolleyes:

If he had scored and the results had been different, theres no telling what would have happend to JH. IMO, he'd probably still be our Manager.

Who's going to chant Yogi, Yogi GTF when we're winning?

bob12345
16-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Personally I think his comments are harsh on Hamilton and Kilmarnock, who both set out to play good football.