PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices For ER (Merged)

hibbycraig
13-10-2010, 07:24 PM
After the 12000+ attendance at the Scotland U21 game on Monday, tickets were only priced £2 Under 18s/concessions and £10 adults, do you think the board should look at reducing the prices for Hibs games at ER. Would they lose money if they did this or would the hopefully increased crowds make up the difference?
The atmosphere was amazing on monday night and having more folk at the games can only give the players more confidence to get the result on the park!!

hibbycraig
13-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Should of said I my idea and think it would be good to trial it with a few games to see if the offer is taken up by fans.

Manxhibs
13-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Definitely think the prices could do with being lowered for games like the one on Saturday to help boost the attendances

M11BMO
13-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Pricess to watch football nowadays in general is shocking. Especially if you are taking a couple of kids etc...

lyonhibs
13-10-2010, 07:48 PM
This "lowering prices" question always comes back to a) can Hibs afford the hit in income, especially if price reduction were imposed across all tickets for any one game (as opposed to sporadically offering a "Family ticket" style deal) and b) ST prices don't offer a great monetary advantage vs walk-up as it is. Cut walk up prices several times a season, and where's the incentive to buy a ST up front??

Hibs can't afford to take a serious hit in terms of the up front income that ST money provides for the manager's pre-season transfer/wages kitty.

Also, bear in mind that - I'd imagine - as it was a Scotland game on Monday, Hibs wouldn't have footed the policing/security costs???

PaulSmith
13-10-2010, 07:48 PM
After the 12000+ attendance at the Scotland U21 game on Monday, tickets were only priced £2 Under 18s/concessions and £10 adults, do you think the board should look at reducing the prices for Hibs games at ER. Would they lose money if they did this or would the hopefully increased crowds make up the difference?
The atmosphere was amazing on monday night and having more folk at the games can only give the players more confidence to get the result on the park!!

Not with you here mate, tickets were less than half what they are for Hibs home games yet the same amount of people attended this one than will probably be at ER on Sat give or take 1000.

alex74
13-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Definitely think the prices could do with being lowered for games like the one on Saturday to help boost the attendancesdefinatly it gives the players a wee boost the bigger the crowd is also kids should be getting in for 5pound as the price for kids to watch a game is terrible we were ok as we got a lift over dont forget the kids spend money on food and drinks etc,what do you think?

Andy74
13-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Not with you here mate, tickets were less than half what they are for Hibs home games yet the same amount of people attended this one than will probably be at ER on Sat give or take 1000.

Yep what he said.

Antifa Hibs
13-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Scottish prices should be £15 and £5. Slap it across the board and everyone takes the hit. We may lose few quid, but hey ho, the standard of play just now is utter pish anyway.

I've paid around £2-3 for games in Bratislava and Gdansk, which was around twice the price of a pint at the time. Standard wasn't that bad, maybe mid to lower level SPL. Shows how much we are getting shafted.

Incidentally, I see its £41.50 for the Old Firm Derbies this season. :faf:

Part/Time Supporter
13-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Scottish prices should be £15 and £5. Slap it across the board and everyone takes the hit. We may lose few quid, but hey ho, the standard of play just now is utter pish anyway.

I've paid around £2-3 for games in Bratislava and Gdansk, which was around twice the price of a pint at the time. Standard wasn't that bad, maybe mid to lower level SPL. Shows how much we are getting shafted.

How much is the working man paid in Bratislava or Gdansk?

greenlex
14-10-2010, 03:24 AM
**** that. More fans means more moaning and booing.

Green_one
14-10-2010, 07:37 AM

This is the main point for me. We are paying the same over inflated prices for decending standards. Even if the old firm was worth £30 odd 15 years ago they are now two third rate teams with no stars. The only thing to improve over that period has been some stadia. The huge number of kids at the Scotland game on Monday is worth noting. If nothing else, they should be dirt cheap to pay in.

bobbyhibs1983
14-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I think ticket prices are ott.If your a "typical family" of 2 adults and 2 kids and not a s.t holder your paying in the region of £70

The price for a s.t this season put me, my brother and sister off getting them because of the price.how many more people thought the same?
how many people just said cant afford it?

lyonhibs
14-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Near-enough halfing the prices - and hence income from walk-ups - is only liable to exacerbate that problem though :confused:

The only financially feasible routes I can see for Hibs to take is to leave basic walk-up prices as they are, but introduce an U-12 (or similar) age group with cheaper prices for cat B games - say £6-£8 - and for Cat B games offer a "Family ticket" deal to make taking your bairns more affordable (Say, full paying adult and 2 kids for £35 or something)

Sweeping ticket price cuts across the board on all tickets are neither financially desirable for Hibs, or realistic, no matter how much we want them to be.

Gingertosser
14-10-2010, 10:05 AM
The German method of reducing season tickets and pushing up the price of strips seems to work better.

The thinking behind it is that there are more people who are likely to want strips than there are wanting a season ticket.

Generally £10 a game, but strip (top only) would be £60

Antifa Hibs
14-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Couldn't tell you, but as I said, it was twice the price of a pint. From my memory Bratislava worked out at £2.20 to get in, we were paying around a euro a pint back then. Gdansk was 3 quid (about 13 pln), a beer then was working out about £1.10 IIRC.

We are getting absulutely shafted. Everything from ticket prices right down to the booking fee.

I just booked our derby tickets, £28.50 to see Hibs v Hearts. £28.50 to see donkeys like Nish, Rankin, Suso, Black etc :faf::faf:

Sure going with the rate of inflation we should be paying around £13 for a ticket.

Expecting Rain
14-10-2010, 10:10 AM
£200 and i would have bought a season ticket and probably so would have a lot of others, £15 walk up price and i`m definitely going to the game, over £20 and the seeds of doubt are sown, £27 and televised and there`s a good chance i`m not going, more people in the ground, more people buying snacks, more people buying merchandise, a better atmosphere, am i being naive?

Joe Baker II
14-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I paid the rate Hibs charged for 17 successive years, knew it was a bit overpriced but at least old East Stand unlike most other SPL grounds was genuinely enjoyable place to be in - could have choice to sit or stand, smoke at half time, no aggressive stewarding, good atmosphere, free to move about etc. Did not buy one in 2009-10 season but paid at gate for most home games. Now Hibs want more money for vastly inferior experience and atmosphere when even if the admission prices were halved I would hesitate to return.

Compare with the following when I went to Scottish Cup game recently:

a) Admission cost was £5 (season ticket £45 which I have now purchased, just over a tenth of what Hibs charge);

b) You could choose to stand or sit,

c) No obvious presence of stewards at all, let alone the sort of stewarding we see at Easter Road now;

d) Admission ticket counted as a pass out to get beer in social club at half time, (And Mr Hyland recently claimed Hibs would not organise letting fans out for smoke at half time due to resources required, but even a small club can organise this simply as I understand Hibs did indeed manage for the one game this worked effectively. Even as a non-smoker myself one can see how pathetic this is!);

e) And no harassment for having bottles of water in the ground;

f) And most significantly one got the impression the club actually welcomed supporters which you never get at Easter Road now;

g) Virtually all game at 3pm on a Saturday;

h) Quality of football is I agree less than the SPL (but I suspect most of us do not support Hibs due to quality of football on show.).

Not saying I would necessarily return regularly if ticket prices reduced to the figures quoted above if that was the only change (£15 is still far too expensive to sit in the soulless corporate dump that ER has become, though I may attend the odd game for some atmosphere guaranteed), but currently my choice for watching football on a regular basis is a no-brainer.

And I am fortunate enough to be able to easily afford what Hibs are currently charging I have decided they do not deserve my money at the moment - many fans do not have that choice.

HenryMonk
14-10-2010, 10:25 AM

if the attendance was 19000+ on monday i would tend to agree that hibs should look at the issue.
big attendance on monday was less the hibs average this season. so no i dont think so.
tickets prices are cheap if you ask me, my average price of a spurs tickets this season has been around 45 quid.

Joe Baker II
14-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Good question - here is my attempt at the answer.

According to a business website an average monthly salary at a Polish firm currently amounts to 3,362 zloty (797.80 euro) gross, with the minimum Polish salary amounting to 1,276 zloty gross (about 303 euro). The Slovak average is around 80% of the Polish figures.

So average Polish salary just fewer than 10,000 euros per annum, around £8,000 approx. So around a third of the UK average salary, yet normal SPL admission prices getting on for ten times what Antifa Hibs referred to for Polish games.

Caveat is that there is much scepticism in Poland about official average salary figures (though I have some doubts about those quoted in UK also). And Gdansk and Bratislava may have average salaries above the national averages? But this certainly puts SPL prices into perspective, plus you are probably allowed to stand and have drink at half time at these grounds too.

PaulSmith
14-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I paid the rate Hibs charged for 17 successive years, knew it was a bit overpriced but at least old East Stand unlike most other SPL grounds was genuinely enjoyable place to be in - could have choice to sit or stand, smoke at half time, no aggressive stewarding, good atmosphere, free to move about etc. Did not buy one in 2009-10 season but paid at gate for most home games. Now Hibs want more money for vastly inferior experience and atmosphere when even if the admission prices were halved I would hesitate to return.

Compare with the following when I went to Scottish Cup game recently:

a) Admission cost was £5 (season ticket £45 which I have now purchased, just over a tenth of what Hibs charge);

b) You could choose to stand or sit,

c) No obvious presence of stewards at all, let alone the sort of stewarding we see at Easter Road now;

d) Admission ticket counted as a pass out to get beer in social club at half time, (And Mr Hyland recently claimed Hibs would not organise letting fans out for smoke at half time due to resources required, but even a small club can organise this simply as I understand Hibs did indeed manage for the one game this worked effectively. Even as a non-smoker myself one can see how pathetic this is!);

e) And no harassment for having bottles of water in the ground;

f) And most significantly one got the impression the club actually welcomed supporters which you never get at Easter Road now;

g) Virtually all game at 3pm on a Saturday;

h) Quality of football is I agree less than the SPL (but I suspect most of us do not support Hibs due to quality of football on show.).

Not saying I would necessarily return regularly if ticket prices reduced to the figures quoted above if that was the only change (£15 is still far too expensive to sit in the soulless corporate dump that ER has become, though I may attend the odd game for some atmosphere guaranteed), but currently my choice for watching football on a regular basis is a no-brainer.

And I am fortunate enough to be able to easily afford what Hibs are currently charging I have decided they do not deserve my money at the moment - many fans do not have that choice.

So well done, you went to watch a Junior or EoS club in the Scottish cup and your know able to have a fag, a pint at half time in the social club are they don't employ stewards to 'harrass' you for breaking the law by having bottles of water with you.

Sorry but there is little or no relevance to any of your points about watching a game down the local park than going to a SPL game.

Joe Baker II
14-10-2010, 11:40 AM
So well done, you went to watch a Junior or EoS club in the Scottish cup and your know able to have a fag, a pint at half time in the social club are they don't employ stewards to 'harrass' you for breaking the law by having bottles of water with you.

Sorry but there is little or no relevance to any of your points about watching a game down the local park than going to a SPL game.

The point was that lower prices may entice may me back to ER (the topic of the thread) but are not a be all and all in a decision - there are plenty of other factors. Hence the relevance to the thread.

alex74
14-10-2010, 11:43 AM
:top marks
Couldn't tell you, but as I said, it was twice the price of a pint. From my memory Bratislava worked out at £2.20 to get in, we were paying around a euro a pint back then. Gdansk was 3 quid (about 13 pln), a beer then was working out about £1.10 IIRC.

We are getting absulutely shafted. Everything from ticket prices right down to the booking fee.

I just booked our derby tickets, £28.50 to see Hibs v Hearts. £28.50 to see donkeys like Nish, Rankin, Suso, Black etc :faf::faf:

Sure going with the rate of inflation we should be paying around £13 for a ticket.:top marks

Gatecrasher
14-10-2010, 11:50 AM
as much as i think prices are too high in scotland i cant help but think hibs hands are tied unless there is an spl agreement to lower prices.

also lowering prices by no mean guarentee that the fans will turn up as well

at the Hamilton game it was buy an adult ticket and get 2 kids tickets free (IIRC) there wasnt that much diffrence in the crowd to justify this being a long term pricing stragity

Antifa Hibs
14-10-2010, 12:01 PM
The point was that lower prices may entice may me back to ER (the topic of the thread) but are not a be all and all in a decision - there are plenty of other factors. Hence the relevance to the thread.

Spot on with that. For all the new East in fantastic, makes the ground look the bollocks, probably get extra revenue for Hibs etc, for the overall matchday experience it is utter ****** compared to the terracing.

I've had a season ticket since I was about 8, the majority of the time in the East. First time though since my first ST I didn't buy one this season. Am I **** paying £405 for a Hibs season ticket. Can't justify that at all. If it was £300, £350 even, no bother, i;d have one. I know its only £55 more but its the point of principle.

I'll still be at every game PATG and know i'll pay more. Then again saying that I'll miss a match in December and i've already had a 'lone' of a ST so i'll be quids in. Zero incentive to buy a season ticket these days.

heretoday
14-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Reduce walk-up prices by a fiver a seat. A lot more people would go.

Keith_M
14-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Reduce walk-up prices by a fiver a seat. A lot more people would go.

But what would the incentive be to buy a Season Ticket? You can't just reduce PATG without any thought to Seasons.

Keith_M
14-10-2010, 01:03 PM
The German method of reducing season tickets and pushing up the price of strips seems to work better.

The thinking behind it is that there are more people who are likely to want strips than there are wanting a season ticket.

Generally £10 a game, but strip (top only) would be £60

The point about the german model of pricing is that while there are sections that are really cheap (I think the terracing is now 12EUR), there are also really expensive sections, much higher than at a scottish game. The benefit of this is that there's parts of the stadium affordable to everybody that wants to go, as the prices gradually increase towards the better view seats (generally on the half way line).

If at Easter Road it was, for arguments sake, £15 for the FF lower and gradually increasing to about £25 for slap bang on the half way line at the back of the New East, that would give a decent range of prices for everybody. You want the best view in the house? You pay extra. Can't afford that? Fine, you can sit behind the goals for a tenner less, or someone in between for an in between price.

Surely it's not rocket science :confused:

bobbyhibs1983
14-10-2010, 01:25 PM
But what would the incentive be to buy a Season Ticket? You can't just reduce PATG without any thought to Seasons.

an idea to combat that and i think its a great idea on its own is to offer st holders a discount for the next again season if they buy a season ticket again.
e.g
10% next seasons st

year after that anohter 10% off

As people have mentioned it is very exspensive nowadays.A poster above has mentioned about an adult and 2 kids deal but what if you have 1 kid?its not gonna benefit you,same with 3 kids not gonna benefit you.

what if hibs tried buy 1 get one half price?or buy 2 tickets and get a 3rd ticket half price?

Mikeystewart
14-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Should of said I my idea and think it would be good to trial it with a few games to see if the offer is taken up by fans.

Prices wont change as people have already paid for there season ticket. If the games to season ticket ratio was cheaper now than it was when people bought the season tickets there would be an uproar.

alex74
14-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Prices wont change as people have already paid for there season ticket. If the games to season ticket ratio was cheaper now than it was when people bought the season tickets there would be an uproar.

this is the first year i have got season tickets 2adults 2kids i have always picked my games so i thought getting st will save money as i wasnt getting much change out of 100pounds time we got something to eat and drink,expensive day out eh but if things dont improve on the park a wont be paying all that money out on st

down-the-slope
14-10-2010, 05:11 PM
£4.50 per match for my 11 & 13 year olds......what more do people want?

And most of the same people will moan that not enough is being spent on........bla bla

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Are Hibs for real? Why cant they put prices down for these kind of games, a total disgrace. £22! I dont see myself affording to be able to go to many games anymore. I would go as far to say I would pay up to £30 for European, Quarters, Semis, Finals, Celtic, Rangers or Hearts game but the rest of the dross, na your ok Rod. Il just watch the 1 0 to whoever we are playing come up on SSN in the pub.

Apart from the games I mentioned, paying anything above £15 to see the likes of Killie, Aberdeen, St Mirren etc is an absoulute disgrace. Im seriously short of cash these days like alot of people and have a mortgage and a daughter to look after, I know where my £22 will be going this week.

£22 to watch Colin Nish run about like a headless chicken, thanks, but no thanks.

MJN1875
15-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Oh, and if I cant make it to the stadium during my already busy week, add £2.50 on to that for daring to pay by card and get my tickets delivered to my house.

So sorry, basically £25 to see Colin Pish run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes.

Not f*****g happy.:fuming:

PaulSmith
15-10-2010, 09:03 AM
De Graaf. If the price was £15 on Sat how many more fans would turn up to watch the game, 200/300, 2000,3000, 5000?

Personally I reckon a few extra hundred which makes it financially correct for the football club to keep the prices as they are.

p.s. ST's work out at £20 a game. I have 2 more payments this year on my interest free loan I got from Hibs and then from Januray all my games are 'free'. :greengrin

Andy74
15-10-2010, 09:09 AM
The point about the german model of pricing is that while there are sections that are really cheap (I think the terracing is now 12EUR), there are also really expensive sections, much higher than at a scottish game. The benefit of this is that there's parts of the stadium affordable to everybody that wants to go, as the prices gradually increase towards the better view seats (generally on the half way line).

If at Easter Road it was, for arguments sake, £15 for the FF lower and gradually increasing to about £25 for slap bang on the half way line at the back of the New East, that would give a decent range of prices for everybody. You want the best view in the house? You pay extra. Can't afford that? Fine, you can sit behind the goals for a tenner less, or someone in between for an in between price.

Surely it's not rocket science :confused:

The problem is though that ticket prices to do not have the effect on attendances that people seem to think.

We have a resonably certain amount of people that will go to the game and others who are swayed by form and opposition. some are swayed by price but its beenshown many times over the years that its not many.

In the model you discussed what we'd be doing is chucking away the extra cash we could have got from all those going for the cheaper tickets who still would have gone at the higher price.

The Scotland under 21 game should have sold out if the price was a deciding factor. Maribor at home as well.

bobbyhibs1983
15-10-2010, 09:13 AM
£4.50 per match for my 11 & 13 year olds......what more do people want?

£4.50 to get into a football match?:cool2:

i understand about kids prices and what have you but what if its a young person 18-21 age range whos not at college/uni, it a fair wack to pay if you are unemployed, witch under the current climate would effect all age ranges,not hibs fault though but they should bare it in mind.I ve said it before but i dont go to the games because when i, my brother and sisters had st's we just didn't enjoy it no more.Would we go if we didn't enjoy it and paid less?

well i think its 50-50,.
would we go if we did not enjoy it and the prices are exspensive like £22?

well no.

All in all, i think prices getting reduced would help but how much more people would go?

When i had a s' a couple of seasons ago, it was around £330-£350. for tisseason it was £405 witch is around 75 MORE than i paid witch works out at 19 home games at around near enough £4 more per game.

Mikey
15-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Ticket prices are quite good considering there's a £2m hole in the accounts every year.

Cheaper prices will simply mean cheaper players.

Joe Baker II
15-10-2010, 09:26 AM

This would be an entirely positive development throughout the British Isles.

basehibby
15-10-2010, 09:32 AM
SPL games are massively overpriced - largely thanks to our cash bloated neighbours together with the Taylor Report - but I can appreciate the financial conundrum under which clubs are labouring. It's a business and the objective has to be to maximise the cash coming in so that a competitive team can be paid to appear in our beloved green and white jerseys.

Passed experiements by other clubs (eg Motherwell) have shown that drastic price cuts don't seem to pay for themselves as a rule - eg. if prices were cut by 50% you'd need 100% increase in crowds to earn the same money - sadly this doesn't seem to happen (although I've never seen Hibs actually try it).

What I think DOES make sense is bending over backwards to make kids' tickets affordable. This makes sense in all sorts of ways...

1) Kids coming means Dad (or Mum or maybe both) coming as well and paying full price. If they can't afford to take the kids, Mum and Dad may well have to give it a miss and do something else.
2) Kids are suckers for the overpriced garbage that passes for food at football matches and will happilly eat their own weight in pizzas, pies and sweeties during the course of a game.
3) Kids are the future! If they get into the habit of going to the football and take it forward into adulthood then the reduced prices today will pay for themselves many times over in future.

Pretty Boy
15-10-2010, 09:35 AM
The problem is though that ticket prices to do not have the effect on attendances that people seem to think.

We have a resonably certain amount of people that will go to the game and others who are swayed by form and opposition. some are swayed by price but its beenshown many times over the years that its not many.

In the model you discussed what we'd be doing is chucking away the extra cash we could have got from all those going for the cheaper tickets who still would have gone at the higher price.

The Scotland under 21 game should have sold out if the price was a deciding factor. Maribor at home as well.

:agree: I have never seen anything that proves that lower ticket prices mean higher crowds.

Yes i think we all agree the product on the park probably isn't value for money but the simple fact is if clubs started lowering ticket prices the only result would be that they would lose money. Losing money would mean an even worse product on the park.

Keith_M
15-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Do you think that's what would really happen, though? Most people aren't too keen on watching from behind the goals, I know I'm not, so would really only go there if they had to. Add to that the fact that there's only 2,000 seats in the FF front and it surely wouldn't reduce the overall income by too much :dunno:

Part/Time Supporter
15-10-2010, 09:37 AM
This would be an entirely positive development throughout the British Isles.

It would be, but you would need an agreement across all professional football in the UK to restrict prices to achieve it. If any one club or even a whole division tried it they would become far less competitive overnight. Ergo you cannot realistically criticise any one club for not doing it.

Stevie Reid
15-10-2010, 09:40 AM
There have been countless posters on the various new manager threads saying that Hibs will no doubt go for "the cheap option" - our managers and playing staff will realistically only suffer from a significant reduction in ticket prices.

If you don't want the cheap option when it comes to players and managers, you can't get the cheap option when it comes to admission prices. It's funny how some people can be immensely cynical with regards to Hibs transfer/wages budget despite the accounts showing what we spend, but wildly idealistic when it comes to the idea of lowering ticket prices increasing attendances - when all that will really happen is that the manager's budget's will be decreased.

heretoday
15-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Are Hibs for real? Why cant they put prices down for these kind of games, a total disgrace. £22! I dont see myself affording to be able to go to many games anymore. I would go as far to say I would pay up to £30 for European, Quarters, Semis, Finals, Celtic, Rangers or Hearts game but the rest of the dross, na your ok Rod. Il just watch the 1 0 to whoever we are playing come up on SSN in the pub.

Apart from the games I mentioned, paying anything above £15 to see the likes of Killie, Aberdeen, St Mirren etc is an absoulute disgrace. Im seriously short of cash these days like alot of people and have a mortgage and a daughter to look after, I know where my £22 will be going this week.

£22 to watch Colin Nish run about like a headless chicken, thanks, but no thanks.

You're right. They could reduce the price for the occasional game. I take the point about season ticket demand being compromised.

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Ultimately, it comes down to the quality on the park, and the quality on the whole is utter ******, throughout the whole league. Rank *** rotten! I know guys who are giving up on their teams from Hibs, Hearts and even the Old Firm, Celtic this season was £500, Rangers about £450 and us just slightly behind on £405.

I wouldn't mind paying the money if we were as bad as Elgin but the matchday experience in the stand was good, but it isn't. The stuff that goes on in the stands is as bad as the matches itself. Treated in utter contempt by Hibs, police, SFA and some security dafties, can't be trusted with a bottle of fanta, trusted to stand on my own two feet on the back row etc etc. Compare that to Germany, get yerself a pint (2% alc) and stand on the terrace, if you don't fancy that choose somewhere else, shown some trust. All helped with a wide range of discounts and incentives, free cup games (or game) with a ST, print your own ticket off = no booking fee, discounts for buying 3 or more games in advance etc etc.

Mikey
15-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultimately, it comes down to the quality on the park, and the quality on the whole is utter ******, throughout the whole league. Rank *** rotten!

Would it be better if we were charging 50 quid a game then? That would help boost the player budget.

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Would it be better if we were charging 50 quid a game then? That would help boost the player budget.

Something more affordable and taking a slight hit in quality would be a better option.

It always amazes me how countries like Austria, Holland, Switzerland, Czech, Serbia, Croatia etc etc, who don't have the might of Murdoch ploughing billions into their league, yet still have good stadiums, cheap ticket pricing, and teams that would romp everyone in the SPL. Where did it all go wrong....?

1875 NO 1
15-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Ticket prices are quite good considering there's a £2m hole in the accounts every year.

or get directors to run the club that don't produce a £2m operating loss. A comercial director that drives up turnover and activley promotes the club and encourages punters to turn up

1875 NO 1
15-10-2010, 10:49 AM
yeah...........thats the way to go.

Part/Time Supporter
15-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Something more affordable and taking a slight hit in quality would be a better option.

It always amazes me how countries like Austria, Holland, Switzerland, Czech, Serbia, Croatia etc etc, who don't have the might of Murdoch ploughing billions into their league, yet still have good stadiums, cheap ticket pricing, and teams that would romp everyone in the SPL. Where did it all go wrong....?

1. You wouldn't get a "slight" drop in quality. You would end up with the whole of SFL1 playing in the SPL, with almost all of the current SPL players moving to the Championship or League One. That's why I said earlier that you would need some sort of agreement across the whole of the UK to restrict prices. Even if you could achieve that, it would almost certainly be challenged in the courts.

2. Other leagues get better quality for less because they aren't in the same labour market and / or they don't have a common language with England, and (in some cases) because they produce better players on the whole.

Expecting Rain
15-10-2010, 11:37 AM

:top marks

Keith_M
15-10-2010, 01:36 PM

I take your point, but, unfortunately, those three aren't great examples. Here's the prices for Rapid Vienna (In Euros). Practically same size stadum as us and no great TV deal to speak of.

SÜD-TRIBÜNE ---------------------- 29,00 Adult - 25,00 16-18/OAP - 10,00 Child

NORD-TRIBÜNE -------------------- 25,00 Adult - 21,00 16-18/OAP - 9,00 Child

OST-TRIBÜNE (Behind the goals) - 21,00 Adult - 17,00 16-18/OAP - 8,00 Child

The average price is pretty much the same as Easter Road (£21.90 at today's rate), though at least there is a choice of prices.

Joe Baker II
15-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Ultimately, it comes down to the quality on the park, and the quality on the whole is utter ******, throughout the whole league. Rank *** rotten! I know guys who are giving up on their teams from Hibs, Hearts and even the Old Firm, Celtic this season was £500, Rangers about £450 and us just slightly behind on £405.

I wouldn't mind paying the money if we were as bad as Elgin but the matchday experience in the stand was good, but it isn't. The stuff that goes on in the stands is as bad as the matches itself. Treated in utter contempt by Hibs, police, SFA and some security dafties, can't be trusted with a bottle of fanta, trusted to stand on my own two feet on the back row etc etc. Compare that to Germany, get yerself a pint (2% alc) and stand on the terrace, if you don't fancy that choose somewhere else, shown some trust. All helped with a wide range of discounts and incentives, free cup games (or game) with a ST, print your own ticket off = no booking fee, discounts for buying 3 or more games in advance etc etc.

Precisley.

I for one was happy to pay the (albeit overpriced compared to elsewhere) season ticket prices for the old East Stand as it was enjoyable win, lose or draw, and also go to some of the away games at the grounds where you were actually treated reasonably well - where at least not all of what you describe actually happened in practice.

Now I am not even sure if half the price of what season/pay at gate tickets are now would tempt me back to ER (or most SPL grounds for that matter), even if we were winning the league. Certainly not while much of the daftness is directed as well as acquiesced in by Hibs officials as I refuse to contribute to thier salaries at exisitng ticket prices.

And increased numbers will feel the same once the new East Stand novelty factor dies off I suspect. But not enough for anything to change I feel, hence attendances will probably decline gradually from next season onwards.