View Full Version : Matty jack.....class

poolman
13-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Defo one of my fav endings to a game at ER

Alex Smith GIRUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk&feature=related

Mon1875
13-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I remember it well. I was in a soul dance years ago and Matty Jack was there and we both had a good laugh and a handshake about the ending.

:greengrin

500miles
13-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I remember this game. Dundee United were wasting time, feigning injury with every tiny bit of contact, and Matty Jack had clearly had enough.

Brilliant.

Spike Mandela
13-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Hard to believe it was 10 years ago.

Peevemor
13-09-2010, 11:59 AM
When he went down for the penalty, was that a Matty Jack roll? :greengrin

Wilson
13-09-2010, 12:06 PM
A hand shake. Thst is more action than i get on a night out.

MSK
13-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Quality ..that vid has made my day ..:thumbsup:

stu in nottingham
13-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I travelled up for that game. Some cracking players in the Hibs eleven there that day (he said wistfully).

bawheid
13-09-2010, 01:38 PM
I travelled up for that game. Some cracking players in the Hibs eleven there that day (he said wistfully).

Indeed - Sauzee, Latapy, Laursen, Zitelli, Paatelainen..

Yet only 10,000 at the game. Who says good product = increased attendances?

stu in nottingham
13-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Yet only 10,000 at the game. Who says good product = increased attendances?

It certainly increased my attendances! :greengrin

Jonnyboy
13-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Loved seeing that again :thumbsup:

I've a notion that little episode spawned my intense dislike of Dundee Utd.

ahibby
13-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I would never had known the penalty was given for the stamp on Matty because the ref let it go at first. Was it a Sunday Sky game at 6:15? If so that would explain the low attendance.

givescotlandfreedom
13-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I remember this game. Dundee United were wasting time, feigning injury with every tiny bit of contact, and Matty Jack had clearly had enough.

Brilliant.

:agree: They were cheating for ages in the lead up to full time the penalty was a brilliant piece if poetic justice! Combe was like a caged animal that day and won't have done his reported aspirations to move to Hibs over the years any good.

HibbyAndy
13-09-2010, 05:10 PM
:agree: They were cheating for ages in the lead up to full time the penalty was a brilliant piece if poetic justice! Combe was like a caged animal that day and won't have done his reported aspirations to move to Hibs over the years any good.

Spot on.

I actually remember that game very well..Dundee utd were cheating ,diving, feignin injurys with HALF AN HOUR OFF THE MATCH TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Jim Lauchlan being the biggest culprit,Threw himself to the ground time and time again, Justice was hibs winning that game.

Next day i picked up a paper ( ma bad ?:greengrin) To read utd DEMANDING a replay:bye::bye::bye: GTF you time wasting cants!!!

Alan Combe lost the plot that day, Total fud of a guy.

Kaiser1962
13-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Brilliant.

If I recall Matty was GOING to give them them the ball back but Lovell told him not to. They were all dropping like flies and Archie told them that if they went down again he would be keeping the ball and he did exactly as he said he would. Matty got the pelters but it was Archie's decision.

Good leader Lovell, we could do with someone of his ilk now.

DarlingtonHibee
13-09-2010, 07:04 PM
If I recall Matty was GOING to give them them the ball back but Lovell told him not to. They were all dropping like flies and Archie told them that if they went down again he would be keeping the ball and he did exactly as he said he would. Matty got the pelters but it was Archie's decision.

What was the date of the game ?

Kaiser1962
13-09-2010, 07:15 PM
What was the date of the game ?

30th December 2000

HibeeMcGinn1
13-09-2010, 08:49 PM
30th December 2000

Alan Freeland :grr: anyone remember the Falkirk match when he just went daft.

HibbyAndy
13-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Alan Freeland :grr: anyone remember the Falkirk match when he just went daft.

:agree:

Lost the plot...Worst performance ever, Is up there with Richmond at ER against Motherwell .

Cabbage East
13-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Freeland is the worst ref I have ever seen.

500miles
13-09-2010, 08:53 PM

The experts in the crowd certainly didn't say that at the time...:cool2:

Iggy Pope
13-09-2010, 08:59 PM
30th December 2000

Seem to recall we went on a stinking run after that while qualifying for Europe....strangely familiar.........:hmmm:

Bishop Hibee
13-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Great memories. I know Utd fans who still go daft when that game or Matty Jack's name get brought up.

I was busy shouting at Lehman for what I thought was giving away a free kick for a push and then we realised we'd won a pen. Cheatin' Arabs had been time wasting and diving all game. An early start to the New Year festivities in the pub after that one :party:

BroxburnHibee
13-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Remember for some reason I was in the west stand for that game.

Didn't Alan Combe threaten the linesman or something?

RickyS
13-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Freeland is the worst ref I have ever seen.

That Falkirk game with Freeland made my blood boil, that day there was a fair few guys who wanted onto the pitch, the worst refereeing performance I have seen anywhere ever. I remember this place going into meltdown. Emails to the SFA, petitions etc. I would like to watch the 90 mins again can anyone remember the date?

Kaiser1962
14-09-2010, 06:41 AM
The experts in the crowd certainly didn't say that at the time...:cool2:

Thats a fair and accurate observation as things are not always as they would obviously appear, this particular game being a case in point :wink:

KWJ
14-09-2010, 09:22 AM
When running off the pitch Combe pushed his face into someone elses (4th official?) and shouted something. He got another yellow after the match IIRC.

Great day that was. Think it was a 3pm Saturday kick off, few excuses for poor attendance.

What a team.

Great work from Tam McManus to win the corner too, what a worker :wink:

maturehibby
14-09-2010, 12:07 PM
When running off the pitch Combe pushed his face into someone elses (4th official?) and shouted something. He got another yellow after the match IIRC.

Great day that was. Think it was a 3pm Saturday kick off, few excuses for poor attendance.

What a team.

Great work from Tam McManus to win the corner too, what a worker :wink:
fourth official was Richmond so another cherry on the cake as far as I am concerned - though it might have been where got his anti Hibs stance from

poolman
14-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I loved the bit on the video when Smith had a big grin on his mush and was back-slappin his assistant for a job well done at trying totally to spoil a game thru time wasting and cheating

Cue the penalty and his ba face didny half change then :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
15-09-2010, 05:59 PM
The team, the strip, the memories:boo hoo:. Oh what I'd do for a return to that era:agree:.

But what was the penalty for? :faf:

And what an absolute knob of a man Combe is, another plus of the CIS Cup match was Hibs knocking 5 past him.

nonshinyfinish
15-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm in the highlights.

KiddA
16-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Defo one of my fav endings to a game at ER

Alex Smith GIRUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk&feature=related

Great to see that again I remember Jim Hamilton chasing Jack down the tunnel only one winner there and it ain't that P##SY Hamilton. Would have got his head to play with. Very very enjoyable watching that, Utd were cheating fuds that night and deserved the loss :agree:

1two
16-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Great Vid

on the dundee united theme remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_kNwsui1JY

Steve-O
16-09-2010, 09:03 AM
The rage of the Dundee Utd players was hilarious :faf:

I remember this because I'd walked down from the South End of the East Stand, down to the end where it all kicked off as I was literally seconds from leaving! Lucky I stayed :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
16-08-2023, 01:07 PM
In a bar in Lucerne with all the Hibs fans

The Irish Bar

Trooper

sleeping giant
16-08-2023, 01:14 PM

The Irish Bar

Trooper

Brilliant 😁

lyonhibs
16-08-2023, 02:10 PM

The Irish Bar

Trooper

Is the bar literally just called The Irish Bar?

HibbyAndy
16-08-2023, 02:13 PM

The Irish Bar

Trooper

What a guy ! Superb

gbhibby
16-08-2023, 02:36 PM

The Irish Bar

Trooper
A new role for Matty Jack

Daniel 1875
16-08-2023, 05:01 PM

The Irish Bar

Trooper

I was in Düsseldorf on a stag do for the home leg on Thursday. He was in great form and told us he was heading over to meet some friends in Switzerland for the game tomorrow.

A lovely guy.