PDA

View Full Version : Hibs photos from the oldleither website

hibernator
05-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I've never seen these anywhere so just thought I'd post them, anybody know the teams we are up against ?

http://www.livvyrugbyfanatics.com/Colinpage3.html

Pete
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
God knows, it could be anyone as far as I know.

However, my old man is in his mid-sixties and he would love to see photos of the old leith as he remembered...and he will probably remember the teams that used to visit ER in the fifties.

WindyMiller
05-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Duncan's Hazelnut Chocolate.
:thumbsup:

I've nae idea what the teams are.

Steve-O
05-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Interesting photos on the other pages too. Funny seeing trams all over the city back then, now they take 6 years to build one line FFS! :greengrin

hibernator
05-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Duncan's Hazelnut Chocolate.
:thumbsup:

I've nae idea what the teams are.

****** another transfer along the M8:boo hoo:

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_STREET/0_street_views_-_beaverhall_road_duncans_chocolates_c1927.htm

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
****** another transfer along the M8:boo hoo:

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_STREET/0_street_views_-_beaverhall_road_duncans_chocolates_c1927.htm

My Ma worked there for years and I remember her telling me that all staff were vigorously searched before leaving the factory but were given broken bars of choccy free at the end of the week :agree: yum **** yum :greengrin

heretoday
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Tremendous pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Toaods
05-09-2010, 10:55 AM
'mon the scaffy....:thumbsup:

I recall all the kids in our street running to speak to the scaffy when he came round.

Mind you, as the years went by and when you hit the high school it would have been the ultimate 'rid kip'...:faf:

Betty Boop
05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
The photo of Giants Brae with Leith Academy in the background is interesting. Leith Academy is celebrating its 450th birthday this year.

MSK
05-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Street party in Pirrie St Leith ..imaging dancing in the streets today ..you would end up in the clink ...:rolleyes:

Kojock
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
The third phot on the third page is definately Tynie. I remember it from the plans prior to building that 55 mill stand. :confused:

--------
05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The third phot on the third page is definately Tynie. I remember it from the plans prior to building that 55 mill stand. :confused:

Don't think so. Check the adverts on the front of the stand. they match the ones in the other photos.

I have a feeling that the team in hoops and dark shorts may well be Kilmarnock.

BTW - the "tall ship" on visiting the docks on page 4 isn't actually a "Tall ship" as such. She's the Italian Navy training ship "Amerigo Vespucci" and she's visited leith a few times in her career. She's steam-powered as well as fully-rigged for sail. She visited in 1980. Don't know if she's been back since.

blairwallace
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
can really see the slope in the last photo! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
It's not clear from the picture, but did the Edinburgh select play in Hibs strips, or did the Yam players wear their own tops (kind of like the all star game in baseball).

Also - why no Leith Athletic players?

banarc7062
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Look at the crowds....ah the memories:thumbsup:

--------
05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
It's not clear from the picture, but did the Edinburgh select play in Hibs strips, or did the Yam players wear their own tops (kind of like the all star game in baseball).

Also - why no Leith Athletic players?

I think I remember my dad telling me the team played in the home strips of the host club - green-and-white at ER, maroon at Tynie - and the opposite-coloured stockings.

Leith Athletic (the Zebras) folded and resigned from the League in 1954. They played in black and white stripes - black and white were the colours of the old Leith Town livery. the old Leith trams were black and white.

Kojock
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Don't think so. Check the adverts on the front of the stand. they match the ones in the other photos.

On page three, photos 3 & 5 are Tynie (look at the King George 1V Whisky advert). Photo 4 is possibly ER :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I think I remember my dad telling me the team played in the home strips of the host club - green-and-white at ER, maroon at Tynie - and the opposite-coloured stockings.

Leith Athletic (the Zebras) folded and resigned from the League in 1954. They played in black and white stripes - black and white were the colours of the old Leith Town livery. the old Leith trams were black and white.

Amazing to think of either set of fans accepting one of their own in the other lot's strip these days. There would be a barrage of open letters, death threats, and talk of big money coming in to sort things out. The Hibs fans would just open another can of lager.

The only time in my life I can remember an Edinburgh select was in 1977 against Bayern Munich, and the Edinburgh team played in black and white.

iwasthere1972
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Amazing to think of either set of fans accepting one of their own in the other lot's strip these days. There would be a barrage of open letters, death threats, and talk of big money coming in to sort things out. The Hibs fans would just open another can of lager.

The only time in my life I can remember an Edinburgh select was in 1977 against Bayern Munich, and the Edinburgh team played in black and white.

According to the Bounce (post #6) it was August 1985. Edinburgh won 1-0.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?77050-Edinburgh-Select-v-Bayern-Munich&p=932249&viewfull=1

--------
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
On page three, photos 3 & 5 are Tynie (look at the King George 1V Whisky advert). Photo 4 is possibly ER :confused:

You're right - sorry.

:idiot:

I think 4's Tynie as well. They all look like the same stand to me.

iwasthere1972
05-09-2010, 10:10 PM
You're right - sorry.

:idiot:

I think 4's Tynie as well. They all look like the same stand to me.

Not sure about 3 and 5 but think 4 is Easter Road. Could have been against Morton. It was long before my time but it may ring a bell with you. :wink:

Well at least in 60 years time when hibs.netters are looking back at photos of Easter Road and Tynecastle from 2010 there will be no doubt which is which. :greengrin

Liberal Hibby
05-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Don't agree - the stand is too big. Photo 5 is deceptive, but they are the front of the Albion Road tenements - not the backs of the Gorgie Road ones.

blairwallace
05-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't agree - the stand is too big. Photo 5 is deceptive, but they are the front of the Albion Road tenements - not the backs of the Gorgie Road ones.

plus on pictute 5 you can see the ticket office, does anyone know what the TO use to be?

Peevemor
05-09-2010, 11:01 PM
plus on pictute 5 you can see the ticket office, does anyone know what the TO use to be?

Efficient? :dunno:

hibernator
05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
All look the same stand to me , just different perspectives I think !

(((Fergus)))
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Plus there's a championship flag being unfurled in photo 5. Amazing to think that used to happen there...!

Phil D. Rolls
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
According to the Bounce (post #6) it was August 1985. Edinburgh won 1-0.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?77050-Edinburgh-Select-v-Bayern-Munich&p=932249&viewfull=1

A different match - the one I am thinking of was late 70s and could have been linked to the Queen's Silver Jubilee. There was a series of events celebrating Edinburgh's twin cities, and I think the other thing Munich sent was the famous beer tent in Princes Street Gardens.

In the days of Skol and Harp lager, genuine Pilsner and an oompah band was a real culture shock. Things were never the same again.

heretoday
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Plus there's a championship flag being unfurled in photo 5. Amazing to think that used to happen there...!

Shame the lensman didn't have a slightly livelier sense of occasion there!

KWJ
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I seem to mind a half hibs half hearts strip in the early 90's. Did we not play a half celtic half rangers team in their half strip?

Peevemor
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I seem to mind a half hibs half hearts strip in the early 90's. Did we not play a half celtic half rangers team in their half strip?

Early 90s - :no way: I don't remember that (and I think I would have!).