PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a ford focus but got a problem - help?

HibeeDaz6270
25-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I just bought a ford focus 1.6 zetec. We went and viewed the car last night , took it a test drive and agreed a price. Everything seemed fine. We put down a deposit then went and picked it up today. We had a second check of the car today, and apart from the odd bit rust it all seemed fine. We noticed some oil, and asked about this, but it was parked next to a old banger and the seller said it wasnt this car it was that. Me nor my dad know much about cars, had a quick check under the car and couldnt see much, and thought the guy seemed genuine enough.

Off we went. The car drives really well!.. Well pleased. We got the car from alloa and the time we were back in livingston it was making a bit of a noise. I had no idea what it was. I am driving along trying to stick my head out the window to see how loud and abnormal the noise is. I got home and then noticed what looked to be an oil leak.

I took the car to my uncle , who knows a bit more than us about cars. He took it a quick drive, checked oil etc. He believes it is the power assisted steering fluid, and believes it will be either the rack or pump. He says there is no way the boy would not have known this, as its become a fair bit of a leak. He reckons the boy filled it up before we test drive, and before we took the car home today. We asked if there was any problems etc, and he told us none. We phoned the boy back, and he denys all knowledge of it. He has my money and is not interested. So not alot i can do there now.

Now i never paid mega bucks for the car, I paid £825.00 for a 3door 1.6 ford focus zetec. Fairly high mileage of 114000. But car looks smart. Anyone any idea of how much it will cost to have a power assisted steering rack supplied and fitted?

So disapointed, as i previously had a brand new car on finance 6months ago which i gave up due to unemployment and ever since have put money away for a car, I now have to borrow money to get this fixed. I wish the boy could have had the decency to be honest! but i suppose he wouldnt have sold the car if he was.

Anyways, anyone had this problem before? or know a bit about cars and have an idea of price. cheers

hibsboy90
25-08-2010, 09:54 PM
As neither yourself or the person who viewed the car was an expert on cars, and a lie regarding the oil was made by the seller, you would be able to claim for a refund. As the seller has broken the contract you have. Especially as it would be obvious to the seller there was a problem.

However instead of raising a civil matter, if it's not comparably expensive, get it repaired. Possibly tell the seller you may raise an action if he doesnt contribute to the repair?

Too late now but since if you buy from a private seller, you pretty much buy as seen, unless the seller should know a fault, or mention it. There needs to be some misrepresentation for the contract to be void. Always best to buy off the likes of arnold clark etc.

Jack
25-08-2010, 11:09 PM
As described.
My honest back street mechanic has just told me you're looking at £400.
Thats if you can find an honest back street mechanic.
Sorry.

Judas Iscariot
26-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Sold as seen, no refunds etc..

Try some power steering stop leak in the fluid reservoir, that might help and is a whole lot cheaper than a new rack or pump!!

Groathillgrump
26-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your problem, HibeeDaz6270. There are some unscrupulous *******s out there!

Don't know if you're a member of the AA but if you are you could have arranged for them to do an inspection before purchase.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring-advice/vehicle-inspections.html

I've never used the service myself and have no idea of the cost but I'm sure it's worth it for peace of mind. In fact, if you're ever buying privately again just lie to the the seller about arranging an AA inspection and I'm sure that'll encourage them to 'fess up about any potential problems!

Allant1981
26-08-2010, 03:45 PM
As neither yourself or the person who viewed the car was an expert on cars, and a lie regarding the oil was made by the seller, you would be able to claim for a refund. As the seller has broken the contract you have. Especially as it would be obvious to the seller there was a problem.

However instead of raising a civil matter, if it's not comparably expensive, get it repaired. Possibly tell the seller you may raise an action if he doesnt contribute to the repair?

Too late now but since if you buy from a private seller, you pretty much buy as seen, unless the seller should know a fault, or mention it. There needs to be some misrepresentation for the contract to be void. Always best to buy off the likes of arnold clark etc.

You dont have a contract if you buy from a private seller im afraid. When buying privately you are buying it as seen. Best thing to do is take a mechanic. Not much help to the guy this time but im afraid there aint much you can do and there is no way to prove that the seller knew of the problem before he sold it

hibsboy90
26-08-2010, 09:20 PM
You dont have a contract if you buy from a private seller im afraid. When buying privately you are buying it as seen. Best thing to do is take a mechanic. Not much help to the guy this time but im afraid there aint much you can do and there is no way to prove that the seller knew of the problem before he sold it
A contract still exists, albeit a verbal one, (when you get on a bus, or buy a EEN from a seller on the street, a contract still exists) and quite a loose one at that. However thats why when you buy a car privately you should be firing off plenty of questions about the car, it's performance and any problems the seller knows of. General statements by the seller such as 'it runs well' are good for the seller.

But yes, if few questions asked, and the seller doesnt have a higher knowledge of cars than average, it is sold as seen.

barcahibs
26-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Might not be as bad as it seems. I had a focus as well and had a problem a wee while ago with it dripping fluid from under the bonnet. Being clueless about cars I studiously ignored it for several weeks :greengrin

Eventually people got fed up of having little black patches on their drive and I was made to take it to a mechanic - on the way there the oil warning light flicked on for the first time now thats what i call timing!

Turns out it was oil I was dripping. As far as I understand it was caused by some sort of faulty valve which was releasing tiny quantities of oil for some reason. Apparently its a very common problem with focuses. The guy had the car for an afternoon and took something like £25 for the job.