PDA

View Full Version : Intensive driving courses

Pretty Boy
20-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Just started a new job and on accepting one of the conditions was that i learned to drive ASAP. Was looking into doing one of the intensive driving courses.

Anyone on here been on one or know of anyone who has been? Any recommendations? Are they a scam?

deeks01
20-08-2010, 08:06 PM
was looking into this as well as my lessons are dragging in , only managing one every 2 weeks , used to be every month , and its getting on my nerves like. I'll no be passed for ages the way its going. anyway i decided they were all a scam and waayy to expensive , you'd be better cutting a deal with a driving instructor to get a discount on say 20 odd lessons on a block booking and have 2-3 a week till you pass. Theres probably a lot of di's on here more qualified to answer your question though :)

Pretty Boy
20-08-2010, 08:16 PM
was looking into this as well as my lessons are dragging in , only managing one every 2 weeks , used to be every month , and its getting on my nerves like. I'll no be passed for ages the way its going. anyway i decided they were all a scam and waayy to expensive , you'd be better cutting a deal with a driving instructor to get a discount on say 20 odd lessons on a block booking and have 2-3 a week till you pass. Theres probably a lot of di's on here more qualified to answer your question though :)

Certainly appears they are a bit of a scam. Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.

Greentinted
20-08-2010, 10:50 PM
While not having personal experience of these intensive driving courses, I have known several people who have gone down this route and they all passed first time. Had I been able to afford it back in the day, I would have chosen this option as learning to drive (as in the basics) becomes a long drawn out tedious affair which does somewhat grate on the nerves.

Woody1985
21-08-2010, 05:23 PM
My girlfriend and her friend went down to Blackpool so that one of them could do the test.

They got there on the Friday, the course was Sat, Sun with the test on the Monday afternoon. She failed (gf's friend).

MSK
21-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Certainly appears they are a bit of a scam. Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.Why do you think they are a scam ..?..im sure if you go with a reputable/reccomended company then you will be fine ..

A former colleague of mines Son done this a few years ago..he went to Dundee to do his ..passed his test first time ...:agree:

jabis
22-08-2010, 09:50 AM
get your theory test booked NOW(there's a waiting list !)and find a good driving instructor :greengrin

or PM me :wink:

PiemanP
24-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Why would they be a scam?

I did one of these to pass my test. Went from never having been in a car to being able to fully drive in 4 days.....albeit failed first time, but that was my fault not the Driving instructors. Did it with the edinburgh Driving School, well recomended :thumbsup:

speedy_gonzales
25-08-2010, 05:43 PM
There was a company in Kirkcaldy called 'Pro-Scot' that used to do these intensive courses. My mate done it up there and passed first time, he even travelled from Bathgate as it was a lot cheaper!

ArabHibee
25-08-2010, 07:53 PM
There was a company in Kirkcaldy called 'Pro-Scot' that used to do these intensive courses. My mate done it up there and passed first time, he even travelled from Bathgate as it was a lot cheaper!

www.pro-scot.com (http://www.pro-scot.com)

I used them for lessons to learn how to ride a motorbike and passed first time in July this year. Didn't take the intensive course but do know that they do them for both cars and bikes.

And if their car instructors are as good as their bike instructors, you should have no problems. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Pretty Boy
26-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the help folks.

Done a little bit more research and it appears there are a few of these courses which are a bit dodgy. Generally tends to be the residential one but a simple google search sees them named and shamed pretty quickly.

Managed to find a guy locally who came highly recommended and now had 2 lessons with him and all appears to be going well. :thumbsup:

Allant1981
26-08-2010, 03:50 PM
There are always good and bad things to come out of these courses. My mate and sister both done them in the army and they passed their tests in a week, now both have them had never driven a car in their puff but passed first time, they are crap drivers to be honest and i think this was down to not having a lot of lessons before the course. The good thing about these courses are for folk who have a had a few lesson beforehand and want it done pretty quickly

LancashireHibby
27-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I did one that started on the Sunday and had my test on the Friday afternoon - it's easily 8/9 hours a day solid lessons, with the emphasis on 'intensive'; it can get more than a bit stressful if you're struggling to pick up certain aspects. I failed my test the first time, but tried again a fortnight later and passed, having had no lessons in between and just a couple of hours in the car before my test. Would go for it if it's a case of wanting/needing to pass now rather than over several weeks, but it's mentally exhausting to cram so much information in such a short space of time.