PDA

View Full Version : Mary kings close

hibeenicol
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Has anyone done the mary kings close tour or the witches tours. Thinking of doin them with the kids over the festival period.

If so are they any good and worth the money?

Jay
02-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Has anyone done the mary kings close tour or the witches tours. Thinking of doin them with the kids over the festival period.

If so are they any good and worth the money?

Dont know but would also be interested to hear as my 8 year old is desperate to go. His dad would have to take him. I was thinking about Halloween, he would love it!

stu in nottingham
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I've visited Mary King's Close on a couple of occasions in the past and I found it very interesting and atmospheric. Wrote a few words about it here and a few people have pitched in with their own comments:

Historic Edinburgh: Mary King’s Close (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/historic-edinburgh-mary-kings-close/)

MSK
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

If so are they any good and worth the money?Havent done MKC but went on a "ghost" tour to the Vaults & a few haunting places before finishing up at Cannongate graveyard where we entered a burial vault & could see the bars above all bent where grave robbers tried to get to the body ..bloody eerie..its fun too as the guides are all amateur actors & they put on a good act ...:greengrin

http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/ghost-tours.html

Edinburgh dungeons are a good laugh too ..the vertical drop is pretty hair raising (if you have hair that is :greengrin)....

MSK
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I've visited Mary King's Close on a couple of occasions in the past and I found it very interesting and atmospheric. Wrote a few words about it here and a few people have pitched in with their own comments:

Historic Edinburgh: Mary King’s Close (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/historic-edinburgh-mary-kings-close/)That's an excellent read Stu ..cheers mate ..:thumbsup:

Jack
02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
If it’s a choice do MKC.

If you're doing them both do MKC last.

The tours I found a bit bleak and short of substance while at the same time still very interesting to see what lies beneath our streets. I didn’t get a sense of history or life at the time they were part of everyday life. It all seemed a little too made up to fit what the tours had access to rather than the other way round, if you know what I mean???

MKC on the other hand is real history right there in your face. You can quite easily in some parts imagine, without much imagination, you are part of that world.

stu in nottingham
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
That's an excellent read Stu ..cheers mate ..:thumbsup:

Cheers Kenny :)

MKC on the other hand is real history right there in your face. You can quite easily in some parts imagine, without much imagination, you are part of that world.

This is exactly the feeling I got Jack. My advise to anyone is to draw away from the group and spend a few moments in silence drinking it all in if you can. It's quite easy to imagine yourself back in those days.

.Sean.
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
This kind of stuff really does fascinate me. I definately must take in the Mary King's Close tour and I fancy taking a trip to The Vaults sometime.

Some cracking reads Stu :aok:

Houchy
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
What's the one that got closed down for a bit due to people gtting scratched etc. Might have been the chamber at Greyfriers Bobby?
Sounds stupid, but I'd really like to try that one as I have to be the worlds biggest sceptic when it comes to ghosts and stuff.:agree::casper:

Gatecrasher
02-08-2010, 08:06 PM
went there for a trip in high school for history and Loved it :thumbsup: been meaning to go back but never get round to it :rolleyes:

stu in nottingham
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
This kind of stuff really does fascinate me. I definately must take in the Mary King's Close tour and I fancy taking a trip to The Vaults sometime.

Some cracking reads Stu :aok:

Cheers Sean, thanks buddy.

What's the one that got closed down for a bit due to people gtting scratched etc. Might have been the chamber at Greyfriers Bobby?
Sounds stupid, but I'd really like to try that one as I have to be the worlds biggest sceptic when it comes to ghosts and stuff.:agree::casper:

There seems to be a lot of interest in Mary Kings's Close and similar sites due to the paranormal stuff and that's fair enough Houchy. I just find the historical aspect of seeing where the like of where and how my Edinburgh predecessors lived a wee bit fascinating and particularly touching and grounding. Whatever one gets out of these things it's all worthy mate.

Jack
03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Can I just say I know nothing about this company.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/edinburgh?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_45_0_0_0&utm_source=Deal_general_newsletter&utm_medium=All_Cities&utm_content=Initial_Version&utm_campaign=Varies

£15 instead of £65 for a thrilling ghost tour through Edinburgh's oldest and most mysterious sites with Paranormal Investigations Scotland - Save 77%

When there's something strange (http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/slimer.jpg) in your neighbourhood...who you gonna call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHFVTQKqdQ)? Call Groupon! Okay maybe not call us, our customer services team are an easily scared bunch and we're not sure we can handle or the reports of ghouls and ghosts. Instead check out this fantastic offer we have for you today: for just £15 instead of the usual £65 you can go on an thrilling ghost tour with Paranormal Investigations Scotland.

Paranormal Investigations Scotland invites you to embark on an evening of ghost hunting and spiritual contact in some of Scotland's most notoriously haunted locations! Uncover some of Scotland’s darkest secrets narrated by those who once walked this earth, through medium such as Ouija boards, table tipping and much more. The team of experienced paranormal investigators will ensure that your experiments are conducted safely and that you have a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining night. Each of the vigils is designed for beginners and experienced investigators alike!

I'm posting the link only because its related to the subject and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if you register and purchase I'll get £6! :greengrin

Jay
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Can I just say I know nothing about this company.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/edinburgh?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_45_0_0_0&utm_source=Deal_general_newsletter&utm_medium=All_Cities&utm_content=Initial_Version&utm_campaign=Varies

[/COLOR]

I'm posting the link only because its related to the subject and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if you register and purchase I'll get £6! :greengrin

Do you think they would take 8 year olds? :greengrin My son is absolutely fascinated by it all and records Most Haunted and Ghost hunters every week.

Most Haunted Live at Halloween is his absolute fave and he is counting the weeks til it comes around again.

When we were in London he wanted to do their advertised ghosty things but we didn't have time (or the inclination to be honest) se I promised him he could do some Edinburgh stuff and he asked his dad if he would take him at Halloween.
Am I a bad mother?