PDA

View Full Version : Player Wages

woodythehibee
31-07-2010, 10:20 AM
After watching The Football Years, about the major spending on wages, how much were Hibs paying our big names in that era?

Players like:

- Sauzee
- Latapy
- Zitelli
- John O'Neil (Sandy Clarke said it was a big offer for John that St J couldn't get close to)

1two
31-07-2010, 10:24 AM
After watching The Football Years, about the major spending on wages, how much were Hibs paying our big names in that era?

Players like:

- Sauzee
- Latapy
- Zitelli
- John O'Neil (Sandy Clarke said it was a big offer for John that St J couldn't get close to)

I heard Sauzee was on £8k but not sure if thats true or not

Godsahibby
31-07-2010, 10:29 AM
At one point Tam McManus was on £6k a week.

tamig
31-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I heard Sauzee was on £8k but not sure if thats true or not

:agree:think that's right.

Don Giovanni
31-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Dont know where this information came from but I believe that John O'Neil was on 3k basic & 3k appearance, possibly plus other bonuses (ie wins, goals etc).

Thought this was also why he didnt feature much towards the end of his time with Hibs - we were skint by then & whilst 3k for a guy to sit in the stand is bad, 6k was crippling the club.

Always liked John O'Neil. Crackin' wee player back in the day...

RickyS
31-07-2010, 11:52 AM
At one point Tam McManus was on £6k a week.

anyone else remember when wee russell was at his best and there were stories of the bigot brothers being after him, whoever was in charge here at the time said Hibs would match/better what he was offered to keep him?

aberhibsfc
31-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Dont know where this information came from but I believe that John O'Neil was on 3k basic & 3k appearance, possibly plus other bonuses (ie wins, goals etc).

Thought this was also why he didnt feature much towards the end of his time with Hibs - we were skint by then & whilst 3k for a guy to sit in the stand is bad, 6k was crippling the club.

:agree:

Good technique, and determined player. I'd love someone with that ability and grit in the squad now. I was also thinking back to Keith Wright, he's the last real big front man that I can remember. That's not to disrespect O'Connor whom I believe whilst a sizable chap, is not as physical a type of player.

Imagine a player of Keith's quality up front, he'd have pulled that defence around the park.

pacorosssco
31-07-2010, 11:57 AM

John O'Neil was excellent for Hibs. Great player

Tam Mcmanus not so great

Top wages were paid at that time and quickly racked up a debt half the size if our neighbours current shortfall.

aberhibsfc
31-07-2010, 12:04 PM
anyone else remember when wee russell was at his best and there were stories of the bigot brothers being after him, whoever was in charge here at the time said Hibs would match/better what he was offered to keep him?

I think that would still have been Petrie, but that's when the SPL was bouyed by some decent SKY tv money. That's went tits up and all SPL clubs have suffered the consequences, Petrie was one of the first to identify the financial impact and that's why O'Neill didn't complete his playing time with us due to add on's and we turned up at Hampden with youngsters.

Latapy would probably have been happy to stay at ER, a very laid back chap, unfortunately so laid back that McLeish lost patience with him and wanted him out the door. It wasn't about money.

The one that really bamboozled me was Lovell, an underestimated but effective player in the team (this was when we could go to teams like Reading etc and out-finance them for players), when Hibs started to review contracts etc we couldn't offer as a good a contract, however at the time I was told that Livingston offered him 3 x what we were prepared to. I know our wages were not as high, but I think a first team player would still have been on a grand or 2, for Livi to come in and offer 3x as much just boggles. No wonder they were in a mess.

It really got on my goat that they had a squad of experienced pro's (about to be unemployed) turned up and won the cup by default whilst we took the sensible financial approach and fielded youngsters. We lost, they won in front of their 5k fans (what's the point). Clubs in severe debt get away with murder whilst others lose out as they take responsibility.

RickyS
31-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I think that would still have been Petrie, but that's when the SPL was bouyed by some decent SKY tv money. That's went tits up and all SPL clubs have suffered the consequences, Petrie was one of the first to identify the financial impact and that's why O'Neill didn't complete his playing time with us due to add on's and we turned up at Hampden with youngsters.

Latapy would probably have been happy to stay at ER, a very laid back chap, unfortunately so laid back that McLeish lost patience with him and wanted him out the door. It wasn't about money.

The one that really bamboozled me was Lovell, an underestimated but effective player in the team (this was when we could go to teams like Reading etc and out-finance them for players), when Hibs started to review contracts etc we couldn't offer as a good a contract, however at the time I was told that Livingston offered him 3 x what we were prepared to. I know our wages were not as high, but I think a first team player would still have been on a grand or 2, for Livi to come in and offer 3x as much just boggles. No wonder they were in a mess.

It really got on my goat that they had a squad of experienced pro's (about to be unemployed) turned up and won the cup by default whilst we took the sensible financial approach and fielded youngsters. We lost, they won in front of their 5k fans (what's the point). Clubs in severe debt get away with murder whilst others lose out as they take responsibility.

Spot on, cost cutting amongst other things lost us that final. I normally don't admit to remembering it cos I get a sharp pain in my chest when I think back to how devastated I was.

Just Jimmy
31-07-2010, 12:30 PM

exactly, Herts did it against Gretna, add to the myth of the 'Gretna fairytale' which was just a ****ty wee team with no history outspending your East Fifes and Dundees of the world to climb the divisions. It's cheating pure and simple and it still pisses me right off that we lost that final for that reason.

Clubs who are in masses of debt should be forced to play players who fit into a wage structure they can afford, be that £10k a week or £10 a week, then they would find their natural place in the footballing wrld, not undeserved due to the cheating tactics they employ.

It really needs a 'big' team to go completely tits up for it to start the domino effect and I hope it happens soon.

WhileTheChief..
31-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Was Lex Gold not chairman back then at the start of the SPL?

Im pretty sure he was one of the ones involved with the SPL TV deal before he eventually left us to become Chief Exec of the SPL itself.

It was because of the massive debts that RP was brought in. Looking back, the year in the 1st div prob stopped us spending even more and was actually quite an enjoyable season.

tamig
31-07-2010, 12:42 PM
exactly, Herts did it against Gretna, add to the myth of the 'Gretna fairytale' which was just a ****ty wee team with no history outspending your East Fifes and Dundees of the world to climb the divisions.

Think that's a bit unfair dissing Dundee like that. A club with a fine history.

Both Gretna and Livi got there comeuppance though. Who knows where/how/when it will all end up at the PBS? Wages late again the other week.

Winston Ingram
31-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I remember Gary Smith signing a new deal with us and stating he stunned by the size of the pay cut he had to take

tamig
31-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Im pretty sure he was one of the ones involved with the SPL TV deal before he eventually left us to become Chief Exec of the SPL itself.

It was because of the massive debts that RP was brought in. Looking back, the year in the 1st div prob stopped us spending even more and was actually quite an enjoyable season.

The season in the first divsion was actually the start of our big spending spree! That's when the Sauzees and Latas came in and we continued that through to De la Cruz. Think it was around 01-02 when the ***** hit the fan and the cost cutting drive began.

Perspective
31-07-2010, 12:56 PM
It was a shame to see good pros like John O'Neil and Paul Fenwick treated like that towards the end of contracts both parties had signed in good faith.

Been thinking all day how much we miss someone with the substance of a John O'Neil, Uli Laursen or Franck Sauzee (from that team). Guys who stood up to be counted when the going got tough instead of hiding, who could back up that commitment with genuine football ability.

I think the squad at present has a lot of nice footballers and some good characters, but few that have both qualities.

Pretty Boy
31-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Lex Gold resigned after our relegation season. I think it was Tom O'Malley and Malcolm McPherson in charge during our 'adventure' in the 1st division.

Could be totally wrong though.

FranckSuzy
31-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Lex Gold resigned after our relegation season. I think it was Tom O'Malley and Malcolm McPherson in charge during our 'adventure' in the 1st division.

Could be totally wrong though.

I'm pretty sure it was Douglas Crombe that was in charge then and boasted of the adventure to be had following Hibs in the first division...:confused: :rolleyes:

Beefster
31-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Douglas Crombe that was in charge then and boasted of the adventure to be had following Hibs in the first division...:confused: :rolleyes:

It was Gold in the season we got relegated. He then left at the end of that season.

Cromb left in 1997.

FranckSuzy
31-07-2010, 07:44 PM
It was Gold in the season we got relegated. He then left at the end of that season.

Cromb left in 1997.

:aok: Thanks for clearing that up. My mind's playing tricks on me :greengrin

The Silver Fox
31-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Although players like Frank and John O'Neil are missed the level of wages at that time was disproportionate to the turnover and size of club. Hibs are in much better shape now and The Tache has done well to steer us in that direction.

Most of the players were way overpaid in that era. Most teams have checked back and pulled in the purse strings. Scottish football still has a way to go before finding it's true level. Count ourselves lucky as for our near neighbours, the penny is dropping like a p*ssed elephant 5 years too late.

hibsfan7
31-07-2010, 08:16 PM
The story going about at the time was that latapy was offered £12,000
per week to sign a new contract then he blew it with the little escapade with dwight york

renato
31-07-2010, 11:03 PM

Whilst I'm sure the money was a factor, Archie was pushed out the door as much as he walked. He told me McLeish had massive issues with him, very unjust ones. The team were playing some great stuff and Lovell became a key member of that team, however McLeish was determined to bring him down for whatever reason.

A real shame as he proved, when he went to Livi, that he still had a good few years as an excellent central midfielder in him.

joejoefaemexico
01-08-2010, 09:19 AM
exactly, Herts did it against Gretna, add to the myth of the 'Gretna fairytale' which was just a ****ty wee team with no history outspending your East Fifes and Dundees of the world to climb the divisions. It's cheating pure and simple and it still pisses me right off that we lost that final for that reason.

Clubs who are in masses of debt should be forced to play players who fit into a wage structure they can afford, be that £10k a week or £10 a week, then they would find their natural place in the footballing wrld, not undeserved due to the cheating tactics they employ.

It really needs a 'big' team to go completely tits up for it to start the domino effect and I hope it happens soon.

Obviously in extreme circumstances teams can cease to exist after blowing millions to win a cup, but there is an arguement that for instance if hearts were to go into administration after winning the scottish cup and ending up in a situation like livingston (getting relegated to 3rd div.), it could take a few years to recover and make it back to spl but give it 5 or so years and in the grand scheme of things they would still be an spl club with another scottish cup win in the history books.

although i am over the moon with the financial position with hibs (new stand, training centre etc) given the 2 options i would definately think about it!

Phil D. Rolls
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM

It was Tom O'Malley who was in charge, and it was he who coined the phrase "great adventure". He had never sought job but did it out of a sense of duty to Hibs. I remember he used to occasionally mix with supporters in the North Stand.

lEXO
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Whilst I'm sure the money was a factor, Archie was pushed out the door as much as he walked. He told me McLeish had massive issues with him, very unjust ones. The team were playing some great stuff and Lovell became a key member of that team, however McLeish was determined to bring him down for whatever reason.

A real shame as he proved, when he went to Livi, that he still had a good few years as an excellent central midfielder in him.
Lovell told a newspaper after our cup final defeat to celtic that Mcleish told him he,d got some inside info that Bobby Petta was starting for Celtic, and that is why he was starting Ian Murray at right back.I dont think Mcleish was to happy with that.It,s a pity cos i did,nt mind Lovell, and do agree that he was under rated in that side.

jgl07
01-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Lex Gold was chairman and resigned as soon as relegation was confirmed.

He was working to develop the SPL and Hibs did not make it into the inaugural SPL.

renato
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Lovell told a newspaper after our cup final defeat to celtic that Mcleish told him he,d got some inside info that Bobby Petta was starting for Celtic, and that is why he was starting Ian Murray at right back.I dont think Mcleish was to happy with that.It,s a pity cos i did,nt mind Lovell, and do agree that he was under rated in that side.

I vaguely recall that, good point if true but I think this may have been as a result of previous agro between the two.

One story (of many) that stuck out was the near faultless 0-3 game at Fir Park earlier that season. One of our best performances under McLeish and every player that day was awesome. Archie walks off the pitch as McLeish is congratulating all the players with smiles, high fives and praise, only for him to turn round to Stuart and give him a rollicking for a (rare) misplaced pass during the game!!

Anyway, all in the past, the Ginger Judas gave us some great times and a disappointing ending, with the loss of our talisman wee Russell (albeit he didn't help himself). Typical Hibs I guess, promise so much yet deliver so little :greengrin

pacorosssco
01-08-2010, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=renato;2531321]I vaguely recall that, good point if true but I think this may have been as a result of previous agro between the two.

One story (of many) that stuck out was the near faultless 0-3 game at Fir Park earlier that season. One of our best performances under McLeish and every player that day was awesome. Archie walks off the pitch as McLeish is congratulating all the players with smiles, high fives and praise, only for him to turn round to Stuart and give him a rollicking for a (rare) misplaced pass during the game!!

Anyway, all in the past, the Ginger Judas gave us some great times and a disappointing ending, with the loss of our talisman wee Russell (albeit he didn't help himself). Typical Hibs I guess, promise so much yet deliver so little :greengrin

Apparently I was told from a source inside ER at the time that Mcleish wasnt all that popular with players and the reason behind Zitelli swift departure was that manager and player were 'doing' the same bird. Mcleish didnt like Zitelli cutting his grass and Zitelli refused to step aside as Mcleish was/is married.

sesoim
01-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Players like:

- Sauzee
- Latapy
- Zitelli

According to newspapers (and my good memory):

Sauzee was on £3k from 99 to 01 an then he signed a £6k contract for 2001 to 2003.

Not sure about Latapy, but as he signed his only contract while in the first Division, I would think £3k.

I think Zitelli was on around £6k, that's why Sauzee was pushing quite rightly for a big wage rise.

O'Neill was apparently on a guaranteed £2k plus bonuses including £3k per game. This is the reason we stopped playing him in 2002/03 - basically we couldn't afford to pay him £5k a week when he wasn't really very good after Sauzee and the other best players left.

FranckSuzy
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
It was Tom O'Malley who was in charge, and it was he who coined the phrase "great adventure". He had never sought job but did it out of a sense of duty to Hibs. I remember he used to occasionally mix with supporters in the North Stand.

He was working to develop the SPL and Hibs did not make it into the inaugural SPL.

:cool2: Thanks for clearing that up :greengrin

sesoim
01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
The story going about at the time was that latapy was offered £12,000
per week to sign a new contract then he blew it with the little escapade with dwight york

I heard Rangers were offering him £10k and we couldn't match that. Then the escapade with Yorke finished any chance of us agreeing terms with him.

There was no way we could afford to keep him, but it still frustrates me that Bobby Williamson didn't try to re-sign him when he became available in 2003. It's unlikely Dundee Utd or Falkirk could afford to pay him better wages, even if we were in debt.

The Silver Fox
01-08-2010, 09:47 PM
In his last few years Latapy was on £1000 a week basic at Falkirk and he was the highest paid player. This would not include signing on fee or bonuses.

sven nil
02-08-2010, 03:43 AM

Think you will find that mr (ordinary player who lucky to be in a good team) Lovell told the newpapers everything he was the dressing room mole,Maybe thats the reason Alex wanted shot.

Dr_Regal
02-08-2010, 04:09 AM
In his last few years Latapy was on £1000 a week basic at Falkirk and he was the highest paid player. This would not include signing on fee or bonuses.

Peanuts for probably the best player ive seen in a hibs shirt!

ulises_trotter
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
latapy was on 3k a week...

top wage at the club now is around 1800 a week topped up with signing on fees

California-Hibs
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
latapy was on 3k a week...

top wage at the club now is around 1800 a week topped up with signing on fees

Sorry, but i dont believe that for a second! The top earning figures ive heard are way above that! Anthony Stokes didnt walk away from Sunderland to be on that sort of wage i can assure you that, the same goes for Liam Miller, he's on a very good wage too.

M11BMO
02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but i dont believe that for a second! The top earning figures ive heard are way above that! Anthony Stokes didnt walk away from Sunderland to be on that sort of wage i can assure you that, the same goes for Liam Miller, he's on a very good wage too.

I concur. No way they would have signed for anything less than £3/4k. They seem to be the most common figures branded as being our "bracket." Rumour has it Miller is on nearer to £7k.

MacBean
02-08-2010, 10:34 AM
There are surely plenty of players out there that are available to Hibs and other teams in the SPL that would be paid between £3-6k a week. look at the leagues like Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia. We never hear of these clubs but their players are very technically gifted, and they cant be on huge out of our league wages.

Perspective
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Believe Ulises is along the right lines.

Hibs like to keep the salary levels down - but are prepared to pay substantial signing-on fees to compensate for a drop in wages.

The alleged one received by Alan O'Brien is heartbreaking.

RickyS
02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I heard Rangers were offering him £10k and we couldn't match that. Then the escapade with Yorke finished any chance of us agreeing terms with him.

There was no way we could afford to keep him, but it still frustrates me that Bobby Williamson didn't try to re-sign him when he became available in 2003. It's unlikely Dundee Utd or Falkirk could afford to pay him better wages, even if we were in debt.
:top marks

ulises_trotter
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
7k a week at hibs? £350k a year...??

yogi is supposedly on the top wage at hibs and thats how it should be IMHO even if he is no very good!

1two
02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Believe Ulises is along the right lines.

Hibs like to keep the salary levels down - but are prepared to pay substantial signing-on fees to compensate for a drop in wages.

The alleged one received by Alan O'Brien is heartbreaking.

How much was his heartbreaking fee mate?

Ernie Cobra
02-08-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm sure that happened after a defeat from Dunfermline, i can remember speaking to Russell, Dwight Yorke and Brian Lara in Edwards i think it was right after the game, my mate was moaning about lovells contribution to the game.....bought them a beer, they bought beer back and we went on our merry way.....we had a prior engagement with Michael Jordan, David Beckham and Mike Tyson in the Rutland :greengrin

California-Hibs
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I concur. No way they would have signed for anything less than £3/4k. They seem to be the most common figures branded as being our "bracket." Rumour has it Miller is on nearer to £7k.

Yep :agree:

Gregor
02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
The one that really bamboozled me was Lovell, an underestimated but effective player in the team (this was when we could go to teams like Reading etc and out-finance them for players), when Hibs started to review contracts etc we couldn't offer as a good a contract, however at the time I was told that Livingston offered him 3 x what we were prepared to

Archie's knee was borked and the Hibs weren't prepared to gamble on anything more that a 1 year extension. The gamble paid off the Lions though, because he we all know what happened that season.

Gregor
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Lex turned up at Morton for the opening game 1st Div game and stood behind the goals as paying supporter. I was quietly impressed that he had the balls to turn up considering the position his tenureship had placed us in. Stayed right to the end when Lavety somwhat inevitably got his goal.

lyonhibs
02-08-2010, 08:22 PM
from a mate who saw the details of the money he receivd from Hibs as part of his job, u cud buy - ahem - a LOT of penny chews with his signing on fee...