PDA

View Full Version : The Damned United

Betty Boop
18-07-2010, 07:26 PM
This is on tonight at 9 on BBC2. Anybody seen this, and if so is it any good ? I thought Michael Sheen was brilliant in Frost/Nixon so I will tune in to see his performance anyway. :greengrin

marinello59
18-07-2010, 07:29 PM
If it is half as good as the book it will be worth watching. :thumbsup:

Betty Boop
18-07-2010, 07:35 PM
If it is half as good as the book it will be worth watching. :thumbsup:

Great ! That's my evening's viewing sorted ! :greengrin

.Sean.
18-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Well worth a watch, got the dvd and wasn't dissapointed.

Steve-O
19-07-2010, 08:33 AM
It's good :agree:

Pretty Boy
19-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Good watch.

A lot of the events are fictionalised or exagerated, the author of the book eventually admitted as much and various people involved or related to the film have said as much but a decent film nonethless.

marinello59
19-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Good watch.

A lot of the events are fictionalised or exagerated, the author of the book eventually admitted as much and various people involved or related to the film have said as much but a decent film nonethless.

I think the author called it faction. :greengrin
A different feel to it from the original book but that was inevitable given how much of the book went on in the the fictional Clough's head. The film may be rather closer to the truth than the book was. The actual TV clash with Revie depicted at the end is worth trying to find on YouTube as it is absolutely riveting stuff. There is no way that todays bland talking heads would take part in anything like it.
I am pretty sure Stu in Nottingham posted a link to it several months ago so it does exist.

we are hibs
19-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I think the author called it faction. :greengrin
A different feel to it from the original book but that was inevitable given how much of the book went on in the the fictional Clough's head. The film may be rather closer to the truth than the book was. The actual TV clash with Revie depicted at the end is worth trying to find on YouTube as it is absolutely riveting stuff. There is no way that todays bland talking heads would take part in anything like it.
I am pretty sure Stu in Nottingham posted a link to it several months ago so it does exist.

hearts are metioned in it are the not

CropleyWasGod
19-07-2010, 01:09 PM
hearts are metioned in it are the not

Yup.

Dave Mackay was thinking about finishing his career with them before Clough took him to Derby.

MSK
19-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I thought it was fantastic, quite funny at times too, Cloughie was certainly a larger than life character & sadly that is what seems to be missing from football these days, guys with a driven passion for the game & certainly not frightened to speak their minds ..way too many cardbord cut oot/prima donna style managers these days ... :agree:

Betty Boop
19-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought it was fantastic, quite funny at times too, Cloughie was certainly a larger than life character & sadly that is what seems to be missing from football these days, guys with a driven passion for the game & certainly not frightened to speak their minds ..way too many cardbord cut oot/prima donna style managers these days ... :agree:

Me too ! How good was Michael Sheen, and Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor. I watched the documentary that followed the film, 'The Greatest Manager England never Had', very moving, so sad to see the demise of a great manager's career. All in all, a great night's viewing. By the way, how dirty were Leeds! :bitchy:

Future17
20-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Me too ! How good was Michael Sheen, and Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor. I watched the documentary that followed the film, 'The Greatest Manager England never Had', very moving, so sad to see the demise of a great manager's career. All in all, a great night's viewing. By the way, how dirty are Leeds! :bitchy:

Fixed that for you. :wink:

Betty Boop
20-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Fixed that for you. :wink:

I take they are still as bad then ? :greengrin

Ritchie
22-07-2010, 07:16 AM
finally got round to watching this as i recorded it the other night.

as a youngster :wink: i wasnt around during the 60's & 70's so never knew much about the whole clough era but i really enjoyed it.

funny to see how far the game has come since then with regards to pitches and how more physical the game used to be!

leeds were a dirty dirty team by the looks of it! :agree:

lyonhibs
22-07-2010, 09:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsRt2yG8Es

Dynamite.

Clough and Revie HATED each other.

stu in nottingham
23-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The below was my take on The Damned United after seeing it at the cinema when it was on release. I tried to measure it against what my perceptions were of the truth, seeing most of Clough and Taylor's managerial career unfold at very close quarters and latterly in speaking to Provided You Don't Kiss Me author, Duncan Hamilton. I must at this point recommend this intimate account of Clough by the former Nottingham Evening Post journalist as one really couldn't read anything else out there that get's as remotely close to the truth about Brian's life and times.

The film didn't alter my view on Clough in any way - that he was a complete managerial genius, albeit a somewhat flawed one. I was very happy to see that Peter Taylor, as portrayed by Timothy Spall received credit for his huge and influential part in the Clough story. People that know at close hand how Clough operated understand that Brian would never have achieved the same level of success without his wily and shrewd partner.

The Damned United (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/the-damned-united/#more-1189)

MSK
23-07-2010, 10:46 AM
The below was my take on The Damned United after seeing it at the cinema when it was on release. I tried to measure it against what my perceptions were of the truth, seeing most of Clough and Taylor's managerial career unfold at very close quarters and latterly in speaking to Provided You Don't Kiss Me author, Duncan Hamilton. I must at this point recommend this intimate account of Clough by the former Nottingham Evening Post journalist as one really couldn't read anything else out there that get's as remotely close to the truth about Brian's life and times.

The film didn't alter my view on Clough in any way - that he was a complete managerial genius, albeit a somewhat flawed one. I was very happy to see that Peter Taylor, as portrayed by Timothy Spall received credit for his huge and influential part in the Clough story. People that know at close hand how Clough operated understand that Brian would never have achieved the same level of success without his wily and shrewd partner.

The Damned United (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/the-damned-united/#more-1189):agree:..As much as the film was predomenantly (sp?) about Clough i actually found myself drawn to the importance of Taylor & how much a part he played in "Clough's" success ...in fact i actually watched it twice..you could have actually made a film of Taylor & such the importance of his role ..i particularly enjoyed the bit when Leeds came calling when they were abroad..Taylor stood his ground (Brighton) & later how Clough "grovelled" at Taylors home ..

There's no "I" in team as they say ...never a truer word spoken with this being the prime example...:agree:

stu in nottingham
23-07-2010, 11:58 AM
:agree:..As much as the film was predomenantly (sp?) about Clough i actually found myself drawn to the importance of Taylor & how much a part he played in "Clough's" success ...in fact i actually watched it twice..you could have actually made a film of Taylor & such the importance of his role ..i particularly enjoyed the bit when Leeds came calling when they were abroad..Taylor stood his ground (Brighton) & later how Clough "grovelled" at Taylors home ..

There's no "I" in team as they say ...never a truer word spoken with this being the prime example...:agree:

Yes K. I think a lot of people in Nottingham would have been happier to see a statue of the pair of them situated near the city's Old Market Square rather than just the (excellent) figure of the 'Master Manager'. The very greatest and most stunning Clough successes were when he worked in tandem with Peter Taylor. There's not much argument about that. Cloughie knew it too...

By most people's reckoning, the Clough-Taylor partnership was of a good cop-bad cop nature. Brian would sometimes (but not always) fiercely lace into players in a withering way. Taylor would step in afterwards and build the player up again. That's over-simplifying it though as it was undoubtedly a very complex relationship. Taylor was additionally a very humorous man but I never saw this come over in the media at any much time.

His huge strong point was in scouting for new players - nobody could spot the real thing like Peter Taylor. often these players would be unlikely-looking signings, players with personal off-the-pitch problems, players with a career in the doldrums through disciplinary or lifestyle issues.

Conversely, I knew a guy that grew up and went through schooldays in the Meadows district of Nottingham with Peter Taylor,( for he was a local man). He always claimed that he 'wouldn't trust Taylor as far as he could throw him'! I wouldn't know about that but I certainly know he held his own alongside Clough for a long, long time. There's not many individuals that could do that!