PDA

View Full Version : gym sessions training

Mister P
13-07-2010, 04:54 PM
after last nights great session (oooh Matron!!!!) whats folks thoughts of future gym sessions.

please vote on the poll and post any comments.

Gus
13-07-2010, 04:57 PM
after last nights great session (oooh Matron!!!!) whats folks thoughts of future gym sessions.

please vote on the poll and post any comments.

I think its a great idea - i have selected for the first monday on the month, but I am easy :wink: (as you found out last night)

Helps morale aswell imho :agree:

sauzee=legend
13-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I could get a few ppl in free to edinburgh academy gym on a monday if people are struggling with cash or struggling to get to ratho gym.

Nando™
13-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Up for it..

Judas Iscariot
13-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Once a fortnight is my preferred preference :agree:

Delboy*
13-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Im gonna try n be as transparent on this as possible, feel free to be offeneded....

If i was running this/a team :cool2: i would simply be saying that we will be hitting the gym at Ratho for training on the first monday of each month. end of. join in, be part of it, or dont. its up to u but it may well affect ur selection on a sunday if ur no coming along.

the reasons for my opinion?....

Im basing this on the hope that i can get us entry to the gym n sauna for £5 a scalp and thats wot we have been paying every other monday night at craigmount.

Venue isnt much difference by car and lifts can be arranged.

Team selection recently has favoured those turning up to training/craigmount so again this should still apply for gym sessions.

the banter was superb at the gym on monday and these things can really make a difference.

Also, when the dust settles, n it really comes down to it, ur either in wi what were doin or no. or maybe u like to say u are but only really on ur terms...

now, u can either agree with me or go away, have a wee cry n then post ur disaproval.

:agree:

Judas Iscariot
13-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Im gonna try n be as transparent on this as possible, feel free to be offeneded....

If i was running this/a team :cool2: i would simply be saying that we will be hitting the gym at Ratho for training on the first monday of each month. end of. join in, be part of it, or dont. its up to u but it may well affect ur selection on a sunday if ur no coming along.

Im basing this on the hope that i can get us entry to the gym n sauna for £5 a scalp and thats wot we have been paying every other monday night at craigmount.

Team selection recently has favoured those turning up to training/craigmount so again this should still apply for gym sessions.

the banter was superb at the gym on monday and these things can really make a difference.

Also, when the dust settles, n it really comes down to it, ur either in wi what were doin or no. or maybe u like to say u are but only really on ur terms...

now, u can either agree with me or go away, have a wee cry n then post ur disaproval.

:top marks

Thank **** for that :notworthy:

Scooter
13-07-2010, 10:05 PM

no going to cry about it cause im a big boy and i respect other folks ideas and thoughts. i wont be coming to the gym if that effects my selection then so be it. If i can save myself a £5 then great cause i need it. But no wonder people make silly excuse for no turning up cause as soon as your honest and open about what your doing you get this.

Judas Iscariot
13-07-2010, 10:13 PM
no going to cry about it cause im a big boy and i respect other folks ideas and thoughts. i wont be coming to the gym if that effects my selection then so be it. If i can save myself a £5 then great cause i need it. But no wonder people make silly excuse for no turning up cause as soon as your honest and open about what your doing you get this.

Get what mate?

If folk feel the need to make stupid excuses for choosing not to turn up to the teams designated training session then they can GTF as far as John, Derek and myself are concerned!

Delboy*
13-07-2010, 10:30 PM

ur quite sensitive

u wont be the only one that my post may apply to m8 so dont think i typed it out just for u.
Im quite aware that it may (or may not) seem like u are getting a bit of a roasting about this but thats not my intention, honestly.
thats just what i would do. there are quite a few things i wouldnt choose to do, like travel thru town to Holyrood for pre-season training when sighthill pitches are on my doorstep but i want to be part of this team, so i go.
I dont know what u think you are getting, but its not for being honest??!! its because a few of us think that u just dont see what we would like for the team.
i appreciate and understand ur point of view, i just dont agree with u m8.

Whats for sure is that u cant get complete consensus on everything a team is involved in so i think its best sometimes to just make the decisions that u think are best for the progress of the team and see where u go with it.

u cant please all the people all the time, but u can deal out ur cards n see whos in for a punt

Muzzy
13-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I thought that last night was a great session. Definetly good for team spirit. We spurred each other on which made us put in that little bit extra effort. I felt it made you push through the pain a bit. Certainly more than you would do if you were by yourself.

The reason I would go for 2 sessions per month is that strength can be as important as fitness. Fitness is of course something that almost all of us need to work on and so is upperbody strength. Being able to physically bully the other team. Make it harder for them to win the ball from us. I'm personally going to the gym and working on both fitness and upperbody strength outside set team sessions but I am more than happy to go along to these sessions as Deek has far more knowledge on what exercises we need to be doing.

I think being able to go to the gym and work as a team certainly helps to improve team spirit and it will show on the pitch if these become regular sessions.

Anyway, i'm happy if you decided to do 1 per month or 2 as i'll be there :agree:

Gus
14-07-2010, 07:22 AM
maybe if folk worked on their upper body and got stronger and fitter then we wouldnt concede a stupid goal against a crap team when 7-0 up just because the laddie is bigger ;)

Judas Iscariot
14-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought that last night was a great session. Definetly good for team spirit. We spurred each other on which made us put in that little bit extra effort. I felt it made you push through the pain a bit. Certainly more than you would do if you were by yourself.

The reason I would go for 2 sessions per month is that strength can be as important as fitness. Fitness is of course something that almost all of us need to work on and so is upperbody strength. Being able to physically bully the other team. Make it harder for them to win the ball from us. I'm personally going to the gym and working on both fitness and upperbody strength outside set team sessions but I am more than happy to go along to these sessions as Deek has far more knowledge on what exercises we need to be doing.

I think being able to go to the gym and work as a team certainly helps to improve team spirit and it will show on the pitch if these become regular sessions.

Anyway, i'm happy if you decided to do 1 per month or 2 as i'll be there :agree:

Nicely put Muzzy :top marks

GreenGunner
14-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I voted for once a month but like others am happy to whatever the majority feel. Ma hamstring is on the mend but might have to rest it for a bit longer - proper gutted :grr:

Best of luck tonight lads. :thumbsup:

GG

The Green Man
14-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Okay, I voted before I read the thread and I can see there are some strong opinions on this. basically I don't like gym work, never have and never will, that's why I attempt to play football to keep fit. I would personally rather the sessions were training with the ball etc, cause I could go to the gym or do equivalent work on my own time, ie swimming, cycling, strength and conditioning. That's the way I see it, but if you are going to go ahead with the gym sessions I will come along, why not. I am working on Mondays though so often can't make it. I still reckon Monday is a bad day to do it though, not just because I work but is the day after match day which, as I understand it, should be light training, flexibility etc. Just thought I would try and explain my 'Nah' vote as don't want to get toasted!

Groobs

Mister P
14-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Just thought I would try and explain my 'Nah' vote as don't want to get spit roasted by Fenton and Ritchie in the Jacuzzi

Groobs

wow...don't hold back any mate will ye
:greengrin

Gus
15-07-2010, 08:50 PM
any chance we could do another session on monday coming..........

come on lads

The Green Man
16-07-2010, 07:49 PM
wow...don't hold back any mate will ye
:greengrin

are you are drawing on your lived experiences in your creative writing there? :greengrin

sambajustice
21-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Dunno how kindly you take to outsiders posting on your forum but just going to make a wee observation if thats ok...?

People aren't going to "bulk up" by doing one weights session a month at the gym. If you're going to the gym you should try do a a Spin class or something of similar ilk.

If you're not doing any weights outwith that one session per month then there's no chance you're going to build any muscle and the get together could be better used.

That said, I think team gym sessions are an excellent idea and wish my saturday team would consider such an idea!

Right, i'll go crawl back under my rock now!

Delboy*
21-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Dunno how kindly you take to outsiders posting on your forum but just going to make a wee observation if thats ok...?

People aren't going to "bulk up" by doing one weights session a month at the gym. If you're going to the gym you should try do a a Spin class or something of similar ilk.

If you're not doing any weights outwith that one session per month then there's no chance you're going to build any muscle and the get together could be better used.

That said, I think team gym sessions are an excellent idea and wish my saturday team would consider such an idea!

Right, i'll go crawl back under my rock now!

Thanks for ur input m8 n feel free to "hijack" us anytime :wink:

The purpose of our gym sessions is not about bulking up or simply doing free weights. Its more to add to the work we are doing in our pre-season schedule. The lads use the gym time to do cardio and core strength training and once a month along with the other training sessions and games is a fantastic training card for an amatuer team :agree:
Thats not to mention the different dynamic these sessions give, away from the football side, and it has been a great team building excersize.
After the session the guys hang out in the spa, hav a laugh n chat about the games.

good shizzle!

U should try it! :cool2:

Dav1986
22-07-2010, 01:08 PM
We've done this quite a bit as 1 of our players work at the gym at rbs gogarburn and agree with deek, its a good way to build team spirit and as its something different frm the teams normal training it keeps every1 motivated and not getting bored with more or less the same if not similar stuff week in week out. Think once a month is ideal as any more than that, the 'novelty' may wear off and you might see a decline in numbers, just my opinion lads

sambajustice
24-07-2010, 02:17 PM
My team went to the gym today and did a Spin class. If you can organise one of them for your lads i'm sure you will all love it! Its proper hard work!