PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with a kilt?

bigstu
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm going to a wedding abroad at the end of the month & travelling by plane, what's the best way of taking a kilt outfit? On the plane in a suit carrier (is that allowed?) or just chuck it all in a case?

Anytime i've gone abroad with a kilt before i've been wearing it on the plane but i want to keep it looking smart for the wedding & i've got the jacket etc to take too.

cheers for the suggestions

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm going to a wedding abroad at the end of the month & travelling by plane, what's the best way of taking a kilt outfit? On the plane in a suit carrier (is that allowed?) or just chuck it all in a case?

Anytime i've gone abroad with a kilt before i've been wearing it on the plane but i want to keep it looking smart for the wedding & i've got the jacket etc to take too.

cheers for the suggestions

Roll the kilt up and stick it in one leg of a pair of tights. Keep the jacket and that in a suit carrier.

HibeeB
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Pack up your troubles in your old kilt bag :agree:

HarpyHibby
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
My dad has a sort of cylinder bag which he rolls his kilt up and puts it, think he got it from the kilt shop in Musselburgh. When I've been abroad with Scotland I just lay it flat in my case.

Peevemor
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Roll the kilt up and stick it in one leg of a pair of tights. Keep the jacket and that in a suit carrier.

:agree:

JE89
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry for hijacking but,

When wearing a kilt with the Argyle Jacket and a waistcoat - do you wear a belt as well?

Peevemor
08-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Sorry for hijacking but,

When wearing a kilt with the Argyle Jacket and a waistcoat - do you wear a belt as well?

:tsk tsk: It's bad form to wear a belt with a waistcoat. You should also leave the bottom waistcoat button undone.

JE89
08-07-2010, 08:23 PM
:tsk tsk: It's bad form to wear a belt with a waistcoat. You should also leave the bottom waistcoat button undone.

That is what I thought. Cheers :aok:

Frazerbob
10-07-2010, 11:05 PM

I've heard this from a few folk. At the end of the day you wear a kilt as you feel comfortable. Especially in these days of utility kilts, leather kilts, black kilts etc they really are flexible and a lot less stuffy.

If you would rather wear a belt, go for it.

Peevemor
10-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I've heard this from a few folk. At the end of the day you wear a kilt as you feel comfortable. Especially in these days of utility kilts, leather kilts, black kilts etc they really are flexible and a lot less stuffy.

If you would rather wear a belt, go for it.

You can wear your kegs outside your breeks if you want - you might "feel comfortable" but you'll still look like an erse.

Frazerbob
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
You can wear your kegs outside your breeks if you want - you might "feel comfortable" but you'll still look like an erse.

I hardly think wearing a belt will make anyone look like an "erse".

Biff Tannen
13-07-2010, 08:25 PM
:top marks Exactamundo.....how would wearing a belt be bad patter!!!?

bigstu
13-07-2010, 09:29 PM
i think it's tradition not to wear a waist coat & belt, so to traditionalists you'd look like an erse. Granda bigstu wouldn't have me breaking with tradition so he'd soon have a word if i was breaking the old rules.

i wonder what the Polish birds will think of the nae kecks tradition i'll be sticking to at the wedding ;)

Peevemor
13-07-2010, 10:05 PM

:top marks Exactamundo.....how would wearing a belt be bad patter!!!?

i think it's tradition not to wear a waist coat & belt, so to traditionalists you'd look like an erse. Granda bigstu wouldn't have me breaking with tradition so he'd soon have a word if i was breaking the old rules.

i wonder what the Polish birds will think of the nae kecks tradition i'll be sticking to at the wedding ;)

My point wasn't that wearing a waistcoat and a belt together made you look like an erse, but that wearing something just because it's comfortable isn't always the best choice.

When Jevitt posed the waistcoat/belt question, it was obvious that he wanted to do the "done" thing and already had an inkling as to the answer. I responded accordingly.

I could have also added that;

Ties should be tied in a Windsor knot. Anyone turning up with a schoolboy knot should be slapped repeatedly and made to buy drink for everyone else until such time as they get it right.

Waistcoats; Argyll - bottom button always undone, Prince Charlie - all buttons fastened. Waistbelts should never be worn with waiscoats.

Shirts - although practical, short sleeved shirts should not be worn. If the need arises, the cuffs of long sleeves can be turned up twice - any more than that and you look like a juvenile delinquant.

Sporrans should be moved to the side/rear when dancing with (holding) a lady.

Flashes - the foremost edge of each flash should be centred on your shinbone (tibia) with the top of the sgian dubh positioned on the bony lump situated to the bottom-right of your kneecap.

Ghillie brogue laces - 3 twists to the front, one to the rear then knotted front centre. Any more and you start to look like a Roman centurian. Laces should be cut to length to avoid stupid big dangling loops.

However with that said, if people want to do their own thing and wear their kilt back to front with blue suede shoes and a spangly boob tube - I couldn't give a toss.

Each to their own and all that.

bigstu
15-07-2010, 12:10 AM
SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

i've now got the issue with what to wear with the kilt in poland. aswelll as Poles who have never seen a kilt they'll be some older scottish people there so i want to stick to tradition but people are telling me i'll be baking hot in poland with the full gear on. girl at work was saying top half just wear one of those jacobite shirts but i don't think that's appropriate for a formal wedding. someone else saying just the normal outfit but without a jacket or waistcoat but i think a cravat would look stupid out in the open! another suggestion was to wear a waistcoat but no jacket but surely that's not the done thing?
i know i can wear what i want but i don't want to look like a twat!

Cheers

WeAreHibs
15-07-2010, 06:53 PM
My point wasn't that wearing a waistcoat and a belt together made you look like an erse, but that wearing something just because it's comfortable isn't always the best choice.

When Jevitt posed the waistcoat/belt question, it was obvious that he wanted to do the "done" thing and already had an inkling as to the answer. I responded accordingly.

I could have also added that;

Ties should be tied in a Windsor knot. Anyone turning up with a schoolboy knot should be slapped repeatedly and made to buy drink for everyone else until such time as they get it right.

Waistcoats; Argyll - bottom button always undone, Prince Charlie - all buttons fastened. Waistbelts should never be worn with waiscoats.

Shirts - although practical, short sleeved shirts should not be worn. If the need arises, the cuffs of long sleeves can be turned up twice - any more than that and you look like a juvenile delinquant.

Sporrans should be moved to the side/rear when dancing with (holding) a lady.

Flashes - the foremost edge of each flash should be centred on your shinbone (tibia) with the top of the sgian dubh positioned on the bony lump situated to the bottom-right of your kneecap.

Ghillie brogue laces - 3 twists to the front, one to the rear then knotted front centre. Any more and you start to look like a Roman centurian. Laces should be cut to length to avoid stupid big dangling loops.

However with that said, if people want to do their own thing and wear their kilt back to front with blue suede shoes and a spangly boob tube - I couldn't give a toss.

Each to their own and all that.

:top marks Thanks for the seriously useful info. :agree:

ginger_rice
16-07-2010, 02:49 PM
SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

i've now got the issue with what to wear with the kilt in poland. aswelll as Poles who have never seen a kilt they'll be some older scottish people there so i want to stick to tradition but people are telling me i'll be baking hot in poland with the full gear on. girl at work was saying top half just wear one of those jacobite shirts but i don't think that's appropriate for a formal wedding. someone else saying just the normal outfit but without a jacket or waistcoat but i think a cravat would look stupid out in the open! another suggestion was to wear a waistcoat but no jacket but surely that's not the done thing?
i know i can wear what i want but i don't want to look like a twat!

Cheers

Why don't you wear the full outfit for the formal part of the day and have a jaccobite shirt to change into later?

ginger_rice
16-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Pack up your troubles in your old kilt bag :agree:

:faf:

overdrive
20-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Sorry for bringing this old thread up but I actually found it whilst searching for "taking a kilt on a plane" on Google. This and a thread on Kickback are both in the top 4 results :greengrin

Anyway, I'll be travelling via plane to two weddings this year. Firstly, a friend's wedding in London and then my sister-in-law's wedding in Portugal. I'm planning on wearing my kilt to both (though probably not the full outfit in Portugal due to the heat). The Portugal trip should be fine as we have booked hold luggage but we are just doing carry-on luggage on the trip to London. I've got a kilt roll and I think it'll fit in my carry-on luggage.

However, I realise the sgian dubh will be a big 'no-no' in carry-on but I read on the Kickback thread that airport security will likely confiscate the kilt pin as well. Anybody else had an issue with this?

Frazerbob
20-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Sorry for bringing this old thread up but I actually found it whilst searching for "taking a kilt on a plane" on Google. This and a thread on Kickback are both in the top 4 results :greengrin

Anyway, I'll be travelling via plane to two weddings this year. Firstly, a friend's wedding in London and then my sister-in-law's wedding in Portugal. I'm planning on wearing my kilt to both (though probably not the full outfit in Portugal due to the heat). The Portugal trip should be fine as we have booked hold luggage but we are just doing carry-on luggage on the trip to London. I've got a kilt roll and I think it'll fit in my carry-on luggage.

However, I realise the sgian dubh will be a big 'no-no' in carry-on but I read on the Kickback thread that airport security will likely confiscate the kilt pin as well. Anybody else had an issue with this?

I've travelled all over the World in a kilt for about 20+ years, at least 10 flights per year. I've never been stopped for the kilt pin when wearing the kilt. I have been stopped a couple of times when the kilt has been in my hand luggage but literally a couple of times, once being leaving Israel, Tel Aviv being the strictest airport around. You should be absolutely fine.

McD
20-02-2017, 07:56 PM

I went to London for an awards ceremony in December, and left my kilt pin behind to be on the safe side. A colleague took their kilt pin saying they'd never had a problem, and sure enough he got the tap of the shoulder at security on the return leg, and had a 20 minute row with them about whether he could return home with it

Frazerbob
20-02-2017, 08:19 PM
I went to London for an awards ceremony in December, and left my kilt pin behind to be on the safe side. A colleague took their kilt pin saying they'd never had a problem, and sure enough he got the tap of the shoulder at security on the return leg, and had a 20 minute row with them about whether he could return home with it

Yet you can buy a bottle of vodka after security which could be an altogether far more dangerous weapon if you wanted it to be.

overdrive
20-02-2017, 09:53 PM
The thing that is stupid is that surely there must be women go through wearing brooches all the time. Similar sort of item.

I might try to get a cheapo one so it doesn't matter if it's taken off me.

O'Rourke3
20-02-2017, 10:34 PM
My dad has a sort of cylinder bag which he rolls his kilt up and puts it, think he got it from the kilt shop in Musselburgh. When I've been abroad with Scotland I just lay it flat in my case.

Been using the same pair of black 30 denier tights since I got my kilt in 2009. Advice from the man that sold me it on the Royal Mile. I always put the metal/stabby gear in the suitcase in the hold along with the kilt.