PDA

View Full Version : Hibbies in Oxford/surrounding area

lyonhibs
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I've just got myself a new job, about which I am extremely happy.

Slight issue re: Hibs is that it is in Oxford, so I'll only be getting up for the occasional game, as the train ain't cheap.

So, firstly, are there any Hibbies in Oxford/surrounding area, and secondly, as I'll be starting from scratch down there (apart from mates in London) would they fancy meeting up for drinks if Scottish football is ever shown down in Tory town (or even if it isn't)

Finally, anyone got any good sites to start searching for renting places - I know it'll be pricey, but c'est la vie, but I imagine with it being s serious student town, it shouldn't be that difficult.

All help/info very much appreciated :thumbsup:

GGTTH

hibbygraham
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I've just got myself a new job, about which I am extremely happy.

Slight issue re: Hibs is that it is in Oxford, so I'll only be getting up for the occasional game, as the train ain't cheap.

So, firstly, are there any Hibbies in Oxford/surrounding area, and secondly, as I'll be starting from scratch down there (apart from mates in London) would they fancy meeting up for drinks if Scottish football is ever shown down in Tory town (or even if it isn't)

Finally, anyone got any good sites to start searching for renting places - I know it'll be pricey, but c'est la vie, but I imagine with it being s serious student town, it shouldn't be that difficult.

All help/info very much appreciated :thumbsup:

GGTTH

Alright mate! I've been down here for a year now (student at Oxford Uni), and was beginning to wonder when a fellow Scottish football fan would surface - that is, one who doesn't give me the typical tripe of 'I'm-a-big-Rantic-fan-from-Dumfries-who's-been-to-three-games-in-my-life'.

First things first: accomodation is a bit more expensive than Edinburgh (naturally, considering it's relatively close to London by train). If you're renting, I'd imagine you'd be looking at Jericho - a slightly more upmarket place than the typical student accommodation around the Cowley area. With regards to estate agents, I went with College and County - again, more of a student-y place - but there's tonnes of estate agents around the whole town which can be found online easily.

Secondly, you're right about the trains - returns are around £80-100 for me, and that's with a railcard. I don't do the trip up in term time very often (we're worked too hard, here!), but I'd imagine flying up from Heathrow, if booked in advance, would be the more economic thing to do.

Pubs are good here - one thing the English can be complimented for with absolute certainty - but even Old Firm games are only shown when they don't coincide with the Premiership schedule. (The only time I've watched a Hibs game was in my college - it was on Sky, the pubs weren't showing it. Subsequently, the whole student bar was subjected to THAT Hibs-Motherwell game.)

Anyway, if you don't mind talking about Hibs in the pub with a student from Penicuik, let me know! (FYI: I may go to Oxford, but I'm not a toff - state school Scot and proud!) :thumbsup:

Gus
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Congrats Tarq lad thats great news :thumbsup:

I got out of tory country a while back. My twin brother lives in Botley though, so if you see someone considerably better looking than me then say hi, dont say Gus though as he wont have a clue who you are talking about

You are a friend of mine on facebook, so no looking up my sister, she aint like that anymore:wink:

When are you off? I will be heading down for a week in august, so we will have to hook up for a few beers