PDA

View Full Version : NHC English Players you like...

7Hero
05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Apologies for not posting about hearts, but i was wondering who everybody liked in the england team. If they indeed liked anybody..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7141630.ece

i have a lot of time for lampard, of course i want to see england gubbed but i wouldn't grudge him success seems a decent bloke and a very talented footballer to boot...

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm a big fan of Lampard too and he has won me a good few quid over the years, I wouldn't be in a rush to back him at the business end of the tournament tho.

seanraff07
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
David James.

Woody1985
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Beckham, Milner and Joe Hart.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Erm.....let me think....erm.....nane o them!

hibeeleicester
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Beckham :agree:

PeterboroHibee
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Beckham, Rooney, Lampard, Hart and Joe Cole. Quite like Crouch as well, not the best player but does a job for them at international level.

poolman
05-06-2010, 08:49 AM
David Beckam, great advert for football :agree:

we are hibs
05-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Apologies for not posting about hearts, but i was wondering who everybody liked in the england team. If they indeed liked anybody..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7141630.ece

i have a lot of time for lampard, of course i want to see england gubbed but i wouldn't grudge him success seems a decent bloke and a very talented footballer to boot...

rooney because he would run about all day if he had to.:agree:

frazeHFC
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Hart - just liked how good he was for Birmingham
Young and Milner - Villa are great to watch
Dawson, Defoe and Crouch - quite like Spurs
Johnson, Carragher and Gerrard - Liverpool are my favourite English team

Quite a few players there, but when they pull on an England top, i hope they crash and burn (not literally) :devil:

Leicester Fan
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Heskey's very popular down here because he's a local lad, but I'd still rather start with Crouch.

Dunkin' Donut
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Adam Johnson is a great player, would have been good to see him in South Africa. david james and rooney are the others i like

James70
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Rooney for all his stardom and skills seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Have watched him on Street Football on Sky and he is really great with the young kids.

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Joe hart-great young keeper
James milner-one of the few english young players that have lived up to the hype unlike walcott or jeffers

Also big fan of rob jones and david murphy.

booshsutton
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
In the squad I think the following seem like decent blokes:

James Milner - apparently doesn't have an agent (at least didn't when he moved to Villa) and doesn't seem like your stereotypical footballer money grabbing numpty;

Frank Lampard - Love how the English fans and press seem to hate him (constantly referred to as "Fat Frank" - i wish i was that "fat) and doesn't seem to give a damn. Also liked when he phoned up the radio show who was slating him to defend himself, that was quality and put the so called DJ in his place. Seems a genuine lad and a model pro;

David James always comes across well and has carved out a very good career for himself and grown out of the "calamity james" nickname - hopefully this will come back for the next few weeks.

Interviewer - what would you be if you weren't a footballer?
Peter Crouch - A virgin
Now that is funny....

As said before though, as soon as they pull on the england shirt all the above goes out the window

Cocaine&Caviar
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
David James
Frank Lampard
Jimmy Bullard
Chris Hogg
David Murphy
James Milner

Manager: Roy Hodgson.

PISTOL1875
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Joe hart-great young keeper
James milner-one of the few english young players that have lived up to the hype unlike walcott or jeffers

Also big fan of rob jones and david murphy.

?? He's had one good season out of how many ???

Jim44
05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't really dislike any of them. It's the baggage that goes with them and the English media that turn off most of us I think.

Hibernian Verse
05-06-2010, 02:53 PM
David James, Gerrard, Joe Hart, Crouch, Bent, Defoe, Lennon...

Only really dislike Lampard, Joe Cole and Terry...there's a theme there :greengrin

seanraff07
05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
?? He's had one good season out of how many ???

You've got to remember he's still only 24 and his best is yet to come.

But i think he's already good seasons for Leeds, Newcastle and Villa which is why he has moved on to better clubs each time league position wise.:agree:

Sir David Gray
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't really dislike any of them. It's the baggage that goes with them and the English media that turn off most of us I think.

:agree: I like quite a lot of English football players, I just can't bring myself to support them as a team because of the extra "baggage" that you refer to.

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Rooney is class and Crouch seems to be able to laugh at himself which is always a nice trait.

Apart from that not all that bothered with them.

Coz I can see Liverpool TV for nowt at the moment I have been watching the odd half hour now and again and you would be amazed at the Scousers on there going on about how they are not too bothered about Engerland coz Liverpool have been more successful over the years.

It seems to me that the English national team is more the preserve of fans of the lesser teams like Carlisle etc.

:cool2:

SteveHFC
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Steven Gerrard
Jamie Carragher
Glen Johnson
Frank Lampard
Adam Johnson
Joe Hart
David James
Jimmy Bullard :not worth

basehibby
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM

While I'd certainly welcome a few of them to play at Easter Road, I have no idea and neither do I care a jot as to their general level of likeableness. I'm sure in fact that every team in the tounament will have a few players who'd be be fun to have a few beers with down the pub.
Hell - even the Jambos probably have one or two players with passably bearable personalities - but that does not change one iota my deep seated desire to see them gubbed at every opportunity!

ekhibee
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
David James comes across as a pretty decent bloke when interviewed. I know he's also a very talented artist as well. The English player I probably hated most was Stuart Pierce, not because of his ability, but because he refused to shake the hand of Scottish players. Just my opinion though.

CallumLaidlaw
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Want them to get humped this month but...

Joe Hart - Cracking young keeper

Aaron Lennon - exciting wide player

Peter Crouch - Rich mans Colin Nish :wink: plus his answer to the question "what would you be if you weren't a footballer" was "a virgin" :greengrin :top marks

there is plenty other players in the team I respect as players, particularly Gerrard & Rooney. Cant use the word "like" tho

Jones28
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Got a lot of respect for Wayne Rooney :agree:

lyonhibs
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
To be honest, with the obvious exceptions of John Terry and Ashley "****" Cole, I don't have a problem with any of the players in the England squad.

Not a big fan of Stevie "punch the **** out of DJ's" Gerrard though.

If they weren't English, I'd be quite happy to see them lift the World Cup.

Judas Iscariot
05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Got a lot of respect for Wayne Rooney :agree:

Why? You into granny hookers tae?

BenjiOscar
05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Phil Neville - could have had stayed at Man Utd picking up wages as a squad player but went in search of regular first team football and became Everton captain. Is well respected.

Emile Heskey - a real honest trier and whilst not the most gifted of strikers is another team player.

James Milner - seems more interested in being a footballer rather than a celebrity (like Paul Scholes) which doesn't happen too often.

LancashireHibby
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Coz I can see Liverpool TV for nowt at the moment I have been watching the odd half hour now and again and you would be amazed at the Scousers on there going on about how they are not too bothered about Engerland coz Liverpool have been more successful over the years.

It seems to me that the English national team is more the preserve of fans of the lesser teams like Carlisle etc.

:cool2:

That's long since been the case, to the extent of Man Utd fans having Argentinian flags and chants in the past and the old 'Ronaldo made England look sheite' gubbins. Take a look at the flags at England games and the majority of them will be from smaller clubs. In fact, there's an entire network of non-league fans who know each other from watching England, a couple of my mates amongst them.

Personally, I can take or leave the English football team, to be honest - don't necessarily want them to get thumped every game but there again I wouldn't celebrate if they won either. That said, I'll be watching England in the flesh on June 12th....in the rugby league against France :cool2:

Jonnyboy
05-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Jimmy Bullard - for this if nothing else :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajB-D_h2xsM

West Upper
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Gerrard, Carragher and Johnson because they play for my other team

i also like Darren Bent who was very unlucky no to be in the squad.

Dashing Bob S
05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Gareth Evans - pacy striker.
Keith Houchen - that great FA cup final goal
David Murphy - great full back
Rob Jones - wholehearted defender
Stu Lovell - guitar strumming psuedo Aussie midfielder

I'm sure there are more. As for the current England squad, hate em all. USA! USA!

Jones28
05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Why? You into granny hookers tae?

Why else? :greengrin

Granny hookers aside, I think he's a great role model for young players, 10-14, in terms of his work ethic etc

vein
05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
David Beckam, great advert for football :agree:

Aye, go ****ging about behind his wifes back, great advert for football and a man to look up to :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
James Milner- Was gutted when he left Newcastle and Villa are sadly reaping the rewards

Pete
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
In the team just now:

Carragher and Steven Gerrard because they're both down to earth scousers and by all accounts are both very approachable.

Crouch for his self-depreciating sense of humour....and he's more talented and skilfull than most people give him credit for. I'd start with him in the first eleven.

In the past:

Gazza. The best player I have ever seen in the flesh by a country mile. He's been battling mental problems for most of his life which makes him even more special.

Le Saux. After reading his article on quoted on here a while back I've nothing but total admiration for the guy. A superb player who had to put up with so much crap from people who really should have known better. Before reading that Robbie Fowler probably would have been on this list.

vein
05-06-2010, 10:30 PM
In the team just now:

Carragher and Steven Gerrard because they're both down to earth scousers and by all accounts are both very approachable.

Crouch for his self-depreciating sense of humour....and he's more talented and skilfull than most people give him credit for. I'd start with him in the first eleven.

In the past:

Gazza. The best player I have ever seen in the flesh by a country mile. He's been battling mental problems for most of his life which makes him even more special.

Le Saux. After reading his article on quoted on here a while back I've nothing but total admiration for the guy. A superb player who had to put up with so much crap from people who really should have known better. Before reading that Robbie Fowler probably would have been on this list.

Cant agree enough Peter. At the time I felt hate for Gazza as a teenage lad but having matured a little (:greengrin) feel privaleged (sp) that I was there watching a player like him play.

heretoday
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Peter Crouch has a ready wit and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. Very useful player and can change lightbulbs without needing a pair of steps.

CallumLaidlaw
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
cant believe this is written by the english media :wink:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/2999238/Its-time-for-a-reality-check-warns-Steven-Howard.html

Jonnyboy
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Peter Crouch has a ready wit and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. Very useful player and can change lightbulbs without needing a pair of steps.

Not heading for the PBS then :greengrin

Speedy
05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Beckham, Rooney, Crouch, Dawson, Hart

Billychaotic182
05-06-2010, 11:17 PM
King
Dawson
Lennon
Defoe
Crouch
Any Spurs Player lol

Hibs On Tour
05-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Rooney - extraordinary talent
Lampard - natural talent + graft got him where he is - no airs and graces
Crouch - don't actually like him particularly as a player but seems a genuine guy
Bullard - who doesn't like a character like him?
Probably loads more...

Far easier to note the ones you've no time for like:
Gerrard - jumped up wee scrote who got away with something purely because he is a celebrity
Terry - just a cock, really - without all the nonsense would be in the top list
Cashley - should need no explanation
Trevor Brooking - have *always* ****ing hated that arrogant twat
Hately - so full of **** it was amazing along with worst dress-sense ever
Again, loads more...

Pete
06-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Cant agree enough Peter. At the time I felt hate for Gazza as a teenage lad but having matured a little (:greengrin) feel privaleged (sp) that I was there watching a player like him play.

It was a lot about the way he behaved off the ball as well.

His head was always moving about frantically like a chickens...looking around, always so aware of what was around him.
When he did take the ball he always knew what to do because of this awareness.

A true genius.

vein
06-06-2010, 12:02 AM
It was a lot about the way he behaved off the ball as well.

His head was always moving about frantically like a chickens...looking around, always so aware of what was around him.
When he did take the ball he always knew what to do because of this awareness.

A true genius.

:agree:

Mikeystewart
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Cant say there is a player i dont like mabey Gerrard for some of his off field antics. Despite the arrogance of the media down south a really dont have a problem with England or their players all 23 of the squad top quality professionals and thats including the ones that just missed it.

Ross4356
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't support any English team but really like Stevie G, I think he is a great player who can pull one out of the bag when it's needed