PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping and finishing off

Aubenas
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Now the stadium is almost complete, there's an opportunity for Hibs to involve fans in ideas for general landscaping and finishing off the site to a standard as high as that of the overall structure. The interest in the building of the new stand shows that the Hibs Family take a real interest and pride in the 'Family Home'.

I'm assuming that the road at the back of the South stand will lead all the way round the back of the new east and will finally be tarmac finished: it looks pretty 'unadopted' now. The entrance to the Club in the west is very understated. Maybe this is deliberate, but I know there was discussion about banners for the frontage when it opened, or a an illuminated Hibernian FC sign. Maybe it's just me but it's still seems odd that, other than the engravings on the doors and the sign behind the reception desk, there's nothing that indicates it's the home of Hibs from the approach.

Finally, the green fencing at various points, notably between the south and west, is obviously serviceable for security but it does look a bit basic, as if the ground was a building site. With a bit of thought, or a competition, or a bit of sponsorship, maybe more elegant fencing could be designed or used - maybe the Hannan Gates to rival Anfield's Shankly gates or similar? Likewise, the Hawkhill entrance to the new east will need some kind of fencing/barrier - a uniform design around the ground, that looked more than just serviceable, would complete the place perfectly.

In the great scheme of things these finishing off bits are not hugely important, but Hibs have a reputation for doing things well and with a bit of class, and these would be the finishing touches to a brilliant stadium. I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:

Ozyhibby
01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Nothing to say other than I agree with all the above although there will no doubt be people who complain about wasting money on signs/ landscaping and not spending on players.

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
It would be great if we could have a flower bed with our badge on it, should be easy enough. :wink:

hibsbollah
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
It would be great if we could have a flower bed with our badge on it, should be easy enough. :wink:

The spherical box hedging is a nice touch as well, you could have some columns and pillars for a faux Roman effect too, topped off with a sculpture of Stanton, Best or Konte on the architrave :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Centre Circle do you ok:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Yip, and we could get mixu back. :wink:

sahib
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Now the stadium is almost complete, there's an opportunity for Hibs to involve fans in ideas for general landscaping and finishing off the site to a standard as high as that of the overall structure. The interest in the building of the new stand shows that the Hibs Family take a real interest and pride in the 'Family Home'.

I'm assuming that the road at the back of the South stand will lead all the way round the back of the new east and will finally be tarmac finished: it looks pretty 'unadopted' now. The entrance to the Club in the west is very understated. Maybe this is deliberate, but I know there was discussion about banners for the frontage when it opened, or a an illuminated Hibernian FC sign. Maybe it's just me but it's still seems odd that, other than the engravings on the doors and the sign behind the reception desk, there's nothing that indicates it's the home of Hibs from the approach.

Finally, the green fencing at various points, notably between the south and west, is obviously serviceable for security but it does look a bit basic, as if the ground was a building site. With a bit of thought, or a competition, or a bit of sponsorship, maybe more elegant fencing could be designed or used - maybe the Hannan Gates to rival Anfield's Shankly gates or similar? Likewise, the Hawkhill entrance to the new east will need some kind of fencing/barrier - a uniform design around the ground, that looked more than just serviceable, would complete the place perfectly.

In the great scheme of things these finishing off bits are not hugely important, but Hibs have a reputation for doing things well and with a bit of class, and these would be the finishing touches to a brilliant stadium. I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:

Just slab it and put chips down.

steviecarnie
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
the new road created needs named first :)

GreenCastle
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
The Old East gates are in storage and will be incorporated into the new part at the side / behind of the East supposedly.

I agree about given it a Hibernian make over and always said they needed a large HIBERNIAN FC sign on the west / side of the North and even maybe back of East and South so all can see from distance that it's our home. I would assume you need planning permission for such a thing though ?

Aubenas
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Bloody Hell - who would have thought Alan Titchmarsh would be on Hibs net????:wink:

I forgot to mention the water (of Leith) feature and the memorial McCormick decking......:rolleyes:

Peevemor
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:

I reckon he did when it was confirmed that Bamba's going to the world cup. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM

No thanks. We have enough pansies in the middle of the park as it is. :greengrin

random sub
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I agree with the OP. A house is not a home until it is properly and imaginatively furnished!

Some inspiring ideas to reinforce the brand identity is good for business too. I like the idea of neon green Hibs sign somewhere on the west or off the back of the south stand- could look cool after a winter game.

brydekirk
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Nothing to say other than I agree with all the above although there will no doubt be people who complain about wasting money on signs/ landscaping and not spending on players.
not bad for having nothing to say,:thumbsup:

Jones28
01-06-2010, 09:08 PM
A Topiary tache!! :greengrin

steviecarnie
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Some inspiring ideas to reinforce the brand identity is good for business too. I like the idea of neon green Hibs sign somewhere on the west or off the back of the south stand- could look cool after a winter game.

kind of pointless on the west since it cant be seen from the main road. and the south is the away fans stand - athough if high enough could be seen from meadowbank/abbeyhill junction i suppose.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
What about a huge spotlight that projects the Hibs badge onto the night sky above Edinburgh, like Batman.

:greengrin

Mister P
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
a simple white/light coloured concrete paving to make the background, with some planting/ hedging/greenery that could create the hibs badge.
very crude mockup here:
http://i45.tinypic.com/dzte1w.jpg

shrubbery would be low maintenance which id expect the club to like.

:dunno:

KdyHby
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
:faf:

I reckon he did when it was confirmed that Bamba's going to the world cup. :greengrin

steviecarnie
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
just a thought do hibs even own the carpark behind the west stand or is it part of the old school's?

random sub
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
kind of pointless on the west since it cant be seen from the main road. and the south is the away fans stand - athough if high enough could be seen from meadowbank/abbeyhill junction i suppose.

Meant to say the north stand. jutting out onto Albion Road so that it forms part of the streetscape.

lucky
01-06-2010, 10:54 PM

Come on our groundsman struggled to grow grass this year, how do you expect him to mange a flower bed.

Aubenas
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
just a thought do hibs even own the carpark behind the west stand or is it part of the old school's?

I think the Norton Park folk own most of the car park; there's certainly a snippy notice on the gate about it not being for Hibernian parking - though obviously the club use it on match days; maybe they own the part of it nearest the stand?

I remember in the Duff/Gray years, Hibs had the chance to buy the whole of Norton Park, which would have given us a great frontage. In the end, only the old school techie block was bought - but at least that made the present west stand possible. May have been problems with demolishing the main building, looks like it could be listed.

Was just thinking when I was down there earlier in the week what a good bit of business it was for Hibs to buy the current ticket office building, and wondering if they would go for the church and hall next door which looks unused at present?

steviecarnie
01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
the church and hall next door which looks unused at present?

thats been empty for a while i think, cant think what they'd be able to do with it tho? would u be allowed to knock down a church?

Aubenas
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
thats been empty for a while i think, cant think what they'd be able to do with it tho? would u be allowed to knock down a church?

If it's in bad repair I suppose so - there's a surfeit of them these days it seems. Don't think Hibs would need the building but if they could demolish it, may give better access to the ground. I suppose as a football club you'd want control over close neighbours in case they got a bit awkward about match days etc

cockneymike
02-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Someone mentioned it before on another thread, but I think that a big club badge on the new roof would be cool - imagine when you're flying into Edinburgh you'd see it. Aso whenever the cameras come to ER they'd no doubt show it too.

--------
02-06-2010, 09:33 AM
The spherical box hedging is a nice touch as well, you could have some columns and pillars for a faux Roman effect too, topped off with a sculpture of Stanton, Best or Konte on the architrave :agree:

ARCHITRAVE????? WOOOOO!!!!!!! :devil:

Come on our groundsman struggled to grow grass this year, how do you expect him to mange a flower bed.

"Mange" is just about what I WOULD expect considering the state of the pitch the last few years....

The problem is that most church buildings are listed by Historic Scotland and as such can't be demolished. It's a total pain in the neck, IMO, because it means that all sorts of totally unremarkable buildings all over Scotland are being "preserved for posterity" for no good reason whatsoever.

You're absolutely right - that church building (Lockhart Memorial) has been closed for years. I assume that it's still owned by the Church of Scotland, who have no use for it, but if Hibs bought it I suspect they would find that there were so many conditions applied to the sale that they would be hard-pressed to put it to positive use. IIRC the present ticket/booking offices are in a building that was owned by that congregation - part of the old church halls.

BTW - small point of interest. John Combe, the uncle of Bobby Combe who played in the Famous Five team, was Session Clerk of that congregation in the 1930's and 1940's. John was a Sergeant in the 7th Battalion of the Royal Scots and was seriously injured in the Gretna rail disaster in May 1915 when the battalion was on the way to Liverpool to board the troopship to take them to Gallipoli.

blackpoolhibs
02-06-2010, 10:36 AM
The church next door would be a great place to hold jumble sales in. I'm surprised someone has not thought of this before?

3pm
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
'welcome to hell. Don't damage the flowers'

hibsbollah
02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
ARCHITRAVE????? WOOOOO!!!!!!! :devil:

If you have a problem with architraves we could have a nice pediment instead with lots of carved Jarko Wisses on it.

hibs0666
02-06-2010, 03:51 PM
If you have a problem with architraves we could have a nice pediment instead with lots of carved Jarko Wisses on it.

IMHO there should be shaped and trimmed bushes all around the ground. :agree:

essexhibee
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
I would like to see the gates idea being put into place, think it would look really good as opposed to the prison like feel they have now. Also would like to see lettering on the stands for all to see.

I think branding needs to be improved greatly as said, and with the new east is important i feel to finish off the entire ground with the little extras.

.SeventyFive
02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
'welcome to hell. Don't damage the flowers'

:greengrin

We could turn it on it's head and have a "Welcome to Heaven" sign instead.

Removed
02-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Defo, I'm partial to a nice shaped and trimmed bush :agree:

:thumbsup:

Wembley67
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
:tee hee: finishing off :tee hee:

James70
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Who owns the piece of derelict ground to the south east of the ground? I think it was the site of the old bowling green. Does anyone know if there are plans to develop it and would it be worth Hibs purchasing it?

Jack
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I think we should concentrate on spending money on players.

No, sounds like a good idea.

Aubenas
02-06-2010, 05:26 PM
BTW - small point of interest. John Combe, the uncle of Bobby Combe who played in the Famous Five team, was Session Clerk of that congregation in the 1930's and 1940's. John was a Sergeant in the 7th Battalion of the Royal Scots and was seriously injured in the Gretna rail disaster in May 1915 when the battalion was on the way to Liverpool to board the troopship to take them to Gallipoli.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know that - nice connection. Sort of thing the Historical Trust is starting to promote.
Come to think of it, I wonder if a Hibernian Heritage Trail would be an idea - plaques to mark places of interest and the occasional walking tour? St Pats, St Mary's St Halls, a nod towards the Stanton paving/ironwork, the link between Willie Groves and Burke and Hare, Grange Cemetery etc? Wouldn't take much to put in place and be an extra contribution to Edinburgh tourism.

Bayern Bru
02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Didn't know that - nice connection. Sort of thing the Historical Trust is starting to promote.
Come to think of it, I wonder if a Hibernian Heritage Trail would be an idea - plaques to mark places of interest and the occasional walking tour? St Pats, St Mary's St Halls, a nod towards the Stanton paving/ironwork, the link between Willie Groves and Burke and Hare, Grange Cemetery etc? Wouldn't take much to put in place and be an extra contribution to Edinburgh tourism.

You out of work Aubs? :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
02-06-2010, 06:14 PM

I've always thought a Brazilian would not look out of place at ER.

Arch Stanton
02-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Who owns the piece of derelict ground to the south east of the ground? I think it was the site of the old bowling green. Does anyone know if there are plans to develop it and would it be worth Hibs purchasing it?

And if they then made an entrance into Lochend Park it would sure make my journey home a good bit shorter - and I wouldn't be too fussed about it being landscaped, maybe a few Dahlias.

Aubenas
02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
You out of work Aubs? :greengrin

Bad news for your immediate future if I was...........:wink:

jakedance
02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm all for the installation of some ornate gates and fencing. Provided they are of the classical style rather than anything modern that will look daft in a few years (like the daft Saturn badge cut-outs behind the Famous 5 stand).

Isn't there any sculptors within our ranks of celebrity/artist/warrior poet support?