PDA

View Full Version : Wierd and Nasty Accidents

down-the-slope
30-05-2010, 07:21 PM
As I have just encountered another of these accidents...and I'm well bored with the current repeditive threads on main board

So what wierd and Nasty accidents have you or others you know had.

1. Yesterday I split a heavy ceramic sink while trying to undo a set of taps - so had to replace sink. I picked up the old broken sink one handed with my left hand - cue searing pain in left index finger.......the weight of the sink plus unseen razor sharp broken edge had sliced into my finger - Like the black knight...'its only a flesh wound'

(now at this point i should say that in the course of my work I use a number of dangerous tools - chainsaws / nail guns / rip saws / compound mitre saws etc etc - and rarley have any incident with them)

2. Two years ago I got up early Saturday morning to make the first coffee of the day. Standing in my boxers admiring the garden out the kitchen window while I waited for kettle to boil. Unscrewing the jar lid I dropped the coffee jar...having great reflexes my hand shot out to catch jar as it fell..it hit the tiled worksurface just as I grabbed it....cue horror movie type scream (which actually brought the neighbour through from cottage next door) as the jar exploded and my fist clenched, slicing my right thumb to the bone...blood absoulutly everywhere mixed with coffee granuals...a shocking injury that after the trauma of being driven the 15 miles to A&E by my wife...required painfull stitching back together.

3. Just this week a friend told me her sister was out walking the two dogs. The rope attached to the two leads was wrapped round her thumb and finger. Suddenly both dogs ran off at high speed in different directions..she said she felt a hard yank..and when she looked half her thumb had been pulled off from the knuckle..bone tendons arteries etc :faint: (i must admit to feeling quite queezy as she was telling me) They have tried micro surgey to no avail as the tendons / arteries had been stretched so much they had recoiled in such a way as not to be repairable -so the stump has just had to be stiched over with the remaining skin.

s.a.m
30-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I've made cartoon accidents my business, and I've ticked most of them off my list: I've stepped on a rake; slipped on a banana skin; watched in horror as a driver opened his car door in front of me and my bike; had my feet run over (by my science teacher) and, most spectacularly, in France, looked the wrong way and confidently ran out in front of a speeding motorist. And he didn't miss. I have, so far, avoided falling masonry. Just. Though that's another story. I won't bore you.)

Woody1985
30-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I jumped over a wall last August when reeking onto the grass at the other side. The grass was a little wet and I slipped as I landed and fell onto the kerb face first and knocked 3 of my front teeth out. To make it worse it was about 5pm and there were about 20 people who saw me.

I went home and got cleaned up and went back out for a drink with no front teeth. Got them fixed a few days later though but ended up £550 lighter as I have a private dentist.

down-the-slope
30-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I jumped over a wall last August when reeking onto the grass at the other side. The grass was a little wet and I slipped as I landed and fell onto the kerb face first and knocked 3 of my front teeth out. To make it worse it was about 5pm and there were about 20 people who saw me.

I went home and got cleaned up and went back out for a drink with no front teeth. Got them fixed a few days later though but ended up £550 lighter as I have a private dentist.

:shocked:nasty...i hate dentistry at the best of times

Its also reminded me of a drunken accident of years ago..probably 19/20 ish out on the lash after a Hibs game with some guys / group of girls...dying for a pee in Princess st..being well brought up i wanted to be a tad discrete so thought I would find a bush in the gardens...as they were locked I went to climb the railings. I stood on half height spike to get push up..yes you guessed it as i forced full weight down to get up the spike went clean through the bottom of my Addidas Samba and into my foot...not easy getting it back of either..fortunatley the anasthetic effect of way too much booze made it feel less painfull than it should have been..one of the girls with us helped me get the trainer off..and nearly passed out as the previously white sock was saturated red...cue trip to A&E...it was blooming sore later as they would not give me pain relief due to being reeking..
Maybe I should stop recounting these...i'm starting to sound like Forrest Gump :rolleyes:

Woody1985
30-05-2010, 10:49 PM
:shocked:nasty...i hate dentistry at the best of times

Its also reminded me of a drunken accident of years ago..probably 19/20 ish out on the lash after a Hibs game with some guys / group of girls...dying for a pee in Princess st..being well brought up i wanted to be a tad discrete so thought I would find a bush in the gardens...as they were locked I went to climb the railings. I stood on half height spike to get push up..yes you guessed it as i forced full weight down to get up the spike went clean through the bottom of my Addidas Samba and into my foot...not easy getting it back of either..fortunatley the anasthetic effect of way too much booze made it feel less painfull than it should have been..one of the girls with us helped me get the trainer off..and nearly passed out as the previously white sock was saturated red...cue trip to A&E...it was blooming sore later as they would not give me pain relief due to being reeking..
Maybe I should stop recounting these...i'm starting to sound like Forrest Gump :rolleyes:

I'd had root canal treatment on one of them in the past and a post fitted after another incident'up town when I was judased so there was no pain from that tooth and I'm well used to it with previous dentist treatment. It's just a case of take the jag and lie back, I almost fell asleep during it! The worst part was actually the smell when he was drilling the old post and the plasticy material was burning/melting.

I've done that up in Princess St when I was younger, thankfully I had a pair of boots on and it only went through and touched my foot. They're deceptively blunt!

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I remember about 30 years ago seeing a crowd of people gathered round an ambulance in Albert Street as someone had been knocked down, so, I ran across the road to see who it was and "smack" I got hit by a Ford Capri! only spent the night in hospital though. I've also fell through the hatch in my cousins loft and smacked into a telegraph pole on a tarzan swing!

Sylar
30-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Worst one was when I used to skateboard.

Was in Edinburgh one day, on the tall set of stairs on the left hand side at the bottom of Cockburn Street. There was a huge rail running from top to bottom, and I decided that I was going to grind it.

All was going peachy, until I got to about 4 stairs from the bottom and I hit a bolt/sharp bump in the rail and came careering off the board (doing a good speed, as the stairs were about 40 tall). Board shot off in front of me and I landed with both sets of toes pointing directly into the ground, with forward momentum.

"Snap!", followed by the "thud" of my head hitting the ground. 6 hours later, I woke in hospital with 2 fractured ankles and one hell of a headache!

Chuckie
31-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I got Munchausens Syndrome from Hibs.net.

down-the-slope
31-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Worst one was when I used to skateboard.

Was in Edinburgh one day, on the tall set of stairs on the left hand side at the bottom of Cockburn Street. There was a huge rail running from top to bottom, and I decided that I was going to grind it.

All was going peachy, until I got to about 4 stairs from the bottom and I hit a bolt/sharp bump in the rail and came careering off the board (doing a good speed, as the stairs were about 40 tall). Board shot off in front of me and I landed with both sets of toes pointing directly into the ground, with forward momentum.

"Snap!", followed by the "thud" of my head hitting the ground. 6 hours later, I woke in hospital with 2 fractured ankles and one hell of a headache!

Ouch thats sounds nasty ...how the hell do you get around with 2 broken legs:rolleyes:
(not wierd though as was always going to happen :wink:)