PDA

View Full Version : car questions

bobbyhibs1983
23-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Afternoon folks I have a few questions about my i d be more than grateful for some advice on.

1.Whilst driving on the motorway in and round 80 my rev counter is hitting 4, should i worry bout this?Is that a normal thing?if not what is the more than likely cause?I drive a vauxhall corsa 1.2.If i drive at 70 ithe rev counter ts in around 3.

2.car servicing, is it worth doing? i saw an ad for kwik fit for £79 is that the average prive give or take for getitng your car serviced?(i ve ehard a few bad things about kwik fit so gonna use someone else)

any advice would be most welcomed as Driving and putting the petrol in the car is as far as knowledge with cars i have.
thanx in advance

Jack
23-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Revs sound about normal although I've never been around a Corsa.
Have you thought about looking for corsa.net or vauxhaul.net. Car forums are very different than football forums - like everyone wants to be as helpful as possible to eachother.
Never, ever have anything to do with Kwikfit. Rogues.
Some mechanics say only do servicing when its needed - every so many miles, some car enthusiasts seem to change the oil, for example, when the weather changes.
Best to find a wee independent garage near you that you can grow to trust - ask around.

bobbyhibs1983
23-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Revs sound about normal although I've never been around a Corsa.
Have you thought about looking for corsa.net or vauxhaul.net. Car forums are very different than football forums - like everyone wants to be as helpful as possible to eachother.
Never, ever have anything to do with Kwikfit. Rogues.
Some mechanics say only do servicing when its needed - every so many miles, some car enthusiasts seem to change the oil, for example, when the weather changes.
Best to find a wee independent garage near you that you can grow to trust - ask around.

ok thanx for that mate

ArabHibee
23-05-2010, 04:36 PM
£79 is very cheap for a service IMO. I get my car serviced once a year, the last one I had was about £300 but that was including 2 new tyres, brake pads & discs. I would expect a normal service to be anywhere between £150 to £250 depending on what you're getting done.

I would also follow Jack's advice about finding an independent small garage that you can trust. I've been going to the same garage for the last 15 years and although they are now 25 odd miles away from where I now live, I would rather take my car to someone I trust than get ripped off.

Number69
23-05-2010, 04:43 PM
£79 is very cheap for a service IMO. I get my car serviced once a year, the last one I had was about £300 but that was including 2 new tyres, brake pads & discs. I would expect a normal service to be anywhere between £150 to £250 depending on what you're getting done.

I would also follow Jack's advice about finding an independent small garage that you can trust. I've been going to the same garage for the last 15 years and although they are now 25 odd miles away from where I now live, I would rather take my car to someone I trust than get ripped off.

Sounds more like an MOT bill mate, i wouldnt pay higher than £100 for a service!!!

ArabHibee
23-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Sounds more like an MOT bill mate, i wouldnt pay higher than £100 for a service!!!

I can assure you it wasn't an MOT.

As I said, I got 2 new tyres which came to (off the top of my head) about £120, brake pads and discs (not sure how much) plus all the other bits and bobs associated with a service. So when you take off the tyres it was about £180. Depends on whether you want your car serviced properly or not.:cool2:

Number69
23-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I can assure you it wasn't an MOT.

As I said, I got 2 new tyres which came to (off the top of my head) about £120, brake pads and discs (not sure how much) plus all the other bits and bobs associated with a service. So when you take off the tyres it was about £180. Depends on whether you want your car serviced properly or not.:cool2:

Why would they change your tyers on a service without you asking them to??

Heres a checklist, obviously not the same as the service you had but gives you an idea that things are checked and tweeked, if things are faulty thats up to you to sort out and you're under no obligation to buy any parts.

http://www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk/files/service-checklist.pdf

ArabHibee
23-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Why would they change your tyers on a service without you asking them to??

Heres a checklist, obviously not the same as the service you had but gives you an idea that things are checked and tweeked, if things are faulty thats up to you to sort out and you're under no obligation to buy any parts.

http://www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk/files/service-checklist.pdf

They didn't. As I have a very good relationship with them, they will phone and let me know if there are any other bits and bobs wrong with the car and whether I want them fixed or not. On this particular occassion I had 2 barely legal tyres and they asked me if I wanted them changed. They even called me back to give me all the prices for the tyres, they didn't just put the most expensive ones on.

I've just had a look back at my services and was maybe a wee bit OTT with how much I have paid. My last service was expensive, because of the tyres, pads and discs but the previous year's one was only £122. Bear in mind, it will depend on how old your car is and how many miles it has done.

I'm happy to pay what I do for services because I know that the garage are not ripping me off and will never send me out in an unsafe and unroadworthy car.

Number69
23-05-2010, 08:34 PM
aye thats pretty good that they would do that for you, most places will just want your cash lol