PDA

View Full Version : Will we be seeded for Europe?

Col2
15-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I know when we played in the round prior to the group stages in th UEFA cup we were not seeded but any chance we could be this time as it's a round earlier? Any statos know?

Could make the difference between a winable 3rd roundabd then a mid august top drawer euro game under the floodlights after ER has been completed.

Hibercelona
15-05-2010, 04:54 PM
We will be seeded to the 3rd round of the qualifiers. :agree:

scoopyboy
15-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I know when we played in the round prior to the group stages in th UEFA cup we were not seeded but any chance we could be this time as it's a round earlier? Any statos know?

Could make the difference between a winable 3rd roundabd then a mid august top drawer euro game under the floodlights after ER has been completed.

Possibly. We have a coefficient of 6.158 and if that is higher than 35 teams then we will be seeded.

Touch and go IMO.

Hibby70
15-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Possibly. We have a coefficient of 6.158 and if that is higher than 35 teams then we will be seeded.

Touch and go IMO.

By my quick calc

there are 26 definitely higher than us
and 11 possible higher than us (obviously dependant on who qualifies from that country's league)

With 35 seeds its probably likely that we will be seeds (relying on 2 teams in the possibles not making Europe)

BenjiOscar
15-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Yep, I think the worst we can be is 38th so with 40 ties in the third qualifying round we will be seeded for that round. Will be a different story when we get to the play-off round though where we won't be seeded. Anything can happen though.

scoopyboy
15-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Yep, I think the worst we can be is 38th so with 40 ties in the third qualifying round we will be seeded for that round. Will be a different story when we get to the play-off round though where we won't be seeded. Anything can happen though.

There is 70 teams and 35 ties so 38th wouldn't be seeded.

jgl07
15-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Touch and go IMO.
There are 30 teams seeded into the Third Qualifying round. 20 appear to have a higher coefficient than Hibs.

There will be 40 teams coming through from the Second Qualifying Round. There are likely to be around 16 teams in this round with a higher coefficient.

Hibs will appear to rely on at least three of these teams not making it through to the Third Round.

Darth Hibbie
15-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Would we not be seeded ahead of all the teams that had to play in the 2nd qualifying round regardless of the co-efficient :dunno:

scoopyboy
15-05-2010, 06:56 PM
There are 30 teams seeded into the Third Qualifying round. 20 appear to have a higher coefficient than Hibs.

There will be 40 teams coming through from the Second Qualifying Round. There are likely to be around 17 teams in this round with a higher coefficient.

Hibs will appear to rely on at least three of these teams not making it through to the Third Round.

I agree with your figures.

There is a possibility of weak qualifiers taking up some qualifying positions that might have a lower coefficient than us.

Westie1875
15-05-2010, 06:57 PM

There will be 40 teams coming through from the Second Qualifying Round. There are likely to be around 17 teams in this round with a higher coefficient.

I'm not understanding how this is going to work as from the dates I have seen quoted elsewhere, the draw for the 3rd qualifying round takes place on 16th July, however the 2nd leg of the 2nd qualifying round doesn't take place until 22nd July.

Are these dates correct? :confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not understanding how this is going to work as from the dates I have seen quoted elsewhere, the draw for the 3rd qualifying round takes place on 16th July, however the 2nd leg of the 2nd qualifying round doesn't take place until 22nd July.

Are these dates correct? :confused:

I've just asked that question on another thread. Don't see how you can determine who is seeded if the draw is made before the 2nd round is finished.

Certainly the date of 16th July is on the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League

Darth Hibbie
15-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Unseeded teams in the 2nd qualifying round that qualify for the next round take effectively the coefficient of their opponent in the next round: Garabag Agdam replaced the seeded team Rosenborg BK (28.760), Slavija Sarajevo replaced the seeded team AaB Aalborg (24.890), OFK Petrovac replaced the seeded team Anorthosis Famagusta (12.016), KR Reykjavik replaced the seeded team AE Larissa (7.633), FC Vaduz replaced the seeded team Falkirk FC (5.575), FK Sarajevo replaced the seeded team Spartak Trnava (2.933), FC Lahti replaced the seeded team Nova Gorica (2.816), and Vetra Vilnius replaced the seeded team HJK Helsinki (1.958). The reason for this is that the draw for the 3rd qualifying round is made before the results of the 2nd qualifying round are known.

Got this from some random website

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html

Still too confusing from me :confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Unseeded teams in the 2nd qualifying round that qualify for the next round take effectively the coefficient of their opponent in the next round: Garabag Agdam replaced the seeded team Rosenborg BK (28.760), Slavija Sarajevo replaced the seeded team AaB Aalborg (24.890), OFK Petrovac replaced the seeded team Anorthosis Famagusta (12.016), KR Reykjavik replaced the seeded team AE Larissa (7.633), FC Vaduz replaced the seeded team Falkirk FC (5.575), FK Sarajevo replaced the seeded team Spartak Trnava (2.933), FC Lahti replaced the seeded team Nova Gorica (2.816), and Vetra Vilnius replaced the seeded team HJK Helsinki (1.958). The reason for this is that the draw for the 3rd qualifying round is made before the results of the 2nd qualifying round are known.

Got this from some random website

[/URL][url]http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ekassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html)

Still too confusing from me :confused:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ekassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html)

Right...so, if for arguement sake, Austria Vienna, who have a coefficient of 16.915 (more than Hibs), play OFK Belgrade of Serbia in the 2nd round who have a coefficient of 2.800 which is less than Hibs, if OFK were to win they would be seeded above Hibs cause they take the seeding of the team they've just beaten.

So if that's right, Hibs have to be amongst the top 35 seeds BEFORE the 2nd round even starts...maybe. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
15-05-2010, 07:35 PM
It's a bit of a con this isn't it, we haven't actually qualified for europe. We have just qualified for the right to try and qualify for europe.:confused:

Still going to go on an almighty bender round europe though:thumbsup:

Get it up yous ya yam *****:devil:

monktonharp
15-05-2010, 07:52 PM
what's Hibernian (Scotland)'s co'efficient then?:confused:

Darth Hibbie
15-05-2010, 07:54 PM

6.158 apparently. Would not have been enough to get seeded last year :boo hoo:

Barney McGrew
15-05-2010, 07:55 PM

See post #3 :cool2:

Westie1875
15-05-2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ekassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html)

Right...so, if for arguement sake, Austria Vienna, who have a coefficient of 16.915 (more than Hibs), play OFK Belgrade of Serbia in the 2nd round who have a coefficient of 2.800 which is less than Hibs, if OFK were to win they would be seeded above Hibs cause they take the seeding of the team they've just beaten.

So if that's right, Hibs have to be amongst the top 35 seeds BEFORE the 2nd round even starts...maybe. :greengrin

So we won't know until the 2nd round draw is made then?

monktonharp
15-05-2010, 08:02 PM
See post #3 :cool2:well spotted:greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-05-2010, 08:14 PM
So we won't know until the 2nd round draw is made then?

I would think we would know once the 1st round is over. The draw for the 1st and 2nd rounds are done at the same time.

It's still all up in the air at the moment. For example the 3rd place team in the Danish league could be anything from 5.470-24.970 depending on who finishes 3rd.

Even if Hibs are unseeded in the 3rd round, if we got lucky and drew an either/or from the 2nd round, we could actually get a team who are ranked lower than Hibs if the unseeded team beat the seeded team, or we could get Juventus. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
15-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Hearts are definitely seedy. Rix, Wee Airdrie Jambo, Foulkes, Vlads finances, den mothers etc. If they got into Europe they would be top seedy's.

Irish_Steve
15-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Hearts are definitely seedy. Rix, Wee Airdrie Jambo, Foulkes, Vlads finances, den mothers etc. If they got into Europe they would be top seedy's.

I thought they were mini-jaffa`s ergo, seedless

Long suffering
15-05-2010, 08:26 PM
slightly off topic could we draw motherwell if they win in the 2nd qualifier? that would be exciting :greengrin:yawn:

scoopyboy
15-05-2010, 08:33 PM
A couple of results has worked in our favour tonight.

It now looks likely we will be seeded.

Of the thirty teams that enter in our round we have a higher coefficient than 10 of them.

Robbie1875
15-05-2010, 08:35 PM
slightly off topic could we draw motherwell if they win in the 2nd qualifier? that would be exciting :greengrin:yawn:

Na, teams from the same country get kept apart for the qualifiers IIRC.

BenjiOscar
15-05-2010, 10:09 PM
There is 70 teams and 35 ties so 38th wouldn't be seeded.yep, you're right. Got my rounds mixed up. Sorry 'bout that.

higgy0418
15-05-2010, 10:22 PM
is the club coefficient not also something to do with the nations world ranking as well. and since scotland are not in the world cup we are likely going to drop in the world ranking making our coefficient worse.

however i could well have pulled that out my arse

hibs0666
16-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Looking at Bert's page, I reckon we cannot be lower than 32nd in the rankings and will therefore definitely be seeded in the third round draw. :thumbsup:

Mind you, I'm thick as ****. :wink:

micksoo
16-05-2010, 07:53 PM
is the club coefficient not also something to do with the nations world ranking as well. and since scotland are not in the world cup we are likely going to drop in the world ranking making our coefficient worse.

however i could well have pulled that out my arse

It is not a world ranking: it is based upon an average of points achieved by Scottish CLUBS in europe over the previous 5 years.

Gordon Quinn
16-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Looking at Bert's page, I reckon we cannot be lower than 32nd in the rankings and will therefore definitely be seeded in the third round draw. :thumbsup:

Mind you, I'm thick as ****. :wink:

Ok. After reading this I am happy we will be seeded. Could someone do the honours and give some examples of teams we might get.
Please.

Pedantic_Hibee
16-05-2010, 08:05 PM
This is all terribly confusing and seems like a lot of hassle.

I think Petrie should call up Platini & Co. and tell them that we're just gonna leave it.

jgl07
16-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok. After reading this I am happy we will be seeded. Could someone do the honours and give some examples of teams we might get.
Please.
F C Lucern
Inter Turku (Finland)
Hajuk Split
IFK Gothenburg
Genk
Cercle Brugge
Honka
OFK Belgrade
Lausanne

Monts
16-05-2010, 08:27 PM
If we win this tie do we go to the group stages or is there another round before that?

jgl07
16-05-2010, 08:36 PM
If we win this tie do we go to the group stages or is there another round before that?
There is another round before the Group Stages, the Playoff Round.

Monts
16-05-2010, 08:42 PM
There is another round before the Group Stages, the Playoff Round.

And is that against other teams from our round, like Liverpool, juventus, etc or against teams entering at that round like Dundee united? Or both?

hibs0666
16-05-2010, 08:48 PM
And is that against other teams from our round, like Liverpool, juventus, etc or against teams entering at that round like Dundee united? Or both?

This mob have already qualified for the 4th qualifying round:

FC Porto Por
CSKA Moscow Rus
PSV Eindhoven Ned
Lille OSC Fra
Bayer Leverkusen Ger
Paris Saint-Germain Fra
Club Brugge Bel
Palermo Ita
Manchester City Eng
Aston Villa Eng
Lokomotiv Moscow Rus
Metalist Kharkiv Ukr
Feyenoord Ned
Real Mallorca Esp
Napoli Ita
Borussia Dortmund Ger
CW Gre
Grasshoppers Zürich Sui
Trabzonspor Tur
Tavria Simferopol Ukr
CW Rom
EL2 Rom
Nordsjælland / Getafe (depends on Spanish cup final)
Dundee United Sco

Monts
16-05-2010, 08:51 PM
ok thanks :thumbsup:
This mob have already qualified for the 4th qualifying round:

FC Porto Por
CSKA Moscow Rus
PSV Eindhoven Ned
Lille OSC Fra
Bayer Leverkusen Ger
Paris Saint-Germain Fra
Club Brugge Bel
Palermo Ita
Manchester City Eng
Aston Villa Eng
Lokomotiv Moscow Rus
Metalist Kharkiv Ukr
Feyenoord Ned
Real Mallorca Esp
Napoli Ita
Borussia Dortmund Ger
CW Gre
Grasshoppers Zürich Sui
Trabzonspor Tur
Tavria Simferopol Ukr
CW Rom
EL2 Rom
Nordsjælland / Getafe (depends on Spanish cup final)
Dundee United Sco

jgl07
16-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Liverpool, Juventus etc coming in at the third round but Hibs will avoid them if seeded.

If Hibs make the Playoff Round that will be where the 'big matches' againsts the like of Man City, Liverpool, Villa, are possible.

NaeTechnoHibby
17-05-2010, 01:34 AM
F C Lucern
Inter Turku (Finland)
Hajuk SplitIFK Gothenburg
Genk
Cercle Brugge
Honka
OFK Belgrade
Lausanne

That's a nice city and would be a long awaited re-vist :thumbsup:

You lads (and us lassies) will drop your eyeballs out of your sockets at their inhabitants :greengrin

A University City, not unlike ourselves, and lovely old place...

Having said all that, I visited before the "war" and it might not be the same, however I hope it is :agree:

Billy
17-05-2010, 03:58 AM
That's a nice city and would be a long awaited re-vist :thumbsup:

You lads (and us lassies) will drop your eyeballs out of your sockets at their inhabitants :greengrin

A University City, not unlike ourselves, and lovely old place...

Having said all that, I visited before the "war" and it might not be the same, however I hope it is :agree:

:agree: It is :drool: Can't beat sitting down by the harbour watching the...erm world go by!! :greengrin

"Hello, pretty ladies!":greengrin

scoopyboy
17-05-2010, 11:57 AM
It's still very tight as to whether we will be seeded or not in the 3rd round draw.

A couple of matches went against us yesterday.

Brondby qualified in third place yesterday in the Danish League and they have a higher coefficient than us. If they hadn't finished third and well into the second half it looked like they would finish fourth then the 3rd place team (Elsborg) would have been below us.

Last night in Belgium Genk qualified and they have a higher coefficient than us. If they had lost then we would have been a place higher in the rankings.

We could do with Seville beating Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night in the Spanish Cup final.

SneakersO'Toole
17-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Does being seeded affect whether you play away from home 1st or 2nd leg?

scoopyboy
17-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Does being seeded affect whether you play away from home 1st or 2nd leg?

no

SneakersO'Toole
17-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Also, were Aberdeen who finished 4th last year seeded when they played that Czech team?

SneakersO'Toole
17-05-2010, 07:25 PM
no

Thanks mate.

Just trying to get my holidays sorted out as there is no way I'm missing another Euro away trip. Dnipro was beyond words for enjoyment.

james62
17-05-2010, 07:45 PM
We could do with Seville beating Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night in the Spanish Cup final.

I worked out that we need either this to happen or Viktoria Plzen to beat Jablonec in the Czech cup final and we'll be seeded.

jgl07
17-05-2010, 07:53 PM
It's still very tight as to whether we will be seeded or not in the 3rd round draw.

A couple of matches went against us yesterday.

Brondby qualified in third place yesterday in the Danish League and they have a higher coefficient than us. If they hadn't finished third and well into the second half it looked like they would finish fourth then the 3rd place team (Elsborg) would have been below us.

Last night in Belgium Genk qualified and they have a higher coefficient than us. If they had lost then we would have been a place higher in the rankings.

Hopefully Sevilla will deliver for Hibs on Wednesday?

The other result to look out for is the Czech Cup Final on Tuesday.

If Viktoria Pizen (4.398) beat Jablonec (4.398) this will be a good result as they have a lower coefficient than Hibs. Jablonec are already in the Third Round through league position and if they win the Cup, it promotes Banka Ostrava (7.395) into the Third Round. This in turn allows Teplice (6,895) into the Second Round.

The other issue is Motherwell who are on the same coefficient as Hibs (6.158) but are shown as above Hibs in the Rankings presumably on countback?

If both the Spanish Cup and the Czech Cup results go against Hibs, I would guess that Motherwell (or whoever beats them) will be ranked 35 in the Third Round (seeded) and Hibs will be ranked 36 (unseeded).

It's all very knife edged.

scoopyboy
17-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I worked out that we need either this to happen or Viktoria Plzen to beat Jablonec in the Czech cup final and we'll be seeded.

agreed

nonshinyfinish
17-05-2010, 08:19 PM
'Mon the Sevilla/some Czech mob!

scoopyboy
17-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Hopefully Sevilla will deliver for Hibs on Wednesday?

The other result to look out for is the Czech Cup Final on Tuesday.

If Viktoria Pizen (4.398) beat Jablonec (4.398) this will be a good result as they have a lower coefficient than Hibs. Jablonec are already in the Third Round through league position and if they win the Cup, it promotes Banka Ostrava (7.395) into the Third Round. This in turn allows Teplice (6,895) into the Second Round.

The other issue is Motherwell who are on the same coefficient as Hibs (6.158) but are shown as above Hibs in the Rankings presumably on countback?

If both the Spanish Cup and the Czech Cup results go against Hibs, I would guess that Motherwell (or whoever beats them) will be ranked 35 in the Third Round (seeded) and Hibs will be ranked 36 (unseeded).

It's all very knife edged.

We are ranked joint 183rd with Motherwell.

Westie1875
17-05-2010, 08:32 PM
We are ranked joint 183rd with Motherwell.

What happens if they get through the 2nd round and its down to one seeded place left between the two of us, would it go to them or us?

nonshinyfinish
17-05-2010, 08:35 PM
What happens if they get through the 2nd round and its down to one seeded place left between the two of us, would it go to them or us?

Then it's tic-tac between the managers, Yogi's massive feet will triumph. :agree:

jgl07
17-05-2010, 08:38 PM
It doesn't matter if they get though or not as the draw will be before the Second Round is completed.

.Sean.
17-05-2010, 08:53 PM
What a load of nonsense all this seeded, unseeded, co-efficient etc business is. All the teams should simply be put in a hat and drawn at random :greengrin

Green Man
18-05-2010, 07:05 PM
:confused::confused::confused::dizzy:

jgl07
18-05-2010, 07:07 PM
So far so good.

Viktoria are leading 1-0 at half time.

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2010/05/18/czech-republic/pohar-cmfs/fk-jablonec-97/fc-viktoria-plzen/933512/

james62
18-05-2010, 07:11 PM
1-0 Viktoria Plzen at half time in the Czech cup final so it's looking good so far :thumbsup:

james62
18-05-2010, 07:12 PM
So far so good.

Viktoria are leading 1-0 at half time.

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2010/05/18/czech-republic/pohar-cmfs/fk-jablonec-97/fc-viktoria-plzen/933512/

Beat me to it :greengrin

micksoo
18-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I make it we need the Czech team and Seville to do us a favour for us to be seeded. I e-mailed Bert Kassies who runs the website and he said Motherwell will definately be ranked above based on the qualifying points they achieved was last year and ours was 5 years ago.

53 mins gone still 1-0 Plzen

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-05-2010, 07:39 PM
1-1

simple
18-05-2010, 07:43 PM
2 - 1 now :thumbsup:

simple
18-05-2010, 07:45 PM
2 - 1 now :thumbsup:

Actually I think im wrong, it says 2-1 but not sure if it is :boo hoo:

simple
18-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Actually I think im wrong, it says 2-1 but not sure if it is :boo hoo:

Ha ha, I was right the website was just slow in updating the scorer at the bottom of the page :thumbsup:

zlatan
18-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Ha ha, I was right the website was just slow in updating the scorer at the bottom of the page :thumbsup:

2-1 to Plzen with 15 minutes left.

micksoo
18-05-2010, 07:48 PM
:thumbsup:

ronaldo7
18-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Game over. Viktoria win 2-1:thumbsup:

simple
18-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Full Time 2-1 Viktoria :thumbsup:

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Plzen are our Czech mates.:thumbsup:

sunshine1875
18-05-2010, 08:09 PM
What are we like? Looking out for the score in a Czech game featuring two teams I have never heard of.

Amyway from today's Scotsman:

"Hibs will enter the Europa League in the third qualifying round and are unlikely to be seeded. Liverpool, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon and VfB Stuttgart are some of the big name opponents who could be heading for Easter Road at this stage of the competition. Scottish Cup winners Dundee United will join the Europa League fray in the fourth qualifying round, the last barrier before the group stage, and will almost certainly be unseeded. Also entering in this round, and possible opponents for the Tannadice club, are Porto, CSKA Moscow, PSV Eindhoven, Bayer Leverkusen and the English duo of Manchester City and Aston Villa.
"

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Daunting-ties-await--unseeded.6300443.jp (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Daunting-ties-await--unseeded.6300443.jp)

PaulSmith
18-05-2010, 08:10 PM
So we're seeded?

micksoo
18-05-2010, 08:14 PM
What are we like? Looking out for the score in a Czech game featuring two teams I have never heard of.

Amyway from today's Scotsman:

"Hibs will enter the Europa League in the third qualifying round and are unlikely to be seeded. Liverpool, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon and VfB Stuttgart are some of the big name opponents who could be heading for Easter Road at this stage of the competition. Scottish Cup winners Dundee United will join the Europa League fray in the fourth qualifying round, the last barrier before the group stage, and will almost certainly be unseeded. Also entering in this round, and possible opponents for the Tannadice club, are Porto, CSKA Moscow, PSV Eindhoven, Bayer Leverkusen and the English duo of Manchester City and Aston Villa.
"

We will be seeded if Seville beat Ath Madrid tomorrow night. Motherwell are now certain to be seeded in round 2 and 3.

I would rather get a winable tie in the 3rd round and a big one in the 4th = 2 trips.

jgl07
18-05-2010, 08:17 PM
So we're seeded?
Yes unless Bert Kassies has got it wrong.

Motherwell and Hibs will be 34 and 35 in the rankings (out of 70) for the Third Round.

They could both go up a place if Seville win the Spanish Cup on Wednesday.

micksoo
18-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope you are right.

I make it Motherwell 34th and Hibs 35th only if Seville win tomorrow.

We will soon see!

scoopyboy
18-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes unless Bert Kassies has got it wrong.

Motherwell and Hibs will be 34 and 35 in the rankings (out of 70) for the Third Round.

They could both go up a place if Seville win the Spanish Cup on Wednesday.

By my reckoning if Atletico win we will be number 36 which means we will miss out but if Seville win we will be 35 which means we have scraped in.

micksoo
18-05-2010, 08:33 PM
By my reckoning if Atletico win we will be number 36 which means we will miss out but if Seville win we will be 35 which means we have scraped in.

:agree:

Westie1875
18-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Wouldn't that just be typical Hibs, always the hard way. :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I worked out that we need either this to happen or Viktoria Plzen to beat Jablonec in the Czech cup final and we'll be seeded.Well done Plzen, a couple of us were there a couple of Fridays ago, wouldnae mind going back, just over an hour from Prague on the choo choo.

Luna_Asylum
18-05-2010, 08:48 PM
i seriously hate seeding but as we are odds on to get stuffed no matter who we face would it not be more fun and better $ if we get stuffed by someone good (seeded)?

jgl07
18-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes I agree.

The coefficient for Randers (Denmark) who came in via the Fair Play thing has been changed from that published yesterday (5.480) up to 6.470.

zlatan
18-05-2010, 08:50 PM
i seriously hate seeding but as we are odds on to get stuffed no matter who we face would it not be more fun and better $ if we get stuffed by someone good (seeded)?

My thoughts also :hilarious

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 08:50 PM
It's win or lose for me as Sevilla are my Spanish team.

Although since the sacking of Manuel Jiménez a month or two ago we have looked more like what we were a couple of years ago under Juande Ramos, we have been scoring goals for fun recently and just beat Athletico Madrid 10 days ago so i think if we can bring our recent league form that has sealed us 4th spot into the Final then i think Sevilla will win. And also Athletico Madrid just haven't been very good this season.

Gmack7
18-05-2010, 09:06 PM
It's win or lose for me as Sevilla are my Spanish team.

Although since the sacking of Manuel Jiménez a month or two ago we have looked more like what we were a couple of years ago under Juande Ramos, we have been scoring goals for fun recently and just beat Athletico Madrid 10 days ago so i think if we can bring our recent league form that has sealed us 4th spot into the Final then i think Sevilla will win. And also Athletico Madrid just haven't been very good this season.
did they not just win the europa league

sunshine1875
18-05-2010, 09:13 PM

Just what I was thinking!

What happens if Sevilla or AM win? Why do we want Sevilla to win.

Wikipedia states:

If Atlético Madrid lose the Copa del Rey final and thus additionally qualify for the third qualifying round as losing finalists
Atlético Madrid are moved from the third qualifying round to the group stage. To compensate: Inter Turku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Inter_Turku) are entered into the third qualifying round,
Winners of 2009–10 Maltese Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Maltese_Cup) and Tre Fiori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.P._Tre_Fiori) are entered into the second qualifying round If Atlético Madrid win the Copa del Rey and thus additionally qualify for the play-off round as cup winners Atlético Madrid are moved from the Play-off round to the Group Stage. To compensate: Nordsjælland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Nordsj%C3%A6lland) are entered into the play-off round,
Inter Turku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Inter_Turku) are entered into the third qualifying round,
Winners of 2009–10 Maltese Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Maltese_Cup) and Tre Fiori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.P._Tre_Fiori) are entered into the second qualifying round

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 09:20 PM

I mean in the league.

They weren't far off the relegation zone after a couple of months into the season. Although they sacked their manager too. I would still class Sevilla as favourites.

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Wikipedia states:

If Atlético Madrid lose the Copa del Rey final and thus additionally qualify for the third qualifying round as losing finalists
Atlético Madrid are moved from the third qualifying round to the group stage. To compensate: Inter Turku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Inter_Turku) are entered into the third qualifying round,
Winners of 2009–10 Maltese Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Maltese_Cup) and Tre Fiori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.P._Tre_Fiori) are entered into the second qualifying round If Atlético Madrid win the Copa del Rey and thus additionally qualify for the play-off round as cup winners Atlético Madrid are moved from the Play-off round to the Group Stage. To compensate: Nordsjælland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Nordsj%C3%A6lland) are entered into the play-off round,
Inter Turku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Inter_Turku) are entered into the third qualifying round,
Winners of 2009–10 Maltese Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Maltese_Cup) and Tre Fiori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.P._Tre_Fiori) are entered into the second qualifying round

I'm not entirely sure.

But i think the case is that if Sevilla win, we get seeded for the 3rd round because our co-efficient is high enough, but if AM win then we will be unseeded for the 3rd round draw, resulting in us possibly being drawn with the likes of Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon etc.. not quite sure how but i'm sure someone on here will know.

scoopyboy
18-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Wikipedia states:

If Atletico Madrid win, the Norwegian Cup winners who are ranked below us move into the same round as Dundee Utd and Getafe who are ranked higher than us stay in our round. Result we are unseeded.

If Seville win then Getafe move a round ahead and we are ranked above the Norwegians who will stay in our round. Result we are seeded.

jgl07
18-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Wikipedia states:

If Sevilla win the Copa del Rey as they are already qualified for the CL and Athletico are in the Group Stages of the EL as holders, this gives a place in the Play-off Round to Getafe who are next in the Spanish League Table.

If Athletico win the Copa del Rey, for some reason Nordsjælland get the Play-off Round place (instead of the Third Round) and Getafe remain in the Third Round.

The effect of Athletico winning is to take out a team, Nordsjælland, with a lower coefficient than Hibs and replace them with a team, Getafe, with a much higher coefficient.

It's all a bit too complicated.

IberianHibernian
18-05-2010, 09:58 PM
According to Spanish press, UEFA have confirmed that Villarreal ( finished 7th in Spanish league ) have not qualified for Europa League whatever result of Spanish cup final on Wednesday . Sevilla will be in last round of Champions League qualifying in August and Atletico Madrid in Europa League groups as holders . Mallorca will start a round ahead of us , not sure if Getafe start then or at same stage as us . Seems a bit unfair on Spanish clubs ( no extra place despite Atletico winning EL ) and not sure if Spanish cup final result will really affect our chances of being seeded or not . Getting a Spanish or Italian club in July or August might be a good thing since it`d be several weeks before their leagues start .

scoopyboy
19-05-2010, 05:50 AM
According to Spanish press, UEFA have confirmed that Villarreal ( finished 7th in Spanish league ) have not qualified for Europa League whatever result of Spanish cup final on Wednesday . Sevilla will be in last round of Champions League qualifying in August and Atletico Madrid in Europa League groups as holders . Mallorca will start a round ahead of us , not sure if Getafe start then or at same stage as us . Seems a bit unfair on Spanish clubs ( no extra place despite Atletico winning EL ) and not sure if Spanish cup final result will really affect our chances of being seeded or not . Getting a Spanish or Italian club in July or August might be a good thing since it`d be several weeks before their leagues start .

Its nothing to do with Villareal, its a question of where Getafe go in.

If Getafe stay in our round we wont be seeded. We need Seville to win so Getafe move to play off round.

Game on live tonight on Sky Sports 3.

jgl07
19-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Its nothing to do with Villareal, its a question of where Getafe go in.

If Getafe stay in our round we wont be seeded. We need Seville to win so Getafe move to play off round.
So you are saying we want Getafe to get ta f*** out of the Third Round!

sunshine1875
19-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Clear as mud, but now I understand.

The attached shows numbers of all confirmed and likely entrants. Even if the result of the Spanish Cup Final does not go our way, we could always hope for a higher seeded club (i.e. Motherwell or Randers) being knocked out before entering our round.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html

jgl07
19-05-2010, 12:09 PM

The attached shows numbers of all confirmed and likely entrants. Even if the result of the Spanish Cup Final does not go our way, we could always hope for a higher seeded club (i.e. Motherwell or Randers) being knocked out before entering our round.

That will not work as the draw is completed before the previous round is held.

sunshine1875
19-05-2010, 12:14 PM
That will not work as the draw is completed before the previous round is held.

:grr: oh, no!

scoopyboy
19-05-2010, 01:29 PM
So you are saying we want Getafe to get ta f*** out of the Third Round!

in a nutshell my friend.

micksoo
19-05-2010, 01:30 PM

If a non seeded club knocks out a seeded club in the 2nd qualifying round they then take their ranking forwars!

jgl07
19-05-2010, 07:37 PM
1-0 Sevilla!

HibeeMG
19-05-2010, 07:38 PM
1-0 Sevilla!

Peach of a hit too!

Get in there!

seanraff07
19-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't have Sky Sports but all the streams on the internet don't start till 9?:confused:

Sevilla are my Spanish team aswell, gutted.:grr:

seanraff07
19-05-2010, 08:21 PM
HT Athletico Madrid 0-1 Sevilla.:thumbsup:

ronaldo7
19-05-2010, 09:17 PM
3 minutes to go:wink:

ronaldo7
19-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Sevilla 2-0:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-05-2010, 09:22 PM
woopwoop

HibeeMG
19-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm just waiting on someone coming on to say we need to wait for the result of the Finnish Euro Play-Off or something else random.

A result will come along to f*** things up for us! :wink:

scoopyboy
19-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm just waiting on someone coming on to say we need to wait for the result of the Finnish Euro Play-Off or something else random.

A result will come along to f*** things up for us! :wink:

Nope, that is that.

We are the last seed for the third round draw which takes a helluva lot of good teams out of the equation.

Should say that if we get through there is not a chance we will be seeded in the next round.

HibeeMG
19-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Nope, that is that.

We are the last seed for the third round draw which takes a helluva lot of good teams out of the equation.

Should say that if we get through there is not a chance we will be seeded in the next round.

It's good to hear!

The main thing is that if we get into the next round we'll at least have our season up and running and be in with a fighting chance. I'll have us take anyone on at a packed ER!!

GGTTH

jgl07
19-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Now we will hope for a favourable draw,

There will be no glamour match for Hibs in the Thord Round.

Main thing is to avoid a Danish or Swedish or Norwegian team. Even at the end of July, I would not relish Hibs, barely out of preseason, facing a decent team in the middle of their season.

At least Hibs will avoid OB Odense and Elfsborg (who we know well) as they will be seeded.

IberianHibernian
19-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I suppose it`s good that we`ll probably be seeded but if we weren`t seeded and got a big name would we not still have a chance - Liverpool at the end of July will be without Torres and Reina and maybe Gerrard and Carragher too Carragher too ( and probably some others from World Cup -Mascherano etc ) .

zlatan
19-05-2010, 10:28 PM
FC Luzern Sui 5.675
Nordsjælland / Getafe 5.470 - 33.951 (depends on Spanish cup final)
Slovan Bratislava Svk 4.666
FC Beroe Stara Zagora Bul 4.400
Viktoria Plzen Cze 4.395
FK Jablonec Cze 4.395
IFK Göteborg Swe 3.838
Apollon Limassol Cyp 3.599
Aalesunds FK Nor 3.480
Hajduk Split Cro 3.466
Inter Turku Fin 2.899
CW Pol 2.508

So these are the teams straight into the 3rd round we could possibly face, correct?

I'd fancy us against 3 of them, excellent.

seanraff07
19-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I suppose it`s good that we`ll probably be seeded but if we weren`t seeded and got a big name would we not still have a chance - Liverpool at the end of July will be without Torres and Reina and maybe Gerrard and Carragher too Carragher too ( and probably some others from World Cup -Mascherano etc ) .

Plus their gash!:greengrin

Sandy
20-05-2010, 07:56 AM
FC Luzern Sui 5.675
[Nordsjælland[ / Getafe 5.470 - 33.951 (depends on Spanish cup final)
Viktoria Plzen Cze 4.395
FK Jablonec Cze 4.395
IFK Göteborg Swe 3.838
Aalesunds FK Nor 3.480
Hajduk Split Cro 3.466
Inter Turku Fin 2.899
CW Pol 2.508

So these are the teams straight into the 3rd round we could possibly face, correct?

The two in bold are the ones I would like to avoid, the rest, bring it on.

jgl07
20-05-2010, 09:07 AM
FC Luzern Sui 5.675
Viktoria Plzen Cze 4.395
FK Jablonec Cze 4.395
IFK Göteborg Swe 3.838
Aalesunds FK Nor 3.480
Hajduk Split Cro 3.466
Inter Turku Fin 2.899
CW Pol 2.508

Here are some other teams that could progress from the earlier rounds:

Kalmar FF * Swe 5.838
Lausanne Sports Sui 5.675
Cercle Brugge Bel 5.580
Bnei Yehuda * Isr 5.275
Stabæk IF Nor 4.980
FK Ventspils Lat 4.649
Molde FK Nor 4.480
Maccabi Tel-Aviv Isr 3.775
Dukla Banska Bystrica Svk 3.166
FC Nitra * Svk 3.166
Honka Espoo Fin 2.899
MyPa-47 * Fin 2.899
NK Maribor Slo 2.891
Gefle IF * Swe 2.838
Dinamo Minsk (*) Bls 2.808
OFK Belgrade Srb 2.800
Spartak Zlatibor Voda Srb 2.800

Ritchie
20-05-2010, 10:28 AM
FC Luzern Sui 5.675
Viktoria Plzen Cze 4.395
FK Jablonec Cze 4.395
IFK Göteborg Swe 3.838
Aalesunds FK Nor 3.480
Hajduk Split Cro 3.466
Inter Turku Fin 2.899
CW Pol 2.508

a wee trip to cyprus would be teckle!! :agree:

Billy Whizz
20-05-2010, 10:50 AM
The fans would love a trip to Cyprus/Croatia etc in August but with temperatures of around 40degrees it would be murder for the players.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Here are some other teams that could progress from the earlier rounds:

Kalmar FF * Swe 5.838
Lausanne Sports Sui 5.675
Cercle Brugge Bel 5.580
Bnei Yehuda * Isr 5.275
Stabæk IF Nor 4.980
FK Ventspils Lat 4.649
Molde FK Nor 4.480
Maccabi Tel-Aviv Isr 3.775
Dukla Banska Bystrica Svk 3.166
FC Nitra * Svk 3.166
Honka Espoo Fin 2.899
MyPa-47 * Fin 2.899
NK Maribor Slo 2.891
Gefle IF * Swe 2.838
Dinamo Minsk (*) Bls 2.808
OFK Belgrade Srb 2.800
Spartak Zlatibor Voda Srb 2.800Stopped off in Belgrade going to/from Macedonia for the Scotland game for a couple of nights, that would do for me! :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
20-05-2010, 12:26 PM
A return visit to Minsk to play Dynamo is top of my wish list!!

MixuMac
21-05-2010, 09:49 AM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Sport-briefing-Hibees39-Euro-boost.6311007.jp:thumbsup:

jgl07
21-05-2010, 12:01 PM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Sport-briefing-Hibees39-Euro-boost.6311007.jp:thumbsup:
We knew that on Wednesday night as soon as Sevilla's second goal went in.

The Evening News way late with the information as usual. Especially as they were reporting that Hibs would be unlikely to be seeded earlier this week.

seanraff07
21-05-2010, 04:02 PM
The paragraph underneath the one about Hibs is just as interesting... :faf:

Jim44
21-05-2010, 09:47 PM
The paragraph underneath the one about Hibs is just as interesting... :faf:

The guy needs a lesson in diplomacy. Beggars are'nt choosers if your an out of work football manager. Still, if he waits long enough, the right club, worthy of his sevices will turn up. :rolleyes:

matty_f
21-05-2010, 09:57 PM
How rank are the comments under the Scotsman articles, by the way.
Any time I read an article on there the comments are dominated by complete fannies - mostly Yams too, by the look of it.

Most of the time their slaverings have SFA to do with the article in the first place. Why anyone would bother responding to those trumpets is beyond me.

Sergey
21-05-2010, 10:04 PM
How rank are the comments under the Scotsman articles, by the way.
Any time I read an article on there the comments are dominated by complete fannies - mostly Yams too, by the look of it.

Most of the time their slaverings have SFA to do with the article in the first place. Why anyone would bother responding to those trumpets is beyond me.

There's half a dozen eejits even pretending to be me :panic:

I might be a saddo....but pretending to be a saddo is a different fish kettle of.

Cameron1875
21-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Or just the 3rd round qualifier...:confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-05-2010, 10:45 PM

IF we get past the 3rd round we won't be seeded in the play off round.

matty_f
21-05-2010, 10:54 PM
There's half a dozen eejits even pretending to be me :panic:

I might be a saddo....but pretending to be a saddo is a different fish kettle of.

I remember someone posted with my name on there a couple of years back and I had to report it to the Scotsman admins to get it deleted. I think it even sparked a 'Matty Fairnie is a Yam' type thread on the PM board (TQM started it, IIRC).

We all had a good chuckle at that...

jgl07
22-05-2010, 12:55 AM
There are three Qualifying Rounds, Hibs are seeded in Round Three. Motherwell will be seeded in Rounds Two and Three.

After Round Three, there is the Play-off Round. This used to be known as Round One. Hibs came into this round in 2002 (v AEK) and 2005 (v Dnipro). Dundee United, Hibs, and Motherwell (if the latter two make it) will not be seeded in this round. It will be a big ask to make it through to the Group Stages.

Hearts and Aberdeen have made it to the Group Stages and Aberdeen made it through the Group Stages. However the seedings were more favourable to Scottish teams then.

Cameron1875
22-05-2010, 01:23 AM
There are three Qualifying Rounds, Hibs are seeded in Round Three. Motherwell will be seeded in Rounds Two and Three.

After Round Three, there is the Play-off Round. This used to be known as Round One. Hibs came into this round in 2002 (v AEK) and 2005 (v Dnipro). Dundee United, Hibs, and Motherwell (if the latter two make it) will not be seeded in this round. It will be a big ask to make it through to the Group Stages.

Hearts and Aberdeen have made it to the Group Stages and Aberdeen made it through the Group Stages. However the seedings were more favourable to Scottish teams then.

Why do uefa always change the names of things :grr::greengrin.

Cheers for the info, gonna be tough but if calderwood can get a team to last 32 i'm sure we have a chance of getting to groups.