PDA

View Full Version : Renault Clio 1.6 1999 - Induction Kit Problems

Dinkydoo
14-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I’ve recently bought a Ripspeed Chrome Shielded Induction kit for my 1999 1.6 Renault Clio. I fitted it last night (whipped off the air filter and clipped it onto my Induction pipe). The problem is, my model of Clio does tend to overheat (it has a built in fan that comes on automatically – so that isn’t really the problem). This is presumably because it doesn’t intake enough air – resulting in the Induction kit being next to useless. The more cold air, the better your Induction kit works.

I’ve got my hands on a spare induction pipe and I’m looking for a way to make my own air feed that would feed cold air directly into my cone filter.

Anyone got any ideas of where the best place to feed the air from would be and if it would actually work? In theory it seems to work (logically speaking) but since I’m not exactly an ‘expert’ when it comes to cars, I’d really appreciate a bit of advice.

Anyone had this problem with Clio’s before…..

Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place!

fordie2
14-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I’ve recently bought a Ripspeed Chrome Shielded Induction kit for my 1999 1.6 Renault Clio. I fitted it last night (whipped off the air filter and clipped it onto my Induction pipe). The problem is, my model of Clio does tend to overheat (it has a built in fan that comes on automatically – so that isn’t really the problem). This is presumably because it doesn’t intake enough air – resulting in the Induction kit being next to useless. The more cold air, the better your Induction kit works.

I’ve got my hands on a spare induction pipe and I’m looking for a way to make my own air feed that would feed cold air directly into my cone filter.

Anyone got any ideas of where the best place to feed the air from would be and if it would actually work? In theory it seems to work (logically speaking) but since I’m not exactly an ‘expert’ when it comes to cars, I’d really appreciate a bit of advice.

Anyone had this problem with Clio’s before…..

Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place!

Cars tend to overheat when theres something wrong! All cars have a cooling fan! when did you last service your car? When did you last check your coolant?

Judas Iscariot
14-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Feed the cold air from your front bumper..

But!!

A induction kit will do **** ALL for performance!

It will make your car sound loud, raspy, boy racerish etc but is actually a waste of time and money..

A drilled airbox with a perfomance panel filter and increased cold air ducting will get the best gains from your engine :agree:

Number69
15-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Feed the cold air from your front bumper..

But!!

A induction kit will do **** ALL for performance!

It will make your car sound loud, raspy, boy racerish etc but is actually a waste of time and money..

A drilled airbox with a perfomance panel filter and increased cold air ducting will get the best gains from your engine :agree:

Pish, 1.4 astra SXI and a ****ty wee induction kit from halfords (ripspeedtoo) has improved the performance daramatically. Aye it makes a noise but it also adds about 5-7bhp aswell.

Anyway to O.P best thing to do is buy a foil induction pipe and have it connected into end of the filter that the kit isnt clamped to and make it point towards the new filter.

Judas Iscariot
15-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Pish, 1.4 astra SXI and a ****ty wee induction kit from halfords (ripspeedtoo) has improved the performance daramatically. Aye it makes a noise but it also adds about 5-7bhp aswell.

Anyway to O.P best thing to do is buy a foil induction pipe and have it connected into end of the filter that the kit isnt clamped to and make it point towards the new filter.

:faf:

No it hasn't..

I take it you had your car Dyno'd before the cheapo cone was fitted then Dyno'd afterwards..

On the same Dyno aye?

Number69
15-05-2010, 10:59 AM
:faf:

No it hasn't..

I take it you had your car Dyno'd before the cheapo cone was fitted then Dyno'd afterwards..

On the same Dyno aye?

did I ***** I put my foot to the floor an took off :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
15-05-2010, 11:20 AM
did I ***** I put my foot to the floor an took off :thumbsup:

So you made the BHP increases up from the top of your head then :wink:

Number69
15-05-2010, 12:49 PM
aye from the top o my heed :)

Dinkydoo
17-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Cars tend to overheat when theres something wrong! All cars have a cooling fan! when did you last service your car? When did you last check your coolant?

Overheat was probably the wrong word - the engine tends to heat up quite quickly (a known problem with Clio's).

Car was serviced last summer and is due for an MOT soon. Coolant is fine also.

The problem is that the Induction kit hasn't done anything at all - even make a wee noise..... this (according to a mate) is because my engine simply doesn't intake enough air for the kit to work.

I've got one of them air feed pipes (that look like a giant slinky!) and going to have a look to see if I can sort the problem tonight - not much room to do anything under the bonnet mind you, bloody Renault!