PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific

SteveHFC
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Anyone watching it tonight.

--------
11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I have it recording, but I think I'll bin it, it's been very disappointing so far.

Hanks and Spielberg trying to do a repeat on 'Band of Brothers', and not quite managing.

And then there were the Eastwood classics as well.

Beefster
11-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I've enjoyed it so far but it's not on a par with Band of Brothers.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I've enjoyed it so far but it's not on a par with Band of Brothers.I've only watched the 1st couple and its not too bad, but, I doubt any war related series has or will ever match up to Band of Brothers. The scene where they have to lock up the Jews
in the camp again was one of the most moving tv moments I can remember.

Gatecrasher
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
iv been really enjoying the pacific only 3 more to go though :boo hoo:

iv also never seen band of brothers so if thats supposed to be better ill need to look that up :agree:

lyonhibs
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM

iv also never seen band of brothers so if thats supposed to be better ill need to look that up :agree:

:shocked: Call yourself a man??!! :bitchy: :greengrin

Get it bought, get a few beers and tell the missus to either piss off or shut the hell up.

It is ABSOLUTELY class - one of the few things I can watch on repeat and never get bored - just brilliant, though there are a few glaring inaccuracies having been on a BoB tour in Normandy.

It's still a fantastic TV programme :agree:

hibsbollah
12-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Get it bought, get a few beers and tell the missus to either piss off or shut the hell up.

It is ABSOLUTELY class - one of the few things I can watch on repeat and never get bored - just brilliant, though there are a few glaring inaccuracies having been on a BoB tour in Normandy.

It is fantastic viewing, undoutedly. I read the book recently which gives some extra background for those only familiar with the series.

Theres no doubt they skimmed over non-American involvement in the war, which in some ways is understandable since it was the story of a particular American Company. You'd be forgiven for thinking the other Allies were helpless bystanders sometimes:wink: I still love it though.

--------
12-05-2010, 09:53 AM

You will indeed, young man. I'd say it's one of the two or three most impressive pieces of film-making I've ever seen. My son lent me the box set. When I finally sat down to watch it, I ended up watching four episodes a night straight through - couldn't put the TV off. Totally awesome.

I've been looking again at The Pacific, and I guess I need to forget about B of B and the Eastwood films and just watch it for itself. Watch it for itself, in other words, and stop comparing it to what I think it should be. It really isn't fair me comparing it to something like B of B.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Fair shout Doddie!

Gatecrasher
13-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Cheers for the reviews about band of brothers, I feel a DVD purchase coming up

.Sean.
13-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Band of Brothers is ,quite simply, phenomenal. Watched it straight through 3 times and i'm planning to watch it again when I have a 2-week holiday in July. I watched 5 in a day once, without a break. It's THAT good.

Not watched any of The Pacific purely because I don't have Sky Movies. I'll more than likely buy the Boxset when it's released though.

Alex Trager
13-05-2010, 10:18 PM

B.O.B completely obliterates the pacific in terms of viewing, i watched the whole series for about the fifth time in one day last week, and went to the trouble of looking up the place where they lay overlooking foy on google earth where there is pictures of their foxholes.

the band of brothers series is completely true to life, in normandy the soldier-his name slips my mind- that was nearly hit by an exploding grenade and in B.o.B he says 'twice in one day'- this actually happened
FACT

the pacific is too hard too follow its too hollywood however i wished i had kept all the episodes recorded so i could hardcore them in one day. A week is too long to remember what happened last time

lyonhibs
17-05-2010, 08:35 PM
B.O.B completely obliterates the pacific in terms of viewing, i watched the whole series for about the fifth time in one day last week, and went to the trouble of looking up the place where they lay overlooking foy on google earth where there is pictures of their foxholes.

the band of brothers series is completely true to life, in normandy the soldier-his name slips my mind Pvt Alley- that was nearly hit by an exploding grenade and in B.o.B he says 'twice in one day'- this actually happened
FACT

the pacific is too hard too follow its too hollywood however i wished i had kept all the episodes recorded so i could hardcore them in one day. A week is too long to remember what happened last time

Ehhh, no, it's not. The action sequences are fantastically well done, but - for example - they got the death date - and representation - of Private Albert Blithe completely wrong.

You'd better bring your A game to the table if you want to dispute the above fact, cos - I promise - I'm a WW2 geek. :greengrin :thumbsup:

Anyway, not to distract from the overall point - The Pacific, good, Band of Brothers, absolutely exquisite!!

The

hibsbollah
18-05-2010, 07:31 AM
the band of brothers series is completely true to life

Not completely. They might quite a few tweaks for the US audience; 1. If you read the book its clear that Sobel (David Schwimmer character) deserves a lot more credit for the development of the company than he gets from the HBO series. Theres nothing in the book about the NCOs writing to the major threatening not to work with Sobel either. They also skim over the repeated quotes in the book that a lot of his men disliked him because he was Jewish. (I cant imagine the production team liking this very much).

As previously mentioned, its also inconceivable that the company never came across more British/Canadian/French/Australian/Black allied soldiers in the series. What we see is an American vs German war.