PDA

View Full Version : John Collins

Hillsidehibby
07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Does anyone think that we should offer him his job back? Do you think he would take it?

I am sure he would be more tactically astute and given the money yogi has been given, improve things dramatically.

francobaresi
07-05-2010, 08:33 AM
No, he left us... Let's move forwards not backwards...

GGTTH

GloryGlory
07-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Would actually like to see him as our Director of Youth Development, as I think dealing with and developing young talent may be his coaching forte. With a clear remit and support from the Board, I am sure that he could turn round the whole football culture at ER, in terms of technique, tactical awareness, lifestyle issues for professional athletes and general strength and conditioning. As he maximised his own talent, he could push young players to maximise theirs and Hibs would benefit hugely.

However, I would guess that his ambitions lie in getting a senior coaching position.

Hibs On Tour
07-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Does anyone think that we should offer him his job back? Do you think he would take it?

I am sure he would be more tactically astute and given the money yogi has been given, improve things dramatically.

Having a giraffe.

Spent and wasted more money than most Hibs managers during the time I've followed...

francobaresi
07-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Would actually like to see him as our Director of Youth Development, as I think dealing with and developing young talent may be his coaching forte. With a clear remit and support from the Board, I am sure that he could turn round the whole football culture at ER, in terms of technique, tactical awareness, lifestyle issues for professional athletes and general strength and conditioning. As he maximised his own talent, he could push young players to maximise theirs and Hibs would benefit hugely.

However, I would guess that his ambitions lie in getting a senior coaching position.

Good post, agree his ambitions lie elsewhere but undoubtedly we need someone to change the culture at Easter Road...

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
07-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Having a giraffe.

Spent and wasted more money than most Hibs managers during the time I've followed...

:agree: I don't get this fanfare about John Collins. Aye he won us a trophy for which i'm forever grateful but things went downhill fast.

Some of his signings were rank rotten and we were on an absolutely shocking run playing some awful football when he jumped ship.

A big no from me.

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Nah, i'm not saying he was a bad manager but i think he pretty much won us the CIS Cup with Mowbray's team.

Baader
07-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I like JC but in my opinion he had a terrible eye for a player and collectively made the worst signings I've seen since the Duffy era.

He wouldn't come back though.

Betty Boop
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Nah, i'm not saying he was a bad manager but i think he pretty much won us the CIS Cup with Mowbray's team.

Ah, that old chestnut again. :yawn:

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Ah, that old chestnut again. :yawn:
Just my opinion, who was in the CIS Cup winning team that wasn't in Mowbray's team? I can only think of Andy McNeil.

yekimevol
07-05-2010, 09:56 AM
NO:bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

The Modfather
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Just my opinion, who was in the CIS Cup winning team that wasn't in Mowbray's team? I can only think of Andy McNeil.

Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team, so not sure I understand what the point of this argument is.

I'd take Collins back in a heartbeat. Can't defend most, if not all of his signings, bit I firmly believe overall he would progress us as a club, and the attitude of Scottish footballers, even if it proved to be in spite of his signings.

HibbyAndy
07-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Maybe he would get Rob Jones to come back tae?

Septimus
07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Don't think that we need Collins. Any fitness guru who can get the players up to speed for ninety minutes would do. Of course it would have to be done without offending any of the poor souls.

Green forever
07-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Don't think that we need Collins. Any fitness guru who can get the players up to speed for ninety minutes would do. Of course it would have to be done without offending any of the poor souls.

I agree, whether his signings or tactics were any good is a matter of opinion but he did know the discipline and lifestyle that it takes to be a top athlete (footballer in this case), sadly too many players (who will never play at the level he played at, so he does know what he is talking about there) couldn't or wouldn't take it on board.

Their loss is/was our loss as this team has nowhere near the fitness levels of JC's team.

Iain G
07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Collins with the right management team around him, yes please, but leave Tommy Craig in Belgium or wherever he is... :greengrin

Zazu62
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Who did Collins sign when he was the manager?

Maka?

Who else?

:confused:

bighairyfaeleith
07-05-2010, 10:59 AM

You must have a short memory:greengrin

The Harp Awakes
07-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Yes, and Yes, but I think Yogi has to be given some time to sort things out.

If and when Yogi goes though, I'd take John Collins back in a heartbeat.

With the right backing from the Club and the players JC could have taken Hibs onto the next level. Unfortunately he got the backing of neither and he had no choice but leave the Club in the end.

Not to say that JC didn't get things wrong on the man-management side, he certainly did, but for me the players were a bunch of fragile, unprofessional, pansies who only cared about when their next trip to the pub was coming around.

The same fragile mentality remains at the Club today unfortunately.

Bayern Bru
07-05-2010, 11:14 AM
On a slightly unrelated note, I think Collins was linked with Gow and Smith at one point.

:stirrer:

Peevemor
07-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, and Yes, but I think Yogi has to be given some time to sort things out.

If and when Yogi goes though, I'd take John Collins back in a heartbeat.

With the right backing from the Club and the players JC could have taken Hibs onto the next level. Unfortunately he got the backing of neither and he had no choice but leave the Club in the end.

Not to say that JC didn't get things wrong on the man-management side, he certainly did, but for me the players were a bunch of fragile, unprofessional, pansies who only cared about when their next trip to the pub was coming around.

The same fragile mentality remains at the Club today unfortunately.

The players he brought in were gash!

The Harp Awakes
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
The players he brought in were gash!

Don't disagree but reflective of the money he had to spend IMO. Yogi has had more financial backing from the Club and has brought in better players albeit not in the positions we need most - defence.

Peevemor
07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Don't disagree but reflective of the money he had to spend IMO. Yogi has had more financial backing from the Club and has brought in better players albeit not in the positions we need most - defence.

I reckon JC was able to offer wages on a par with what Mixu and Yogi have had to play with, but he failed miserably on the free transfer market IMO.

I think he opted for players who subscribed to his work ethic, regardless of whether they were any good at football.

Bad Martini
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team, so not sure I understand what the point of this argument is.

I'd take Collins back in a heartbeat. Can't defend most, if not all of his signings, bit I firmly believe overall he would progress us as a club, and the attitude of Scottish footballers, even if it proved to be in spite of his signings.

:agree:

Spot on mate...especially the bit in bold/underlined.

John Collins talked the talk and attempted to walk the walk and rather than only talking, ended up being stabbed in the back by his colleagues, when he wasnt around to give his side of the story.

There is no DOUBT he was/is an arrogant man and his people skills were probably lacking BUT, everything he done was done for the right reasons and short of some ropey signings, he generally done well. And bagged a cup and most importantly, introduced SPINE into the team.................something nobody has done since.

khib70
07-05-2010, 12:15 PM

John Collins talked the talk and attempted to walk the walk and rather than only talking, ended up being stabbed in the back by his colleagues, when he wasnt around to give his side of the story.

There is no DOUBT he was/is an arrogant man and his people skills were probably lacking BUT, everything he done was done for the right reasons and short of some ropey signings, he generally done well. And bagged a cup and most importantly, introduced SPINE into the team.................something nobody has done since.

:agree:Good post BM. IMHO the rot set in the moment JC walked out the door

Tyler Durden
07-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Can we please end these weekly John Collins threads?

The guy was a useless manager, a bottler and a total fantasist.

It's been fascinating to watch his career blossom since he left us.

Baader
07-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Maka?

Who else?

Off the top of my head...

Thierry Gathuessi
Brian Kerr
Alan O'Brien
Thomas Sowumni
Mickaël Antoine Curier
Fillipe Morais
Clayton Donaldson

Feel ill. Away for a lie down now...

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
:agree:Good post BM. IMHO the rot set in the moment JC walked out the doorThat is nonsense , I went to the Livingston V Hibs pre-season game and was horrified with the quality of player he brought in. I knew we would struggle that year and it was then left to Mixu to pick up the pieces!

Pretty Boy
07-05-2010, 01:35 PM
:agree:Good post BM. IMHO the rot set in the moment JC walked out the door

I suppose the winless run prior to his departure was a coincedence then?

Whilst i don't deny JC attempted to bring about a more professional, progressive attitude around ER, the fact is we were really poor for long spells under him. McCann at CH at Pittodrie was mind boggling. The whole performance that day was one of the worst from a Hibs team that i can remeber. It seems there are a few rose tinted specs on regarding Collins considering there were growing calls for him to be sacked in the weeks before he made the decision himself.

Hakim Sar
07-05-2010, 01:57 PM
why dont we just erect a statue of tommy craig outside ER with a silver plaque which reads ''Hibernians greatest ever human being - FACT''

what is it with digging up old managers (who failed!!!!) and saying he would do a job for us :confused:

collins was rank and was immediately found out when he started to develop his own team - which you could argue we were still suffering from throught the mixu/yogi days

he has a good 6 pack allegedly - but thats it

The Modfather
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I suppose the winless run prior to his departure was a coincedence then?

Whilst i don't deny JC attempted to bring about a more professional, progressive attitude around ER, the fact is we were really poor for long spells under him. McCann at CH at Pittodrie was mind boggling. The whole performance that day was one of the worst from a Hibs team that i can remeber. It seems there are a few rose tinted specs on regarding Collins considering there were growing calls for him to be sacked in the weeks before he made the decision himself.

While the above in bold certainly was a mind boggling decision, it seems to be one of the favourite points used to beat collins with (and I'm not singling you out "Foreverhibs", just using your post) that doesn't prove he was clueless. Much like playing The Murph (ah The Murph!) at DM aganst The Lesser Greens didn't make him the next Wenger. What they did show was he wasn't afraid to try things, some paid off, some failed. Isn't that one of the major gripes with yogi, we have a plan A, and come hell or high water that is it.

Just trying to keep a bit of perspective re Collins.

Personaly I do think we missed the boat with Collins. Yes his signings were , by and large, poor, and the other side of the coin it is safe to say is he had his restrictions in trying to replace what we had lost. While realising the importance, I don't see signings as the be all and end all of a manager. Mixu's signings would probably be classed as a success at that time, but alot were the safe obvious option. That's just an observation, not a criticism. What we saw, for the first time in my years watching Hibs, was someone trying to make a bigger impact than what 11 players were currently on the park. he tried to set foundations, probably to his detriment, as papering over the cracks and signing better players is only a short term view but somethign a manager receives credit for. you can call him an idealist, but I would have been happy giving him the time to get the club right from the bottom up. It was a differnet type of transistion than we have seen for the last 3/4/5 years, but one that was for the long term good.

That's my tuppance worth. Make of it what you will.

Brizo
07-05-2010, 02:36 PM
JC had the right ideas fitness wise but probably didnt have the personality to take the players down that route. Im guessing he wanted to tell them what to do whereas they probably like to be asked. Yogi on the other hand has a squad lacking stamina and pace in key areas and who are criminally underusing the East Mains facilities.

JC was meant to have great contacts in France and England which would provide us with some hidden gems in the Hibs price range. That turned out to be all hype and in reality he signed some shockers Kerr,O'Brien,Donaldson etc. Yogi on the other hand does have good scouting connections and contacts which have brought in some quality players.

JCs subsequent lack of any tangible management career suggests that hes either disillusioned with management or else nobody wants him.

Hibs On Tour
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Maka?

Who else?

Another poster did a fuller list but between Maka and AOB we arsed about half a million squiddlies out of the window and neither a keeper nor a forward did we get IMHO.

Bringing Maka in as a young keeper to learn from an experienced pro may not have been a bad idea but for two reasons: 1] we already had a good young keeper in McNeil and 2] the only experience our established keepers then had was in being reliably pish.

We need some minerals in the team urgently. Got told today that one of the Motherwell lot said to one of our lot at 6-2 "thats it over then" only to be told "na, we need a seventh". Then, when they scored to make it 6-3 our guy said "told you". With that kind of attitude you're beaten before you even start! :grr:

skipster7
07-05-2010, 06:43 PM

agree with most of that, but i met him a few times well away from the fitba and he was a totally sound guy who even had time for a kickabout in his back garden with my mates wee boy on one occasion.think the wee lambs who he "upset" in the dressing room stoked this arrogant nonsense.
fwiw i think we could have done with HKT recently but the majority of his signings were poor and that along with the twats wrecking our best ever chance of a cup double edged him towards the exit door.

Spudster
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I think he'd be great as a european style Director of Football or Youth Development. We are always going to be in the situation that players who do well for us leave for money, same goes for managers to a degree too so we have no continuation. It's completely ab-normal for an entire squad to be unrecognisable from 3 or 4 years ago. Look at the success Rangers have had with a bit of continuity compared to Celtic and there last two crazy transfer windows.

I think he'd instil good habits into the lads coming through and he was tactically astute (certainly compared to Mixu and Yogi!).

Have to let the manager have the final say on any transfers tho :bitchy:

new malkyhib
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Can't disagree too much with any of that. He also put a team out that beat Motherwell 6-1 at home. I think Jeff Stelling said that "Hibs have declared at 6".

I was at the match, and for the last 20 minutes Motherwell never saw the ball, and left the ground thinking we could've scored more.

I wasn't at Wednesday's game as I was bowling, but my daughter was txting me the scores, I thought that when Motherwell scored to make it 6-3, that Motherwell would still get a draw, and it seems some guys on here that were at the match thought the same.

I think a collapse like that is sufficient reason to sack the manager, especially when you add it to the 1-5 reverse at St J, 1-4 at Hamilton, and all the other late capitulations that are patently down to lack of fitness.

All of that lies at the manager's door. If we do manage to scrape 4th place on Sunday, it'll almost be by default, and while I desperately wanted John Hughes to do well, I still think he shoud go/be removed.

I somehow don't think Petrie will do it though - so more of the same next season i'm afraid, until decisive action is taken at Board level (who don't have a winnig mentality either, and that permeates through the whole club IMHO).