PDA

View Full Version : The squad. Who to ship.

KWJ
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm procastinating as I have to re-write something I deleted and I HATE re-writing stuff. But I like writing stuff so I'll give my thoughts on our boys.

Keepers

Graham Stack - I like the big guy, he's perhaps not the most solid keeper in the world but he's an improvement on what we've suffered over the last decade.

Graeme Smith - Bit small for a keeper but I liked him at Motherwell and I hope he's got the character to bounce back from the derby and be in contention for a place next year.

Mark Brown - I reckon the other two may be better shot stoppers but I think from what I've seen of Brown at Caley & Killie that he's the better all rounder and his mistakes are less frequent. I'd give him the gloves for the start of next year.

Maka - With the other 3 vying for a starting position I reckon that's enough and it'd probably be best for both the club and Maka if he were to move on.

Defenders

Ian Murray - I really like Ian Murray and without a doubt his attitude and passion can really drive us along. He's had a good solid season but for me over the past couple of games he's starting to look a little too slow at left back when up against pacy, tricky wingers. I'd like to see him moved into the middle, preferrably into midfield where he can have a larger impact on a match. He's just as good if not a better passer of the ball than a good few we already have in there and he'd perhaps stop us from being such a soft touch.

Paul Hanlon - I've said it a few times but he's looking like the best centre half I've seen produced at Hibs for a long, long time. To be fair his only competition is Jonathon Baillie, Mark Dempsie & Darren McCormack but he's improving with every game and looks extremely comfortable in there. The only advantage Danny Wilson has over him is that he's played European football. I can see Paul floating around the Scotland squad this time next year if he continues the way he's going. Build the defense around his potential.

Chris Hogg - I've been a defender of Hoggy for some time, I love his attitude and 3 years or so he seemed to be really progressing into the player Mowbray and England thought he could be come when he was younger. Unfortunately he seems to have taken a backward step and I think he needs a new challenge and we need a better centre half. He knows what he's doing but misses too many crucial interceptions or headers. He's still young and at no point has really played with a highly experienced centre half and I think this has shown.

Steven Thicot - Was very unsure of him, even in that derby where he impressed. Looked a little too risky at the back for my liking. His willingness to play has impressed me this season, he's not taken the huff at any point and when playing centre half he's shown what a player he is. I'd pair him with Hanlon next season.

Sol Bamba - It seems like Big Sol is moving on. It's a shame, certainly a fans favourite and I love seeing him get stuck in. Any bid over 2M though can't be sniffed at. It's not beyond the imagination that he could have a honking world cup. Not sure where he'd fit in if he stays as I'd prefer Hanlon alongside Thicot and I like the idea of Murray in midfield but it'd have to be one of those spots.

Darren McCormack - I just don't think he has it, certainly not at right back but I'm not keen on him at centre half either. Never see him becoming a regular and would rather see someone like Moyes ahead of him. His disciplinary record on and off the pitch doesn't do him any favours either.

Kevin McCann - Feel like I'm missing somebody out or is this all of our defenders that have played this season? Scary. I like Kev, solid crunching, fully commited right back that can place a pass. Injuries have been very unkind but we all really hope he's over them and if so he can really make that right spot his own.

Bring in a bit of experience is what's required. Not sure if we have a young boy to cover right back (Taggart?). Moyes can cover centre half and I think Currie and Booth could move into left back. If neither of them are ready yet, bring in another left back with experience and Stevenson can cover or Murray when needed.

Midfield

Paddy Cregg - Nothing sensational, nothing too dismal. I thought he was the dirtiest player in the league at Falkirk but he's not really shown enough of that tenacity here. Think we could bring in better but if not he's handy to have around. I'd prefer to see an up and coming youngster like Welsh though.

Kevin McBride - I wasn't impressed by his signature and I've not really seen enough to get excited by him either. But going by the boards reaction to his play before his first in a series of injuries he has to be worth keeping on for next year. I wouldn't exactly be gutted if he moved on and we brought in somebody else though.

Lewis Stevenson - I really like Lewis, and not just because of his cup final performance. I've seen him do little wrong, I reckon he can pass a ball & can put in a tackle. He is still very shot shy however. I'd like to see him stay on at Hibs as I think there's a player in there but maybe he's in need of a loan to somebody like Hamilton,Falkirk or Dundee to find confidence in his own ability and to see if he can make the grade.

John Rankin - Far from my favourite player but gets a ridiculous amount of ott stick. Been my motm for the past two games and very much deserves his place in the team. I'd pick him over the other 3 mentioned but when everyone's on song he could only muster a place on the bench.

Liam Miller - He's a proper footballer that's for sure. We have to keep him on but we definitely rely on him to really pull the strings in midfield. Needs to get further up the pitch where he can take the ball and make things happen in dangerous areas. Lying deeper he really struggles to do this and losses possession too often. He's been the headless chicken in midfield these past few months.

Danny Galbraith - Shown flashes of exciting play. Extremely keen. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses next year.

Merouane Zemmama - A frustratingly tricky ballplaying midfielder. Nobody has found the best way to utilise him yet. He goes missing in far too many games but there's no doubt that he has the ability to turn the key and create a goal. Would definetly keep him on but he needs to be fit enough to start the majority of matches and I wouldn't be crying my eyes out if he was moved on and replaced with another player of quality.

David Wotherspoon - Probably the player I'm most excited about seeing when I get back. Hopefully he can be our right midfielder for many years to come.

Strikers

Colin Nish - Was it dashing bob that said "Effortlessly floats between genius and village idiot"? Perfect description anyway. If he moves on, we need to replace him and I defintely don't think Kevin Kyle is the answer. Somebody like Sam Parkin would do the job for me but if we can't bring in somebody better I could live with mad Col for another year.

Anthony Stokes - 21 goals says it all really. I think we'd be prettier if we'd kept Fletcher but wouldn't have scored as many. The two would probably be brilliant together really. Keep him or 2.5M + please.

Derek Riordan - I don't see him moving on, could really see him finishing his career here during this stint and scoring us some cracking goals in the process. He's finding it tougher than he did in his first spell due to his more defensive roll, lost that wee yard of pace & defenders are wise to him. However 15 goals, a good few assists and he still get us off our seats. He's a fud, but he's our fud.

Benji - I really like Benji but I think his times up here. I'd love to see him and Zouma starting more matches together as he seems at his best when playing with the wee man but we can't afford to carry him along any more.

Kurtis Byrne - Not really had enough of a chance with the first team yet but had a dissapointing spell with Stirling Albion. Another loan move perhaps the option to toughen him up and to see what he can do.

Alan Gow - He's been unlucky with us in his loan spell. Came into the team, had a howler when still not match fit at Ibrox. Gets injured and comes back still not match fit and when the team is guff. If we can get him for free in the summer I'd definetly like to sign him.

So my deffo outs are Hogg & McCormack & Maka.

My probably move on would be Cregg, Byrne, Benji & Nish.

& must keeps are Brown, Murray, Thicot, Hanlon, McCann, Miller, Riordan, Stokes, Galbraith & Wotherspoon.

The others lie somewhere between prob move on and must keep but really depend on who we bring in. Our squad really isn't as big as I thought, it just seems we have a choice of 4 similarish players to play alongside Miller or Zemmama in centre mid and none of them really stick out enough. Bamba or Murray I think would be the best option.

Hopefully see some of the youngster come into the team next season and as said I'd like to see Stevenson & Byrne get loaned out for some regular football and to see if they can hack it.

Iain G
05-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Think its about time we emptied a whole bunch of folks, I'd really been keen to keep the following as our core players for next year:

Bown
Stack or Smith
Hanlon
Murray
McCann (if he can get fit!)
Thicot
McBride
Miller
Rankin or Cregg
Wotherspoon
Galbraith
Stokes
Byrne

And wouldn't be overly bothered if any/all of the rest of them were moved on in the summer :agree:

sambajustice
05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd be keen to see us keep the following players and managerial staff next year:

Thats it!

Andy74
05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
To shift as and when we can:

Maka
McCormack
McCann
Stevenson
Rankin
Gow
Nish
Benji
Byrne

I don't think McCann is quite right but if he can get back to his best I'd change my mind.

No rush on Rankin but we won't get any better until we replace his type for real quality.

Gow I'm not sure about but right now I'd swap his type for either physical presence or pace.

Benji i would keep but no real point if he is not going to be used regularly which he needs to help him come on to his game.

Byrne I'm just not convinced and think we can bring in better if we really want to challenge.

Maka, McCormack, Stevenson and Nish - we can just do better.

rainman
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Maka
McCormack
McCann
Stevenson
Rankin
Gow
Nish
Benji
Byrne

I don't think McCann is quite right but if he can get back to his best I'd change my mind.

No rush on Rankin but we won't get any better until we replace his type for real quality.

Gow I'm not sure about but right now I'd swap his type for either physical presence or pace.

Benji i would keep but no real point if he is not going to be used regularly which he needs to help him come on to his game.

Byrne I'm just not convinced and think we can bring in better if we really want to challenge.

I agree with all of the. Don't particuarly think any of them are terrible but would hate to think they were keeping out a new signing that could potentially start each week.

jacomo
05-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I am frustrated that the squad is so unbalanced. We have 1,000 keepers and strikers, yet no dedicated left back or fit right back, no cover at right midfield.

I agree that Murray - although doing an admirable job at left back - should move into the middle, and we should nail down other player's positions too. Zemmama has great technique but where does he play?

I also want Hibs to protect and nuture players who may not be the finished article, but have ability and potential. For me, Maka falls into this camp, though it seems he's on his way. Thicot is one I'd definitely keep.

HFC 0-7
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm procastinating as I have to re-write something I deleted and I HATE re-writing stuff. But I like writing stuff so I'll give my thoughts on our boys.

Strikers

Colin Nish - Was it dashing bob that said "Effortlessly floats between genius and village idiot"? Perfect description anyway. If he moves on, we need to replace him and I defintely don't think Kevin Kyle is the answer. Somebody like Sam Parkin would do the job for me but if we can't bring in somebody better I could live with mad Col for another year.

Anthony Stokes - 21 goals says it all really. I think we'd be prettier if we'd kept Fletcher but wouldn't have scored as many. The two would probably be brilliant together really. Keep him or 2.5M + please.

Derek Riordan - I don't see him moving on, could really see him finishing his career here during this stint and scoring us some cracking goals in the process. He's finding it tougher than he did in his first spell due to his more defensive roll, lost that wee yard of pace & defenders are wise to him. However 15 goals, a good few assists and he still get us off our seats. He's a fud, but he's our fud.

Benji - I really like Benji but I think his times up here. I'd love to see him and Zouma starting more matches together as he seems at his best when playing with the wee man but we can't afford to carry him along any more.

Kurtis Byrne - Not really had enough of a chance with the first team yet but had a dissapointing spell with Stirling Albion. Another loan move perhaps the option to toughen him up and to see what he can do.

Alan Gow - He's been unlucky with us in his loan spell. Came into the team, had a howler when still not match fit at Ibrox. Gets injured and comes back still not match fit and when the team is guff. If we can get him for free in the summer I'd definetly like to sign him.

I dont know where people get this from. riordan doesnt provide a lot of assists, less than 5 this season according to the official stats : - http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics (http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics)

I dont think he links well with the team at all, but thats because he is a selfish striker. I think Riordan is one of the players we must keep, but we need to play him right. He can score goals out of nothing, so we should be putting him in the position where he has the best chance of doing this. Yes having a winger that can defend, cross, has lots of pace and can cut inside and score all the time would be nice, but riordan isnt that type of player. He is a goal scorer!

The only players I would say we need to keep is Stokes, Riordan, Murray and Zemmama, the rest I am not to fussed about.

Tollhouse Hibee
05-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Keepers

Graham Stack - I like the big guy, he's perhaps not the most solid keeper in the world but he's an improvement on what we've suffered over the last decade.

Graeme Smith - Bit small for a keeper but I liked him at Motherwell and I hope he's got the character to bounce back from the derby and be in contention for a place next year.

Mark Brown - I reckon the other two may be better shot stoppers but I think from what I've seen of Brown at Caley & Killie that he's the better all rounder and his mistakes are less frequent. I'd give him the gloves for the start of next year.

Maka - With the other 3 vying for a starting position I reckon that's enough and it'd probably be best for both the club and Maka if he were to move on.

Defenders

Ian Murray - I really like Ian Murray and without a doubt his attitude and passion can really drive us along. He's had a good solid season but for me over the past couple of games he's starting to look a little too slow at left back when up against pacy, tricky wingers. I'd like to see him moved into the middle, preferrably into midfield where he can have a larger impact on a match. He's just as good if not a better passer of the ball than a good few we already have in there and he'd perhaps stop us from being such a soft touch.

Paul Hanlon - I've said it a few times but he's looking like the best centre half I've seen produced at Hibs for a long, long time. To be fair his only competition is Jonathon Baillie, Mark Dempsie & Darren McCormack but he's improving with every game and looks extremely comfortable in there. The only advantage Danny Wilson has over him is that he's played European football. I can see Paul floating around the Scotland squad this time next year if he continues the way he's going. Build the defense around his potential.

Chris Hogg - I've been a defender of Hoggy for some time, I love his attitude and 3 years or so he seemed to be really progressing into the player Mowbray and England thought he could be come when he was younger. Unfortunately he seems to have taken a backward step and I think he needs a new challenge and we need a better centre half. He knows what he's doing but misses too many crucial interceptions or headers. He's still young and at no point has really played with a highly experienced centre half and I think this has shown.

Steven Thicot - Was very unsure of him, even in that derby where he impressed. Looked a little too risky at the back for my liking. His willingness to play has impressed me this season, he's not taken the huff at any point and when playing centre half he's shown what a player he is. I'd pair him with Hanlon next season.

Sol Bamba - It seems like Big Sol is moving on. It's a shame, certainly a fans favourite and I love seeing him get stuck in. Any bid over 2M though can't be sniffed at. It's not beyond the imagination that he could have a honking world cup. Not sure where he'd fit in if he stays as I'd prefer Hanlon alongside Thicot and I like the idea of Murray in midfield but it'd have to be one of those spots.

Darren McCormack - I just don't think he has it, certainly not at right back but I'm not keen on him at centre half either. Never see him becoming a regular and would rather see someone like Moyes ahead of him. His disciplinary record on and off the pitch doesn't do him any favours either.

Kevin McCann - Feel like I'm missing somebody out or is this all of our defenders that have played this season? Scary. I like Kev, solid crunching, fully commited right back that can place a pass. Injuries have been very unkind but we all really hope he's over them and if so he can really make that right spot his own.

Bring in a bit of experience is what's required. Not sure if we have a young boy to cover right back (Taggart?). Moyes can cover centre half and I think Currie and Booth could move into left back. If neither of them are ready yet, bring in another left back with experience and Stevenson can cover or Murray when needed.

Midfield

Paddy Cregg - Nothing sensational, nothing too dismal. I thought he was the dirtiest player in the league at Falkirk but he's not really shown enough of that tenacity here. Think we could bring in better but if not he's handy to have around. I'd prefer to see an up and coming youngster like Welsh though.

Kevin McBride - I wasn't impressed by his signature and I've not really seen enough to get excited by him either. But going by the boards reaction to his play before his first in a series of injuries he has to be worth keeping on for next year. I wouldn't exactly be gutted if he moved on and we brought in somebody else though.

Lewis Stevenson - I really like Lewis, and not just because of his cup final performance. I've seen him do little wrong, I reckon he can pass a ball & can put in a tackle. He is still very shot shy however. I'd like to see him stay on at Hibs as I think there's a player in there but maybe he's in need of a loan to somebody like Hamilton,Falkirk or Dundee to find confidence in his own ability and to see if he can make the grade.

John Rankin - Far from my favourite player but gets a ridiculous amount of ott stick. Been my motm for the past two games and very much deserves his place in the team. I'd pick him over the other 3 mentioned but when everyone's on song he could only muster a place on the bench.

Liam Miller - He's a proper footballer that's for sure. We have to keep him on but we definitely rely on him to really pull the strings in midfield. Needs to get further up the pitch where he can take the ball and make things happen in dangerous areas. Lying deeper he really struggles to do this and losses possession too often. He's been the headless chicken in midfield these past few months.

Danny Galbraith - Shown flashes of exciting play. Extremely keen. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses next year.

Merouane Zemmama - A frustratingly tricky ballplaying midfielder. Nobody has found the best way to utilise him yet. He goes missing in far too many games but there's no doubt that he has the ability to turn the key and create a goal. Would definetly keep him on but he needs to be fit enough to start the majority of matches and I wouldn't be crying my eyes out if he was moved on and replaced with another player of quality.

David Wotherspoon - Probably the player I'm most excited about seeing when I get back. Hopefully he can be our right midfielder for many years to come.

Strikers

& must keeps are Brown, Murray, Thicot, Hanlon, McCann, Miller, Riordan, Stokes, Galbraith & Wotherspoon.

The others lie somewhere between prob move on and must keep but really depend on who we bring in. Our squad really isn't as big as I thought, it just seems we have a choice of 4 similarish players to play alongside Miller or Zemmama in centre mid and none of them really stick out enough. Bamba or Murray I think would be the best option.

Hopefully see some of the youngster come into the team next season and as said I'd like to see Stevenson & Byrne get loaned out for some regular football and to see if they can hack it.

excellent post and agree with the majority. i would ditch stacky tho and would not mind cashing in on deeks, if and only if we keep stokes.

We do need a real hard nut like neil lennon or jody morris type player in the middle of the park next year, along with some pace in the wide areas.

also a 4-4-2 with some crosses into the box would be nice :)
:hnet:

KWJ
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
he.was.there.8.weeks.ago.

recko.he.has.5.too.

KWJ
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
We do need a real hard nut like neil lennon or jody morris type player in the middle of the park next year, along with some pace in the wide areas.

also a 4-4-2 with some crosses into the box would be nice :)

:agree:

Murray.for.me.or.get.1.siged.

Pretty Boy
05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Goalkeepers- Maka to go, out of contract, has had 3 seasons to establish himself as undisputed number 1, has failed. In the best interests of all concerned if he moves on.

Flynn to go out on a season long loan. Keep the other 3.

Defenders- McCann to either prove his fitness or be released. May be a bit harsh but Hibs aren't a club who can afford to keep paying the wages of a player who is constantly picking up injuries.

Bamba i would like to stay but any offer of £2M or upwards should be accepted.

McCormack- Maybe allow to go out on loan to the 1st division to get a run of games at CH and ssee how he does. Never a RB in a million years.

Hogg, Hanlon, Thicot and Murray should all stay as well as at least 1 new signing.

Midfielders- Cregg and Stevenson to go definitely.

Zemmama another who has to prove he is capable of a whole season or maybe we should look to move him on.

Rankin i would keep as he is a decent squad player and reasonably versatile.

Galbraith needs more game time as everytime i have seen him come on he has looked like he has genuine pace, something we lack, and has generally played well when asked.

McBride and Miller need to rediscover their form from early season but both are worth keeping. At least 1 new signing needed for the midfield also.

Forwards- I think the time might be right for Nish to be moved on. Don't think he's the worst player in the world but think most fans minds are made up and no matter what he does it will never be enough. Best for both parties if he leaves.

Stokes- 21 goals this season and looks like he still has a lot more to come, a definite stay.

Byrne- Send out on loan or use him more, if Yogi doesn't think he's good enough for at least a few 1st team appearances next season then let him go.

Benji- Another who i think it mght be best for all if he goes. Good player, bags of skill and plenty effort, when he's in the mood. Has been in the mood far too few times since March 2007.

Riordan- Controversial one. His goals are undoubtedly welcome. His work rate has imporved, most of the time. However we seem to struggle to find a position for him. He's not a left midfielder, he's not an out and out forward and we really shouldn't be changng the shape of the whole team to suit one player. I would like to see Riordan stay BUT if a decent offer came in and the his wages freed up along with another 3 or 4 leaving and this allowed us to bring in a natural right back, a central midfielder, a solid centre half and another forward then i may be tempted to listen to offers.

All just my opinion.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Who to ship:

Nish - FedEx

Rankin - UPS

Hogg - 2nd Class Stamp

McCormack - Parcelfarce

Benji - Pigeon Post

Maka - Air Mail

Seveno
05-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Keepers

Defenders

Midfield

Strikers

A top rate assessment of our squad and I wouldn't argue with very much, so i won't.

Please put in an envelope and post to J Hughes, Hibernian Football Club, Albion Place, Edinburgh.

Wotherspiniesta
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I think we should let the following players go:

Stevenson
Cregg
Hogg
McCormack
McCann
Nish
Benji

If we could bring in:

Hart
Arfield
A target man
A centre back
A winger

I'd be happy with that :agree:

Speedway
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I think we should let the following players go:

Stevenson
Cregg
Hogg
McCormack
McCann
Nish
Benji

If we could bring in:

Hart
Arfield
A target man
A centre back
A winger
I'd be happy with that :agree:

Until they play for Hibs, under achieve and then you won't be. It will be Yogi's fault as well.

Cocaine&Caviar
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=181239

as conclusive as you'll get.

darwenhibby
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
excellent post and agree with the majority. i would ditch stacky tho and would not mind cashing in on deeks, if and only if we keep stokes.

We do need a real hard nut like neil lennon or jody morris type player in the middle of the park next year, along with some pace in the wide areas.also a 4-4-2 with some crosses into the box would be nice :)

Did we not have someone with pace in AOB until we hounded him out

Speedway
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM

A footballer with pace, then.

Tollhouse Hibee
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM

but he was mince!

Dr_Regal
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Good post

Jay mceveley just got released by derby, there is our left back.

darwenhibby
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
but he was mince!

He wasn't mince he was just too fast for the ball and got cold waiting for it to catch him up.

MyJo
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Maka
McCormack
McCann
Stevenson
Rankin
Gow
Nish
Benji
Byrne

i would include Cregg in that list but thats pretty much spot on for me :agree:

Andy74
05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
i would include Cregg in that list but thats pretty much spot on for me :agree:

Forgot him so yes, totally agree!:greengrin

Long suffering
05-05-2010, 02:36 PM
We should defo make a move for giles coke from motherwell

The Sundance Kid
05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't mind getting rid of any of this lot:
Stack