PDA

View Full Version : Question for cooks/chefs etc

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM
When it says '1 cup' in a recipe, how much do they mean? I think its an american thing.

Ta.

RoslinInstHibby
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
When it says '1 cup' in a recipe, how much do they mean? I think its an american thing.

Ta.

always wondered that myself, i thought it meant one tea cup as in dinner table size:confused:

Mon Dieu4
04-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Ta.

I would imagine you take a cup, fill it up & use that mate :wink:

Nah it depend on what you are using due to different weights & densities, what is it a cup of?

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I would imagine you take a cup, fill it up & use that mate :wink:

Nah it depend on what you are using due to different weights & densities, what is it a cup of?

cheese. dont laugh:greengrin

Mon Dieu4
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
cheese. dont laugh:greengrin

:faf::faf:

Thats about 100 grams mate :agree:

Bayern Bru
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Well this is the reincarnated cheese board isn't it...

:cool2:

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
:faf::faf:

Thats about 100 grams mate :agree:

Thanks Mr Worral-Thompson:thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Mr Worral-Thompson:thumbsup:

I'm more like my favorite chef Ronald McDonald :greengrin

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm more like my favorite chef Ronald McDonald :greengrin

Clown:grr:

Speedy
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Another question for cooks/chefs:

Why does it say on the cooking instructions for rice 'do not stir while cooking'? What does this achieve and how do you prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan?

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Why does it say on the cooking instructions for rice 'do not stir while cooking'? What does this achieve and how do you prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan?

Turn the heat down low once it gets to the boil.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2010, 05:42 PM

By not stirring the rice you allow the release of starch, this prevents your rice either being either thick and gloopy or hard and grainy(provided you cook it for the right time of course). Turning the heat down should stop it sticking, giving it one quick stir at the start of cooking should help as well.

s.a.m
04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
The cup measure equivalent I use (for dry ingredients) is 5oz or 150g. Can't remember where got that, but it seems to work.

Edit: I've just been hunting, and the measurements above are right for flour, but vary according to ingredient. I would google it, myself.

Speedy
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
By not stirring the rice you allow the release of starch, this prevents your rice either being either thick and gloopy or hard and grainy(provided you cook it for the right time of course). Turning the heat down should stop it sticking, giving it one quick stir at the start of cooking should help as well.

Cheers.

I've always stirred the rice :greengrin

jonty
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Cheers.

I've always stirred the rice :greengrin

I always used to, too, and it was never perfect.

Followed Delia (or Jamie's) 'recipe': twice as much water as rice, cover and simmer until water is gone. Dont stir it at all.

perfect every single time :agree:

(unless you leave it too long at it sticks to the bottom of the pan :greengrin)

Wembley67
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Or get Uncle Bens boil in the bag....tastes just as good :greengrin

ArabHibee
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Or get Uncle Bens boil in the bag....tastes just as good :greengrin

Or Uncle Bens that goes in the microwave for 2 minutes - perfect every time and doesn't stick to the bottom of the bag! :greengrin

Speedy
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I always used to, too, and it was never perfect.

Followed Delia (or Jamie's) 'recipe': twice as much water as rice, cover and simmer until water is gone. Dont stir it at all.

perfect every single time :agree:

(unless you leave it too long at it sticks to the bottom of the pan :greengrin)

I don't cover it either. Just bung it in and stir it until it looks done. Tastes fine to me.

I just wondered because I was having a conversation with a guy at work about how he doesn't cook rice because it's too much effort, I said something along the lines of 'you just bung it in and stir it' only to be told I was doing it wrong :greengrin

lyonhibs
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't cover it either. Just bung it in and stir it until it looks done. Tastes fine to me.

I just wondered because I was having a conversation with a guy at work about how he doesn't cook rice because it's too much effort, I said something along the lines of 'you just bung it in and stir it' only to be told I was doing it wrong :greengrin

You WERE talking about the act of cooking rice, yes???? :cool2:

Measuring rice and pasta is one of the most important things you learn as a student. A real - life skill that I've just about mastered :greengrin

Speedy
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM
[/B]You WERE talking about the act of cooking rice, yes???? :cool2:

Measuring rice and pasta is one of the most important things you learn as a student. A real - life skill that I've just about mastered :greengrin

That's what I thought I was talking about anyway

lyonhibs
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
That's what I thought I was talking about anyway

Lol it just sounds like the quoted phrase could easily be turned into a juvenile double entendre regarding your prowess (or total lack thereof) in other rooms of the house apart from the kitchen :greengrin

Joke of course.