PDA

View Full Version : Riordan.

murray26
18-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Good enough or not? I've had a debate shall we say with a Hibby mate who cant stand him, reckons he's lazy etc, could anyone post his goal ratio against previous strikers, my opinion of Riordan is could do slightly better but is one of our own and deserves our support, he seems one of the players along with Murray who looks GENUINELY pleased when we score ( no matter the scorer) whats your general opinion on here?.

Seep
18-04-2010, 10:17 PM
To me, Riordan's a player with great ability - no-one doubts it. He just lacks a great deal of application. Maybe because Yogi is playing him out on the left and that's not where he wants to play? I'm sure he would apply himself through the middle.

Westie1875
18-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Definitely good enough, just look at the goal he scored on Saturday and all the others. I can't understand why so many Hibs fans seem to have a personal issue with Riordan.

Removed
18-04-2010, 10:31 PM
To me, Riordan's a player with great ability - no-one doubts it. He just lacks a great deal of application. Maybe because Yogi is playing him out on the left and that's not where he wants to play? I'm sure he would apply himself through the middle.

:faf:

You've been reading too many posts on here. Most of them by undercover yams.

Wotherspiniesta
18-04-2010, 10:31 PM

No offence but how can a Hearts fan deem a Hibs player to have a lack of application? You must see him maybe 5 times a season?

Any Hibs fan asking if DEREK RIORDAN is good enough for Hibs needs admitted to a mental home. He is, IMO the most naturally gifted Scottish striker. He doesn't have the pace of Aiden McGeady or the workmanlike ability of Steven Davis or the Aeriel ability of Jon Daly, but when the ball drops to the feet of Derek Riordan 20 yards from goal, I'd sooner have him over the ball than any other SPL player.

IWasThere2016
18-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Deeks is class IMHO :thumbsup:

A natural match-winner, and we need to get him the baw to him in front of the goals as much as possible :agree:

Sir David Gray
18-04-2010, 11:10 PM
That goal that he scored on Saturday was sheer class, you just cannot teach that kind of thing.

The guy's the fifth top scorer in SPL history and would most probably have over 100 SPL goals by now if he hadn't wasted two years sitting on the bench, and in the stand, at Parkhead.

If it wasn't for the goals from him and Stokes this season, we would most likely be close to being in a relegation fight at the moment.

If he leaves us, people might realise then just what kind of talent we actually have at our disposal. You sometimes don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

Gus Fring
18-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I'd rather a "lazy" striker played out of position scoring 13 rakers a season than one played in position working his arse off to score none *cough nade cough*

Gus Fring
18-04-2010, 11:17 PM
If he leaves us, people might realise then just what kind of talent we actually have at our disposal. You sometimes don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

We certainly missed it last time he left.

Hibercelona
18-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Riordan's a lazy bassa who will score just enough goals in a league that he should be well above.

vahibbie
18-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Riordan's a lazy bassa who will score just enough goals in a league that he should be well above.

:confused:

Who sets the number.
Is it revised throughout the season.
Is it changed for the new season.
Who's above him playing in a similar position.

BTW the last ones a trick question:wink:

hibeemikey21
19-04-2010, 12:34 AM
No offence but how can a Hearts fan deem a Hibs player to have a lack of application? You must see him maybe 5 times a season?

Any Hibs fan asking if DEREK RIORDAN is good enough for Hibs needs admitted to a mental home. He is, IMO the most naturally gifted Scottish striker. He doesn't have the pace of Aiden McGeady or the workmanlike ability of Steven Davis or the Aeriel ability of Jon Daly, but when the ball drops to the feet of Derek Riordan 20 yards from goal, I'd sooner have him over the ball than any other SPL player.

See, I don't personally get why so many people describe riordan as exceptionally skillful or talented. How many times will he go on a mazy and skin several players? I think that the bit in bold I have highlighted and his goal yesterday tell a story about the extent of Riordans ability......he has a cracking shot. Aside from that, I genuinely don't think he has too much else to his game, lacking particular aspects that a forward player needs to have in modern football.

No pace
No real strength or ability to hold the ball up
Not great in the air
Poor attitude

I think he is a decent enough member of hibs' squad, but I could live without him and reckon he would be one of the players who would need to buck up their ideas or move on if we are to improve as a team.

Allant1981
19-04-2010, 01:06 AM
See, I don't personally get why so many people describe riordan as exceptionally skillful or talented. How many times will he go on a mazy and skin several players? I think that the bit in bold I have highlighted and his goal yesterday tell a story about the extent of Riordans ability......he has a cracking shot. Aside from that, I genuinely don't think he has too much else to his game, lacking particular aspects that a forward player needs to have in modern football.

No pace
Not great in the air
Poor attitude

I think he is a decent enough member of hibs' squad, but I could live without him and reckon he would be one of the players who would need to buck up their ideas or move on if we are to improve as a team.

and do you honestly think there is someone apart from stokes in our squad who can score the same amount of goals. Simple answer being no and it would cost a small fortune to buy in someone that will score 15- 20 goals per season and that wont happen. I couldnt care less if he done nothing the whole game the popped up and scored the winner. He is a striker his job is to score goals

broonie27
19-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Position, position, position!

Play him upfront in a 2 and then his "application" isn't such an issue. Get another player on the left who will run up and down the touch line and put in tackles and leave Riordan to what he knows best. Simple as.

rainman
19-04-2010, 01:20 AM
and do you honestly think there is someone apart from stokes in our squad who can score the same amount of goals. Simple answer being no and it would cost a small fortune to buy in someone that will score 15- 20 goals per season and that wont happen. I couldnt care less if he done nothing the whole game the popped up and scored the winner. He is a striker his job is to score goals

We don't have anybody in the squad right now that could replace him but if we could get some money for him, I would take it and run and then bring in a left midfielder that can weigh in with a portion of the goals but create more and give more to the team as a whole.

I'm just not sure who would pay any amount of money for him. Maybe a championship team? :confused:

hibeemikey21
19-04-2010, 01:24 AM

Well I think we could viably get someone who could chip in 10-12 In his role and I would go as far as to say we would concede less and create more chances for others with someone more industrious and determined than Riordan. Specifically, I would love us to break the bank to get steven Naismith!

Allant1981
19-04-2010, 01:24 AM
We don't have anybody in the squad right now that could replace him but if we could get some money for him, I would take it and run and then bring in a left midfielder that can weigh in with a portion of the goals but create more and give more to the team as a whole.

I'm just not sure who would pay any amount of money for him. Maybe a championship team? :confused:

why bring in someone who can create more for others when we have a guy already there who can score more than the others (apart from stokes) put together. We all know he will never be the ideal team player so lets accept that about him and focus on what he does best. Scoring goals

rainman
19-04-2010, 01:31 AM
why bring in someone who can create more for others when we have a guy already there who can score more than the others (apart from stokes) put together. We all know he will never be the ideal team player so lets accept that about him and focus on what he does best. Scoring goals

Hibs can't afford to have a luxury like that.

Yes, he gets us goals and wins us points. But how many games has he won us points in versus how many games has he been completely anonymous and cost us points?

Sell him and lets get in a real left midfielder who will contribute more to the team.

Cameron1875
19-04-2010, 01:36 AM
What you've got to think about is he may score a quality free kick against killie or falkirk but can anyone remember the last time deek played well against a good side or in a big game.

He has been very poor in the derby games this season and against celtic (excluding his goal on sat) and rangers he's either been annoymous or dropped.

Give him a boot up the jacksie or get him sold as long as we bring in a player of a similar standard such as stokes which may be expensive.

Haymaker
19-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Riordan is without a doubt the most gifted striker of the ball in scotland.

His other areas may lack application true, however if you build the team to support him in a free role goals will be scored.

Riordan is still scoring goals in a position that isnt natural to him. He is truely a free player that a team is built around and should be. Its a team game and you utilise your talent.

Sandy
19-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Deeks is the most talented striker of a ball in Scotland, love the guy to bits, couldn't care less about lack of work rate etc etc, 16 goals this season from wide left midfield ?. Anyone who thinks any different should be shot. FACT ENDOFF :greengrin

Steve20
19-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Anyone that thinks we would be better without Riordan is not even worth talking to about football IMO.

hibiedude
19-04-2010, 06:18 AM
R01rdan is a class player and having him in your side knowing he can turn the game in a heart like he did on Saturday is priceless.

And yes he is a lazy git at times but class outshines lazy everyday of the week

Judas Iscariot
19-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Anyone that thinks we would be better without Riordan is not even worth talking to about football IMO.

:agree:

Another pish thread looking to have a go at Riordan...

RMG_82
19-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Good enough or not? I've had a debate shall we say with a Hibby mate who cant stand him, reckons he's lazy etc, could anyone post his goal ratio against previous strikers, my opinion of Riordan is could do slightly better but is one of our own and deserves our support, he seems one of the players along with Murray who looks GENUINELY pleased when we score ( no matter the scorer) whats your general opinion on here?.

Bored of this titled thread :bye:

California-Hibs
19-04-2010, 07:15 AM

:top marks

TonyStokeprano
19-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Well I think we could viably get someone who could chip in 10-12 In his role and I would go as far as to say we would concede less and create more chances for others with someone more industrious and determined than Riordan. Specifically, I would love us to break the bank to get steven Naismith!

If you think Steven Naismith would join us your head is in the clouds. Riordan has scored more goals than Naismith this season and although the spl stats say riordan only has 4 assists, If you look at every goal we've scored this season you will see its closer to 8. How the hell do you replace that with our budget? Why do so many people insist on wanting rid of him? sometimes I wonder why people on this messageboard support hibs, when all they do is moan and slag off our best players.

weonlywon6-2
19-04-2010, 08:04 AM

love his goals , but get sick of all the add on`s we have with him.

i just wish that we spent our time talking about his goals and not his peformance in george street

weonlywon6-2
19-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Definitely good enough, just look at the goal he scored on Saturday and all the others. I can't understand why so many Hibs fans seem to have a personal issue with Riordan.

as my post above i just wish we talked about football when discussing him.

we just get fed up with on the non football stuff

SlickShoes
19-04-2010, 08:25 AM

No pace
Not great in the air
Poor attitude

You are aware that skill does not always equal going on crazy runs and skinning half a team. Just look at riordans goals, if that is not natural skill and talent then what is?

K.Marx
19-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Another pish thread looking to have a go at Riordan...

:top marks

TonyStokeprano
19-04-2010, 08:31 AM

No pace
Not great in the air
Poor attitude

If he had all those skills to go with his finishing do you think he'd be playing for hibs? the answer is no, players with all those skills are Ronaldo Rooney Torres Drogba, Suppose maybe we should break the bank to get them.

lapsedhibee
19-04-2010, 08:35 AM
If he had all those skills to go with his finishing do you think he'd be playing for hibs? the answer is no, players with all those skills are Ronaldo Rooney Torres Drogba, Suppose maybe we should break the bank to get them.

Thank goodness you're not the manager. Of the four players you mention, only one - Drogba - is big enough to be a genuine asset to Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2010, 08:41 AM

i just wish that we spent our time talking about his goals and not his peformance in george street

Noone's talking about the "non football stuff". Except you.

What stuff are you referring to anyway?

Mon Dieu4
19-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Love these threads he is Hibs 10th top league goalscorer of all time, some people are never happy. :blah:

He also has 8 goals to score to reach 100 competitive goals for Hibs the first player to do so in 30/40 years.

We should relish the fact we have had the chance to see the best goal scorer we have had in a generation :agree:

mim
19-04-2010, 09:30 AM
If we can get good money for Stokes and sign Kyle, I would be very happy with Kyle and Deeks as our front two for next season.

Riordan's scoring record from left midfield is quite exceptional, but that doesn't mean it's his best position.

He should be playing off some big strong heifer up front.

J-C
19-04-2010, 09:49 AM
His goal on saturday proves what a class act he is, undoubtedly he's playing out of position caused by Yogi and before him Mixu trying to get his best players on the park at the same time. When he moves inside to fill the gap he takes up some lovely positions and scores goals like he did at the weekend, yes he's lazy at times but has tried harder this year but who cares when he's capable of scoring little gems now and then.:greengrin

rainman
19-04-2010, 09:50 AM
If we can get good money for Stokes and sign Kyle, I would be very happy with Kyle and Deeks as our front two for next season.

Riordan's scoring record from left midfield is quite exceptional, but that doesn't mean it's his best position.

He should be playing off some big strong heifer up front.

How would you feel about getting decent money for riordan and having a strike partnership of Kyle and stokes. I'd love to see stokes play off a big guy that can hold up the ball.

Stokes is younger and is of more value to hibs in the long term. I'd much rather hold onto him and sell riordan IF we could get money for him.

WestEndHibee
19-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Hibs can't afford to have a luxury like that.

Yes, he gets us goals and wins us points. But how many games has he won us points in versus how many games has he been completely anonymous and cost us points?

Sell him and lets get in a real left midfielder who will contribute more to the team.

I know you won't get to a lot of the games so i'd like to let you know that of late riordan has been one of the ONLY players contributing ans bringing even the slightest bit of passion to the team. He works a lot harder than commentators or armchair fans think. We've won 2 games in our last 15... That would be 0 without him.

weonlywon6-2
19-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Noone's talking about the "non football stuff". Except you.

What stuff are you referring to anyway?

really?

so the stories about being up town on the drink,falling out with bouncers, several run ins with the police etc etc are untrue ??

J-C
19-04-2010, 10:55 AM
really?

so the stories about being up town on the drink,falling out with bouncers, several run ins with the police etc etc are untrue ??

When in the last 5-6 months has this happened, or are you just at the wind up.

Removed
19-04-2010, 11:01 AM
really?

As opposed to facts.

bighairyfaeleith
19-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Riordan is class and played through the middle with stokes we would be netting 50 goals a season between them. Now that is hibs class :thumbsup:

djs69
19-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Good enough...I read about his lack of work rate but he has tracked back more this season than any other season he has been with us...yes, he may not like it, and may prefer to play up top, but he is a quality finisher, one of the best in Scotland, he likes a moan, and can get in bother off the pitch from time to time, but if he was the ultimate professional, who worked hard for 90 minutes and scored the goals he does then he would not be at Hibs.

Give the guy a break, who else in the current team, or in the current league scores as many quality goals as Deek....no-one !!! End off, id be happy if he was at hibs for the rest of his career !!

legends of 73
19-04-2010, 11:15 AM
really?

so have you never been up town drunk had a few words with bouncers etc or are you whiter than white

and please tell me what has he ever been convicted of??????????

Westie1875
19-04-2010, 11:22 AM
really?

Who cares, we are talking about his ability as a footballer.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Who cares, we are talking about his ability as a footballer.

We are. He's not - he's talking about stories from a few months/years ago that have little or no foundation. Riordan's criminal record is shorter than Lee Wallace's yet it's cast up at every opportunity against him.

1875 NO 1
19-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Riordan is class and played through the middle with stokes we would be netting 50 goals a season between them. Now that is hibs class :thumbsup:
Why has no other Hibs manager played deek through the middle?

1875 NO 1
19-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Position, position, position!

Play him upfront in a 2 and then his "application" isn't such an issue. Get another player on the left who will run up and down the touch line and put in tackles and leave Riordan to what he knows best. Simple as.

He should put in 100% effort no matter were Yogi plays him. And spend less time moaning to Yogi.

silverhibee
19-04-2010, 11:33 AM
If you think Steven Naismith would join us your head is in the clouds. Riordan has scored more goals than Naismith this season and although the spl stats say riordan only has 4 assists, If you look at every goal we've scored this season you will see its closer to 8. How the hell do you replace that with our budget? Why do so many people insist on wanting rid of him? sometimes I wonder why people on this messageboard support hibs, when all they do is moan and slag off our best players.

Just the the person i was looking for. :thumbsup:

I am sure a couple of weeks ago you posted that Riordan had seven assists for the season, and you posted them on Hibs.net, could you do that again and also Deeks eighth assist against Dundee Utd 4-2 game to prove to people on here that Riordan has done more than just score the odd wonder goal every now and then this season.:confused:

Cheers. Silverhibee.:thumbsup:

silverhibee
19-04-2010, 11:35 AM

And when was the last time wee were discussing that again.:confused:

silverhibee
19-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Which is.:confused:

steve75
19-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Reagarding attitude and application. I think Riordan has the best 'attitude' you could have, the guy clearly hold hibs in his heart and is one of the few that seems to hurt when we lose and is in extacy when we win/score goals. He clearly wants to scores as many as he can and thats why he goes in a mini huff when he doesn't get the ball. Maybe this doesn't make him look great but two seconds later he's up the park calling for it again.

Also I make a point of watchin Rioradn on occasion and he is far from lazy, fair enough he pretty much never makes tackles but how often if Murray ever really left 2/3 v 1? Riordan generaly gets back and makes them play it infield. Name another top spl striker that could score at least 11 goals playin left mid? He has the highest(?, might be stokes) shots/shots on target count in the SPL, with a bit more luck he would have slightly more goals, and would we be having the conversation?

Bad Martini
19-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Spot on mate. I remember having this debate when he left the first time and a massive amount of folk on here couldnt wait to see the back of him.

A lot of the same folk were the first to scream for him to "come home" on here when he come back.

Folk have short memories.

The facts are, Riordan scores for fun and can finish better than anyone else at Hibs, without a doubt. Even when playing poorly and in line with the whole team he is STILL pulling out rakers....folk seem to forget this and seem hellbent on seeing him oot the door again.

If Riordan goes, we're gonna lose goals, dead ball prowess, quality corners and set-pieces and more besides.

Ironically, if he'd been left to "do less" as so many put it (and "just" score goals) rather than all this stupid ****ing tracking back and defending everyone seems to demand from him, he'd be scoring EVEN more and adding even MORE assists to what he already has.

1875 NO 1
19-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Spot on mate. I remember having this debate when he left the first time and a massive amount of folk on here couldnt wait to see the back of him.

A lot of the same folk were the first to scream for him to "come home" on here when he come back.

Folk have short memories.

The facts are, Riordan scores for fun and can finish better than anyone else at Hibs, without a doubt. Even when playing poorly and in line with the whole team he is STILL pulling out rakers....folk seem to forget this and seem hellbent on seeing him oot the door again.

If Riordan goes, we're gonna lose goals, dead ball prowess, quality corners and set-pieces and more besides.

Ironically, if he'd been left to "do less" as so many put it (and "just" score goals) rather than all this stupid ****ing tracking back and defending everyone seems to demand from him, he'd be scoring EVEN more and adding even MORE assists to what he already has.

Sounds good - leave our fullbacks exposed, the first line of defence is your forwards putting in a shift and putting defenders under pressure.

Also, its been ok for Giggs to work up and down the left flank for the best part of 20 years. Perhaps Giggs and Fergie have got their tactics all wrong.

Perhaps he should have hung about upfront and took pot shots and goal. What a career he could have had.

1875 NO 1
19-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Reagarding attitude and application. I think Riordan has the best 'attitude' you could have, the guy clearly hold hibs in his heart and is one of the few that seems to hurt when we lose and is in extacy when we win/score goals. He clearly wants to scores as many as he can and thats why he goes in a mini huff when he doesn't get the ball. Maybe this doesn't make him look great but two seconds later he's up the park calling for it again.

Also I make a point of watchin Rioradn on occasion and he is far from lazy, fair enough he pretty much never makes tackles but how often if Murray ever really left 2/3 v 1? Riordan generaly gets back and makes them play it infield. Name another top spl striker that could score at least 11 goals playin left mid? He has the highest(?, might be stokes) shots/shots on target count in the SPL, with a bit more luck he would have slightly more goals, and would we be having the conversation?

Walked out on us for no fee and was happy to put himself out of football until he was 24 so we got no fee and he signed as a bosman for the TIC. But the TIC broke the bank to get him and gave us a massive £150k

Hermit Crab
19-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Riordan can do nothing for 89 minutes then turn up with a peach and win us a game. He maybe needs to try a bit more but id have him in the team every week but playing through the middle where hes proven to be lethal.

So answer to question is Good Enough for Hibs :thumbsup::agree:

Peevemor
19-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Walked out on us for no fee and was happy to put himself out of football until he was 24 so we got no fee and he signed as a bosman for the TIC. But the TIC broke the bank to get him and gave us a massive £150k

Do you know for certain that he had a choice in the matter?

Do you know for certain that he was "happy" about it?

It's been well documented on here that all Deek wanted from Hibs was the same offer that they'd previously made him but then took back.

silverhibee
19-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Okay, its make your mind up time, did he walk out on us for no fee, or did celtc pay £150k for him. :confused:

steve75
19-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Ok, so someone offers 4 times your wage and all you have to do is run down your contract. Sometimes in life there is more important things than football, I love hibs, i flood a good chunk of my money into them, but if you're a footballer it's a career, and you have to look at it that way. When playing for hibs you can see how much it means to him, bringin up career decisions doesn't change that.

Westie1875
19-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Ah, now we're getting to the bottom of it. People are still bitter about him leaving before so can't wait to push him out the door again, talk about twisted logic. :yawn:

Westie1875
19-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Okay, its make your mind up time, did he walk out on us for no fee, or did celtc pay £150k for him. :confused:

:faf:

Dunbar Hibee
19-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Most talented player at ER , we will know all about it if he leaves. In my eyes he's a Hibs legend already yet we have 'fans' slagging him off over messageboards.. i just don't see why?:confused:

sleeping giant
19-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Deek is a great finisher and i hope we keep him but we need a left midfielder to play left midfield IMO.

Sandy
19-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Sounds good - leave our fullbacks exposed, the first line of defence is your forwards putting in a shift and putting defenders under pressure.

Also, its been ok for Giggs to work up and down the left flank for the best part of 20 years. Perhaps Giggs and Fergie have got their tactics all wrong.

Perhaps he should have hung about upfront and took pot shots and goal. What a career he could have had.

Slavering pish

Yet more slavering pish, I see a habit forming here.

TonyStokeprano
19-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Just the the person i was looking for. :thumbsup:

I am sure a couple of weeks ago you posted that Riordan had seven assists for the season, and you posted them on Hibs.net, could you do that again and also Deeks eighth assist against Dundee Utd 4-2 game to prove to people on here that Riordan has done more than just score the odd wonder goal every now and then this season.:confused:

Cheers. Silverhibee.:thumbsup:

Not a problem.

Stokes goal against hearts at easter road deek put the ball right onto this napper.

Stokes goal against celtic at parkhead coming from a derek riordan corner

Nish goal against motherwell away deek played the ball right into nish's path.

Miller's goal v aberdeen nish plays he ball to deek who sets up miller to clinch the game

Stokes first goals v motherwell at easter road Riordan playing the ball over the motherwell defence for stokes.

Played the ball into hanlon for his goal against irvine meadow.

picks out stokes in the box to score the 5th against hamilton

Set's up goal in 4-2 defeat to dundee united.

Dunbar Hibee
19-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Not a problem.

Stokes goal against hearts at easter road deek put the ball right onto this napper.

Stokes goal against celtic at parkhead coming from a derek riordan corner

Nish goal against motherwell away deek played the ball right into nish's path.

Miller's goal v aberdeen nish plays he ball to deek who sets up miller to clinch the game

Stokes first goals v motherwell at easter road Riordan playing the ball over the motherwell defence for stokes.

Played the ball into hanlon for his goal against irvine meadow.

picks out stokes in the box to score the 5th against hamilton

Set's up goal in 4-2 defeat to dundee united.

I could be talking pish but didn't Deek set up Stokes' 2nd goal against Aberdeen at Pittodrie as well?

bighairyfaeleith
19-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Why has no other Hibs manager played deek through the middle?

Because they don't have my insight:greengrin

Hence the reason none of them are here any more and I am. So there :take that

number 27
19-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I could be talking pish but didn't Deek set up Stokes' 2nd goal against Aberdeen at Pittodrie as well?

I think there were also two goals taken off him and credited as OG's, surely they count as assists too :dunno:

Cropley10
19-04-2010, 01:50 PM

So what!???????????

The only people who want US to get rid of Deek are Jambos and other supporters on the wind up.

LTYF.

Cropley10
19-04-2010, 01:51 PM

He disnae ken, does he?:wink:

LTYF

silverhibee
19-04-2010, 01:59 PM
He disnae ken, does he?:wink:

LTYF

He does, he just doesn't know. :wink: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
19-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Care to expand on that somewhat weird statement?

Naismith is an average player who scores very few goals so no thanks

Amen to that brother :agree::thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
19-04-2010, 02:20 PM

:lolyam: :lolyam:

Riordan has scored mare goals from the left hand side of midfield this season than the entire hearts strikers put together for 2 seasons!

Thats my general opinion Fudley fae Fudtown.

3pm
19-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Play Riordan in the 'hole' and get a proper left midfielder.

down-the-slope
19-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Im probably wasting my time here as the debate as usual is as polarised as most peoples voting habits:bitchy:...but anyway

Derek has scored more goals of real quality than anyone else I have seen in 25+ years of watching Hibs

However

Derek has never been a natural athlete / grafter
He has never been played (other than odd occasion) as main striker as playing with his back to goal is not his strength
Derek has always been torn faced if things not going his way

So whats different than his early career with Hibs :rolleyes:

He has lost a fair bit of what was not in the first place blistering pace (must say I don't understand this given he is not exactly in the twilight of his playing days?)this is hampering his options and making more readable (i.e he goes outside less than a hermit)
His previous spells were in quite different formations than recently used. (cue the groans from those that don't think this matter or is the case...it does and it is)
We have played 4-3-3 or 4-4-2...hell even 4-2-4 this season if we continue to do that we will never get the best out of him and will see his deficiencies most clearly.
when he could do no wrong we were playing 4-5-1 (remember we had Brown Thomson Stewart / Boozy as the 3 in the middle...ah the days of a midfield) and Sproule Sheils etc on right...and a work horse and none too shabby striker in O'Conner up front. This allowed him to do what he likes best in coming in off the left and scoring with the right (try looking at highlights of his goals) He did not have such a remit to cover back as the full back got cover from generally Thomson etc. He is at his best coming ont the ball from deeper...but does not have pace/stamina to recover after a run / shot to get back and cover. (he has been really trying this latter several games..but it will nevr work)
He also played in what might be described as 4-4-1-1 him in the Hole..albeit left sided. again he could support from deeper without having crucial defensive duties

So in essence...He will always be a moaner :wink:
HE needs to find that lost pace
YOGI needs to play a formation that allows his best to benefit the team and his weaknesses not to affect it

PS....can't see it working with stokes in the Forward role as he is not the grafter / hold up player that Derek can work off...so for me its an either / or with a MIDFIELD (I know this is an odd concept) that can both feed the ball and also protect the defence

I could go on...but i'm boring myself:nerd:

HibbyAndy
19-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Im probably wasting my time here as the debate as usual is as polarised as most peoples voting habits:bitchy:...but anyway

Derek has scored more goals of real quality than anyone else I have seen in 25+ years of watching Hibs

However

Derek has never been a natural athlete / grafter
He has never been played (other than odd occasion) as main striker as playing with his back to goal is not his strength
Derek has always been torn faced if things not going his way

So whats different than his early career with Hibs :rolleyes:

He has lost a fair bit of what was not in the first place blistering pace (must say I don't understand this given he is not exactly in the twilight of his playing days?)this is hampering his options and making more readable (i.e he goes outside less than a hermit)
His previous spells were in quite different formations than recently used. (cue the groans from those that don't think this matter or is the case...it does and it is)
We have played 4-3-3 or 4-4-2...hell even 4-2-4 this season if we continue to do that we will never get the best out of him and will see his deficiencies most clearly.
when he could do no wrong we were playing 4-5-1 (remember we had Brown Thomson Stewart / Boozy as the 3 in the middle...ah the days of a midfield) and Sproule Sheils etc on right...and a work horse and none too shabby striker in O'Conner up front. This allowed him to do what he likes best in coming in off the left and scoring with the right (try looking at highlights of his goals) He did not have such a remit to cover back as the full back got cover from generally Thomson etc. He is at his best coming ont the ball from deeper...but does not have pace/stamina to recover after a run / shot to get back and cover. (he has been really trying this latter several games..but it will nevr work)
He also played in what might be described as 4-4-1-1 him in the Hole..albeit left sided. again he could support from deeper without having crucial defensive duties

So in essence...He will always be a moaner :wink:
HE needs to find that lost pace
YOGI needs to play a formation that allows his best to benefit the team and his weaknesses not to affect it

PS....can't see it working with stokes in the Forward role as he is not the grafter / hold up player that Derek can work off...so for me its an either / or with a MIDFIELD (I know this is an odd concept) that can both feed the ball and also protect the defence

I could go on...but i'm boring myself:nerd:

Super post Pal. :agree:

The Modfather
19-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Riordan is the most gifted player to come through the ranks in my lifetime, he has also scored some of the best goals I've seen. His ability isn't in question, it's there for all to see, but I make no bones about the fact that even after all this time I have still to warm to Deeko after the way he shafted us in moving to Sellick, contract terms withdrawn or not. That's just my personal opinion, and there is probably a degree of truth in me giving Riordan a harder time than others because of how he left.

Left midfield is not his position, we are all agreed on that, and to score the number of goals he has from there, well you've got to give credit where it's due. At the same time, the he's working harder than any other time argument doesn't mean alot if he is still giving less than 100% which is the minimum I ask from any player. Be it an all action type ala Murray, or a commited honest pro like Hogg (wheter he is good enough is a different argument for a different day).

Lets look at the context here, for all eulogising (sp?) about Deeks, he is playing in a woefull SPL, although that doesn't make moments of genius like Saturday any less special. I wonder how he would get on in a better league, or somewhere like the Championship. I suspect he would end up an impact sub. For all his talent, he has 1 Scotland cap to his name and, unfortunately (due solely to Deek and his hunger/desire/commitment etc IMO) that is about right.

Riordan is a big(ger) fish in a small(er) pond. I think a lot of the frustrations stem from the fact, yes he looks likely to hit 100 career (or is it league?) goals for Hibs, which is a fair old achievment - the history books prove this, but he could, and should, have achieved more. His attitude/hunger/desire etc limited what he will achieve in the game.

Personaly I wouldn''t mind if we got decent money for him and used that to strengthen the team with 2 or 3 signings in key positions, shared Riordans goals around a couple of players, and became a better team/unit.

That's my attempt at putting forward a debate from the critical side of the Riordan fence.

Cheers

Tam

Big Frank
19-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Riordan for Hibs :thumbsup:

Magic goalscorer and sits in illustrious company in the all time Hibernian greats.

Only a yam fud would want him out of ER.

sleeping giant
19-04-2010, 08:51 PM
:lolyam: :lolyam:

Riordan has scored mare goals from the left hand side of midfield this season than the entire hearts strikers put together for 2 seasons!

Thats my general opinion Fudley fae Fudtown.

That cant be true Andy. Surely not ?

Please let it be :greengrin If anyone can confirm , its going straight on my Facebook:greengrin

shagpile
19-04-2010, 09:01 PM
We certainly missed it last time he left.

We would not have won the CIS cup without him!:blah:
It would have been interesting to see Collins' take on Riordan. I don't think he would have played much when JC was manager.

Booked4Being-Ugly
19-04-2010, 09:20 PM
We would not have won the CIS cup without him!:blah:
It would have been interesting to see Collins' take on Riordan. I don't think he would have played much when JC was manager.Why's that then?

Bad Martini
20-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Did I say we should leave our full backs exposed? I said Riordan's best position and the best his skills lie elsewhere. Is he the only player to defend the forwards? Did I say "thou shalt never tackle" ? No. I said, he should remain where he can score (check the stats) and set-up (check the stats) goals...THAT, is where his skills lie. Not ****ing around running between the 18 yard line and the half way line....he canny do everything.

Giggs has scored 105 goals over 585 appearances (1990-now) and IS an out and out midfielder.

Riordan has scored 78 goals (for Hibs) over 188 appearances and is NOT an out and out midfielder. If you add the total number of professional goals Riordan has scored (as Giggs tally is from 1990-now) you arrive at 84 goals over a total of 214 appearances (24 of which were for celtc, mostly from the bench with almost zero time on the pitch)...Deeks timescales are from 2001....so in 11 years less than the wonderful Giggs, he's scored not too many less, and had less than half the appearances.....

I wonder how many more goals he would have scored had St Tony not pissed about playing big Konte up front when he was sickening Riordan out the door???

Perhaps. Perhaps Riordans goals and assists are worth more than you're suggesting. The stats don't lie and since you started comparing Deek with Giggs, I think, given wages, time on the pitch and relative comparison, he's done not too shabbily thus far on the goal scoring front. :rolleyes: