PDA

View Full Version : Women try to take dead body on plane

ArabHibee
06-04-2010, 09:20 PM
:shocked: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8604663.stm)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8604663.stm

Phil D. Rolls
06-04-2010, 09:40 PM
IIRC a similair thing happened in Edinburgh a couple of years back. A guy and his son booked a cab to Berwick, brought down a wheelchair with a lady wrapped up in a scarf and wearing sunglasses.

Two weeks later, the police tracked them down to their holiday house, and the lady's body was in the freezer. Turned out theyd been keeping the woman alive for years, despite medical advice. (The old guy knew about electrics and had apparently rigged up his own life support equipment).

When the old girl eventually passed over, they kept her sitting at the table for a couple of says, wearing her best dress, whilst they all had a last meal togother. They then decided that, rather than bury her, they would take her to the holiday home and keep her there.

A tragic, yet ghoulish story ended with the police dropping the matter. My question is how did the cab driver not notice something was up. Could he possibly have been partially blinded by the £120 fare?

Sylar
06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I recall a similar story from the US a while back, whereby 2 young lads kept their grandfather (maybe father...the details aren't crystal...)'s body for weeks after he died, failing to declare his death so they could continue to cash in on his pension/social cheques.

The bank became suspicious that these lads were always in the bank on his behalf so stated that they needed their relative to be present/sign for release of funds.

They put him in a wheelchair, gave him sunglasses and wheeled his corpse down Broadway - the police were called after members of staff noticed a lack of colour and putrid odour.

Crazy world we live in.

Bayern Bru
06-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Reminds me of the time there was a rugby league final or something similar at M'field, and it was someone like Leeds Rhinos vs Wasps, and one of the fans actually died whilst in Edinburgh, but they propped him up on the bus and carted him home for some reason (probably being pished and worried), but reading this brought that back to mind.

Currently in Berlin on a wee break, and I can confirm nae cadavers have been seen thus far! :cool2:

--------
07-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Can't see the problem, really - just as long as Willi wasn't oozing bodily fluids...

... or flying the plane. :devil:

Phil D. Rolls
07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I recall a similar story from the US a while back, whereby 2 young lads kept their grandfather (maybe father...the details aren't crystal...)'s body for weeks after he died, failing to declare his death so they could continue to cash in on his pension/social cheques.

The bank became suspicious that these lads were always in the bank on his behalf so stated that they needed their relative to be present/sign for release of funds.

They put him in a wheelchair, gave him sunglasses and wheeled his corpse down Broadway - the police were called after members of staff noticed a lack of colour and putrid odour.

Crazy world we live in.

I used to do claims for Health Insurance. I remember a story about someone in India who couldn't write, so he signed his claim form with a thumb print. When he died the relatives cut off his thumb and continued to used it to sign the forms.

There was also a case in Tollcross a few years back where some guy who was an undertaker had embalmed his parents and kept them in the cellar for 15 years or something. It was just across the road from the people who tried to keep the woman in the deep freeze.

Some place Tollcross - I'm beginning to worry about how much I know about these things. :eek:

--------
07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I used to do claims for Health Insurance. I remember a story about someone in India who couldn't write, so he signed his claim form with a thumb print. When he died the relatives cut off his thumb and continued to used it to sign the forms.

There was also a case in Tollcross a few years back where some guy who was an undertaker had embalmed his parents and kept them in the cellar for 15 years or something. It was just across the road from the people who tried to keep the woman in the deep freeze.

Some place Tollcross - I'm beginning to worry about how much I know about these things. :eek:

Lots of families around you go by the surname BATES, FR?

heretoday
07-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Ryanair - they'd have got on no bother. Half the passengers are dead on arrival anyway.

J-C
07-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Seemingly trying to save themselves £3,000 on the tranfer of a body to Germany.

poolman
07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
My Willi is my god. I [have loved] my Willi for 22 years."

When I was 22 I felt the same :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Lots of families around you go by the surname BATES, FR?

I know a nice couple nearby, and their charming son Master....sorry it had to be done.

Woody1985
07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Seemingly trying to save themselves £3,000 on the tranfer of a body to Germany.

That was my assumption on reading it first time.

My Willi is my god. I [have loved] my Willi for 22 years."

When I was 22 I felt the same :greengrin

:faf:

--------
07-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I know a nice couple nearby, and their charming son Master....sorry it had to be done.

FYI, Jonathan Swift used that pun in the opening chapter of "Gulliver's Travels" nearly 400 years ago.

Is this the oldest joke ever to appear on Hibs.net?

:cool2:

Edit: In case you don't believe me, this is the text of the opening of Chapter One...

"My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire: I was the third
of five sons. He sent me to Emanuel College in Cambridge at
fourteen years old, where I resided three years, and applied myself
close to my studies; but the charge of maintaining me, although I
had a very scanty allowance, being too great for a narrow fortune,
I was bound apprentice to Mr. James Bates, an eminent surgeon in
London, with whom I continued four years. My father now and then
sending me small sums of money, I laid them out in learning
navigation, and other parts of the mathematics, useful to those who
intend to travel, as I always believed it would be, some time or
other, my fortune to do. When I left Mr. Bates, I went down to my
father: where, by the assistance of him and my uncle John, and
some other relations, I got forty pounds, and a promise of thirty
pounds a year to maintain me at Leyden: there I studied physic two
years and seven months, knowing it would be useful in long voyages.

Soon after my return from Leyden, I was recommended by my good
master, Mr. Bates, to be surgeon to the Swallow, Captain Abraham
Pannel, commander; with whom I continued three years and a half,
making a voyage or two into the Levant, and some other parts. When
I came back I resolved to settle in London; to which Mr. Bates, my
master, encouraged me, and by him I was recommended to several
patients. I took part of a small house in the Old Jewry; and being
advised to alter my condition, I married Mrs. Mary Burton, second
daughter to Mr. Edmund Burton, hosier, in Newgate-street, with whom
I received four hundred pounds for a portion.

But my good master Bates dying in two years after, and I having few
friends, my business began to fail....."

ArabHibee
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM

The story in bold is a old as the hills, I was told that one when I was doing my training with the Halifax, except it was a Massai warrior from a tribe in Africa!

--------
07-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Reminds me of an old movie, "Weekend At Bernie's"....

JennaFletcher
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Read this on the Metro and couldn't believe it yesterday! Thought it was some sort of sick joke!

Who would do that? I would freak if I was the guy helping the dead guy out the wheelchair... as his ice cold face touched his... :bitchy:

--------
08-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Read this on the Metro and couldn't believe it yesterday! Thought it was some sort of sick joke!

Who would do that? I would freak if I was the guy helping the dead guy out the wheelchair... as his ice cold face touched his... :bitchy:

It's cheaper to put him in a seat on the passenger cabin than it is to despatch him back to Germany in a big box in the cargo hold. I suspect that the trick is to wheel him in in a wheelchair, keep talking to him all the time, don't let anyone else touch him, and when the snacks come round remember to ask the attendant for a beer and a packet of crisps for him, and scoff 'em yourself.

This pair either hadn't thought it it properly, or weren't very good at the pretending bit. I'm sure it's been done.

Face it - I'd rather sit beside somebody dead grandad than most Celtic supporters I know. Or a 30-stone FA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-T MAN....

At least with a dead man I get the arm-rests and there's no argument about what film we watch.