PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific

Godsahibby
05-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm sure it starts tonight on Sky Movies and i'd recommend you watch it if you can. I was a bit worried it wouldnt live up to the hype but I'm 4 episodes in and so far it has been fantastic. Been interesting to find out a bit more about the war in the pacific, something that before now i've not known much about with the History I've delt with more on the war in Europe.

Like Band of Brothers I will be getting this when it comes out on box set, purely just for the extras, they should be pretty interesting.

Saorsa
05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sure it starts tonight on Sky Movies and i'd recommend you watch it if you can. I was a bit worried it wouldnt live up to the hype but I'm 4 episodes in and so far it has been fantastic. Been interesting to find out a bit more about the war in the pacific, something that before now i've not known much about with the History I've delt with more on the war in Europe.

Like Band of Brothers I will be getting this when it comes out on box set, purely just for the extras, they should be pretty interesting.I'll be watching it :agree: :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Is it being shown on a weekly basis? quite looking forward to it.

Sylar
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm absolutely furious it's being shown on Sky Movies and not one of the more accessible channels - sheer profiteering from the *******s.

I watched this when it premiered in the USA on the Fox channel (channel FX over here) and was really looking forward to seeing it over here.

Sky Movies is the only part of their package I don't have and there's no way I'm subscribing just to watch something which shouldn't even be on there.

Their decision to put a drama series on one of their payment package channels is farcical.

Lofarl
05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Does it omitt everything the other allies did against the Japs too?

Godsahibby
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Like Band of Brothers it follows one unit so not much mention of what else went on.

EH6 Hibby
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm absolutely furious it's being shown on Sky Movies and not one of the more accessible channels - sheer profiteering from the *******s.

I watched this when it premiered in the USA on the Fox channel (channel FX over here) and was really looking forward to seeing it over here.

Sky Movies is the only part of their package I don't have and there's no way I'm subscribing just to watch something which shouldn't even be on there.

Their decision to put a drama series on one of their payment package channels is farcical.

Sounds like when Sky started showing Scottish European Football matches on Sky One when they were having their disagreement with Virgin which meant Virgins customers who were no longer getting Sky One couldn't watch them. I paid for Sky Sports at the time and I was furious. :grr:

lyonhibs
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I've seen the first 3 episodes, and it's shaping up to be at least the equal of Band of Brothers.

Saorsa
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Anybody who watched this live have any problems with it breaking up? I recorded it on Skyplus and when I tried tae watch it it kept breaking up :grr:

bod
05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
anyone want to say who wins to save me watching it

GhostofBolivar
06-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Does it omitt everything the other allies did against the Japs too?

It's about the Pacific campaign, which didn't really involve anyone other than the US and Japan.

Also, please don't use the word 'Japs'. It's generally considered racist these days. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap)

Gatecrasher
06-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Watched it tonight, Brilliant!

im always amazed at what some of these people have went through and have my deepest respect.

It was good when they were steeling the army supplies :greengrin

hibsbollah
07-04-2010, 07:46 AM
It's about the Pacific campaign, which didn't really involve anyone other than the US and Japan.

Also, please don't use the word 'Japs'. It's generally considered racist these days. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap)

I'm sure the British veterans of the Burma campaign (as well as the Australians), and the Russians who made significant advances against the Japanese on the Northern front might disagree with you there.

Heggie
07-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm sure the British veterans of the Burma campaign (as well as the Australians), and the Russians who made significant advances against the Japanese on the Northern front might disagree with you there.

Agreed, you can also add the estimated three to four million Chinese military casualties to that list. The Pacific is an awsome TV series thou.

GhostofBolivar
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM

What I said was right.

The series is being advertised as 'The Pacific' not 'The War against Japan.'

XIVth Army in Burma came under the aegis of Mountbatten's South East Asia Command in Ceylon.

The Pacific campaign was a different theatre of operations entirely and had two command structes. The first was Nimitz's Pacific Ocean Area command; the second MacArthur's South West Pacific Areas command. It was very much an American war. Other nations didn't have the resources to operate in theatre and, in any case, there were conscious efforts by US commanders to marginalise the forces of allied nations.

Midway, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Kwajalein, Saipan, The Phillipine Sea, Leyte and the Phillipines, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, Okinawa.

American battles. American victories.