PDA

View Full Version : The Libertines reform - playing Reading Festival!

Steve-O
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Surprised there is no thread on this, unless I have missed it?

Libertines are back! Surprised they are not headlining though, Arcade Fire headlining instead?! Weird I reckon. And Guns 'N Roses headlining also, even weirder IMO!

http://www.readingfestival.com/#lineup

Antifa Hibs
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
This is defo not an april fool? :greengrin

Now watch everyone jump on the Libertines bandwagon despite not being able to name a song.

Steve-O
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
This is defo not an april fool? :greengrin

Now watch everyone jump on the Libertines bandwagon despite not being able to name a song.

Defo no April Fool, seen it with my own eyes on the news here just now. Pete and Carl slurring on about how it's not about the money :blah: :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Defo no April Fool, seen it with my own eyes on the news here just now. Pete and Carl slurring on about how it's not about the money :blah: :greengrin

Magic.

Course its not about the £1million offered to them. It's all about the love of the music :greengrin

Libertines in the HMV Picture Hoose, pwetty pwease.

Marabou Stork
01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Arcade Fire are approximately 8,419 times better than The Libertines. That'll probably be why they're headlining.

Hank Schrader
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Arcade Fire are approximately 8,419 times better than The Libertines. That'll probably be why they're headlining.

:top marks

.Sean.
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Arcade Fire are ******. Heres hoping The Libs tour later in the year, Glasgow or Edinburgh, preferably both. Libertines at the Picture House would be a riot :greengrin

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Magic.

Course its not about the £1million offered to them. It's all about the love of the music :greengrin

Libertines in the HMV Picture Hoose, pwetty pwease.
Pete pretty much admitted he's reformed the band to pay the million odd quid worth of tax he's due.

Chuckie
01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
There has been no thread about them being reformed because The Libertines are a bunch of greasy, unwashed, thieving jakeballs with about 5 decent songs that my granny could play....

To compare them to Arcade Fire is like comparing my knob cheese to a piece of fine stilton...

CB_NO3
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
There has been no thread about them being reformed because The Libertines are a bunch of greasy, unwashed, thieving jakeballs with about 5 decent songs that my granny could play....

To compare them to Arcade Fire is like comparing my knob cheese to a piece of fine stilton...

Ill second that, I really like The Libertines but they are not in the same league as Arcade Fire musically.

Steve-O
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Let me just be clear that I LOVE Arcade Fire, but I also really like The Libertines.

It is just surprising, to me, that Arcade Fire are headlining a massive festival like that as I thought they were slightly more niche than that.

Incidentally, I assume this means that a new Arcade Fire album is forthcoming, so that's good news.

lyonhibs
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM

:agree: :agree:

The Libertines may be SUPPOSED to be playing, but that junkie fiend Pete Docherty will end up with an ankle tag and a "stern word" from the court following his 13477000th conviction for wandering about the place smacked oot his box with "several grammes" of cannabis/cocaine on his person.

He'll be in jail/court/The Priory by the time this festival comes around.

Sylar
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Pretty mixed lineup to be honest - Reading shouldn't be an Indie piss-fest, so I can't understand why the Libertines are going to be there - no reason to endure them though as there are plenty of top acts in that lineup!

Billy Talent
NOFX
Lostprophets
Biffy Clyro
QOTSA
G'n'R (if they turn up - they're building a reputation for "missing" gigs)

Pendulum
Enter Shikari
Arcade Fire

Blink
Paramore
Weezer
Limp Bizkit (for some old skool remeniscing)
YM@6
All Time Low

Saturday would be a waste for me, but Friday and Sunday look pretty good in accordance with my musical tastes.

Edit: Leeds is calling instead - Libertines et al. on the Friday with Saturday featuring Blink et al. and Sunday featuring G'n'R et al. - sweet!

.Sean.
04-04-2010, 05:34 PM
PLEASE play Rockness :pray:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2916229/Pete-Doherty-reunion-with-Libertines-will-pay-tax-bill.html (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2916229/Pete-Doherty-reunion-with-Libertines-will-pay-tax-bill.html)

Storar
05-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Not too long now! Can't wait :partyhibb

Hibs On Tour
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I would personally love to ****** in a bottle then twat that junkie erse Doherty roond the napper with it repeatedly. Guy is just a complete tosspot - I've heard say that the dragon can do that with one if one isn't careful mind you... fail to see what the hero worship of this melt is about - not like his songs are even particularly good or memorable even! :confused:

Storar
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I would personally love to ****** in a bottle then twat that junkie erse Doherty roond the napper with it repeatedly. Guy is just a complete tosspot - I've heard say that the dragon can do that with one if one isn't careful mind you... fail to see what the hero worship of this melt is about - not like his songs are even particularly good or memorable even! :confused:
:hilarious
pretty sure the thousands of people that have bought his albums and tickets to his gigs over the years will disagree

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they aren't any good , just shows that you know **** all

.Sean.
06-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Pish.

Music is ****-hot mate :cool2:

Hainan Hibs
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Utter rubbish band.

.Sean.
06-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Utter rubbish band.
Opinions, erseholes and all that...

ArabHibee
06-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Calvin
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
The personality of the singer matters little when listening to the songs. That's why I still like the Cribs.

One of the best bands of the decade I have to say.

Number69
07-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Dont look back into the sun

Cant stand me now

Death on the stairs

Delaney

Albion

Killamangiro

What became of the likely lads

Up the bracket

Sorry for you Sir but all amazing songs, all memorable too so away abck onto the media bandwagon and slag off someone you dont know.:bye:

.Sean.
07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Time For Heroes

What a Waster

**** Forever

Cant stand me now

Death on the stairs

Delaney

Albion

Killamangiro

Up the bracket

Sorry for you Sir but all amazing songs, all memorable too so away abck onto the media bandwagon and slag off someone you dont know.:bye:
Fixed the top of your list. And let's not forget some of Pete's tremendous solo work :agree:

Number69
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Fixed the top of your list. And let's not forget some of Pete's tremendous solo work :agree:

Good call!

Music when the lights go out

For Lovers

Time For Heroes

What a Waster

**** Forever

Cant stand me now

Death on the stairs

Delaney

Albion

Killamangiro

Up the bracket

Calvin
07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Their Way is one of my favourite songs ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLkTCkwpgY8

.Sean.
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Although some of it may be on my PC, laptop, new laptop, flash drives, discs and the like I think I must have the vast majority of everything ever recorded by Peter Doherty- his solo stuff, Babyshambles and The Libertines, including demos, B-sides, live recordings etc...

How on earth have I never heard that? What an absolute cracker of a tune.

Cheers Calvin :aok:

Storar
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Their Way isn't Shambles or Libs, it's a Littl'ans song that Pete did vocals on because he liked it so much.
Anyway, how come Vertigo, Waterloo, Breck Road, Never Never, Cyclops, Tell The King and Horrorshow weren't mentioned in the list! Not to mention The Good Old Days!
Such a fanboy:rolleyes:

Calvin
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Their Way isn't Shambles or Libs, it's a Littl'ans song that Pete did vocals on because he liked it so much.
Anyway, how come Vertigo, Waterloo, Breck Road, Never Never, Cyclops, Tell The King and Horrorshow weren't mentioned in the list! Not to mention The Good Old Days!
Such a fanboy:rolleyes:

Absolutely, but I think his vocal is really top notch on it.

Horror Show is one of my personal favourites.

SRHibs
07-07-2010, 09:10 PM

I actually heard this ages ago and just never got the name of it.
Thanks for posting. Superb tune.:agree:

.Sean.
07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Absolutely, but I think his vocal is really top notch on it.

Horror Show is one of my personal favourites.
I really like Music When The Lights Go Out. Pete often opens his solo shows with it too.

Arbeit Macht Frei should've and probably could've been longer. What a great wee tune, pity it's barely a few minutes long. Same applies to Narcissist.

Calvin
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I really like Music When The Lights Go Out. Pete often opens his solo shows with it too.

Arbeit Macht Frei should've and probably could've been longer. What a great wee tune, pity it's barely a few minutes long. Same applies to Narcissist.

Yes, my favourite of the Libertines slower numbers.

SRHibs
08-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I'd have Sedative and Unbilotitled up there with my top Doherty songs.:agree:

.Sean.
08-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I'd have Sedative and Unbilotitled up there with my top Doherty songs.:agree:
If we're discussing his solo material now, i'll raise you You're My Waterloo (yes a Libertines track, though rarely performed by the band, written by Peter, regularly performed by Peter), and I Am The Rain.

I love the Babyshambles acoustic numbers, notablely Albion and Lost Art Of Murder. Beutiful songs and awesome live :agree:

Storar
08-07-2010, 03:56 PM
If we're discussing his solo material now, i'll raise you You're My Waterloo (yes a Libertines track, though rarely performed by the band, written by Peter, regularly performed by Peter), and I Am The Rain.

I love the Babyshambles acoustic numbers, notablely Albion and Lost Art Of Murder. Beutiful songs and awesome live :agree:
To be fair, every Libs song is played more by Peter than the band! Waterloo is defo a Libs track and is up there with Breckland Road Lover.

Btw, if you like Arbeit Macht Frei you should check out Mayday. Think it's on the What a Waster EP. And if you're into the acoustic stuff the the HQ Sessions and the Freewheelin sessions are for you!
Aslo, I'm sure that other than the first verse, I Am The Rain was written by someone from The Bandits?

.Sean.
08-07-2010, 04:14 PM
To be fair, every Libs song is played more by Peter than the band! Waterloo is defo a Libs track and is up there with Breckland Road Lover.

Btw, if you like Arbeit Macht Frei you should check out Mayday. Think it's on the What a Waster EP. And if you're into the acoustic stuff the the HQ Sessions and the Freewheelin sessions are for you!
Aslo, I'm sure that other than the first verse, I Am The Rain was written by someone from The Bandits?
Yep, i've more than one copy of Mayday mate.

Reading this thread earlier got me in the mood for listening to some early demos/B-sides... Forgot just how good the vast majority of them are. Especially Skag & Bone Man, Hooligans on E (acoustic version), Breck Road Lover and Never Never. I've got a fair few of the rareish ones. Some of them don't even have Powell on drums, it's Steve Duffour I believe.

Storar
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yep, i've more than one copy of Mayday mate.

Reading this thread earlier got me in the mood for listening to some early demos/B-sides... Forgot just how good the vast majority of them are. Especially Skag & Bone Man, Hooligans on E (acoustic version), Breck Road Lover and Never Never. I've got a fair few of the rareish ones. Some of them don't even have Powell on drums, it's Steve Duffour I believe.

Powell came in late so there's quite a few older tracks with different drummers. Infact anything from before the Rough Trade days will be! Think you're meaning Paul Dufour though :wink: AKA Mr Razzcocks. Steve was the original singer:agree:

Tyler Durden
24-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm off to see the boys in the band tomorrow at the Forum in Kentish town - anyone else get lucky in the ballot?

8 years or so after first gettin into the Libs I'm finally gonna see Pigface and Carlos together, cannot f#ckin wait!! Seen them separately abt 20 times, saw the Libs at T minus Peter but this will be the first with a full complement. In a 2,000 capacity venue aswell, worth the wait!

CB_NO3
25-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm off to see the boys in the band tomorrow at the Forum in Kentish town - anyone else get lucky in the ballot?

8 years or so after first gettin into the Libs I'm finally gonna see Pigface and Carlos together, cannot f#ckin wait!! Seen them separately abt 20 times, saw the Libs at T minus Peter but this will be the first with a full complement. In a 2,000 capacity venue aswell, worth the wait!
My 2 mates are in Kendish town tonight watching them, Gutted.

Storar
25-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Sickening, it's going to be awesome and I'm so jealous!

Not to worry, I bought my day ticket for Leeds to go see Biggles and Bilo (just realised how gay that is) and can't wait!
32 hour round trip to go see my favourite band, it's gonna be brutal!