PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Rory89
29-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi,

Since I moved out in September I've been putting my 5p's and shrapnel in my top shelf for a rainy day. I'm now absolutely skint and when it occured to me to look on the shelf for the first time in months I found there must be a good 15 quids worth up there. I'm so broke I could do with the money, but obviously don't fancy buying a Big Mac with 200 2p's. So, do any of you know what places would be happy to take a *****load of small coins in exchange for notes and pound coins, there must be somewhere that needs change?

Sorry I'm aware this is the most boring thread in the history of time but if someone has an answer they'd be doing me a favour. Cheers.

Beefster
29-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi,

Since I moved out in September I've been putting my 5p's and shrapnel in my top shelf for a rainy day. I'm now absolutely skint and when it occured to me to look on the shelf for the first time in months I found there must be a good 15 quids worth up there. I'm so broke I could do with the money, but obviously don't fancy buying a Big Mac with 200 2p's. So, do any of you know what places would be happy to take a *****load of small coins in exchange for notes and pound coins, there must be somewhere that needs change?

Sorry I'm aware this is the most boring thread in the history of time but if someone has an answer they'd be doing me a favour. Cheers.

I think most Asda and Tesco stores have coin changers. They take a chunk in 'commission' though.

Alternatively, if you're friendly with anyone that owns a shop or pub, they might change them for you as they'll be able to pay them into the bank easier.

Dinkydoo
29-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi,

All of the Tesco supermarkets in Dumfries have coin converters although as Beefster said, they take a percentage of your hard earned - would imagine that it's the same where you are.

I however grudge giving money away so tend to use the local post office. They provide the wee bags (at no cost) and should be happy enough to convert for you. You might wanty watch how much you take in though, the women that works behind the desk at the Georgetown posty looks like shes chewing on a wasp everytime I walk in - I just give her the "It's part of yer *****g job.....Get on with it" look :faf:

Teo10
29-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Sort them all out into Pound Bags you get from the bank, then go in and they will put the money into your account?

PiemanP
29-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi,

If you sort them, then put them into small bags which u get from the bank(ie 100 5ps for £5, 100 pennies for £1) then the bank will weigh them a give you notes/£1 coins for them.

Used to work in a bank, its commission free, but you do look like a right scaff :greengrin

Speedy
29-03-2010, 11:56 AM
If you sort them, then put them into small bags which u get from the bank(ie 100 5ps for £5, 100 pennies for £1) then the bank will weigh them a give you notes/£1 coins for them.

Used to work in a bank, its commission free, but you do look like a right scaff :greengrin

This :agree:

Rory89
29-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Cheers guys, think I'll get some of those bags from the bank and come back with my bags full of change for them.

I used to be too embarrased to be seen picking up less than 50p off the ground if I dropped it, now I'm planning on heading to the bank with my bags full of shrapnel. Tragic. :boo hoo:

Woody1985
29-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I stick all of mine in an old pringles tub and end up with about £15/20 when it gets full. I stick them in the bag and get them changed when I'm skint. No shame, it's money all the same!

My gran and grandad used to do it every year and used it to pay for drinks for new year, they'd get £80/100 a year doing it.

Jack
29-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Your own bank will do it for nowt.

I have a coin sorter, great way of saving :agree: , and take £5/600 worth of change about twice a year to the bank and get it paid into my account - free.

Peevemor
29-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I used to stick all my shrapnel in a big jar every night (anything lower than a £1 coin). I'd dip back into it when I need change for the bus, a paper or whatever, but every few months I'd change it for a decent wedge.

No shame in that (and it saves you knackering your pockets :nerd:).

ArabHibee
29-03-2010, 08:20 PM

:bitchy:

This :agree:

You may find that some banks won't change it for you unless you have an account for them. And even if you have an account with them, they will want you to pay it into your account.

Bloody bankers!! :grr:

sleeping giant
29-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a big bottle with a wedge in it.

The last time i emptied it was about 7 years ago.
Took my boy to Asda and converted the change to £77. Bought him a Ninja Turtle suit and Finding Nemo video and we went out for the day:thumbsup:

Mon the Change:thumbsup:

I'm looking at mine now wondering what i can spend it on :greengrin

millarco
29-03-2010, 08:54 PM

You may find that some banks won't change it for you unless you have an account for them. And even if you have an account with them, they will want you to pay it into your account.

Bloody bankers!! :grr:

It was like that when I worked for Clydesdale Bank. You weren't supposed to sort the coin out for customers either, though I didn't have the heart to tell some folk I couldn't take their money because it wasn't in the correct bags. Can understand it may be a hassle if it isn't practical to get to your own bank, but it isn't too time consuming to simply pay it in and take it straight back out.

Rory89
30-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Haha, OK I may have misjudged this situation, there's only £5.86 in change. :boo hoo:

Now if I felt like a tramp before, I'm really not sure if I can bring myself to walk into a bank with less than 6 quid's worth of change and ask for it to be put into my bank account, mind you I am in Glasgow which makes me feel better. :greengrin

I'll not be entering any "how many sweeties in the jar" competitions any time soon.

--------
30-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Forget how you look - it's £15 of your money, and the bank should be there to serve YOU, the customer.

If you get a funny look, say that you've been collecting it for a good cause. No lie, is it? I have a biscuit barrel I fill over months, then convert to notes (DON'T TELL SWMBO), and that's what I tell them when I take the dosh in.

Going to ER = GOOD CAUSE, right?

Erm - £6? I'd keep it for a while. :devil:

Ants
30-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Take your change to Morrisons, get yir messages, use the self pay and then empty your contents into the money dump.

Coinstar machines charge about 8% commision.

Jack
30-03-2010, 11:46 AM
This, honest to god, is a true story. :agree:

A Tim Nice but Dim character I know quite well bought a coin sorter (like what I did although I have always called them change machines). He merrily chucked his change in on a regular basis and delighted in watching it churn the cash. The first time he opened it to get the money out he was surprised the change was still there. :cool2: He had expected it to be ‘changed’ to notes! :faf:

Now that’s an Eton / Oxford / Sandhurst education for you! :rolleyes:

MyJo
30-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Dress like an old biddy with a zimmer frame and go to Asda on a saturday afternoon when everyone else is doing thier shopping then spend half an hour counting out the pennies onto the checkout to pay for your basket full of reduced bakery goods while telling the teenager with the stupid haircut behind the till about your terrible gout........noone will bat an eyelid :greengrin