PDA

View Full Version : Our Bottle Merchant Ways

Speedway
25-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Our collapses in big games have now trancended every manager of the last 20years and our current squad of players and the squad before that and the squad before that etc.

There are only two constants in all of these heartbreaks. One is the size of the club and the money available to buy/develop players of quality and winning mentality. The second is the supporter's bile, once confined to the terraces and pubs and now available in the digital age for anyone of any age or expereince or seniority within the club to read.

Such transparency should allow the club to know how the supporters feel and act accordingly shouldn't it? Well, apparently not.

Instead, it's more to do with self sabotage. So, no set of players we've had have been good enough to win the Scottish cup in any of our lifetimes and very rarely win anything else either.

Why is that?

Expecting Rain
25-03-2010, 10:03 AM
The Old Firm have more or less dominated the Scottish Cup up here, we don`t have to go into the reasons as to why that is, unfortunately counting this campaign we`ve had three reasonably good chances to do the business.
Dunfermline were bottom of the league when they knocked us out, even though we lost the leagues top scorer in Killen we should have had enough to make the final, Riordan gave us the lead with 30 minutes to go against the Arabs, Glass got injured the midfield was disrupted, Mowbray threw on a debutant in Sproule, with the benefit of hindsight we could see maybe why he did this, alas it didn`t work that day, ironically our only other real effort in the last 4 decades was with one of our worst teams, when we were denied a penalty in the last minute against Rangers, enough said. The Cup is a lottery and an obsession i don`t share with other Hibs supporters, the league will always be a priority from week to week.

Beefster
25-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Our collapses in big games have now trancended every manager of the last 20years and our current squad of players and the squad before that and the squad before that etc.

There are only two constants in all of these heartbreaks. One is the size of the club and the money available to buy/develop players of quality and winning mentality. The second is the supporter's bile, once confined to the terraces and pubs and now available in the digital age for anyone of any age or expereince or seniority within the club to read.

Such transparency should allow the club to know how the supporters feel and act accordingly shouldn't it? Well, apparently not.

Instead, it's more to do with self sabotage. So, no set of players we've had have been good enough to win the Scottish cup in any of our lifetimes and very rarely win anything else either.

Why is that?

A gypsy put a curse on us and no-one's though to urinate on all four corners of the pitch to get rid of it?

down the slope
25-03-2010, 10:27 AM
The Old Firm have more or less dominated the Scottish Cup up here, we don`t have to go into the reasons as to why that is, unfortunately counting this campaign we`ve had three reasonably good chances to do the business.
Dunfermline were bottom of the league when they knocked us out, even though we lost the leagues top scorer in Killen we should have had enough to make the final, Riordan gave us the lead with 30 minutes to go against the Arabs, Glass got injured the midfield was disrupted, Mowbray threw on a debutant in Sproule, with the benefit of hindsight we could see maybe why he did this, alas it didn`t work that day, ironically our only other real effort in the last 4 decades was with one of our worst teams, when we were denied a penalty in the last minute against Rangers, enough said. The Cup is a lottery and an obsession i don`t share with other Hibs supporters, the league will always be a priority from week to week.

I agree with all of this and i would add that the cup is not as important to me as a decent and consistent level of performance, this never happens in my view as we have nearly always chosen managers with the exception of Turnbull who are just not up to the mark. Just as a simple example of this have you ever seen a Hibs team take a decent throw in ?, the level of coaching at ER at times is abysmal and have a look at the players going through the warm up at half time, to a man they ignore Evans and do as little as possible. This looks like a complete lack of professionalism to me in the way the players go about their business and shows a lack of grip at the top.

Expecting Rain
25-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree with all of this and i would add that the cup is not as important to me as a decent and consistent level of performance, this never happens in my view as we have nearly always chosen managers with the exception of Turnbull who are just not up to the mark. Just as a simple example of this have you ever seen a Hibs team take a decent throw in ?, the level of coaching at ER at times is abysmal and have a look at the players going through the warm up at half time, to a man they ignore Evans and do as little as possible. This looks like a complete lack of professionalism to me in the way the players go about their business and shows a lack of grip at the top.

Must admit, sorry for getting away form the original subject but the warm up at times looks like a lot of nonsense, 6 or 7 players line up on the edge of the box waiting to take a shot led and orchestrated by a guy who couldn`t shoot to save of himself, i agree regarding the throw ins, it looks like only one or two players want to be the recipient of the ball.
I wonder howa .net board would have looked after Turnbull lost the Scottish Cup Final 1-6 to Celtic? still the memories of the way that team played over the years are still clear in my mind today and Eddie is still quoted now and then as saying he loves to watch the likes of Arsenal.

Kerrplunk
25-03-2010, 10:42 AM

This has been something that has bugged me for as long as i can remember,how any supposed professional outfit can be so completely wasteful and clueless when having a throw in is beyond me. I agree with the point regarding warm up aswell....just not good enough. Getting back to the op point of us being bottle merchants,while i agree with this to an extent,i also wonder if it is to do with fitness? How many times do Hibs make a decent start to a season and then just fade away? Too many for my liking!!

hibs0666
25-03-2010, 03:52 PM
A gypsy put a curse on us and no-one's though to urinate on all four corners of the pitch to get rid of it?

Can you do it with four different pishes cos stopping midflow three times while sprinting a hundred yards is an awfy ask.

Sas_The_Hibby
25-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I've been a supporter since 1963.

There's something about the culture of the club, IMHO. It's an intangible thing, I know, but we seem to be flaky at vital times. Even when the 70s team were at their best we tended to lose critical matches against the OF that we were more than capable of winning.

Just can't explain it really. :grr::confused:

hhibs
25-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I've been a supporter since 1963.

There's something about the culture of the club, IMHO. It's an intangible thing, I know, but we seem to be flaky at vital times. Even when the 70s team were at their best we tended to lose critical matches against the OF that we were more than capable of winning.

Just can't explain it really. :grr::confused:

Hmm!,you know you are dead right, we always seem(ed) to fall not so much at the final hurdle but the one before that one ,in the major competions
Over the years we should really have done better particularily in the 7o's but
never could grab the big opportunity.
Flaky,yep that is a good word for it.:top marks