PDA

View Full Version : Question Turnbull's Tornadoes

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 04:15 PM
The sad passing of Alan Gordon has made me think back to the days of Turnbull's Tornadoes who, amongst other things, released a record with "Hibernian - Give us a Goal!" on one side and "Turnbull's Tornadoes" on the other.

Hibernian - Give us a goal! was written by Tom Hart's wife Sheila and Turnbull's Tornadoes was written by a fan by the name of James McPherson who resided at that time in Saughton Mains.

Does anyone on here know James, or of him I wonder?

Ray_
24-02-2010, 04:30 PM
The sad passing of Alan Gordon has made me think back to the days of Turnbull's Tornadoes who, amongst other things, released a record with "Hibernian - Give us a Goal!" on one side and "Turnbull's Tornadoes" on the other.

Hibernian - Give us a goal! was written by Tom Hart's wife Sheila and Turnbull's Tornadoes was written by a fan by the name of James McPherson who resided at that time in Saughton Mains.

Does anyone on here know James, or of him I wonder?

Just to add a bit of trivia

I remember when it was released shortly before the 1972 cup final & the news reported that the sales in Edinburgh were outstripping all the other records on offer, with Slade latest release being its nearest rival.

Slade tended to go straight to number one during that period.

Ryan91
24-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone got a download link, google turns up with a torrent or two, but no seeders. Such a brilliant song, IIRC

1two
24-02-2010, 04:36 PM
United we stand here
divided we fall
we give our best football
when er're on the ball

our fans are the greatest
they cheer us each game

we're turnbulls tornadoes

Hibernians the name

Hibs hibs hibs for the cup,
our teams the greatest they never give up
hibs hibs the boys in the green
the best team at football the worlds ever seen
GOOOAAALL

not bad for a 24 year old who wasn't alive at the time:cool2:, dont remember the rest though!

1two
24-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Football, football thats the name of teh game
goals goals goals goals thats the hibees aim
opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope

Hibernian give us a goal

Glory to the hibees, theres never been a team like the hibees, so heres to the hibees, glory to the great hibees!

:cool2:

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 04:42 PM
United we stand here, divided we fall
We play for each for other, when we're on the ball,
Our fans are the greatest
They cheer us each game
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name

(Chorus)
Hibs, Hibs, Hibs for the cup
Our team's the greatest, they never give up
Hibs, Hibs, the boys in the green
The best brand of football the world's ever seen.

We're all for each other, each man plays for all,
We give our best football, to answer the call,
While we entertain you, to win is our aim,
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name.

(Chorus)

We're Turnbull's Tornadoes, yes that's who we are,
We play for the Hibees, we're known near and far.
Our fans are the greatest, they cheer us each game
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes. Hibernian's the name.

(Chorus)

therealgavmac
24-02-2010, 04:51 PM
United we stand here
divided we fall
we play for each other
when we're on the ball

our fans are the greatest
they cheer us each game

we're turnbulls tornadoes

Hibernians the name

Hibs hibs hibs for the cup,
our teams the greatest they never give up
hibs hibs the boys in the green
the best brand of football the worlds ever seen
GOOOAAALL

not bad for a 24 year old who wasn't alive at the time:cool2:, dont remember the rest though!

Slight correction for you :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I may have an MP3 of it at home.

£1 a shout? :devil:

CropleyWasGod
24-02-2010, 05:12 PM
The name John Keating rings a bell. Think he was the producer.

Is this him?

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/profiles/John_Keating.htm

1two
24-02-2010, 05:14 PM
United we stand here, divided we fall
We play for each for other, when we're on the ball,
Our fans are the greatest
They cheer us each game
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name

(Chorus)

We're all for each other, each man plays for all,
We give our best football, to answer the call,
While we entertain you, to win is our aim,
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes - Hibernian's the name.

(Chorus)

We're Turnbull's Tornadoes, yes that's who we are,
We play for the Hibees, we're known near and far.
Our fans are the greatest, they cheer us each game
We're Turnbull's Tornadoes. Hibernian's the name.

(Chorus)

You googled that ya cheat!:wink:

Gatecrasher
24-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Football, football thats the name of teh game
goals goals goals goals thats the hibees aim
opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope

Hibernian give us a goal

Glory to the hibees, theres never been a team like the hibees, so heres to the hibees, glory to the great hibees!

:cool2:

i remember my first trip to inverness when the fans were belting that out :thumbsup:

blindsummit
24-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I still have a copy of this single in excellent condition, but I would never part with it!

Jonnyboy
24-02-2010, 10:58 PM
You googled that ya cheat!:wink:

How very dare you :greengrin

I copied and pasted it from Fats and Baldies Hibs site :wink:

.Sean.
24-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm watching the Turnbulls Tornadoes DVD the now. Great watch :agree:

hibbie02
24-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I still have a copy of this single in excellent condition, but I would never part with it!

Likewise!!! :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Got the 3 of them,

Glory Glory--Hector Nicol

Turnbulls Tornados--Team

Hibee Hibernian--Which I hate as it was written and sung by a yam

God Petrie
25-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I have Turnbull's Tornadoes, Give us a Goal and Hibs Heroes on mp3.

Can upload them somewhere when I get home if anyone wants them.

RIP
25-02-2010, 02:15 PM
C'mon lads dinnae be mean. All available on a CD in the Hibs shop for a ten spot

heretoday
25-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Oh god! Not that again! Back to rehab.....

_hucks_
25-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone got a download link, google turns up with a torrent or two, but no seeders. Such a brilliant song, IIRC
They're up in the PM section, which costs a tenner for the years access to those downloads, the pm board and other such delights! (apologies if you're already a pm and I'm badgering you into joining!)

snooky
25-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Is this him?

Can't remember who it was - it may have been Keating. It was certainly someone fairly well known and respected nationally as a producer at the time.
IIRC, he 'wrote' the tune to the competition winners lyrics. (The tune is absolutely nothing like that of the old traditional folk song "Stewball" :bandit:)

ginger_rice
25-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Likewise!!! :greengrin

Me too bought it in the Hibs shop when it was the wee shop opposite the Nip :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
25-02-2010, 10:58 PM

Is this him?

It was indeed produced by John Keating :agree:

brog
26-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Pleased to say Johnny Keating was at recent London Hibs Burns Night when Turnbulls Tornadoes et al were given big licks all through the night.

bigjimbo118
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
hi there i noticed that you were asking if anybody knew james macpherson who wrote tunbulls tornadoes just to let you know that he was my dad he wrote the song as part of a competition and as a result it was put on the b side although it was meant to go on the a side. I was very surprised when i noticed someone enquiring after my dad so im thrilled to be able to reply to you if you have any other questions just give me a shout regards James.

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
hi there i noticed that you were asking if anybody knew james macpherson who wrote tunbulls tornadoes just to let you know that he was my dad he wrote the song as part of a competition and as a result it was put on the b side although it was meant to go on the a side. I was very surprised when i noticed someone enquiring after my dad so im thrilled to be able to reply to you if you have any other questions just give me a shout regards James.

James, thanks for your info mate :thumbsup:

You must be very proud that your Dad wrote a song still sung by Hibs fans some thirty years later :notworthy:

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM

I think that's a very catchy song.

Something to be proud of writing that.:top marks

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
With technology having progressed as much as it has, when apparently you can make a record, sorry disc in your own bedroom now. I find it strange nobody has. We need a new song, a catchy one, its been a while since hibs heroes.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
With technology having progressed as much as it has, when apparently you can make a record, sorry disc in your own bedroom now. I find it strange nobody has. We need a new song, a catchy one, its been a while since hibs heroes.

Hibs Heroes was class, but that was early 90s i think and we could do with something a bit newer now.

The Harp
12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Pleased to say Johnny Keating was at recent London Hibs Burns Night when Turnbulls Tornadoes et al were given big licks all through the night.

Johnny Keating was an old St Anthony's (Lochend Road) boy. Can remember one teacher in particular mentioning him as an example of what could be achieved if we worked hard.
Johnny, with his orchestra, was in the charts in the early 60's with the Z Cars theme. Yet another name on the Hibs 'celeb' fans list. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Johnny Keating was an old St Anthony's (Lochend Road) boy. Can remember one teacher in particular mentioning him as an example of what could be achieved if we worked hard.
Johnny, with his orchestra, was in the charts in the early 60's with the Z Cars theme. Yet another name on the Hibs 'celeb' fans list. :thumbsup:

Played before every game as the teams come out at Goodison I believe :agree:

Jamesie
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM

There is a happy link to John Keating and the Hands off Hibs campaign.

You may recall that for many years I was looking for the two tracks which featured in the "Team that wouldn't Die" video - "We'll always be there by your side" and "We will always follow you".

About four months ago I was watching the video again on youtube and noticed that the words were by a John Keating and the songs were performed by the "Keating Brothers", with a particular reference to Martin Keating.

A quick search on facebook led me to Martin Keating, John's son. We had a few chats and some eighteen years after the video was released I became the proud owner of a copy of each of the tracks!

Martin is a good lad, he lives in London (where his dad is also based these days) and supports both the Hibees and West Ham. He's the owner of the London School of Music. Next time he's up in Edinburgh we're planning to have a couple of pints. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
There is a happy link to John Keating and the Hands off Hibs campaign.

You may recall that for many years I was looking for the two tracks which featured in the "Team that wouldn't Die" video - "We'll always be there by your side" and "We will always follow you".

About four months ago I was watching the video again on youtube and noticed that the words were by a John Keating and the songs were performed by the "Keating Brothers", with a particular reference to Martin Keating.

A quick search on facebook led me to Martin Keating, John's son. We had a few chats and some eighteen years after the video was released I became the proud owner of a copy of each of the tracks!

Martin is a good lad, he lives in London (where his dad is also based these days) and supports both the Hibees and West Ham. He's the owner of the London School of Music. Next time he's up in Edinburgh we're planning to have a couple of pints. :thumbsup:

Great story James :notworthy:

Maybe the Keatings could pen something new for us all to sing at ER?

bigjimbo118
17-04-2010, 07:09 PM
yeah im very proud of my dad for writing that song sadly he passed away in jan 06 but as you say people are still singing his song after all this time and hopefullly they will for years to come

bigjimbo118
17-04-2010, 07:11 PM
yeah im very proud of my dad for writing that song sadly he passed away in jan 06 but as you say people are still singing his song after all this time and hopefullly they will for years to come
sorry jan 96 hit the wron button there

Hibercelona
17-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Would be great for a new single to come out.

But unfortunately, theres not much to sing about at the moment.