PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell's pitch to be investigated again

jakedance
20-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Motherwell's pitch was a disgrace today. They've got a nerve asking £22 to watch a game of "football" on that. I'm not saying a better pitch would have changed the result but maybe we would have seen some passing and dribbling. The area next to the dugouts was completely unplayable.

It just shows the contempt the authorities have for paying supporters that Motherwell can get away with a pitch like that every year.

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 06:13 PM
It isn't every year. Officially this is the first year we're getting away with the pitch. The last two years was lack of protection.

But yeah, it's a disgrace - could cost us 4th or even 3rd, like it almost did in McGhee's first season (and cost us top six last season)...

Marabou Stork
20-02-2010, 06:18 PM
They really need to be fined or forced to relay the pitch. That was horrific.

I've been complaining about the state of our pitch in the last few weeks, but the state of the pitch today was one of the wort I've ever seen.

HibeeDaz6270
20-02-2010, 06:19 PM
It isn't every year. Officially this is the first year we're getting away with the pitch. The last two years was lack of protection.

But yeah, it's a disgrace - could cost us 4th or even 3rd, like it almost did in McGhee's first season (and cost us top six last season)...

I dont think it will cost you's anything to be honest, if anything it will benefit you's, as the opposition will find it difficult to adapt where as yous are playing on it every 2nd week.

Hibercelona
20-02-2010, 06:28 PM

How did you come to that conclusion? :confused:

Motherwell are playing on their own ground far more often than each of the opposition, so they are able to adjust. :confused:

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Only against Hibs tbh. The rest we play better football than. When teams with big guys come to town it's going to get harder for us (for example next week when we play Killie). Apart from Sutton we don't have many players that can win balls in the air all day.

People moan about our pitch, but a lot less people slip on our pitch than they have at Ibrox (v Hibs) and New Douglas Park (v Motherwell) that I have seen recently

Makes it harder for us to use our wingers...

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 06:33 PM
How did you come to that conclusion? :confused:

Motherwell are playing on their own ground far more often than each of the opposition, so they are able to adjust. :confused:

Really?

You think that pitch is the same every two weeks. That's just like saying clubs that have more grass than us (like Hibs and United) have an advantage because they play on grass every week except against us :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
20-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Really?

You think that pitch is the same every two weeks. That's just like saying clubs that have more grass than us (like Hibs and United) have an advantage because they play on grass every week except against us :rolleyes:

Indeed I do. :agree:

2 weeks later it'll still be a tattie field.

As for the rest of your post, what a load of nonsense.

Incase you haven't realized, football is supposed to be played on grass. :rolleyes:

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Indeed I do. :agree:

2 weeks later it'll still be a tattie field.

As for the rest of your post, what a load of nonsense.

Incase you haven't realized, football is supposed to be played on grass. :rolleyes:

So you don't think it is worse now than it was 2 hours ago? Really? Really? O'Brien has been very public about it's a different pitch every week.

Actually that's not true. Please tell me where FIFA mention that every game of football should be played on Grass.

MSK
20-02-2010, 07:34 PM
So you don't think it is worse now than it was 2 hours ago? Really? Really? O'Brien has been very public about it's a different pitch every week.

Actually that's not true. Please tell me where FIFA mention that every game of football should be played on Grass.Are you on the grass mate ?...your pitch is a disgrace ..has been for years ..if it was up to me i would ban you from playing home games until you got it sorted !!!

blackhibee
20-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Actually that's not true. Please tell me where FIFA mention that every game of football should be played on Grass.

I suppose you'd be better off asking Hamilton Accies,who had to lay a completely new grass pitch instead of the astroturf that was totally acceptable. Except for bureaucrats that is.

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Are you on the grass mate ?...your pitch is a disgrace ..has been for years ..if it was up to me i would ban you from playing home games until you got it sorted !!!

No, I already admitted it was a disgrace - see first post by me in this thread, but it is bollocks to say we'll have an advantage playing on it due to us playing on it every other week.

The 'Well players turn up not knowing what Fir Park is going to play like.

Also why should we be banned? No one has been injured due to the park (how is McBride, who was injured because he slipped on grass?), in fact I have witnessed more people get injured/slip in the last few games on better parks than ours (Ibrox and New Douglas Park).

Davy Mac
20-02-2010, 07:40 PM
It's the same for both teams IMO.

Don't think Well are capable of playing free flowing fitba anyway but for me it's all down to the attitude of our players and there we go another defeat.

Jeez, Hibs just dinnae ken when to battle and fight like xxxx when they need to.

That's one thing that must disappoint Yogi the most.

MSK
20-02-2010, 07:44 PM
No, I already admitted it was a disgrace - see first post by me in this thread, but it is bollocks to say we'll have an advantage playing on it due to us playing on it every other week.

The 'Well players turn up not knowing what Fir Park is going to play like.

Also why should we be banned? No one has been injured due to the park (how is McBride, who was injured because he slipped on grass?), in fact I have witnessed more people get injured/slip in the last few games on better parks than ours (Ibrox and New Douglas Park).Correct ..you dont have an advantage...its also a shame you lot have to play on that mud bath too ..

However yer pitch is still a disgrace ..why no just rip it up & fill it wi mud & sand ...oh wait !!!

Alfred E Newman
20-02-2010, 07:47 PM
It's the same for both teams IMO.

Don't think Well are capable of playing free flowing fitba anyway but for me it's all down to the attitude of our players and there we go another defeat.

Jeez, Hibs just dinnae ken when to battle and fight like xxxx when they need to.

That's one thing that must disappoint Yogi the most.

Exactly. The football on display today was diabolical from both teams. To charge £22 to watch a game on that surface is daylight robbery. Its like charging £45 to go and watch The Sound Of Music at Eddleston Village Hall.

Wellfan1984
20-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Correct ..you dont have an advantage...its also a shame you lot have to play on that mud bath too ..

However yer pitch is still a disgrace ..why no just rip it up & fill it wi mud & sand ...oh wait !!!

As you may know we totally re-done the undersoil heating system and drainage in the summer coming in at a very substantial amount - well for a club of a turnover of ours (more than £500K).

What we did was create a new pitch from seed, rather than ready made turf. The down part of this, we advised those that required to be advised (The SPL) that after winter our pitch will be rather worse for wear. Of course it shouldn't be this bad but that is because of our idiotic groundsman leaving covers on and the undersoil heating on for almost three weeks straight...

So heavy snow + no sunlight + god knows what else = the pitch we have today :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
20-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Fir Park in general is just an absolute cesspit. IMO it's the most horrible ground in the SPL.

As for their pitch in particular, it is disgraceful. Quite often when a match is called off, the referee will say that it was down to the fact that the pitch was "unplayable". I would say that large sections of that pitch today were "unplayable" (particularly the area right next to the dugouts) and as far as I'm aware it's been that way for quite some time.

Fir Park should be closed until the club can get the pitch in working order and until that time comes, Motherwell should play their home games at Airdrie.

By the way, I am NOT blaming the state of the pitch for our defeat. We could have been playing on a bowling green type surface this afternoon and we would have still been as bad as we were but that is not an acceptable state for an SPL pitch to be in.

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 08:09 PM
As you may know we totally re-done the undersoil heating system and drainage in the summer coming in at a very substantial amount - well for a club of a turnover of ours (more than £500K).

What we did was create a new pitch from seed, rather than ready made turf. The down part of this, we advised those that required to be advised (The SPL) that after winter our pitch will be rather worse for wear. Of course it shouldn't be this bad but that is because of our idiotic groundsman leaving covers on and the undersoil heating on for almost three weeks straight...

So heavy snow + no sunlight + god knows what else = the pitch we have today :boo hoo:

I admire you for defending your corner BUT name me a ground that hasn't suffered the same problems and yet doesn't resemble a tattie field like Fir Park? It amazes me that no-one was seriously injured out there today

MSK
20-02-2010, 08:10 PM

So heavy snow + no sunlight + god knows what else = the pitch we have today :boo hoo:Hey ..i feel for ye man ..the place needs levelled..flattened ...terrace (enclosure) to stand its wonky ..how about you share wi Airdrie ..they are skint & could do wi the extra income ..it makes sense ..

bubblesmorrison
20-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Really?

this could be the stupidest comment i have ever read on this bored EVER how sorry we are for wanting to play football on GRASS. rod get it sorted monday morning get some of the boys out planting tatties on our pitch :grr:

greenlex
20-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I ma currently watching it on Alba. There really is a case for not playing on that pitch. The area in front of the dug outs is a disgrace and apart from not allowing decent football is downright dangerous. The passage of play when the Well player stopped the throw and jarred his leg on a huge rut followed by a tumble into the brick wall surrounding the pitch could have seriously hurt him. He really could have broken his neck. I would make them sort it or pay elsewhere.

Darth Hibbie
20-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Are you on the grass mate ?...your pitch is a disgrace ..has been for years ..if it was up to me i would ban you from playing home games until you got it sorted !!!

I admire you for defending your corner BUT name me a ground that hasn't suffered the same problems and yet doesn't resemble a tattie field like Fir Park? It amazes me that no-one was seriously injured out there today

Just said much the same on another thread. The pitch was awful and I think that was part of yogi's thinking of not starting Zemamma. We looked so much better when he came on and on a decent park him and Wotherspoon would have tore Motherwell apart.

Removed
20-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I ma currently watching it on Alba. There really is a case for not playing on that pitch. The area in front of the dug outs is a disgrace and apart from not allowing decent football is downright dangerous. The passage of play when the Well player stopped the throw and jarred his leg on a huge rut followed by a tumble into the brick wall surrounding the pitch could have seriously hurt him. He really could have broken his neck. I would make them sort it or pay elsewhere.

:agree:

Sharp intakes of breath when we saw that today. I couldn't believe the guy got up and back on the park so quickly. Hardly even a mention on the radio as all they were interested in was the Huns game getting called off.

I thought the SPL had minimum stadium standards. Surely the playing surface should be up at the top of that list. We weren't allowed in the lower section in case we slipped on the steps but the players were allowed to risk their careers on that disgrace of a pitch. Crazy.

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 09:36 PM
There's a certain irony in the Huns game being cancelled because around one quarter of the pitch was deemed unplayable and a possible risk to player safety.

IMO Fir Park is seven eighths unplayable and a definite risk to player safety

iwasthere1972
20-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Watching the game on Alba and must say I can't remember seeing a pitch in such bad condition as Fir Park for a long time. Do they do it on purpose to stop passing teams from playing to their strengths?

Thought they had a new pitch laid not so long ago. What happened to it?

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Why have they just relayed those bits of the goal areas, when the whole pitch needs it?

Removed
20-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Thought they had a new pitch laid not so long ago. What happened to it?

See post #16

Nakedmanoncrack
20-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Not going to use the state of the pitch as an excuse for the defeat, but it is about time Motherwell were forced to provide a surface that at least meets minimum standards. That they have consistently failed to do so is a disgrace and they should face an appropriate penalty.

Jonnyboy
Why have they just relayed those bits of the goal areas, when the whole pitch needs it?

Good question Gary :agree:

Ironically, Stacky was digging lumps out of the six yard box when setting himself up to take goal kicks :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
Not going to use the state of the pitch as an excuse for the defeat, but it is about time Motherwell were forced to provide a surface that at least meets minimum standards. That they have consistently failed to do so is a disgrace and they should face an appropriate penalty.

:top marks :agree:

iwasthere1972
20-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Good question Gary :agree:

Ironically, Stacky was digging lumps out of the six yard box when setting himself up to take goal kicks :greengrin

As a regular watcher of Emmerdale I can safely say that I have seen their coos and sheep grazing on better than what was available at Fir Park.

Disgrace. :grr:

Carheenlea
20-02-2010, 09:56 PM
There's a certain irony in the Huns game being cancelled because around one quarter of the pitch was deemed unplayable and a possible risk to player safety.

IMO Fir Park is seven eighths unplayable and a definite risk to player safety

Who was the Motherwell player who clattered into the advertising boards to the left of the Well dug outs?

He was very fortunate to avoid a bad injury after simply losing his footing on the rutted surface then hitting the advertising boards at pace.

Not sour grapes, but that pitch should never have been passed fit for football
today. I can certainly sympathise with the Hearts supporters who had to watch their team play a semi final on that.

Removed
20-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I can certainly sympathise with the Hearts supporters who had to watch their team play a semi final on that.

Do you............really?

Carheenlea
20-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Do you............really?

To be perfectly honest, Nah, not really....

Removed
20-02-2010, 10:06 PM
To be perfectly honest, Nah, not really....

:greengrin

Frank Moon
20-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I was in the centre stand today near the front and it was shocking.

Another thing I hadn't realised was just how much of a slope there is from the opposite stand to the dugouts. Its as bad as the council pitches at Inverleith Park for those that have played there.

Unbelievable for a top flight team and thats why so much play took place in front of the dugouts. A complete joke of a pitch

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2010, 10:42 PM
The Motherwell lad who got man of the match said that he thought that the pitch gave Motherwell an advantage. I suppose he should know.

It was obvious before Miller got sent off that Motherwell were dealing with the pitch better than Hibs.

For what its worth I think that Millers challenge was a daft one, but never a sending off. Hell the Motherwell player was quick enough back onto his feet to get steaming in. If Miller was a red then so was he.

FWIW I think Hibs did pretty well for a team playing for 60 minutes with 10 men and showed a lot more spirit than at St Johnstone.

For all that we have had a crap last 7 days we are still in front of Dundee Utd, so there is still something to go for, starting next Saturday.

C'mon the Hibees

:flag:

essexhibee
21-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The pitch is shocking, its disgusting from the SFA that they expect scottish premier league teams on that. I agree with others about Fir Park, have only been there once but jeez its a s*it hole. Whats that massive cigarettes thing on the side of one of the stands, how classy is that - NOT.

On another note, with scotlands woeful weather, maybe in the future it could be an idea to invest in 3G pitches? Could be a good alternative than playing on Porty beach :greengrin

woodythehibee
21-02-2010, 04:06 PM
out of interest, why were we only allowed in the top tier yesterday?

Removed
21-02-2010, 04:10 PM

I was told by a steward it was because the steps were slippy in the lower tier

Bayern Bru
21-02-2010, 04:11 PM

Apparently the steps were too icy, was what we were told.
Anyone told anything different? Looked fine to me...

.Sean.
21-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Surface is a disgrace. I can honestly say the local rugger pitch is in better nick, and that's a public field which is used almost every day.

Shocking state, they must get it up to standard ASAP.

iwasthere1972
21-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Apparently the steps were too icy, was what we were told.
Anyone told anything different? Looked fine to me...

I was told (from a reliable source I may add) that because there has been no grass on the pitch for yonks the coos and sheep have had to stay indoors and be fed hay. Obviously they couldn't climb up to the 2nd tier and were therefore only allocated the ground tier. :agree:

Antifa Hibs
21-02-2010, 08:58 PM
While on the subject of Fir Park, how bad where the stewards yesterday? Only in Scotland will stewards force 100 people to sit despite the ground being a quarter full on *** 'safety' reasons, polis and stewards bring trouble on themselves, useless c***s.

Jonnyboy
21-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I was told by a steward it was because the steps were slippy in the lower tier

So the pitch was unplayable and their stand was, in part, unsafe! Wonder what they would have done if the travelling support was to big for the upper tier :confused:

basehibby
21-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Having watched the highlights I can safely say that the Fir Park pitch is only fit for swamp soccer. There's an obvious advantage for the home side in that they will be accustomed to overhitting their throughballs safe in the knowledge that the ball will merely stick to the ground rather than skidding into touch.

Bishop Hibee
21-02-2010, 09:21 PM
First away game of the season yesterday and quite probably my last.

£22 to watch two teams struggle to control a ball which either stopped dead or reared up to meet you because of the pitch. If that was a public park in Edinburgh, amateurs would refuse to play on it.

The officiating was laughable and with even Hugh Dallas admitting that officials "have not had a good season" then why the hell is it not being sorted. Give the clown that reffed yesterday next weeks OF game and see how they like it.

The stewarding was a joke. Herded into the top tier and then what seemed like harassment of the only fans in the ground trying to stoke up any atmosphere.

Didn't help that my Uncle who was with us had been regaling us with stories on the way there of a 3-7 victory to Hibs he'd been at when Riley scored after beating 5 men! I somehow thought the game was unlikely to reach that level :greengrin

Seriously though, if this is the 21st century "product" we "customers" are supposed to accept then football in Scotland really has reached a new low.

Removed
21-02-2010, 09:32 PM
First away game of the season yesterday and quite probably my last.

£22 to watch two teams struggle to control a ball which either stopped dead or reared up to meet you because of the pitch. If that was a public park in Edinburgh, amateurs would refuse to play on it.

The officiating was laughable and with even Hugh Dallas admitting that officials "have not had a good season" then why the hell is it not being sorted. Give the clown that reffed yesterday next weeks OF game and see how they like it.

The stewarding was a joke. Herded into the top tier and then what seemed like harassment of the only fans in the ground trying to stoke up any atmosphere.

Didn't help that my Uncle who was with us had been regaling us with stories on the way there of a 3-7 victory to Hibs he'd been at when Riley scored after beating 5 men! I somehow thought the game was unlikely to reach that level :greengrin

Seriously though, if this is the 21st century "product" we "customers" are supposed to accept then football in Scotland really has reached a new low.

Interesting choice for your first away game, but I'm sure everyone on here will agree with all your points, I know I do. As the paying customer we are treated like crap.

Bristolhibby
21-02-2010, 09:54 PM
While on the subject of Fir Park, how bad where the stewards yesterday? Only in Scotland will stewards force 100 people to sit despite the ground being a quarter full on *** 'safety' reasons, polis and stewards bring trouble on themselves, useless c***s.

Is that mega fat steward still working the away end? Last time I went through to Motherwell was 2004 near the start of the season. This guy was BIG.

J

Jonnyboy
21-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Is that mega fat steward still working the away end? Last time I went through to Motherwell was 2004 near the start of the season. This guy was BIG.

J

Still there and partly responsible for the state of the pitch as he blocks the sun from reaching the grass :wink:

Sir David Gray
22-02-2010, 12:48 PM

It's interesting that people were forced to sit down for "safety reasons" on Saturday. I don't know if anyone is aware of where the wheelchair section is at Fir Park (it's to the left of where the 'away' stand is and next to the main stand). There are no seating provisions at all for the helpers of fans in wheelchairs and they must stand for the entire time that they are in Fir Park.

Surely if the fans in the 'normal' areas of Fir Park have to sit down for "safety reasons", fans in the wheelchair section should be covered by the same regulations.

Just to reiterate my comments on this thread from a couple of days ago, Fir Park is an absolute dump of a place and, in my opinion, is not fit for purpose.

If it was up to me, the place would be demolished and started again.

greenlex
22-02-2010, 12:53 PM
It's interesting that people were forced to sit down for "safety reasons" on Saturday. I don't know if anyone is aware of where the wheelchair section is at Fir Park (it's to the left of where the 'away' stand is and next to the main stand). There are no seating provisions at all for the helpers of fans in wheelchairs and they must stand for the entire time that they are in Fir Park.

Surely if the fans in the 'normal' areas of Fir Park have to sit down for "safety reasons", fans in the wheelchair section should be covered by the same regulations.

Just to reiterate my comments on this thread from a couple of days ago, Fir Park is an absolute dump of a place and, in my opinion, is not fit for purpose.

If it was up to me, the place would be demolished and started again.
The disabled area is a disgrace Falkirk. ANy more than half a dozen wheelchairs and the rest are out in the open enduring all the elements thrown at them. Disgraceful.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
The pitch is shocking, its disgusting from the SFA that they expect scottish premier league teams on that. I agree with others about Fir Park, have only been there once but jeez its a s*it hole. Whats that massive cigarettes thing on the side of one of the stands, how classy is that - NOT.

On another note, with scotlands woeful weather, maybe in the future it could be an idea to invest in 3G pitches? Could be a good alternative than playing on Porty beach :greengrin

Been tried with Dunfermline already. Games were still called off with it because it flooded and froze IIRC.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2010, 11:20 PM
The disabled area is a disgrace Falkirk. ANy more than half a dozen wheelchairs and the rest are out in the open enduring all the elements thrown at them. Disgraceful.

:agree: I've tried writing to complain about them and Dundee Utd (St Johnstone are next on my list after I found out that they still put away fans, who are wheelchair users, into the home section of McDiarmid Park, which I find shocking and, as far as I'm concerned, is against SPL segregation rules). The SPL isn't interested in the slightest and the clubs concerned are just paying lip service to the problems that I have highlighted. When push comes to shove, they really couldn't care less either.

The situation at Fir Park is just out of order. As you've already highlighted, if there's any more than about five or six people in wheelchairs then the rest have to sit out in the open, completely exposed to the elements. If you do manage to get a space in the dugout type shelter, you struggle to see the far side of the pitch. As I have already mentioned, there is no seating provided for the helpers, so they have to stand for the entire game.

Also up until recently, Motherwell only allowed six away fans in wheelchairs to attend, but for our trip there on Saturday, although I phoned up Hibs last week to put my name on the list for attending the match (as I always do for away games), when I turned up at Fir Park on Saturday and went to their ticket office to pick up my ticket to then produce at the gate as I had always done in the past, I was told to just give my name to the guys at the gate. When I got to the gate, I was asked if I was a home or away fan, I said I was an away fan and they then said that they didn't have names of away fans and I was just told to go in. So, in effect, there could have been x amount of disabled Hibs fans there on Saturday.

The problem is that a lot of disabled people just seem to accept things like this and put up with them and don't voice their feelings to anyone.

If we were talking about 2nd or 3rd division clubs having these sort of set ups then it would be more understandable but it really isn't acceptable in the 21st century for some of the top football clubs in Scotland to have disabled "facilities" like this, as you say it's absolutely disgraceful and even more so that they are being allowed to get away with it.

Newhaven
23-02-2010, 06:56 AM
And not a minute too soon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/motherwell/7295067/Motherwell-face-fine-over-state-of-Fir-Park-pitch.html

No problem getting beat on a fair park but to call that sand infested playing surface a pitch fit for playing professional football is surely a breach of the trades description act.

They shouldn't stop at a fine either, Im sure they will correct things if points were deducted :bye:

PC Stamp
23-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Sand on top of mud infested surface!!! WTF was their game with flooding it before the game? It basically turned it into a marsh!
I'm not talking sprinklers. I'm talking a full blooded hosing!

Then they come out and start lobbing sand & seed on top of it!

Quote from an unnamed SPL player - "How no-one has had a serious injury there yet is unbelievable!"

proud_and_green
23-02-2010, 12:18 PM
The Motherwell player who crashed into the hoarding at the side of the pitch did so entirely because of the pitch. It is absolutely shocking and i really don't think they should be allowed to use it. It seemed at times like the players were playing on gullane beach especially round the tunnel.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2010, 01:16 PM
As I've mentioned already on another thread, they shouldn't stop at the pitch, the whole stadium should be investigated.

It's a good start though.

--------
23-02-2010, 01:25 PM
As I've mentioned already on another thread, they shouldn't stop at the pitch, the whole stadium should be investigated.

It's a good start though.

Absolutely right. Fir Park's a complete disgrace. I can't think of a worse top-league ground anywhere.

I know the ER pitch isn't good right now, and hasn't been for a while. But I would hope that when the work on the new East Stand's completed, the board will take steps to sort things out and provide a decent playing surface - one that remains decent throughout the season.

But Fir Park's a joke. A Main Stand that stops three-quarters of the way up the pitch with a whole section of seating from which you can't see one of the goals; two other stands that are basically rabbit-hutches, and an away stand where the top tier has the same rake as the lower tier, which means you can't see what's going on on the pitch half the time.

But they could very easily qualify for the Europa ahead of us and the Arabs who HAVE sorted out our stadiums.

Westie1875
23-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Sand on top of mud infested surface!!! WTF was their game with flooding it before the game? It basically turned it into a marsh!
I'm not talking sprinklers. I'm talking a full blooded hosing!

Then they come out and start lobbing sand & seed on top of it!

Quote from an unnamed SPL player - "How no-one has had a serious injury there yet is unbelievable!"

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I watched the highlights last night, a marsh is a very accurate description and the player who went crashing into the barriers after getting his foot stuck in the bog is very lucky not to have a serious injury.

Presumably it was one of our players who said this, I think it is a very tame reaction to that pitch - if I was being asked to play on it I think I'd be saying something much worse. :wink:

Sir David Gray
23-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Absolutely right. Fir Park's a complete disgrace. I can't think of a worse top-league ground anywhere.

I know the ER pitch isn't good right now, and hasn't been for a while. But I would hope that when the work on the new East Stand's completed, the board will take steps to sort things out and provide a decent playing surface - one that remains decent throughout the season.

But Fir Park's a joke. A Main Stand that stops three-quarters of the way up the pitch with a whole section of seating from which you can't see one of the goals; two other stands that are basically rabbit-hutches, and an away stand where the top tier has the same rake as the lower tier, which means you can't see what's going on on the pitch half the time.

But they could very easily qualify for the Europa ahead of us and the Arabs who HAVE sorted out our stadiums.

The other quarter is where they put their fans in wheelchairs. :bitchy:

No seating at all for the helpers and only space in a tiny dugout shelter for a few chairs, if any more than that turns up, the overspill has to sit out in the open and if it rains/snows etc then you are completely exposed for 90 minutes.

The whole place is an absolute dump.

I disagree with part of your point in your last line though with regards to Tannadice. From my own perspective at least, that is every bit as bad as Fir Park.

john18722
23-02-2010, 02:19 PM
It is an absolute disgrace. The pitctures shown on the BBC Highlights of the game on Saturday make it look like a pigs field or something similar. How they can get permission to play on that and a game is called off on a frozen pitch I do not know??:confused:

--------
23-02-2010, 02:24 PM
The other quarter is where they put their fans in wheelchairs. :bitchy:

No seating at all for the helpers and only space in a tiny dugout shelter for a few chairs, if any more than that turns up, the overspill has to sit out in the open and if it rains/snows etc then you are completely exposed for 90 minutes.

The whole place is an absolute dump.

I disagree with part of your point in your last line though with regards to Tannadice. From my own perspective at least, that is every bit as bad as Fir Park.

On second thoughts, you're absolutely right. Can't think what I was thinking posting that. Getting auld. :wink:

Just a matter of interest - how long ago was it that the three single-tier monstrosities at the bus shelter went up? They must be 25 years old at least by now, surely?

jws1875
23-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Not seen this posted anywhere else but breifly read on ssn today that an inspector is to inspect if the pitch is going to be playable for the rest of the season :confused::confused:

--------
23-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Not seen this posted anywhere else but breifly read on ssn today that an inspector is to inspect if the pitch is going to be playable for the rest of the season :confused::confused:

Close the so-an-so's down, please, and award us all the points.

The pitch is a disgrace, the stands are each and every one disgraces, and it's time someone at the SPL/SFA socked it to them.

:grr:

EH6 Hibby
23-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I think everyone else should be made to play them on it or it's unfair for the teams that have already played there. :grr:

James.
23-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I take the Old Firm are coming to town soon.

CMac1988
23-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I take the Old Firm are coming to town soon.

Seems not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/fixtures/default.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/fixtures/default.stm)

PaulSmith
24-02-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s71_3

SPL CEO advising that they are 'allowing' this weeks game with Killie to go ahead and will then review.

Considering the snow I doubt it will improve, 'Well to move to Airdrie for rest of the season?

greenlex
24-02-2010, 05:41 PM
:agree: I've tried writing to complain about them and Dundee Utd (St Johnstone are next on my list after I found out that they still put away fans, who are wheelchair users, into the home section of McDiarmid Park, which I find shocking and, as far as I'm concerned, is against SPL segregation rules). The SPL isn't interested in the slightest and the clubs concerned are just paying lip service to the problems that I have highlighted. When push comes to shove, they really couldn't care less either.

The situation at Fir Park is just out of order. As you've already highlighted, if there's any more than about five or six people in wheelchairs then the rest have to sit out in the open, completely exposed to the elements. If you do manage to get a space in the dugout type shelter, you struggle to see the far side of the pitch. As I have already mentioned, there is no seating provided for the helpers, so they have to stand for the entire game.

Also up until recently, Motherwell only allowed six away fans in wheelchairs to attend, but for our trip there on Saturday, although I phoned up Hibs last week to put my name on the list for attending the match (as I always do for away games), when I turned up at Fir Park on Saturday and went to their ticket office to pick up my ticket to then produce at the gate as I had always done in the past, I was told to just give my name to the guys at the gate. When I got to the gate, I was asked if I was a home or away fan, I said I was an away fan and they then said that they didn't have names of away fans and I was just told to go in. So, in effect, there could have been x amount of disabled Hibs fans there on Saturday.

The problem is that a lot of disabled people just seem to accept things like this and put up with them and don't voice their feelings to anyone.

If we were talking about 2nd or 3rd division clubs having these sort of set ups then it would be more understandable but it really isn't acceptable in the 21st century for some of the top football clubs in Scotland to have disabled "facilities" like this, as you say it's absolutely disgraceful and even more so that they are being allowed to get away with it.
Not being funny here Falkirk but have you tried contacting one of those tea time shows to see if they could take up the fight and maybe do a piece on it and try to get something done. I am thinking "The Hour" or "The One Show" or something. They must need something to fill their schedules as some of the pap they do cover is cringeworthy. You never know could be the start of TV stardom.

jgl07
24-02-2010, 06:29 PM
According to the Herald Diary this morning a Hibs fan went to the bookies office at Fir Park on Saturday and asked what the odds were on the camel racing!

If it was you, come clean!

Sir David Gray
24-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Not being funny here Falkirk but have you tried contacting one of those tea time shows to see if they could take up the fight and maybe do a piece on it and try to get something done. I am thinking "The Hour" or "The One Show" or something. They must need something to fill their schedules as some of the pap they do cover is cringeworthy. You never know could be the start of TV stardom.

I've tried something along those lines already by writing to Jim Traynor at the Daily Record as I thought this kind of thing might appeal to the likes of the Daily Record/Sun etc. That was a number of months ago now and, to date, I've received nothing in the way of a response.

I'm determined to keep going though as it's something that I feel very strongly about.

Just another slight point regarding what I was saying about St Johnstone. Can you, or anyone else, find anything that states the rules on segregation at football matches, and at SPL matches in particular.

I'm sure the rules of some governing body (I don't know if it's the SPL, the SFA, UEFA or FIFA) state that opposing fans must be kept separate.

If that is the case then St Johnstone are in breach of that rule and they should be forced to get it sorted. What makes anyone think that people in wheelchairs want to sit with opposing supporters for 90 minutes any more than able bodied fans would?

Fortunately I wasn't able to make the game at Perth last week but can you imagine how you would feel if, through no fault of your own (i.e. you're not just sitting in the opposition's end because you can't get a ticket for your own end), you are sitting with the opposition whilst they are beating your team 5-1? Even if your team wins, you can't really enjoy the game as you'll need to sit on your hands for the whole time.

It's not on one bit and I would be really interested to see if I'm right with regards to the rules on segregation.

I'll certainly keep my options open with contacting the kind of shows that you've mentioned above. The way I feel right now about it, anything's worth a shot.

KWJ
24-02-2010, 08:42 PM
On the pitch front I kinda feel sorry for Well a bit. As has been mentioned they used a seed which is meant to give them a better pitch in the long run but which was always going to be less able to hold up to the weather than other pitches throughout the country simply because it was so young. The SPL approved this and everyone was happy. Before it got a bit nippy Well had a fine looking pitch. They and the SFA knew it might get a bit rough in the winter but nobody expected the winter to be quite like this.

The SPL can't fine them again when they've approved everthing they've done.

Wasn't aware of the stuff the Well fan said about the groundsman buggering up, that's pretty pathetic if it's the case.

Phil D. Rolls
24-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I think it's time all this was laid to rest. No amount of investigations will bring JFK back. Let him lie in peace!

:music:Heeeeeeeeeheeeeee waaaaaaas a frrrrrrrrrrrrend of mi-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-ne.:violin::

bornahibby
25-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Has been inspected, twice, and described as inadequate. But they can still use it.

I thought inadequate meant unfit for purpose, hense cannot be used? You just need to take one look at it to see that it should be condemned!