PDA

View Full Version : Yogi - Hero to Zero

allmodcons
20-02-2010, 06:07 PM
You have to laugh at some of the posts on here. In the space of 7 days Yogi's gone from hero to zero.

Surely he has to be judged over the course of the season and, despite a very bad week, we're still sitting third in SPL.

If anybody thinks the present team can go through the season without a few blips (losing to Rangers away isn't a blip) then they're clearly deluded, but posting polls about our ability to finish top 6 are laughable.

I do hope the players aren't wetting themselves like some of the posters on here!

Take a look our main competition (i.e. - clubs of a similar size and stature to us) in the form of Hearts and Aberdeen and you'll see that 7 days of suffering isn't so bad after all.

Both are miles behind us in the SPL and also out of the SC with, basically, nothing to play for 'til next season.

bornahibby
20-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Spot on. Great post.

I have posted on other threads critisising Yogi's tactics and subs, but to write him and the season off completely on the back of ONE (admittedly shocking) result (Sundays and today's results were not bad results) is way OTT.

Some on here need to get a bit of perspective IMO.

truehibernian
20-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Correct, and Yogi is suffering a problem that Mowbray and Collins also had, and most that went before them too. The fact of the matter is IMO, Hibs have always been, and will continue to have a soft underbelly, as we have never been a team that has truly rolled the sleeves up away from home and had steel. We took five seasons to sort out a goalkeeping problem (which although hyped by the media, we all knew was there), so hopefully Yogi will use his time in the stands to get a far better overview of the failings of this side (talented as they can be). We lack genuine pace up top, and we lack real balance in midfield. It is too small for a start, and you just cannot play Miller, Cregg (smallest in the side), Stevenson (nearly as small as Cregg) and Rankin (it gets painfully repetitive) and expect to win the gritty 50/50 balls and challenges in the air and on a pitch that has moles living underneath it. The loss of McBride has been the most important over the last three games. He is a genuine leader, leads the side through difficult moments in games, and not only gets the team motivated, he is a good player. Miller looks lost without him. We have changed the defence far too often, to accomodate IMO players who are the managers favourites (Hogg in particular). Hogg is never a right back, and dare I say, if he is the best choice of captain of a football club, then we are rudderless. You cannot play a player simply because he gives effort and he is the club captain. Similarly, you just shouldn't tinker with a side that is on an unbeaten run (unless there are injuries). Why do you have a youngster like Galbraith scoring the winner at Parkhead one week, on cloud nine, and then bench him against St Mirren and not even give him game time since (especially when Riordan has done hee haw to merit his place). The confidence in a young player should be encouraged and harnessed, not left to fizzle away. Hibs will no doubt be in contention for third, but what really surprises me about Yogi is his lack of vision to see where exactly a game is going away from the team. These defeats, if we are all honest with ourselves, have been coming. Irvine Meadow game onwards, we have rode luck, got some decisions our way, and had the breaks. It's our turn it seems not to get them, but the form was poor beforehand IMHO. How on earth an SPL manager's decision to drop a keeper (who hasn't done wrong) is based on "getting Bamba to concentrate better" is just incredulous to me. What on earth is Hogg doing in the case.......and he plays alongside him for god's sake. Pathetic excuse if you ask me. McBride (touch wood) should be given that arm band from now to the end of the season. Middle of the park, sees all ahead of him and behind him. Shouts, orders, and commands respect it seems. But like others, it's Hibs, and we never walk away from them. Glory glory and all that :thumbsup:

allmodcons
20-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Sorry TrueHibernian but I'm sure I get your post:confused:

Given the amount of criticism you level at Hughes:-

- poor choices in midfield
- poor choice of keeper
- lack of encouragement re Galbraith
- poor choice of club captain
- lack of vision during games

Can I assume you think Yogi's a 'zero'?

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2010, 07:14 PM
After wednesday There was nobody who played, who could have felt their place was safe. We had thread after thread about certain players who were regarded as not good enough. So the manager makes some changes, but thats wrong too.

I think maybe we should have a poll on who the fans think should be playing every week, send the result to the manager, and tell him to pick that team. I'm pretty sure that team would have us leading this league, as it seems a simple enough job.

truehibernian
20-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Don't think he is a hero nor a zero. Good manager who has made errors in the last wee while, but no different to Mowbray, Collins or any other previous Hibs manager. I hope though, Yogi sees the lack of bite and steel, unlike the others before him. Flair and skill are one thing, but teams need players who instill fear in the opposition too. We have no one like that and certainly not a natural leader of the team. Too many individuals with no real grit.

Dalianwanda
20-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Spot on. Great post.

I have posted on other threads critisising Yogi's tactics and subs, but to write him and the season off completely on the back of ONE (admittedly shocking) result (Sundays and today's results were not bad results) is way OTT.

Some on here need to get a bit of perspective IMO.

:top marks

allmodcons
20-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't think he is a hero nor a zero. Good manager who has made errors in the last wee while, but no different to Mowbray, Collins or any other previous Hibs manager. I hope though, Yogi sees the lack of bite and steel, unlike the others before him. Flair and skill are one thing, but teams need players who instill fear in the opposition too. We have no one like that and certainly not a natural leader of the team. Too many individuals with no real grit.

You sure about that statement - Duffy, Williamson & Mixu?

That said, I get your point with regard to bite & steel. Someone like Roy Keane in midfield or John Terry at CH. Question is who fits the bill at SPL level and is an improvement on what we've got now?

D'you have any suggestions?

greenlex
20-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Thought the team selection was ok today to be fair given the ub=nderfoot conditions. WHere he let himself down today was removing Cregg (defensive midfielder) and replacing him with Zemmama. We were not looking threatning to be fair but Stack had hardly had a save to make despite us playing a man down for a good chunk of the game up till then. A point today after that would have been a bonus IMO. To change it looking for three points was criminal. Time and a place and all that and it wasnt today when he did make the change. We didnt need to chase the game with ten men. Poor decision.

allmodcons
20-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Thought the team selection was ok today to be fair given the ub=nderfoot conditions. WHere he let himself down today was removing Cregg (defensive midfielder) and replacing him with Zemmama. We were not looking threatning to be fair but Stack had hardly had a save to make despite us playing a man down for a good chunk of the game up till then. A point today after that would have been a bonus IMO. To change it looking for three points was criminal. Time and a place and all that and it wasnt today when he did make the change. We didnt need to chase the game with ten men. Poor decision.

For what it's worth I totally agree that replacing Cregg with Zemmama was a poor decision. Fair enough 11 v 11, but having gone down to 10 men so early on the priority had to be gettng a draw and maintaining the 8 points gap between ourselves and Motherwell.

Jonnyboy
20-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Agree 100% and said so at the time.

rubber mal
20-02-2010, 08:26 PM
You have to laugh at some of the posts on here. In the space of 7 days Yogi's gone from hero to zero.

Surely he has to be judged over the course of the season and, despite a very bad week, we're still sitting third in SPL.

If anybody thinks the present team can go through the season without a few blips (losing to Rangers away isn't a blip) then they're clearly deluded, but posting polls about our ability to finish top 6 are laughable.

I do hope the players aren't wetting themselves like some of the posters on here!

Take a look our main competition (i.e. - clubs of a similar size and stature to us) in the form of Hearts and Aberdeen and you'll see that 7 days of suffering isn't so bad after all.

Both are miles behind us in the SPL and also out of the SC with, basically, nothing to play for 'til next season.

:top marks

I'm pretty gutted with the way this week has gone but looking at the bigger picture, we're not doing too badly at all.

truehibernian
20-02-2010, 09:04 PM
allmodcons - the point i was sort of trying to make (not very well) was that Yogi is like Collins and Mowbray, a good manager, but suffering the same fate as others in that Hibs will never seem to rid themselves of the inconsistency cause (I think) by a soft underbelly in the side. It's historical in a way and unless Yogi can get these "characters in the dressing room" he is on about, who are also good footballers, I think we will be a yoyo side, great one week (usually at home) and woeful the next (usually away). We need a Lennon or a Keane to get ripped into his team mates when they are not performing. Suggestions - it would have to be someone experienced who the players around him respects and trusts. I think the team miss McBride more than any other player this last wee while. He has a nice blend of footballer-leader-shouter-bad loser.........if you watch the body langauge of the players around him when he loses it at them for sloppy play, they listen. I don't see that in Hogg or Bamba or anyone else. We will finish third as our home form is good and we seem to raise the bar at ER. But until we get some real solid leadership (someone feared) we will suffer these kind of weeks IMO.

Vini1875
20-02-2010, 11:46 PM
I have to disagree, Zemmama gave us something going forward and had Yogi been a bit bolder by taking off Gow and putting on either Riordan or Benji then we may have snatched the victory.

As it is I still think we are ahead in the rebuilding of Hibs squad and although we have only one point from 12, we still have our destiny in our own hands.

erskine-hibby
20-02-2010, 11:59 PM

I have to disagree I don't think I have seen anyone on here saying that Yogi is crap, pash and the likes, but it is right that people question some of his team selections as IMHO they have been strange to say the least.

allmodcons
21-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I have to disagree I don't think I have seen anyone on here saying that Yogi is crap, pash and the likes, but it is right that people question some of his team selections as IMHO they have been strange to say the least.

You not paying attention Erskine?

Did you miss the thread 'yogi get yer heed oot yer erse' or the poll asking if we were good enough to finish top 6, which was removed (rightly) by ops for being 'guff'?

erskine-hibby
21-02-2010, 10:26 AM
You not paying attention Erskine?

Did you miss the thread 'yogi get yer heed oot yer erse' or the poll asking if we were good enough to finish top 6, which was removed (rightly) by ops for being 'guff'?
Actually I did miss those, but then again I have better things to do (honest) than read every thread on here.
What is disturbing though is if those threads have just been deleted because, as you say, they are guff, or if they were removed because they were offensive???
Surely everyone has a right to their opinions on here, as long as, I say, they are not offensive.
Personally I think Yogi should 'get hid heed oot his erse' in terms of team set up and if someone doesn't think we are good enough for a top 6 place, then that is their opinion, no??

Expecting Rain
21-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Correct, and Yogi is suffering a problem that Mowbray and Collins also had, and most that went before them too. The fact of the matter is IMO, Hibs have always been, and will continue to have a soft underbelly, as we have never been a team that has truly rolled the sleeves up away from home and had steel. We took five seasons to sort out a goalkeeping problem (which although hyped by the media, we all knew was there), so hopefully Yogi will use his time in the stands to get a far better overview of the failings of this side (talented as they can be). We lack genuine pace up top, and we lack real balance in midfield. It is too small for a start, and you just cannot play Miller, Cregg (smallest in the side), Stevenson (nearly as small as Cregg) and Rankin (it gets painfully repetitive) and expect to win the gritty 50/50 balls and challenges in the air and on a pitch that has moles living underneath it. The loss of McBride has been the most important over the last three games. He is a genuine leader, leads the side through difficult moments in games, and not only gets the team motivated, he is a good player. Miller looks lost without him. We have changed the defence far too often, to accomodate IMO players who are the managers favourites (Hogg in particular). Hogg is never a right back, and dare I say, if he is the best choice of captain of a football club, then we are rudderless. You cannot play a player simply because he gives effort and he is the club captain. Similarly, you just shouldn't tinker with a side that is on an unbeaten run (unless there are injuries). Why do you have a youngster like Galbraith scoring the winner at Parkhead one week, on cloud nine, and then bench him against St Mirren and not even give him game time since (especially when Riordan has done hee haw to merit his place). The confidence in a young player should be encouraged and harnessed, not left to fizzle away. Hibs will no doubt be in contention for third, but what really surprises me about Yogi is his lack of vision to see where exactly a game is going away from the team. These defeats, if we are all honest with ourselves, have been coming. Irvine Meadow game onwards, we have rode luck, got some decisions our way, and had the breaks. It's our turn it seems not to get them, but the form was poor beforehand IMHO. How on earth an SPL manager's decision to drop a keeper (who hasn't done wrong) is based on "getting Bamba to concentrate better" is just incredulous to me. What on earth is Hogg doing in the case.......and he plays alongside him for god's sake. Pathetic excuse if you ask me. McBride (touch wood) should be given that arm band from now to the end of the season. Middle of the park, sees all ahead of him and behind him. Shouts, orders, and commands respect it seems. But like others, it's Hibs, and we never walk away from them. Glory glory and all that :thumbsup:

Can`t see where it says Yogi has gone from hero to zero, a great post with a sense of reality.:top marks

Kevvy1875
21-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Are we all just Falkirk fans in disguise?:idea:

ancient hibee
21-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Some on here are the ones who were touting Yogi for the EPL-now he's hopeless.

Bamba going for £4M- now he's useless.

Miller best player in the SPL-now he's no good without McBride.

Still that's what being a football fan is all about.

If threads are going to be deleted because they are guff well they can close the site down because we won't have any threads.

CapitalHibs
21-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Yogi has at least continually made public reference to getting some steel through the team - something that in my recollection, Collins and Mowbray never did.

Yogi has solved the goalkeeping problem and brought in some quality players. Some great progress in just half a season. He will now be all out to solve these other problems. He just needs time.

Wull
21-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Some on here are the ones who were touting Yogi for the EPL-now he's hopeless.

Bamba going for £4M- now he's useless.

Miller best player in the SPL-now he's no good without McBride.

Still that's what being a football fan is all about.

If threads are going to be deleted because they are guff well they can close the site down because we won't have any threads.

Prety much what i've been thinkin the last week, but I still think Hibs are way better than what we've seen the last weeK

3 weeks ago at the end of the transfer windy we were all cock a hoop at gettin Gow ahead o' hearts and no loosin 1 o' ur superstars, what the bluxum has happened, thing should have got better?:confused:

anyway Cummon the Hibees Europe here we come:thumbsup: