PDA

View Full Version : The football years 1971/72 9pm

blueisthecolour
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
The weekly reminder for anyone wanting to watch the football years, starting at 9pm

Alex Trager
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Massive shock its about the/one of the of AGAIN

Diclonius
04-02-2010, 08:17 PM
What about them? :yawn:

Phil D. Rolls
04-02-2010, 08:18 PM
The weekly reminder for anyone wanting to watch the football years, starting at 9pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the "celebrations" in Barcelona again. It kind of went a wee bit pear shaped there. Shouldn't have come as a surprise, after all Franco was known for attacking his own people. :whistle:

Football wise, I love that tackle that John Greig put in right at the start.

But I think having to relive the Ibrox disaster will be tough. It just gets worse every time I see it, especially when you think of the age of some of those who died.

BerwickHibs
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
What side is it on ?

blueisthecolour
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
what side is it on ?

stv

blueisthecolour
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the "celebrations" in Barcelona again. It kind of went a wee bit pear shaped there. Shouldn't have come as a surprise, after all Franco was known for attacking his own people. :whistle:

Football wise, I love that tackle that John Greig put in right at the start.

But I think having to relive the Ibrox disaster will be tough. It just gets worse every time I see it, especially when you think of the age of some of those who died.

Your right about that, my dad stood at that staircase everyweek and his supporters bus was moved that day, and he made his way to another exit which prob saved his life.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Your right about that, my dad stood at that staircase everyweek and his supporters bus was moved that day, and he made his way to another exit which prob saved his life.

Anyone else think that this disaster has been forgotten about somewhat?
Certainly imagine we'd be reminded of it much more often it had it occured elsewhere.

Big_Franck
04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Anyone else think that this disaster has been forgotten about somewhat?Certainly imagine we'd be reminded of it much more often it had it occured elsewhere.

I would have to agree with that. I'm in my mid twenties and i'm ashamed to say I knew nothing of the ibrox disaster until reading this thread.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
As much as i hate Rangers and Celtic. If this had happened over the other side of Glasgow, we'd have a memorial every year, a minutes silence every week, and more much much more. For the cause obviously.

Biggie
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
yeah, awful, I vaguely remember that I think its seeing dead bodies on a pitch that really brings it home how bad it was.
On a different theme...hope they dont show the scottish cup final of '72:hide:

Jonnyboy
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
The Ibrox Disaster was a real tragedy and no mistake. Back then the rivalries that exist nowadays and I exclude the Rangers/Celtic scenario, were not the same and that meant that fans like me, a follower of Hibs felt deep sorrow.

On another note, re the STV programme I wonder why they've never highlighted the Famous Five and the titles won?

Gerard
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
The Ibrox Disaster was a real tragedy and no mistake. Back then the rivalries that exist nowadays and I exclude the Rangers/Celtic scenario, were not the same and that meant that fans like me, a follower of Hibs felt deep sorrow.

On another note, re the STV programme I wonder why they've never highlighted the Famous Five and the titles won?

Dear Jonnyboy you are one of the few Hibs fans that are fortunate to have seen the Famous Five play:greengrin
Still it would be nice to see the FF in a STV programme
Gerard
only 44 years old:greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Dear Jonnyboy you are one of the few Hibs fans that are fortunate to have seen the Famous Five play:greengrin
Still it would be nice to see the FF in a STV programme
Gerard
only 44 years old:greengrin

Young whippersnapper :greengrin

Gerard
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Young whippersnapper :greengrin

touche:wink:
G

FranckSuzy
05-02-2010, 12:03 AM

bitc

There's something that has been puzzling me for a while so please forgive me for asking....why do you feel the need to advise us of the TV schedule :confused: We get papers here in the East, we can buy TV mags, we have access to teletext etc. Oh, and WE CAN READ. A revelation to you perhaps :dunno: :greengrin. Thanks for looking out for us though.....:cool2:

Marabou Stork
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Certainly imagine we'd be reminded of it much more often it had it occured elsewhere.

Indeed. When compared to the annual grief-fest that is Hillsborough, it's ridiculous. The Ibrox disaster along with the Bradford fire are two horrific events that hopefully will never be repeated and never forgotten.

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 12:14 AM

Steam radio doesn't translate well to telly. :wink:

iwasthere1972
05-02-2010, 12:31 AM
bitc

There's something that has been puzzling me for a while so please forgive me for asking....why do you feel the need to advise us of the TV schedule :confused: We get papers here in the East, we can buy TV mags, we have access to teletext etc. Oh, and WE CAN READ. A revelation to you perhaps :dunno: :greengrin. Thanks for looking out for us though.....:cool2:

The answer is simple. BITC likes to log on to hibs.net, start a thread that has a hun connection then log off for a day or two while the majority on here rightly direct dogs abuse in his direction.

BITC I know you're viewing this as a guest so GIRUY. :bye:

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Certainly very few outside of football history buffs can tell you of other deaths in the same stadium, 1902, 25 deaths, and even the same stairwell 1961, 2 deaths.

How it did,nt occur at other Scottish grounds can be put down to sheer luck.

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 08:43 AM
What actually happened? i don't understand it, did the metal stair ways collapse, like what we have as you enter/exit the east? if so i still dont understand how so many died. However after watching it i do feel sympathy for those who were involved. Seriously how would we feel if we were at tynecastle and it happened to them? truthful answers please? Also there is a song about the disaster which i , now after watching what actually happened, feel is disgusting and shouldn't be sung.However that does not mean to say i felt comfortable about it prior to watching it , just had no idea what happened

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 08:52 AM
See after taking a look on jk to see whats going on, i suddenly feel pure hared toward them and am now unsure as to how i'd react... see the thing is after the imagine post yeterday i now know facts that i never knew before ,so surey since they only won 2 derby's in 15 years , that well and truly stumps '22 in a row', And since they failed to score in five years of league derby's that should shut them up , but no thay still yap on about '22 in a row'-even though nine of them were draws.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
What actually happened? i don't understand it, did the metal stair ways collapse, like what we have as you enter/exit the east? if so i still dont understand how so many died. However after watching it i do feel sympathy for those who were involved. Seriously how would we feel if we were at tynecastle and it happened to them? truthful answers please? Also there is a song about the disaster which i , now after watching what actually happened, feel is disgusting and shouldn't be sung.However that does not mean to say i felt comfortable about it prior to watching it , just had no idea what happened

Think the problem was at each side of the stairwell there was railway sleepers which trapped you from getting out of a crush sideways, maybe in an empty stadium and with help you may have got over the sleepers onto a very steep grass embankment.
But with thousands packed on the stairwell you did,nt stand a chance in a crush if you fell.
The people behind you had nowhere to go.
Also the stairway 13 was the height of about a 10 storey high flat with not the greatest lighting.
People 20,30,40 steps behind you would have no idea what was happening.
Only when those savvy enough fans were able shout back up towards the top would the crushing stop.
By that time it was too late.

Monktonhall 7
05-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I cant believe that we did not see more of these disasters. I remember at Fir Park 1976, the game one of our guys got a dart stuck in his head, the rush toward the Motherwell fans around about half time left most of us at the segregation line on the ground, with bodies on top of us. I thought that was me gone. Then we had the incident at the PBS before the bus shelters were erected, leaving the Gorgie Road end, and the tunnel walls collapsed, and worst one I have been involved in was the CS gas cannister thrown into the East, when we had fences, and the panic trying to get onto the pitch.

Ah, the good old days!

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 09:57 AM
The aim of the builders of most big stadiums was to cram in as many people in who were paying very little in today,s terms.
Say a fiver in today,s money.

The beach end stairs at Aberdeen was another scary exit.
Hampden was another.
Tynecastle, think it was more luck than anything that nothing happened.
Luckily most Scottish grounds were too small to have had high steep stairways.
Probably more danger from fire in most of the old stands, which nobody gave a thought to till Bradford.

JimBHibees
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Was it not caused in some small way by the fact Rangers scored a late goal and some fans who were leaving then tried to get back into the ground causing the crush. Maybe wrong but vaguely remember that being said. Sounds absolutely horrific and very sad.

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Was it not caused in some small way by the fact Rangers scored a late goal and some fans who were leaving then tried to get back into the ground causing the crush. Maybe wrong but vaguely remember that being said. Sounds absolutely horrific and very sad.

Not a small part at all. Was a major factor.

Celtic scored in the last minute. Cue a mass exit of Rangers fans.

Rangers went up the park and equalised. Cue a massive roar and, as you say, folk turning round trying to find out what happened. One trips, another falls over, etc etc.

For those who don't remember the old terracing at ER, think of the steps getting out of the East. Imagine that about ten times as high, with no decent barriers. Now think of us scoring in the last minute against Hearts...

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Not a small part at all. Was a major factor.

Celtic scored in the last minute. Cue a mass exit of Rangers fans.

Rangers went up the park and equalised. Cue a massive roar and, as you say, folk turning round trying to find out what happened. One trips, another falls over, etc etc.

For those who don't remember the old terracing at ER, think of the steps getting out of the East. Imagine that about ten times as high, with no decent barriers. Now think of us scoring in the last minute against Hearts...
says this is not true here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
says this is not true here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster

Ouch, I have been Wiki'd.

My cynicism about Wikipedia aside, I cannot believe that "everyone was moving in the same direction". You hear an enormous roar from your end of the ground, and you keep on walking?

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 10:55 AM
na but how would that lead to a failing of metal stairway supports

lyonhibs
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Are you wired to the moon??

Thousands upon thousands up people trying to rush back up a staircase to catch a glimpse of their team scoring an equalizer against their biggest rivals.

Understandably, these people weren't necessarily queing like they were at a supermarket checkout, and the metal bariers, designed for people exiting the stadium full time in a calmer fashion, collapsed under the crush. People had nowhere to go - like a massive domino effect.

Imagine the carnage - I suspect that does explain how metal railings buckled.

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Sheer weight of numbers. Part of the crowd stops to check what's going on. The bulk behind keep going. The weight of thousands on a barrier that had probably seen better days.

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Thousands upon thousands up people trying to rush back up a staircase to catch a glimpse of their team scoring an equalizer against their biggest rivals.

Understandably, these people weren't necessarily queing like they were at a supermarket checkout, and the metal bariers, designed for people exiting the stadium full time in a calmer fashion, collapsed under the crush. People had nowhere to go - like a massive domino effect.

Steady.

To be fair, not everyone understands the different culture back then. Grounds were bigger, crowds were massive, supporters had their bevvy with them, H and S legislation wasn't what it is now.

It's difficult to visualise just how different the football environment was back then.

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
fair enough

Alex Trager
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Expand?

lapsedhibee
05-02-2010, 11:12 AM

This doesn't make sense. If you believe the science thing about the moon orbiting the earth, you couldn't be wired to the moon and maintain membership of hibs.net. A wire would lift you off the earth's surface and you'd be unable to log in. :confused:

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
This doesn't make sense. If you believe the science thing about the moon orbiting the earth, you couldn't be wired to the moon and maintain membership of hibs.net. A wire would lift you off the earth's surface and you'd be unable to log in. :confused:

You could, you know:-

1. if it was a very long wire, OR

2. if you were as fast a runner as Ivan.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
says this is not true here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrox_disaster)

There was also a claim at the time of one man carrying another on his shoulders and that they toppled over.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Steady.

To be fair, not everyone understands the different culture back then. Grounds were bigger, crowds were massive, supporters had their bevvy with them, H and S legislation wasn't what it is now.

It's difficult to visualise just how different the football environment was back then.

And no cctv to tell what exactly happened in those moments.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
You could, you know:-

1. if it was a very long wire, OR

2. if you were as fast a runner as Ivan.

:tsk tsk: Ivan ran fast on land, but only walked on water.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Looking at the photo,s as you have no doubt done, only certain barriers gave way, those coming down the stairs on the left of stairway 13 seem to have held.
Pointing to fans being uninjured and leaving safely.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Another (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.11v11.co.uk/images/photos/Boltondisaster.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.11v11.co.uk/index.php%3FpageID%3D286%26id%3D5&h=412&w=550&sz=62&tbnid=2t-hTfKdd3f_eM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrush%2Bbarriers&hl=en&usg=__Ae4yVQV7K0L11sSyC1MSDvuDhcU=&ei=nwVsS6K4BI_KjAekuuj8BQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CCMQ9QEwBA) crush-barrier collapse, which I'd never heard about before.

Appears that players were less easily ruffled in them days.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Another (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.11v11.co.uk/images/photos/Boltondisaster.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.11v11.co.uk/index.php%3FpageID%3D286%26id%3D5&h=412&w=550&sz=62&tbnid=2t-hTfKdd3f_eM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrush%2Bbarriers&hl=en&usg=__Ae4yVQV7K0L11sSyC1MSDvuDhcU=&ei=nwVsS6K4BI_KjAekuuj8BQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CCMQ9QEwBA) crush-barrier collapse, which I'd never heard about before.

Without looking it up i think somebody was killed at Shawfield when a wall collapsed at a scottish cup tie.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM

They carried on playing with the dead lying at the side of the pitch.

:confused:

lapsedhibee
05-02-2010, 12:15 PM
They carried on playing with the dead lying at the side of the pitch.

Using sawdust, made a new sideline to narrow the pitch, so that the game could continue. Troupers!

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2010, 12:17 PM
:tsk tsk: Ivan ran fast on land, but only walked on water.

So, he would go over the water during the day, when the moon is asleep.

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Using sawdust, made a new sideline to narrow the pitch, so that the game could continue. Troupers!

Did,nt Liverpool and Juventas do the same in a cup final..

legends of 73
05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
As much as i hate Rangers and Celtic. If this had happened over the other side of Glasgow, we'd have a memorial every year, a minutes silence every week, and more much much more. For the cause obviously.

too true they would still be going on about it

lapsedhibee
05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
So, he would go over the water during the day, when the moon is asleep.

Good point. It should be doable then. :agree:

Green_one
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Football grounds were much more dangerous places then. Poor underfoot (railway sleepers at Hampden), narrow exits and few barriers.

Combined with very large crowds and no limits often put on them, I was several times lifted off my feet and carried down or along by crowds exiting / rushing forward at goals. See any KOP footage from the 60s for the effect.

Grounds were deathtraps. Crushing was common. Some of the 'bring back standng' debates need to remember the improvements sitting made to controlling and evening out the crowd.

The old stand at Tynie always reminds me of the old days. Dangerous.

Its funny how history is selective and things like Ibrox and Bradford are just forgotten.

Phil D. Rolls
05-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I think it is worth pointing out to those who criticise Health and Safety so much, that it was the lack of any control over football grounds that led to this disaster.

If people had put more value on life - especially working class lves - this would never have happened. Football on both sides of the border experienced several tragedies such as that at Bolton in the 50s, yet clubs were allowed to continue unhindered.

I think a lot of the atmosphere of the old grounds has been lost, but I would never have taken my children to them.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Football grounds were much more dangerous places then. Poor underfoot (railway sleepers at Hampden), narrow exits and few barriers.

Combined with very large crowds and no limits often put on them, I was several times lifted off my feet and carried down or along by crowds exiting / rushing forward at goals. See any KOP footage from the 60s for the effect.

Grounds were deathtraps. Crushing was common. Some of the 'bring back standng' debates need to remember the improvements sitting made to controlling and evening out the crowd.

The old stand at Tynie always reminds me of the old days. Dangerous.

Its funny how history is selective and things like Ibrox and Bradford are just forgotten.

Yes those railway sleepers were terrible. They were wooden with concrete in between. They obviously did not use the mix they do today when pouring the concrete, as whenever a goal was scored, a cloud of smoke would appear with the concrete wasting away under foot. Great days though.:greengrin

blueisthecolour
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
bitc

Any football message board ive been on I always notice a reminder thread for any football programs that is on tv, on this site I noticed there was no such thread, I took it to be one of two things, no one thought to remind others as they would assume others would know or they had no interest in the program if their team was not it.

One of the programmes I put a reminder thread on about it and I did take some stick as it was about rangers and someone said I wouldn't have started the thread had it been about other teams, we then had the year about Aberdeen and dundee utd so I put the reminder up and some posters thanked me for it as they had forgot it was on, so now if I remember I post reminders.

As for the disaster this was the reason rangers made the stadium much the way it is now and hopefully we will never see something like that again.

Gerard
05-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I think that we should go easy on BITC as he may find that if Rangers go under he will need to find another team to follow:wink::thumbsup::devil:
The future is green and white and shining bright
G

tony higgins
05-02-2010, 04:53 PM
A urban myth thats gained ground in recent years has been that Ibrox was completely rebuilt immediately after the disaster.
In fact it took 6 and a half years for work to begin at one end and another three years for work to be completed.

On the question of disasters not being remembered the saddest and most chilling one for me that many people can,t give the year of is DUNBLANE.