PDA

View Full Version : Andy McNeil - Is he a Tube?

Andy74
20-01-2010, 09:39 AM
A fine selction of quotes today from Andy McNeil, failed goalkeeper.

"I was not very proactive trying to get a club – I thought someone would just phone me up, offer me lots of money and then we would be away"

"Easter Road is where I feel like I belong, and I am not just saying that because it is Hibs. It's an SPL ground, there will be thousands of people there and we will be playing against top players. That's what I feel my talents deserve. "

"it's not going to be the Andy McNeil show to the detriment of the team"

His drop down the leagues hasn't done much to dint his ego has it? Sounds like he thinks being at biggish clubs as a youngster has entitled him to a living.

Expecting Rain
20-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately for Andy he was too small as a keeper, an ordinary save for most keepers had to become a brilliant full stretched stop for McNeil, the only consolation i could offer him was that he was better than Simon Brown and Malkowski, though i wouldn`t get into a heated debate about this if someone begged to differ.

Baw187
20-01-2010, 09:47 AM

"I was not very proactive trying to get a club – I thought someone would just phone me up, offer me lots of money and then we would be away"

"Easter Road is where I feel like I belong, and I am not just saying that because it is Hibs. It's an SPL ground, there will be thousands of people there and we will be playing against top players. That's what I feel my talents deserve. "

His drop down the leagues hasn't done much to dint his ego has it? Sounds like he thinks being at biggish clubs as a youngster has entitled him to a living.

He was talked up something rotten as a youth player and there were high hopes for him when he was at Southampton then came to Hibs. Unfortunately he never quite looked good enough despite being a cecent shot stopper. He never dominated his box and was positionaly poor at times, which resulted in goals against.

Maybe the press he got as a promising youngster is still very much alive in his own head.

dirtydirk
20-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Keeper for Hibs on one of our best cup triumphs in years - enough said.

Feel for him as he wasn't the best of players but a big Hibs fan and certainly not the worst keeper we have seen. Its must be hard dropping down the leagues like that and hopefully he can get a contract with a bigger club than Montrose in the near future.

RickyS
20-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately for Andy he was too small as a keeper, an ordinary save for most keepers had to become a brilliant full stretched stop for McNeil, the only consolation i could offer him was that he was better than Simon Brown and Malkowski, though i wouldn`t get into a heated debate about this if someone begged to differ.

and Maka:wink:

Expecting Rain
20-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Feel for him as he wasn't the best of players but a big Hibs fan and certainly not the worst keeper we have seen. Its must be hard dropping down the leagues like that and hopefully he can get a contract with a bigger club than Montrose in the near future.

:agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
20-01-2010, 10:02 AM

I feel a bit sorry for him as well. In response to the title of the thread - no I don't think he's a tube. I believe he trained hard and had a good lifestyle and generally did his best to be a success at Hibs. He was better than Zibi\Brown but would not get in ahead of Smith/Stack if he was still here.

Its difficult to judge on those quotes without seeing the questions he was asked. I wish him all the best after the cup game.

Keith_M
20-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't be too quick to judge someone on an article in the press. You never really know what they actually said and how it's been 'edited'.

FWIW, I think he's got the ability to play higher than the 3rd division.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Not wanting to get into the slagging our own players debate but a lot of posters did not rate McNeil at all. Lack of stature is one thing but, where he was a fine shot stopper and perhaps the ideal pick for a game of fives, I never saw him as a long term fix. That said, it was a bit of a shocker that he has fallen through all the rungs and is now playing for Montrose. Given where we are and where Montrose are, that means more or less that none of the senior teams in Scotland rated him either. Did he get a game cos he is a Hibby?

Andy74
20-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Not wanting to get into the slagging our own players debate but a lot of posters did not rate McNeil at all. Lack of stature is one thing but, where he was a fine shot stopper and perhaps the ideal pick for a game of fives, I never saw him as a long term fix. That said, it was a bit of a shocker that he has fallen through all the rungs and is now playing for Montrose. Given where we are and where Montrose are, that means more or less that none of the senior teams in Scotland rated him either. Did he get a game cos he is a Hibby?

It looks like he made no effort to get himself a job as he thought he was so good people would come looking for him.

At the same time as making mistakes at Hibs he had some shockers for the Scotland under 21s as well so no idea why he thinks he is due some sort of living at a higher level without getting out there and trying to get himself sorted.

Using phrases like 'my talents' and 'the Andy McNeil show', even in the context of saying it is the team that is important suggests he still has a high opinion of his own worth that others aren't sharing!

ShanksSaidNo
20-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Its maybe got a bit to do with him playing within the 'Hibs goalies are sh*te' era. I think he's been unlucky - his main howler (and really one of the only ones i can recall) was when he jumped for a ball at ***********, it took a funny bounce and evaded him. That could happen to anyone though! The ball hit the only bit of turf that was going to make it bounce like that!

He came with a decent reputation - and was still a young laddie but was thrust in at the deep end maybe a bit to soon due to our other goalie's complete inability to be good.

Toaods
20-01-2010, 11:02 AM
It looks like he made no effort to get himself a job as he thought he was so good people would come looking for him.

At the same time as making mistakes at Hibs he had some shockers for the Scotland under 21s as well so no idea why he thinks he is due some sort of living at a higher level without getting out there and trying to get himself sorted.

Using phrases like 'my talents' and 'the Andy McNeil show', even in the context of saying it is the team that is important suggests he still has a high opinion of his own worth that others aren't sharing!

Said it before, I doubt Andy McNeill will come back to haunt us, including the next round of the Cup. First choice at Scottish 1st division at best IMHO.

Peevemor
20-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Its maybe got a bit to do with him playing within the 'Hibs goalies are sh*te' era. I think he's been unlucky - his main howler (and really one of the only ones i can recall) was when he jumped for a ball at ***********, it took a funny bounce and evaded him. That could happen to anyone though! The ball hit the only bit of turf that was going to make it bounce like that!

He came with a decent reputation - and was still a young laddie but was thrust in at the deep end maybe a bit to soon due to our other goalie's complete inability to be good.

brog
20-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I hope he gets a great reception from everyone at ER for the cup tie. As someone else posted we don't have that many ex-players who contributed to us winning a trophy.
After that of course I hope we score half a dozen! :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
20-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Said it before, I doubt Andy McNeill will come back to haunt us, including the next round of the Cup. First choice at Scottish 1st division at best IMHO.

Reminds me of Mark McGeown, who was a decent keeper for Stirling for a number of years but never looked like playing at a higher level.

in-me-pocket
20-01-2010, 11:56 AM
come on, fair's fair --- he did have that stupendous cup winning save from Naismith. At least show gratitude for that.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Andy deserves a warm welcome IMO :agree:

I draw the line at wishing him luck for the game tho' :greengrin

Toaods
20-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I hope he gets a great reception from everyone at ER for the cup tie. As someone else posted we don't have that many ex-players who contributed to us winning a trophy.

lets hear it for Dave Beaumont...:grr:

brog
20-01-2010, 01:58 PM
lets hear it for Dave Beaumont...:grr:

That was a classic right enough! Picked up a medal without playing, bit like Mikey Stewart actually! :wink:

Toaods
20-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Mikey Stewart

he could score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final for us and I'd find it hard to cheer that tosser.

GieTheBaTaeReilly
20-01-2010, 02:55 PM
he could score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final for us and I'd find it hard to cheer that tosser.

Ye'd be cheering if it was an o.g. mate, trust me. :wink:

.Sean.
20-01-2010, 04:26 PM
He's far from a tosser. I've met him two or three times and he's a sound guy and seems very down to earth.

MSK
20-01-2010, 04:49 PM
He's far from a tosser. I've met him two or three times and he's a sound guy and seems very down to earth.Mikey Stewart ..?...nah ..he is a tosser ..:agree:

Rory89
20-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Don't know what he's like as a person but he seemed like the type of keeper who walks around his house dropping everything.

I know he won the CIS but he's one of a collection of keepers who one after the other made me permanently scared of goalkeeepers for life, every time the ball goes near the Hibs keeper I cack myself, even if I rate them.

Therefore he won't really be getting a reception from me one way or the other.

Woody1985
20-01-2010, 05:26 PM

That made me lol.

I thought he was being a tube with the 'I feel that's what my talent deserves' line. Trying to show confidence but looking like a cock at the same time!

.Sean.
20-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Mikey Stewart ..?...nah ..he is a tosser ..:agree:
Nah, Andy McNeil.

I have seen Ginger Baws up the toon though. Twat that man :agree:

down-the-slope
20-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Nah, Andy McNeil.

I have seen Ginger Baws up the toon though. Twat that man :agree:
:shocked:
It always worries me how some blokes seem to have intimate knowlege of things they can only have viewed personally to be able to talk with such authority

blackhibee
20-01-2010, 07:25 PM
In response to the OP, I don't think he is an all round tube, but he certainly falls into the plonker catagory as far as Charlie Adams goal against us at ER was. Straight from the Simon Brown school of goalkeeping, and virtually identical to the one against Brown by the same player too. At the same time he also made some excellent saves considering he's not tall for a goalie. Best of luck to him all the same.

givescotlandfreedom
20-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I think he's been unlucky - his main howler (and really one of the only ones i can recall) was when he jumped for a ball at ***********, it took a funny bounce and evaded him. That could happen to anyone though! The ball hit the only bit of turf that was going to make it bounce like that!

He also had made some cracking saves prior to that goal. I always remember him playing v St Mirren the day the flats behind the South Stand caught fire. He put in one of the best goalkeeping performances I've witnessed. I hope he gets to a higher level.

O'Rourke3
20-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Read the article this afternoon and thought "good on you". He's admitting he listened to advice that offers would flow in - and they didn't. so, he's got himself a game and an unglamerous club and is prepared to work his way back up. He doesn't bad mouth the team or the club. States its a shock playing to small crowds and likes the fact he'd got used to bigger crowds and wants that again. Nothing but respect for that.

Not the greatest keeper but the best we had when he was there. He's grown up with every match televised and every mistake replayed, and where fans can get together like this and disect every minute of the game. In a different era, he'd have been fine.

drifter533814
20-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Read the article this afternoon and thought "good on you". He's admitting he listened to advice that offers would flow in - and they didn't. so, he's got himself a game and an unglamerous club and is prepared to work his way back up. He doesn't bad mouth the team or the club. States its a shock playing to small crowds and likes the fact he'd got used to bigger crowds and wants that again. Nothing but respect for that.

Not the greatest keeper but the best we had when he was there. He's grown up with every match televised and every mistake replayed, and where fans can get together like this and disect every minute of the game. In a different era, he'd have been fine.

Totally agree :agree:

col02
20-01-2010, 09:24 PM
McNeil is not a tube in reference to the question posed in the title. A young lad who had some good performances and some mistakes too while in goals for Hibs. Also played his part in giving me and my family the best day out with regards to supporting Hibs to date and for that alone will refrain from calling him a tube or anyone else for that matter who played on that fine day. I also echo the sentiments that he is too good to be playing in the third division and wish him luck in getting back to a level where his talent is more suited to.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2010, 09:31 PM
McNeil is not a tube in reference to the question posed in the title. A young lad who had some good performances and some mistakes too while in goals for Hibs. Also played his part in giving me and my family the best day out with regards to supporting Hibs to date and for that alone will refrain from calling him a tube or anyone else for that matter who played on that fine day. I also echo the sentiments that he is too good to be playing in the third division and wish him luck in getting back to a level where his talent is more suited to.

:top marks

Never worked out for the laddie but it wasn't because of lack of effort. Said nothing bad about Hibs so should be well received IMO

Hibhibhooray
20-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Andys last few season were spent with Gordon Marshall as goal keeping coach who I think was the main reason for our goalies poor positioning at free kicks and the rest:grr:

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2010, 10:19 PM
:top marks

Never worked out for the laddie but it wasn't because of lack of effort. Said nothing bad about Hibs so should be well received IMO

Yes, quite. I find this tendency towards vitriol with regards to our ex players a trifle unseemly.

Hainan Hibs
20-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I wish him well in getting back up the leagues. Can't knock a Hibs cup winner. Think he was unlucky to follow in the footsteps of Zibbi and Simon Brown, it was always going to be a lot of pressure.

The Harp Awakes
20-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Andy wouldny have played for Hibs, Southampton and Scotland without being a decent keeper. His confidence was shot in an infamous Scotland U21 (?) game IIRC and I don't think he ever fully recovered from that experience. Andy is a big Hibby and he lived the dream and I will certainly be giving him a big clap when he plays at THG in a few weeks time.

NaeTechnoHibby
20-01-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm surprised at you :boo hoo:

I havane read all of this thread, but he's goal keeper who lost one goal in a final that we scored 5 :thumbsup: lets's not forget that Naismith went to the mighty gers and we got Big Colin:thumbsup: Both losers that day :greengrin

I will welcome him back and hope he's not too tested :agree:

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Andys last few season were spent with Gordon Marshall as goal keeping coach who I think was the main reason for our goalies poor positioning at free kicks and the rest:grr:

I agree, thats why Maka has improved beyond belief since he left. :blah:

Hibs On Tour
21-01-2010, 09:32 PM

And after that howler, we [I use the Royal we, as in the Hibs fan-base] crucified the laddie. Didn't get the time to bed in and make the mistakes that all new [and particularly young] players are going to make that we had previously afforded the non-chuckle brothers Zibi and Simone. We destroyed a young players confidence and never gave him a chance to regain it IMHO. Pretty pish on our parts I have to say.

That said, he seems to be freely admitting to have hardly went about things since in the right fashion and hopefully his rude awakening and fall from grace will have managed to knock some sense into him and he can kick on from here to resurrect his career somewhere, as I still maintain there is an excellent keeper there.

That said, hope we skelp plenty past him at ER...!

PS - height? pish man [to those who suggested it]. AM is bigger than Goram was FFS [no, not suggesting in the same class clearly but clearly height is **** all to do with it either]

JimBHibees
22-01-2010, 08:42 AM
PS - height? pish man [to those who suggested it]. AM is bigger than Goram was FFS [no, not suggesting in the same class clearly but clearly height is **** all to do with it either]

I think height is a factor, he was a decent goalie but didnt command his box to any great extent. Goram was clearly exceptional however there arent many decent keepers under 6 feet.

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Mikey Stewart ..?...nah ..he is a tosser ..:agree:

Strange how we experience people differently. I agree with Sean; I've been in Michael Stewart's company on quite a few occasions and he's always come over as a thoroughly decent chap.