PDA

View Full Version : It was forty years ago today.........

marinello59
02-01-2010, 11:31 AM
It was forty years ago today that Peter Marinello left Hibs and signed for Arsenal.
I am still gutted.:boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
It was forty years ago today that Peter Marinello left Hibs and signed for Arsenal.

I remember it as if it was yesterday. He was the 2nd star that had been sold in my short time of being a fan. Colin Stein was the 1st, although his first game against us was the next week. And he scored 3 against us, Peter stayed a hero, as he left for Arsenal and they were never going to do that. Peter cormack was next i think, or had he already gone?:confused: Still we only had to wait a couple of years for the tornadoes. :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM

I first saw him play for Hibs in the days when we used to have a team in the East of Scotland league.

It was clear even in these very early days that he had a unique talent.

Am I right in saying that the transfer fee was £100,000 which in these days was a fortune for such a young player?

HibbyAndy
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Look on the bright side, it will be very long time before the next hibs players leaves for Arsenal.:greengrin

Barney McGrew
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Am I right in saying that the transfer fee was £100,000 which in these days was a fortune for such a young player?

:agree:

It was a record fee for Arsenal at the time. He scored on his debut against Man Utd at Old Trafford the following week.

Ringothedog
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Was he not subbed at half time in the new year derby at ER so as he could sign for Arsenal ? Or is my mind playing tricks on me ?

hibbie02
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Jeez thanks for making me feel auld again!!! :greengrin

stubru59
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
This was the start of Hibs breaking my heart on a regular basis. Even when women came along, they did nothing like the damage Hibs done.

hibbie02
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Look on the bright side, it will be very long time before the next hibs players leaves for Arsenal.:greengrin

Dinnae count yer chickens. One word.....Bamba...........Shhhhhh! :cool2:

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
This was the start of Hibs breaking my heart on a regular basis. Even when women came along, they did nothing like the damage Hibs done.

:greengrin

marinello59
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I remember it as if it was yesterday. He was the 2nd star that had been sold in my short time of being a fan. Colin Stein was the 1st, although his first game against us was the next week. And he scored 3 against us, Peter stayed a hero, as he left for Arsenal and they were never going to do that. Peter cormack was next i think, or had he already gone?:confused: Still we only had to wait a couple of years for the tornadoes. :thumbsup:

Cormack left in March 1970. (£80 000 fee)

marinello59
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Jeez thanks for making me feel auld again!!! :greengrin

If i am feel ing old, everybody is going to feel old.:greengrin

:greengrin

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I first saw him play for Hibs in the days when we used to have a team in the East of Scotland league.

It was clear even in these very early days that he had a unique talent.

Yep - also remember him going down south touted as "the new George Best", oh, those fab and groovy 60s and 70s!!!!

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM

:agree: :agree: Even remember at that young and naive age getting up a petition at school to stop Stein's transfer to Rangers!!!!

And you're right - that time too was my introduction to Hibs selling players, literally, left, right and centre!

Plus ca change......

hibbie02
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Yep - also remember him going down south touted as "the new George Best", oh, those fab and groovy 60s and 70s!!!!

He was even a guest on Top of the Pops (presenting a prize for the best dancer)one time......... Where's me zimmer!!!

Keith_M
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
He was even a guest on Top of the Pops (presenting a prize for the best dancer)one time......... Where's me zimmer!!!

I saw a clip of that years later.

He was more wooden than Pinocchio :greengrin

hibbybrian
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM

1966 Pic including a great winger, a great centre/winger and some auld English fellie :greengrin

marinello59
02-01-2010, 10:19 PM
1966 Pic including a great winger, a great centre/winger and some auld English fellie :greengrin

Great pic.:thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM

I gret ma eyes out when Stein left. After that I realised that this was how it was going to be :boo hoo:

I honestly thought Peter was the best player in the World :greengrin

Ray_
02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Was he not subbed at half time in the new year derby at ER so as he could sign for Arsenal ? Or is my mind playing tricks on me ?

If I remember correctly he didn't play, hibs had told the press that he had been dropped. Like everyone else at the time, I was totally gutted at the time, still, that guy we bought from Partick for 35k done no bad a job as a replacement, we managed to keep him for a while anyway.