PDA

View Full Version : Barr and Arfield Wouldn't get a game - Stokes

Baw187
11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/143769-stokes-falkirk-duo-wouldnt-get-a-look-in-at-hibs/

Probably fair comment.

james62
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/143769-stokes-falkirk-duo-wouldnt-get-a-look-in-at-hibs/

Probably fair comment.

I think the headline there is a bit misleading, if you look at the quotes from Stokes he hasn't actually said that.

Hibs90
11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
There's also another article onthere where it says Hughes admits interest in Barr, and when you read the quotes, he says nothing of the kind.

PC Stamp
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
No real surprise that STV are going down the tubes with that sort of sensationalism. TV's version of the Scottish Sun!

Baw187
11-12-2009, 03:34 PM
No real surprise that STV are going down the tubes with that sort of sensationalism. TV's version of the Scottish Sun!

As sensationalistic as the headline is, Stokes' actual comments are fair enough.

Golden Bear
11-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I think the headline there is a bit misleading, if you look at the quotes from Stokes he hasn't actually said that.

:agree:

Andy74
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
As sensationalistic as the headline is, Stokes' actual comments are fair enough.

They are, but how long are we going to keep playing this well? There's always opportunities for guys to come in. Rankin for example had to play right wing against Hearts, I'd much rather have had Arfield to call on.

Also, I'm not sure we will be able to maintain the defensive consistency we want to challenge for the title if we had to call on McCormack or Hanlon at centre half at this stage in their careers. Barr would come right in there no problem.

Though he said they would be great additions to the squad so he's covered that.

Jim44
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Whether they would be good for the squad or not is a matter of conjecture and opinion but I think that Stokes was unwise to give his opinion to the press. To be fair he was possibly responding to a line of questioning from a journo but I still think players should make diplomatic replies to silly and leading questions to avoid misquotes and mis-interpretation.

The_Todd
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Stokes ACTUAL comments were: "I think they'd be great for the squad but there'll still be a lot of competition because they'd have to be playing well week in, week out to get into this team at the minute."

Come off it, STV. That's a horrific headline.

PC Stamp
11-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Indeed ... but what's the first thing anyone notices?
That's the sort of thing that could end up bladdered all over the gutter press without anyone fully reading the story!

Rory89
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
How can any respectable journalist change 'They wouldn't be guarenteed a game' to 'they wouldn't get a look in'. They may as well have had a headline saying Stokes: 'I hate everyone at Falkirk and wish them all a slow and painfull death', because as others have said they have just totally made up that headline.

FWIW, Barr would definitely get a game for Hibs and Arfield would probably be in and around the first team depending on form. Barr is better than Hogg and even if you dispute that I'd rather have him at right-back than Wotherspoon, providing Wotherspoon was competing for a game in midfield.

Stack

Barr Bamba Hogg Murray

Zemmama McBride Miller Arfield (Wotherspoon in contention in mf)

Stokes Riordan.

Not bad tbh, if we could get these two and hold on to our best players, plus Rangers selling anything of value, then I'd BUH-LEEEV as the jambo's would say.

Peevemor
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I hate all journalists. They should be chemically castrated.

Barr and Arfield would be guaranteed a start every week. Bin Wotherspoon - he's pish.

Stack

Barr Bamba Hogg Murray

Zemmama McBride Miller Arfield

Stokes Riordan.

Phwoah! Champions league place no bother with that lot

I don't see anything wrong with it. :greengrin

Rory89
11-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Official: Peevemor sees something wrong with something.

I don't see anything wrong with it. :greengrin

I could write headlines for a living.

Judas Iscariot
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
How can any respectable journalist change 'They wouldn't be guarenteed a game' to 'they wouldn't get a look in'. They may as well have had a headline saying Stokes: 'I hate everyone at Falkirk and wish them all a slow and painfull death', because as others have said they have just totally made up that headline.

FWIW, Barr would definitely get a game for Hibs and Arfield would probably be in and around the first team depending on form. Barr is better than Hogg and even if you dispute that I'd rather have him at right-back than Wotherspoon, providing Wotherspoon was competing for a game in midfield.

Stack

Wotherspoon Barr Bamba Murray

McBride Miller Arfield

Zemmama Stokes Riordan

Not bad tbh, if we could get these two and hold on to our best players, plus Rangers selling anything of value, then I'd BUH-LEEEV as the jambo's would say.

Better :wink:

--------
12-12-2009, 01:39 AM
What Stokes actually said was: "They're two top-class players and I think they'd improve any side they went into. But would they get a chance here if they came? Because you have to look at the squad we have. The midfielders we have are very good, I think the centre-halves we have have been tremendous this year. I think they'd be great for the squad but there'll still be a lot of competition because they'd have to be playing well week in, week out to get into this team at the minute."

That seems to me to be absolutely fair comment. He doesn't say anything derogatory about Arfield or Barr. He says nothing bad about his present team-mates. He doesn't say they're coming, or that they aren't coming. He sums up the present situation at ER in regard to the squad and two possible additions to it accurately and honestly.

"Great if we got those guys, but they'd have to work very hard to get into the team right now if they came."

Any offence is in the headline and the spin the reporter puts on his comments. Stokes knows very well that if he says anything out of line he'll have to justify himself to John Hughes and to the board, and he's not stupid - this reporter's been fishing for a quote and Stokes has answered him straightforwardly and sensibly IMO.

Good that Hibs and Yogi trust the players to answer questions from reporters, and good that players like Stokes show they're responsible enough to handle the responsiblity IMO.