PDA

View Full Version : Scotland under 16's

Alan Thomson
27-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Seems our much vaunted youth set-up is not producing so many stars at the moment! I was very disappointed to see the team against England was made up almost entirely of O.F. and Hertz kids. Can't think what any decent dad is thinking of allowing his son to sign for any of that lot.

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2009, 09:01 AM
This will probably come back to haunt me, but what the heck: Islam Feruz = Jose Quitongo. All the skills and tricks in the world to beat a man, somewhat dangerous inside the box, but can't pass a ball to save his life.

The only really good Scottish players were the right side player (#10) and the left centre half.

Andy74
27-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Seems our much vaunted youth set-up is not producing so many stars at the moment! I was very disappointed to see the team against England was made up almost entirely of O.F. and Hertz kids. Can't think what any decent dad is thinking of allowing his son to sign for any of that lot.

We've never been well represented at that level but we make up for it later on. I wouldn't see it as any sign that we won't produce players in future.

offshorehibby
27-11-2009, 09:51 AM
what was the score

Part/Time Supporter
27-11-2009, 10:04 AM
what was the score

2-1 England.

Scotland gave about as good as they got for about an hour but fell out of it completely after that.

Perspective
27-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I went along last night and thought there was a lot to be hopeful about.

Against a very athletic English side none of the boys shirked a tackle. They tried to play the ball on the deck and, in the main, their touch and movement was good.

The Aberdeen boy (captain and scorer) Jack Grimmer has definitely got 'it'. Wouldn't be shocked to see him and Fyvie as a midfield pairing for Aberdeen in a year's time despite their age. Feruz will also be a player. I've seen him a few times and there's a lot to work with.

Felt for the young centre-back who cost us the first goal (even if he is a Jambo). Not much you can do when the ball bounces off your standing foot like that. He'd been doing well up to that point - putting his head in where it hurts - and didn't hide after the mistake.

Here's hoping those involved keep progressing.

Woody1985
27-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I watched the game last night and was impressed by Feruz but he needs to learn when to pass the ball and when to hold onto it. Still, he's got plenty of time as he's only 14 I think!

I was impressed by the pace of some of the English boys. Number 7 was a rocket! They've certainly got a lot of good young boys in their side.

I felt some of our guys needed a bit more composure on the ball a lot of the time.

bob12345
27-11-2009, 11:54 PM
This will probably come back to haunt me, but what the heck: Islam Feruz = Jose Quitongo. All the skills and tricks in the world to beat a man, somewhat dangerous inside the box, but can't pass a ball to save his life.

The only really good Scottish players were the right side player (#10) and the left centre half.

I think I am right in saying he was the youngest guy on the pitch by well over a year?

martin63
28-11-2009, 07:26 AM

One of the guys I work with is a ref and quite often does the hibs u16's and according to him we have some brilliant young players coming through and he was surprised to say the least as to the omition of them from the Scotland set up. So I wouldn't be too worried about what is coming through the ranks.

GGTTH :notworthy:

Nakedmanoncrack
28-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I went along last night and thought there was a lot to be hopeful about.

Against a very athletic English side none of the boys shirked a tackle. They tried to play the ball on the deck and, in the main, their touch and movement was good.

The Aberdeen boy (captain and scorer) Jack Grimmer has definitely got 'it'. Wouldn't be shocked to see him and Fyvie as a midfield pairing for Aberdeen in a year's time despite their age. Feruz will also be a player. I've seen him a few times and there's a lot to work with.

Felt for the young centre-back who cost us the first goal (even if he is a Jambo). Not much you can do when the ball bounces off your standing foot like that. He'd been doing well up to that point - putting his head in where it hurts - and didn't hide after the mistake.

Here's hoping those involved keep progressing.

I was there as well and woud agree with much of this, worth mentioning the total unsuitability of Tynecastle for holding International matches at any level, this coming just a couple of weeks since the ladies also played there. Only the decrepit main stand was open, I'd forgot how bad it was.