PDA

View Full Version : Thicot/McCormack/Hanlon

Hibs90
04-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Where have all these guys disappeared to?

RoslinInstHibby
04-11-2009, 09:15 AM
just not quoted at the moment i guess.....

i reckon Thicot, Rankin & Stevenson could be away in january

Speedway
04-11-2009, 09:21 AM

The West Upper.

ahibby
04-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Thicot knows what ER pitch looks like and feels like but he must have forgotten what it means to play a competitive match on it. The other two didn't in my view add to our chances when given theirs and I think it was right to bring David Witherspoon through now which means we can't play to many other young inexperienced players in one team, considering Galbraith and Bryce deserve a run out now and again too. As long as Ian Murray makes the left back slot his then Hanlon can't get a game unless Yogi trys him in left mid field slot in front of Murray sometime. That might not be as daft as it sounds as Hanlons strength has been going forward IMO. McCormack seems to be being kept out by Witherspoon and I think that's fair for the time being. Thicot might be used when we have injuries or absences at the back but I won't be holding my breath.

GlesgaeHibby
04-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Thicot knows what ER pitch looks like and feels like but he must have forgotten what it means to play a competitive match on it. The other two didn't in my view add to our chances when given theirs and I think it was right to bring David Witherspoon through now which means we can't play to many other young inexperienced players in one team, considering Galbraith and Bryce deserve a run out now and again too. As long as Ian Murray makes the left back slot his then Hanlon can't get a game unless Yogi trys him in left mid field slot in front of Murray sometime. That might not be as daft as it sounds as Hanlons strength has been going forward IMO. McCormack seems to be being kept out by Witherspoon and I think that's fair for the time being. Thicot might be used when we have injuries or absences at the back but I won't be holding my breath.

Who?:confused::wink:

I know Witherspoon is a pub, but who is Bryce?

Hanlon would be played at CH before LM.

Andy74
04-11-2009, 09:26 AM

:confused:

Are you suggesting you'd play them just now?

Hibs90
04-11-2009, 09:36 AM

No. Why would ask such a stupid question? I wouldn't change our backline or midfield at the moment as were on a great run of form, I just wondered why these guys weren't even getting a look in on the bench.

ahibby
04-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Who?:confused::wink:

I know Witherspoon is a pub, but who is Bryce?

Hanlon would be played at CH before LM.

I'm obviously having an off day of course I meant Wotherspoon (I think). Who is Bryce, I am beginning to wonder myself maybe I could say something corny like B Rice but naw. I got his first name wrong on Saturday too mixing him up with Sean Welsh or Welch or whatsisname. Funny that when I think of that I remember his name, Byrne not Bryce, names are another of my non fortes (don't correct this please).

oneone73
04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
No. Why would ask such a stupid question? I wouldn't change our backline or midfield at the moment as were on a great run of form, I just wondered why these guys weren't even getting a look in on the bench.

Thicot's on the bench most weeks.

Baw187
04-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Itching for an argument Andy? :greengrin

I feel for Thicot because he could probably do a job a CB - he's just not going to get a chance. Falls in to the Humphrey Rudge catagory.

The other 2 aren't good enough IMO. Can come on as subs as cover but nowhere near decent replacements for what we have.

scoopyboy
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM

They are all still on the radar.

Yogi always has an attacking bench. His theory is that he has 3 centre halves in his back 4 at present so an injury to a central defender can be filled from within. He could then put Stevenson or Rankin into LB if Murray went to middle.

What I don't understand is why Thicot was on the bench on Saturday when he didn't get picked for the bounce game against Airdie the previous Tuesday when McCormack and Hanlon were the centre halves.

FWIW Hanlon and Wotherspoon are in the under 21 squad for Azerbwhatever game on the 14th.

Green Mikey
04-11-2009, 10:45 AM

I feel for Thicot because he could probably do a job a CB - he's just not going to get a chance. Falls in to the Humphrey Rudge catagory.

The other 2 aren't good enough IMO. Can come on as subs as cover but nowhere near decent replacements for what we have.

You mean rubbish?:greengrin

Baw187
04-11-2009, 10:48 AM
You mean rubbish?:greengrin

:agree: :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I rate Thicot, would rather he partnered Bamba than Hogg..

Hanlon will definately be our LCH in the future!

I don't think McCormack is good enough and will be moved on in January or the summer..

Oranje39
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I want Thicot to stay as he is good back-up, I would have preferred him getting a shot at CH when Hogg was dropped too.

Andy74
04-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Why would I ask such a stupid question?? Not sure I could beat your opener - what sort of answers where you expecting?

Abducted by aliens, joined a cult? Something of that nature?

If not then surely you were really suggesting they should be in there?

Andy74
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Me? :greengrin

Just thought it a strange question when the team, as well as the guys on the bench who've been called upon are all doing well.

Isn't it obvious where they are?

Hibs90
04-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Why would I ask such a stupid question?? Not sure I could beat your opener - what sort of answers where you expecting?

Abducted by aliens, joined a cult? Something of that nature?

If not then surely you were really suggesting they should be in there?

Or maybe I was just wondering why they find themselves down the pecking order, especially McCormack and Hanlon don't even make the bench these days. I don't think we should change the team as it is doing well, but they both started the season reasonably well and have all of a sudden just disappeared.

GreenCastle
11-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe these 3 get a run out in the near future with Bamba away for a month ?

offshorehibby
11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
On Yogi's latest BBC interview he says Hanlon got MOTM against Sunderland at L CH. Wouldn't be surprised if we see him in there when Bamba's away at the AN.

GreenCastle
11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
On Yogi's latest BBC interview he says Hanlon got MOTM against Sunderland at L CH. Wouldn't be surprised if we see him in there when Bamba's away at the AN.

I've seen all 3 of them play well at some point in a Hibs shirt.

What do we all think thier best postions are ?

Baw187
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Haven't seen Hanlon anywhere else but LB so hard to say, but going from reports from others, including Yogi, it would seem that CB is his position and he will go to excell there. I'd rather see him bled in to the team at CB than force him in to another position he's not natural at. Same goes for McCormack. Both need a wee bit more beef on them before taking up CB in the SPL though IMO.

Stevenson is best at left back and is adequet cover for us there. I don't think he's got enough in his locker for midfield.

Thicott.. coudnae tell you cause barely seen the boy play. PLayed okish in defensive midfield against Barca when he came on 2nd half but not seen enough of him elsewhere to comment.

scoopyboy
11-12-2009, 01:47 PM

McCormack - right sided centre half, second choice right back

Hanlon - left sided centre half, second choice left back

Thicot - unused sub

Kerrplunk
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Thicot - unused sub

For sure,just never been able to see what people like about him.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM

MOTM Display when we beat Celtic last year from Midfield...

GreenCastle
11-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Played well in Derbies at Tynie when Jones didn't play last season :confused:

Not been given enough of a run for us to judge.

Brooster
11-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Thicot - unused sub

Heart the size of a pea, complete bottle merchant who hides from the ball - I'm glad he doesn't feature these days. Harsh but true.

Andy74
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Heart the size of a pea, complete bottle merchant who hides from the ball - I'm glad he doesn't feature these days. Harsh but true.

Rubbish, he is unfortunately just a litlle laid back due to the style of football he's played all his life but has done really well in games like the one at Tynie when he helped in getting a win in difficult circumstances.

I really dislike people questioning people's desire when they've no idea at all about how hard they work. Hughes has been praising the attitude of everyone who has found themselves out the team and Thicot will come into that.

Kerrplunk
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Rubbish, he is unfortunately just a litlle laid back due to the style of football he's played all his life but has done really well in games like the one at Tynie when he helped in getting a win in difficult circumstances.

I really dislike people questioning people's desire when they've no idea at all about how hard they work. Hughes has been praising the attitude of everyone who has found themselves out the team and Thicot will come into that.

I am a home game only supporter these days so can't comment on the games where people have said he played well away from home. I'm not one for criticising our own players either but i cannot remember walking away from Easter Rd and thinking Thicot had a good game today. Not questioning his attitude or desire but just don't think he is good enough and judging by the game time he has had this season - neither does Yogi!

Andy74
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I am a home game only supporter these days so can't comment on the games where people have said he played well away from home. I'm not one for criticising our own players either but i cannot remember walking away from Easter Rd and thinking Thicot had a good game today. Not questioning his attitude or desire but just don't think he is good enough and judging by the game time he has had this season - neither does Yogi!

Nowt wrong with that, its these old heart the size of a pee comments that I hate based on precious little. Is it only people who run about mental that have any heart?

Green Mikey
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Nowt wrong with that, its these old heart the size of a pee comments that I hate based on precious little. Is it only people who run about mental that have any heart?

Heart maybe...brains no:wink:

IMO Thicot isn't that good a player, too slow and lassez faire to play at the back or deep in midfield. He came with a good reputation from his youth days but it doesn't seem that he has built on his early promise.

He could be off in January if, as expected, Hughes signs another centre half.

scoopyboy
11-12-2009, 04:38 PM

What Yogi says in interviews and what he says behind closed doors are not necessarily the same.

This comment is not releted to this thread.

BEEJ
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Or maybe I was just wondering why they find themselves down the pecking order, especially McCormack and Hanlon don't even make the bench these days..
Came on as a sub after 68 mins at ER against Falkirk on 28th November! :confused:

Fairly recent, no?

Hibs90
11-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Came on as a sub after 68 mins at ER against Falkirk on 28th November! :confused:

Fairly recent, no?

Look at the date when I made a post. :wink:

BEEJ
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Look at the date when I made a post. :wink:
:rolleyes:

Too hard to keep up here sometimes! :grr:

I wish when threads were trawled back up to the front page from the depths of page 9 or 10 that the title of the thread could somehow be amended automatically to add the word 'ARCHIVE' or 'OLD'.

Rossco1875
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
would like to see thicot given a chance when bambas off to the african nations

Brooster
11-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Actions speak louder than words and the fact that he is nowhere near the 1st team just proves that Yogi doesn't rate him. I've seen Thicott play in 3 or 4 bounce games this season and he has been murder.

GreenCastle
11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Actions speak louder than words and the fact that he is nowhere near the 1st team just proves that Yogi doesn't rate him. I've seen Thicott play in 3 or 4 bounce games this season and he has been murder.

His last 1st team appearance was the bench on 21st Nov against St Mirren.

Mibbes Aye
11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
MOTM Display when we beat Celtic last year from Midfield...

He was also outstanding in midfield against Celtc in the 1-3 game.

Think if he was playing, Hibs would get more out of him in a midfield role than a defensive one, but given the performances from centre-mid this season it's hard for anyone to break in.

ancient hibee
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
What Yogi says in interviews and what he says behind closed doors are not necessarily the same.

This comment is not releted to this thread.
I'm sure that Hughes like all good managers will have told the players that the only comments of his that matter are those in the dressing room.

erin go bragh
11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
would like to see thicot given a chance when bambas off to the african nations
i cant see that happening as yogi had the chance to play him at the pbs[when bamba was out]and he played murray .
i think thicot will be off in january and to be frank apart from that 1 game last season at the pbs he has been pretty average no:confused:
get him off the payroll and someone better in.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Did anything ever come about with Gambia's interest in calling up Thicot?