PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Rabbits Out Of Hats / Mendieta (merged)

Speedway
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I was reflecting on the signing of Liam Miller and that the whole thing was set up by a phone call to Yogi by Miller after having been recommended by a mutual friend.

I was thinking about January signings and talking to my Middlesborough supporting buddy before the Kilmarnock game a couple of weeks back. The discussion got onto ex-Boro players like Maccarone (apparently he was a big cheese) Anyway, the conversation reached Mendieta, the £29m player. I had long since forgotten about him and asked what he was up to now.

My mate tells me that he hasn't had a club since he was pushed out at 'Boro and still lives in the area with his family. At 35 his best years are certainly behind him but I thought as a right sided midfielder, he'd possibly be suited to a wing back role these days.

Do you think Yogi will pull this sort of rabbit out of the hat in January and come up with a 'big name' signing who just wants to enjoy his football again, like Miller?

RoslinInstHibby
03-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Mendieta was quality, i remember thinking when he first signed for Boro that it was a great move for them. Funny how things don't work out at certain clubs for players eh?

Whilst i don't think we could/should sign him, i defo think there are a few more gems in the Miller & Stokes mould out there, Yogi has made contacts up & down the country so i would not rule out another "big" signing in Jan.

MacBean
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Mendieta was quality, i remember thinking when he first signed for Boro that it was a great move for them. Funny how things don't work out at certain clubs for players eh?

Whilst i don't think we could/should sign him, i defo think there are a few more gems in the Miller & Stokes mould out there, Yogi has made contacts up & down the country so i would not rule out another "big" signing in Jan.

A nice big Centre half!

What happened to the Pray Smiley???:confused:

Tinyclothes
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I think we're due another player of the status of Sauzee so someone of the ilk of Mendieta might be on the cards. Proabably not him though.

Saorsa
03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
A nice big Centre half!

What happened to the Pray Smiley???:confused::confused:

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Gregor
03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
What a coincidence ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8323143.stm

Speedway
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
What a coincidence ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8323143.stm

Freaky.

Yarm - that's the place he said. I couldn't remember it.

Would everyone here regard the following as 'Big Name' signings?

Mendieta?

Volz?

McNamara?

panshibby
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I dont know if anyone can remember this player, he was a stalwart for Valencia in La Liga and signed for Lazio for them a fee of £29m. He m,oved to Middlesborough and since a bust up with Southgate has been out of the game.

i note that he still stays in the North East fo England, does anyone think that he could do for us what Le God was able to do, if only to help/advise our youngsters???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8323143.stm

Cropley10
03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I dont know if anyone can remember this player, he was a stalwart for Valencia in La Liga and signed for Lazio for them a fee of £29m. He m,oved to Middlesborough and since a bust up with Southgate has been out of the game.

i note that he still stays in the North East fo England, does anyone think that he could do for us what Le God was able to do, if only to help/advise our youngsters???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8323143.stm

Er, no.

panshibby
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
oops just noticed the previous thread :wink:

panshibby
03-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Er, no.

er No, u cant remember him or Er no he would not be able to do a job for us? :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Zidane hasnae been up to much for a while, maybe we should give him a fone! People need to calm down a bit we dinnae want to start sounding like delusional Yams.

Cropley10
03-11-2009, 10:44 PM
er No, u cant remember him or Er no he would not be able to do a job for us? :wink:

Hutchy's summed it up for me below.

Zidane hasnae been up to much for a while, maybe we should give him a fone! People need to calm down a bit we dinnae want to start sounding like delusional Yams.

Hamish
08-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Was at the Fife derby today.

Young lad Calum Woods playing left back for the Pars was the best player on the park

Was he not mentioned as a possible target in January??

Hibercelona
08-11-2009, 02:17 AM

Young lad Calum Woods playing left back for the Pars was the best player on the park

Seen him a few times.

He's a very promising youngster. :agree:

Jack
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM

I understand the Pars chairman described our offer as 'a waste of admin time'.
While he seems to be in the mold of full back that Yogi is looking for I've been told by Pars fans he is a bit slow for the SPL and would be caught out of position quite a lot.

Hamish
08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Didn't look it to me and I didn't think there was a lot of difference in pace between a normal SPL game and this one.

Certainly he seems to like to bomb forward at every opportunity. Sure Riordan could drop in a LB when he did so:dizzy:

Speedy
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Did Yogi not say he didn't want anyone over 30(might actually have been younger than that)?

Makaveli
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Did Yogi not say he didn't want anyone over 30(might actually have been younger than that)?

28 was the cut-off apparently.